The Verge: Westworld showrunners are creating a Fallout show for Amazon

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
I love the atmosphere of the Fallout games. I want this to be good, but it seems like it would be easy to get wrong.
https://www.theverge.com/21311513/amazon-fallout-tv-show-prime-video-westworld-creators-bethesda
Amazon is making a new Fallout TV series based on the popular post-apocalyptic RPG games from Bethesda.

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1278734040552615939

https://bethesda.net/en/article/22U...on-studios-to-develop-series-based-on-fallout

IMO, they must license The Ink Spots song:

Last edited:
Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy seem like hard core sci-fi fans...Amazon is becoming a great destination for fantasy/sci-fi

Yeah the last season sort of went wonky for Westworld, but, cautiously optimistic.

Yeah the last season sort of went wonky for Westworld, but, cautiously optimistic.

What? I loved it. It was the best season Imo.
My type of sci-fi and just in time to get us hyped for Cyberpunk.

Hmmm.... We'll see. I have some concerns about making a show, which will require a plot, from a game series where the plot is frequently inconsequential to the actual game.

I feel like the only way this would work would be if they ignored things from the point of view of the main charactors of the fallout games and instead focused on something like the formation of the brotherhood of steel after the war.

What? I loved it. It was the best season Imo.
My type of sci-fi and just in time to get us hyped for Cyberpunk.
Old fashioned, left turns and loop de loops outside of established lore annoy me, and I have been reading and watching Westworld since the 70's. It was not terrible or anything, it just was not what I wanted at the end.

As long as it doesn't have a plucky, rebellious "hero" who, while they are utterly incompetent and make horrible decisions ... somehow, they're loved by all and treated like the golden child. I fucking hate that story. Sadly, it is far too common these days.

"post-apocalyptic RPG games from Bethesda"

That's all you need to know.

I tried to get into westworld butt it was just meh. I am not excited about this given that. I am hoping they dont destroy the franchise.

It its anything like Fallout 3 or 4, It'll be a $hit sandwich. Lets hope for New Vegas quality. "Yeah right".

Fallout First Look: This Is How the World Ends

Fans of the games should know that everything in the series is officially part of Fallout lore, and Bethesda was careful to make sure the scripts could coexist with previous storylines from the gaming titles

“We view what’s happening in the show as canon,” says Todd Howard. “That’s what’s great, when someone else looks at your work and then translates it in some fashion.” He admits to being envious of some of the TV show’s interpretations and additions: “I sort of looked at it like, ‘Ah, why didn’t we do that?”...Vault Boy not only appears in the show, but the imagery even gets an origin story (which we won’t spoil here). “That was something that they came up with that’s just really smart,” Howard says...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/11/fallout-first-look

Fans of the games should know that everything in the series is officially part of Fallout lore, and Bethesda was careful to make sure the scripts could coexist with previous storylines from the gaming titles

“We view what’s happening in the show as canon,” says Todd Howard. “That’s what’s great, when someone else looks at your work and then translates it in some fashion.” He admits to being envious of some of the TV show’s interpretations and additions: “I sort of looked at it like, ‘Ah, why didn’t we do that?”...Vault Boy not only appears in the show, but the imagery even gets an origin story (which we won’t spoil here). “That was something that they came up with that’s just really smart,” Howard says...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/11/fallout-first-look
https://hardforum.com/threads/fallout-prime-video-series.2016857/

Bethesda has proven that they don't know or give a shit about Fallout lore.

Jonathan Nolan is a lot more competent than J.D. McKay.
yeah but i'm guessing everything that's created for those platforms, amazon, apple, etc. have to fit into their "inclusive utopian vision"

i mean they had someone that was a tolkein expert working with them on that LOR project that kept telling them that everything was wrong and they were gonna piss off fans and eventually they just gave him the boot so they could continue on desicrating the franchise. and it's not even just the streaming guys. they just announced the other day the new superman that's not henry cavill! i guess all i'm trying to say is "I wouldn't get my hopes up". well unless you're just going to not only accept but praise content that's worse than what we got in the 1980's.

they just announced the other day the new superman that's not henry cavill! i guess all i'm trying to say is "I wouldn't get my hopes up". well unless you're just going to not only accept but praise content that's worse than what we got in the 1980's.

the new actor playing Superman actually has the right look...Cavill was excellent but I'm willing to give this new guy a chance and see what he brings to the role (David Corenswet is the actors name)...can't have Cavill playing Superman into his 50's...I don't mind a recast with a younger guy

can't have Cavill playing Superman into his 50's
why not? we've got A.I.

or are you just itching for a "super boy" movie? G..........!!!!!

sorry, but i'm now univested in this franchise now too. i actually liked the adult themed approach that they started taking with some of the D.C. movies and would have loved to see them go down that path and think that would have put up fierce competition to marvel's M-she-U. but they already done screwed the pooch by deficating on the fans. just like everyone else in hollywood at the moment. hope they crash and burn financially! as much as they hope us as fans die. it almost is enough to give me nightmares to think of how many childhoods have been ruined by woke hollywood putting the absolute worse people imaginable in charge of making this type of content. ...really 99% of it. i could probably count the truly great movies to come out in the past year on one hand and probably have fingers left over.

