The Super Mario Bros Movie - Official Trailer (Teaser)

gvx64

Limp Gawd
I wasn't excited for this when I first heard about it, but I won't lie, this trailer has me hyped.

I like Mario cause he's an Italian plumber and fixes leaky pipes. This movie is long overdue. Walmart right now is selling Video Game Rocker chairs store has like 40 if them with Bowzer and Mario variants.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
Why? What is this movie even about?
I am sure that the plot of the movie will be that Mario has to stop Bowser, just like in the games.

What I liked specifically from the trailer was just how they have brought the characters of Mario and Bowser to life. Bowser totally has a DBZ Frieza feel to him which is exactly the way I pictured Bowser behaving all of these years. With Mario, they definitely based his personality and animation style off of Fix-It Felix from Disney's Wreck-It Ralph (who, to be fair, was basically an homage to Mario in the first place, but Felix was a very successful adaptation of Mario to film which is actually a pretty difficult thing to do right). Both of what I saw from these characters in the teaser really works without betraying gamer's imaginations of how the characters might act and their personalities. I was wondering how they would do Mario, as this will be the hardest hurdle to jump for the movie, and I wasn't thrilled when I heard that Chris Pratt would be voicing the part (at the beginning, I was imagining more of a Jurassic World bad-boy type and it just didn't fit in my mind). I am liking what I am seeing so far though.

Yeah, the trailer got me hyped too. Jack Black nailed the Bowser voice, and its rumored there might be a musical bit involving Bowser in the movie (which would be great).

Luckily enough I've got a 7 year old who's pumped for the movie too (so I won't look like a big creeper when I go to see it on opening night).

like this
So from the sounds of it this won't be the Mario Movie 2 sequel that was teased at the end of the 1993 movie? I get recasting Mario's original actor since he's passed away, but why replace Dennis Hopper's Bowser? He was brilliant in the first one and is still available for acting.

So from the sounds of it this won't be the Mario Movie 2 sequel that was teased at the end of the 1993 movie? I get recasting Mario's original actor since he's passed away, but why replace Dennis Hopper's Bowser? He was brilliant in the first one and is still available for acting.
Dude, Dennis hopper died in 2010, unless there is another actor with same name.

Well, looks like another trailer came out a couple of days ago. Lot's of new goodies:

Another trailer that I came across today. Nothing much new except that we get hear Seth Rogan's voice as DK:

I'm so against a game with the scope of SMB being forced into the concept of a fully fleshed out movie. It is a money grab regardless of how many fanboi's scream in happiness. It is bull shit for small minds. Play the game and enjoy then when you feel the need go watch 1000's of great movies you've missed because you were playing games and not giving any fucks go to that format.

Last edited:
like this
Another trailer that I came across today. Nothing much new except that we get hear Seth Rogan's voice as DK:

Not sure how to feel about that DK voice. The movie is either going to end up being a fun surprise like Sonic or a complete train wreck, no in between.

like this
I'm so against a game with the scope of SMB being forced into the concept of a fully fleshed out movie. It is a money grab regardless of how many fanboi's scream in happiness. It is bull shit for small minds. Play the game and enjoy then when you feel the need go watch 1000's of great movies you've missed because you were playing games and not giving any fucks go to that format.

Not sure how to feel about that DK voice. The movie is either going to end up being a fun surprise like Sonic or a complete train wreck, no in between.

I agree that there is a lot of risk here, and this is coming from somebody who has a deep love for the Super Mario franchise. I mean, we already have a history of atrociously bad Mario movies. The closest I have seen to a successful movie concept for Mario would have been Wreck-It-Ralph and what made it so successful is that the writers used the Felix (Mario) and Ralph (DK) dynamic and arcade game as a jumping off point and then had the movie go on its own completely original quest visiting completely different game worlds and meeting characters outside of the arcade game it was based on. If Wreck-it-Ralph had been constrained to remain completely loyal the arcade game and stay within that world, I think that movie would have been flat and uninteresting. The problem is that Nintendo is so over-controlling when it comes to their IP I am not sure that they will be capable of giving up enough creative license to make the SMB movie a success. Nintendo has to be willing to let go if they want to find creative success outside of their corporate offices in Japan.

I actually haven't watched Sonic the Hedgehog movie, although it is absolutely on my to watch list for 2023. Nintendo fans always brag about how much better Nintendo is than Sega but one area that Nintendo can learn a lot from Sega is by choosing to relinquish iron-clad control over their IP. I suspect that the reason why the first Sonic the Hedgehog movie is pretty good is because Sega was OK with just letting go of control over Sonic and let the movie producers and writers have fun and go in their own direction with it and as a result they were able to strike gold. Creativity and control are mutually exclusive things, almost any movie writer will tell you that one of the most important things to being successful in that biz is to not limit yourself. As soon as you impose control over the creative process, the creative juices immediately dry up. Nintendo obviously understands this when it comes to their internal teams, but when it comes to anybody outside of their company they have a completely backwards attitude of stiff, military-like control. A Hollywood production is a lot of risk even if you have the right attitude going in, I hope that Nintendo was able to make that shift in thinking but I don't know. This movie will be a big test for them.

Back