The Story of My Pentium Gigabyte (GA-5SG100) Computer

Many years after playing Final Fantasy VII for PC around 1999 and its legacy as well as aging compared to other games including later Final Fantasy games in the series. If I found myself with scratched Final Fantasy VII Platinum Edition discs that even disc dr. couldn't fix and making images didn't help. This influenced me wanting to build a platform based on the Socket 7 processors specifically the Intel Pentium 233 MHz with MMX as well as to see how well a platform based on that would run Windows XP and other games from around that time or that supported the hardware. I originally had this system in a Lian-Li A71F, but switched to a Lian-Li B10B because I didn't need a case that big and white-faced IDE or PATA optical CD-ROM drives were used because working black faced ones to match the color of the case were too difficult to find by the time I built this system. The motherboard is extremely rare because it has AGP, but I couldn't get even the oldest AGP graphics card I could buy on eBay the Diamond Viper V330 to work and I know there are older AGP 1x graphics cards.

I realize Final Fantasy VII is now on Steam along with Final Fantasy VIII, which I also have and that also suffers from the same problem of scratched discs. However, I built and attempted to run FFVII and FFVIII on this prior to them being rereleased on Steam though, made a video of how to restore classic saved games if cloud save is turned off or turned back on as this will erase local saved games, and found myself stuck in the rerelease at the part prior to the first invasion of shrina because I can't find the battery. Also, the controls are terrible if you run this game on LInux because it doesn't easily support a controller, but it was nice that it ran on Linux and maybe I should just get used to having to use the keyboard until I can get a controller working on Linux. I don't have any pictures taken yet but here are the specs as well as prices paid for each part, which I'm not selling at all especially in the thread section of Hard Forum or price checking and a video demonstrating it following the specs:

My Pentium (GA-5SG100) Computer

-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-5SG100 Super Socket 7 motherboard $100

-Processor: Intel Pentium 233 MHz 32KB L1 cache $50

-Memory: Mushkin PC133 256MB x3 $56.70

-Video: Diamond Viper V330 4MB PCI $5

-Sound: Yamaha XG PCI $5

-LAN: D-LInk 530TX+ $20

-USB: Belkin USB 1.1 4-port PCI $20

-Optical Reader: CD-ROM drive $40

-Optical Writer: CD-RW drive $40

-Floppy Drive: SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LFBL1 - O $7.49

-Case: Lian-Li Silent Series PC-B10B / Advanced Mid Tower Case / Black $229.99

and the video:

Last edited:
Many years after playing Final Fantasy VII for PC around 1999 and its legacy as well as aging compared to other games including later Final Fantasy games in the series. If I found myself with scratched Final Fantasy VII Platinum Edition discs that even disc dr. couldn't fix and making images didn't help. This influenced me wanting to build a platform based on the Socket 7 processors specifically the Intel Pentium 233 MHz with MMX as well as to see how well a platform based on that would run Windows XP and other games from around that time or that supported the hardware. I originally had this system in a Lian-Li A71F, but switched to a Lian-Li B10B because I didn't need a case that big and white-faced IDE or PATA optical CD-ROM drives were used because working black faced ones to match the color of the case were too difficult to find by the time I built this system. The motherboard is extremely rare because it has AGP, but I couldn't get even the oldest AGP graphics card I could buy on eBay the Diamond Viper V330 to work and I know there are older AGP 1x graphics cards.

I realize Final Fantasy VII is now on Steam along with Final Fantasy VIII, which I also have and that also suffers from the same problem of scratched discs. However, I built and attempted to run FFVII and FFVIII on this prior to them being rereleased on Steam though, made a video of how to restore classic saved games if cloud save is turned off or turned back on as this will erase local saved games, and found myself stuck in the rerelease at the part prior to the first invasion of shrina because I can't find the battery. Also, the controls are terrible if you run this game on LInux because it doesn't easily support a controller, but it was nice that it ran on Linux and maybe I should just get used to having to use the keyboard until I can get a controller working on Linux. I don't have any pictures taken yet but here are the specs as well as prices paid for each part, which I'm not selling at all especially in the thread section of Hard Forum or price checking and a video demonstrating it following the specs:

My Pentium (GA-5SG100) Computer

-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-5SG100 Super Socket 7 motherboard $100

-Processor: Intel Pentium 233 MHz 32KB L1 cache $50

-Memory: Mushkin PC133 256MB x3 $56.70

-Video: Diamond Viper V330 4MB PCI $5

-Sound: Yamaha XG PCI $5

-LAN: D-LInk 530TX+ $20

-USB: Belkin USB 1.1 4-port PCI $20

-Optical Reader: CD-ROM drive $40

-Optical Writer: CD-RW drive $40

-Floppy Drive: SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LFBL1 - O $7.49

-Case: Lian-Li Silent Series PC-B10B / Advanced Mid Tower Case / Black $229.99

and the video:

Here's the link to the official motherboard specs:

http://www.gigabyte.no/products/page/mb/ga-5sg100ga-5sg_22#sp

I finally did it and got a Creative Sound Blaster Live+5.1 again, since I've had one in my Original Pentium III Slot 1 and later Socket 370 FCPGA2 Build. I know your asking why would I want this card in my Pentium 233 MHz system and the answer is because the sound card supports as low as a Pentium 90 MHz and I already have a better Creative Sound Card in the Pentium III Tualatin build, which is the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum with the Live Drive. I'm not really excited that much about this, because the system has proved to be painfully slow and difficult to find software for, but the Creative Sound Blaster Live+5.1 is better than the Yamaha XG if you ask me considering it can emulate it and I have drivers for it. Also I wanted to show a side by side picture of the Sound Blaster Live and the Sound Blaster Live+5.1 just to settle any possible disputes or doubts of the existence of the two different sound cards, so look below:

xcruJdx.jpg

Back