They're going to fuck up the writing and all the presentation in the world won't save it

I think Person of Interest actual got better and better after season 1.

Eh, I would argue it got worse after season 2-3 out of 5 but it was a good show. I didn't know Nolan was brother to the movie director Nolan. The couple at least seems competent so maybe the show won't suck. The pictures from the set look pretty good at capturing Fallout 3/4/76 at least.

I guess I’m in the minority. Loved Westworld all the way through. S3 did get a bit convoluted, but I think S4 was a nice wrap. Wish they would’ve gotten renewed for a final S5 just to show the consequences of the finale, but alas. Not meant to be.

TV series/movies like Westworld are too smart for the average TV audience...Westworld was a thinking person's sci-fi series...big ideas and complicated twisty narrative...people just couldn't keep up and in turn the show never got a chance to complete its full story

TV series/movies like Westworld are too smart for the average TV audience...Westworld was a thinking person's sci-fi series...big ideas and complicated twisty narrative...people just couldn't keep up and in turn the show never got a chance to complete its full story
It really was a brilliant show on a lot of levels. And I think at its most basic the first two seasons worked whether you were more cerebral or not.
If you're the type to shut your brain off, then it could just be a show about robots vs humans, some sex-ploitation, and murder/mayhem. And then season 4 is like "reverse" season 1-2. Again for people not thinking about the show.

But the real themes of the show were <minor/major spoilers ahead, but just bullet points and not spelling out plot points>:
-Is artificial intelligence sentient, and what are the ramifications of that?
-If you create something do you have the right to destroy it or enslave it?
-If it is 'moral', then is the reverse equally as moral? (The nature of power and under what circumstances it's okay to wield it, and by what standard is open rebellion also moral).
-Is the primary issue not whether or not a robot can be sentient, but rather sentience itself? That is to say: does sentience by nature give rise to greed and selfishness? (explored a lot in S4).
-How much of life is nature vs nurture. Depending on what you "remember" and what your "past was" how much does that shape what you will become? (multiple copies of Deloris, Bernard, amongst others)
-Are humans in actuality just machines like what they've created? That is to say, is life deterministic (philosophical idea of determinism)? This is explored through Delos himself and whether it's possible to predict what every individual will do via a super computer (Rehoboam/Serac). And also in S4 a literal interpretation of humans being controlled like machines.
-What does all of this say about the nature of the soul? Is there a soul? Can we simply place the brain scans of a human into a machine and have there be no real difference between the two? Can a soul be created? Can a soul be transferred? (Delos, Bernard, amongst others)
</minor/major spoilers behind, but just bullet points and not spelling out plot points>

Season 5 likely would've explored the nature of hope, selflessness, sacrifice, goodness, etc. I mean, if I had to predict what "Benevolent Deloris" was after for her final test.

It really was a brilliant show. S3 just introduced too many threads that get started off of literally single lines of dialog. And even for someone really trying to pay attention and unravel things, it was just too hard to follow. It was Jonathan going full Nolan. While I know the point was to push into the extremes, I would say for basically everyone it was convoluted and just needed some thoughtful trimming. I'm guessing that after S3, it was hard to get viewership numbers back for S4, even though I think it was much more of a pared down season. I also think that there was some level of expectations that things would finally "get back to the park", which S5 I suppose finally would have. However, good writing evolves the story and gets to the heart of things rather than repeats the same stuff. However it's also very hard to get people to want to take that journey and follow along through all of that.

If I had to criticize Westworld (other than S3), it would be that shows such as Breaking Bad were able to get the audience to follow the evolving story more than Westworld was. However, that is a very delicate and incredibly hard trick to pull off. And requires a lot of thoughtful time in the writing room to really be consistent in tone and what the goals are for the season and for the overall arc of the show so that viewers whether they're cerebral or not can follow the path of the story.

On the other end, there were other elements in the show too that just made it fun. How conspiratorial the show was, how many secrets lurked in the park. The various mysteries. etc etc. A shame it just wasn't appreciated. It's unlikely I'll get to enjoy another sci-fi show to the degree I did on Westworld for a long long time.

