The state of VR - Lost it's steam?

I see the need for larger open space is also a major issue, I certainly haven't got a good spot in my house without destroying my place in the process too xD
Depends on the game. Most games allow you to be seated. Sim games (why I bought VR) require you to be stationary. A top seller like Beat Saber has you standing but you don't walk around you stand still except for some minor stepping to the side.
You haven't played VR have you?

So got Project Cars. Tried it for about a minute. I feel like ralphing all over my living room. Thanks Snowdog.

Some people love this for Airplane Sims/Driving, beyond me how they manage it. I'll stick to room scale 1:1 as you put it.

The worst thing I could say about my Project CARS 2 VR (Valve Index) is playing such games with a joypad sucks. Can't do anything without a wheel. But I do know what you mean. Try looking into the corners (10-20 meters ahead) as opposed to what's right in front of you.

My biggest surprise was how well Distance played in VR. It's a fairly wild game as it progresses. Spent about 3 hours with it in a VR setting and it was awesome. Not a trace of ready to puke moments.

Keep in mind those are the first levels. Here's what happens later...

The worst thing I could say about my Project CARS 2 VR (Valve Index) is playing such games with a joypad sucks. Can't do anything without a wheel. But I do know what you mean. Try looking into the corners (10-20 meters ahead) as opposed to what's right in front of you.

My biggest surprise was how well Distance played in VR. It's a fairly wild game as it progresses. Spent about 3 hours with it in a VR setting and it was awesome. Not a trace of ready to puke moments.

Keep in mind those are the first levels. Here's what happens later...

That's true, reminds me I have ridden a monorail for a while in one of the dinosaur games with zero issues. I haven't tried the settings suggested here yet, but, obviously it's a Project Cars issue.

That's true, reminds me I have ridden a monorail for a while in one of the dinosaur games with zero issues. I haven't tried the settings suggested here yet, but, obviously it's a Project Cars issue.

It's a Project CARS issues in the sense that it has detailed asphalt which is scrambling your brains due to un-matching inputs. Here's another cool video in case you need more reasons not to look straight ahead and puke.

Having a static reference point, like a cockpit, helps tremendously. I am no expert in anything but to me it feels as though this technique helps mostly by hiding large parts of our peripheral vision since it's the one that is most sensitive to movements. Too much inconsistent sensory inputs

Last edited:
Can someone explain this "lock-to-horizon" setting in PC2. I had not heard it before this thread. What is it doing exactly?

Last edited:
VR is a fad until it allows seamless full immersion, full compatibility, and is as mainstream as a computer mouse. But it's made great progress since Oculus.

Last edited:
VR is a fad until it allows seamless full immersion, full compatibility, and is as mainstream as a computer mouse. But it's made great progress since Oculus.
You put the HMD on and you get immersion. Compatibility to what? Yeah, not close to that yet.

not compatible with all e-peens...

interesting fact I didn't know until today, I didn't realize VR did so well this quickly... anyone have an update on this? and is the iPhone now considered mainstream, even though smartphone ownership is at like 35% worldwide population?

1*NcXF-t8ZtvZxApDnaFHTfA.png

source

You put the HMD on and you get immersion. Compatibility to what? Yeah, not close to that yet.

It isn't as pick up and play as a mouse or controller yet. Once it is and integrated into everybody's life it will be accepted.

Reactions: Youn
like this
^ well they are selling oculus quest as fast as they can make 'em... so there's the "pick up and play" working out well so far...

No killer app also. If HL3 ever comes out and makes full use, well, that will tell you.

^ well they are selling oculus quest as fast as they can make 'em... so there's the "pick up and play" working out well so far...

Well yeah, but I imagine part of the appeal is the included controllers.

Cell Phone gaming can only be so interesting when only using the screen and motion for inputs. This includes a larger virtual display and hardware controls.

People keep playing phone games without end so there's definitely demand for making a phone-based VR system. But PC-based VR will always be a tiny market ( because you already have the big screen and unlimited choices for controllers).

not compatible with all e-peens...

interesting fact I didn't know until today, I didn't realize VR did so well this quickly... anyone have an update on this? and is the iPhone now considered mainstream, even though smartphone ownership is at like 35% worldwide population?

View attachment 187562
source

GearVR units were given away with new Note and Galaxy phones for a while after release. A lot of people put the headset on a few times to show their friends and never touched them again.