Last edited:
It really was a brilliant show on a lot of levels. And I think at its most basic the first two seasons worked whether you were more cerebral or not.
If you're the type to shut your brain off, then it could just be a show about robots vs humans, some sex-ploitation, and murder/mayhem. And then season 4 is like "reverse" season 1-2. Again for people not thinking about the show.

But the real themes of the show were <minor/major spoilers ahead, but just bullet points and not spelling out plot points>:
-Is artificial intelligence sentient, and what are the ramifications of that?
-If you create something do you have the right to destroy it or enslave it?
-If it is 'moral', then is the reverse equally as moral? (The nature of power and under what circumstances it's okay to wield it, and by what standard is open rebellion also moral).
-Is the primary issue not whether or not a robot can be sentient, but rather sentience itself? That is to say: does sentience by nature give rise to greed and selfishness? (explored a lot in S4).
-How much of life is nature vs nurture. Depending on what you "remember" and what your "past was" how much does that shape what you will become? (multiple copies of Deloris, Bernard, amongst others)
-Are humans in actuality just machines like what they've created? That is to say, is life deterministic (philosophical idea of determinism)? This is explored through Delos himself and whether it's possible to predict what every individual will do via a super computer (Rehoboam/Serac). And also in S4 a literal interpretation of humans being controlled like machines.
-What does all of this say about the nature of the soul? Is there a soul? Can we simply place the brain scans of a human into a machine and have there be no real difference between the two? Can a soul be created? Can a soul be transferred? (Delos, Bernard, amongst others)
</minor/major spoilers behind, but just bullet points and not spelling out plot points>

Season 5 likely would've explored the nature of hope, selflessness, sacrifice, goodness, etc. I mean, if I had to predict what "Benevolent Deloris" was after for her final test.

It really was a brilliant show. S3 just introduced too many threads that get started off of literally single lines of dialog. And even for someone really trying to pay attention and unravel things, it was just too hard to follow. It was Jonathan going full Nolan. While I know the point was to push into the extremes, I would say for basically everyone it was convoluted and just needed some thoughtful trimming. I'm guessing that after S3, it was hard to get viewership numbers back for S4, even though I think it was much more of a pared down season. I also think that there was some level of expectations that things would finally "get back to the park", which S5 I suppose finally would have. However, good writing evolves the story and gets to the heart of things rather than repeats the same stuff. However it's also very hard to get people to want to take that journey and follow along through all of that.

If I had to criticize Westworld (other than S3), it would be that shows such as Breaking Bad were able to get the audience to follow the evolving story more than Westworld was. However, that is a very delicate and incredibly hard trick to pull off. And requires a lot of thoughtful time in the writing room to really be consistent in tone and what the goals are for the season and for the overall arc of the show so that viewers whether they're cerebral or not can follow the path of the story.

On the other end, there were other elements in the show too that just made it fun. How conspiratorial the show was, how many secrets lurked in the park. The various mysteries. etc etc. A shame it just wasn't appreciated. It's unlikely I'll get to enjoy another sci-fi show to the degree I did on Westworld for a long long time.
If you really enjoy thinking sci-fi checck out The Expanse and For All Mankind. Excelllent shows and The Expanse I think is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made.

If you really enjoy thinking sci-fi checck out The Expanse and For All Mankind. Excelllent shows and The Expanse I think is one of the best sci-fi shows ever made.
I watched about 1.5 seasons of the Expanse and just got bored. My brother raved, and I couldn't see what I was supposed to care about. I thought some of the lore was interesting, but I just didn't care about the characters or the stakes. It's odd because I do find that there are a lot of people with your opinion (like my brother), so not sure what I'm missing. Maybe it gets more interesting after season 2? But that seems like I have to watch a lot of show just to get to the interesting part, and I feel like I shouldn't have to watch 2 seasons of anything before it gets good.

I have watched about 2 seasons of For All Mankind. And for me it's less about Sci-Fi and more about the drama element of it. While there are discussions about the implications of what it means if the Space Race kept going and if Russia won the moon landing I suppose are sci-fi related, I don't think they play a prominent roll in the show other than to set the stage for the human story. Which I don't mind, I like drama too. I don't rate the show a 10 out of 10 or anything, but I think it's a reasonably good show.

More creatively bankrupt garbage (like Westworld). Will likely be filled with social justice propaganda.
I have news for you: the purpose of 100% of all science fiction is social commentary and the exploration of moral or ethical topics. "Theoretical future technology" is just a framework to explore implications of said technology and explore the ramifications which always have a moral or social element to them. Just say you don't like sci-fi. It's faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMCM
like this
More creatively bankrupt garbage (like Westworld). Will likely be filled with social justice propaganda.
umm... yeah.
1701395352713.png

Back