GearVR units were given away with new Note and Galaxy phones for a while after release. A lot of people put the headset on a few times to show their friends and never touched them again.
What was the total that did not use them again?

Yep, correct. Have 2 Gear VR's collecting dust.The quoted figures and source quite old (2016 sales). The Gear VR was bundled with phones so skewing the numbers. But don't consider "Gear VR" true VR, and as said after a few tries most people lay them away. Friends and family members all saw the same trend.

I think Playstation is doing a better job. +4 mln by now. This warrants a PS VR2 with the PS5. Looking what the PSVR already could produce with the crummy PS4, expect the next gen to be quite successful. Xbox has to come with one too.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/...old-sega-cd-kinect-comparison-ps4-playstation

(Vive, Rift, PSVR owner)

My rift eating dust for last 6 months. I have Logitech G29 racing wheel too. I used to play some VR Racing sims, but easily got bored with it.

My rift eating dust for last 6 months. I have Logitech G29 racing wheel too. I used to play some VR Racing sims, but easily got bored with it.
If all you play is racing sims, then of course it would get boring. There are many other types of games out there.

If all you play is racing sims, then of course it would get boring. There are many other types of games out there.
Ah yes, I played RAW DATA, SuperHot VR, GORN, Fruit Nnja, and many more. Most I loved is GORN and SuperHot VR. Thing is that I bought G29 specially to play on VR but I couldnt get happy with whole VR racing sim.

Most VR games only last 1 play through...and those games are only about 6 hours max.

Games that keep me going back: Echo VR, Blade and Sorcery (omg the mods), Pavlov, and Beat Saber. Beat saber becomes a workout routine in the expert/expert+ levels :)

Most VR games only last 1 play through...and those games are only about 6 hours max.

Games that keep me going back: Echo VR, Blade and Sorcery (omg the mods), Pavlov, and Beat Saber. Beat saber becomes a workout routine in the expert/expert+ levels :)

Have you tried Asgard's Wrath yet?

Asgards Wrath is worth every penny. Have also been playing a ton of Synth Riders. It supports cross buy between rift and quest which is nice. Thrill of the Fight on Quest with room scale is also great and has cross buy.

Have you tried Asgard's Wrath yet?

I haven't, but I plan too. Price tag is steep for VR title but it appears to be worth the price after seeing reviews and such.

How, where have I been? Game looks incredible. Really high Metacritic scores, IGN 9.4, I need to check this out.

Asgards Wrath is worth every penny. Have also been playing a ton of Synth Riders. It supports cross buy between rift and quest which is nice. Thrill of the Fight on Quest with room scale is also great and has cross buy.

This game looks insane. Like I-need-to-order-a-VR-headset-right-now level of insane. How much playing time have you gotten from it (or expect to)?

This game looks insane. Like I-need-to-order-a-VR-headset-right-now level of insane. How much playing time have you gotten from it (or expect to)?

I have about 30 hours into it already and I'm still making my way through the main campaign. I haven't been in a few optional dungeons yet either. Officially there's over 40 hours of content.

Which game are you asking about?

Asgards Wrath

I have about 30 hours into it already and I'm still making my way through the main campaign. I haven't been in a few optional dungeons yet either. Officially there's over 40 hours of content.

Asgards Wrath

I have about 15 hours so far and have only made it through like %25 of the game. From what I've read there's around 40ish hours of content with all the side stuff. You can grab a Rift-S on black friday for $350 if you're looking to get into VR. Everybody is different and it might be my age (35) but I only play VR games. The last flat game I tried to play was red dead redemption 2 on PS4 and lost interest after 10 hours or so. Great game but I want to be in the game lol.

I have about 15 hours so far and have only made it through like %25 of the game. From what I've read there's around 40ish hours of content with all the side stuff. You can grab a Rift-S on black friday for $350 if you're looking to get into VR. Everybody is different and it might be my age (35) but I only play VR games. The last flat game I tried to play was red dead redemption 2 on PS4 and lost interest after 10 hours or so. Great game but I want to be in the game lol.
Yeah, my kids always laugh at me when a new games come out and they want to play it, but I ask is it on that archaic 2D screen.
I am leaning towards a quest now that they can be paired with a PC and the lenses are better that the S as well?

I have an oculus go...been wanting to upgrade to the Quest specifically for the above title....but alas can't find the Quest in stock anywere...and not going to pay the higher-price and endorse price-gougers so i wait...

Back