The Samsung QLED q90a will be released in a 43" model.

Wouldn't surprise me if Samsung intentionally leaves off features PC users want so as to not cut into their gaming monitor sales. Why sell you a TV for $1200 if they can sell you a Neo G9 for $2500? They probably use BGR subpixels for the same reason.

Here's hoping Samsung doesn't do the same silly crap on the 2022 model but I'm not holding my breath.

I have the 50" version and yes it has 120 hz and gsync works on it as well.

IMG_0249.JPG

Last edited:
It's officially crap. You need to read the fine print for the numbered points:

"22 4K@120 FPS not supported on 43" model. 23 VRR not supported on 43" model"

Damn, It was getting late so I didn't good looking at the small fine prints. 😣

It's officially crap. You need to read the fine print for the numbered points:

"22 4K@120 FPS not supported on 43" model. 23 VRR not supported on 43" model"
Man, what a serious letdown! :mad: (n)

Guess I'm back to hoping the 42" LG OLED shows up in 2022, or I can try to get used to a 48" LG C1 or 50" QN90A on my desk.

Man, what a serious letdown! :mad: (n)

Guess I'm back to hoping the 42" LG OLED shows up in 2022, or I can try to get used to a 48" LG C1 or 50" QN90A on my desk.

Lol given that Samsung actually decided to gimp the 43" QN90A, I would no longer be surprised if LG decided to gimp the 42" OLED as well. But if they don't then that might put some pressure on Samsung to make the 2022 model have all the features.

Lol given that Samsung actually decided to gimp the 43" QN90A, I would no longer be surprised if LG decided to gimp the 42" OLED as well. But if they don't then that might put some pressure on Samsung to make the 2022 model have all the features.
Yeah that's what I've been talking about. It's long been tradition that the smallest in the line up is absolute trash which is exactly what I expect for the 42" OLED.

Was hoping these manufacturers opened their eyes finally given the 48" success but seems not.

haha damnit, right there in the small print, "not supported on the 43" model". Welp, that was a fun 4 days where we thought we might have a serious contender on our hands. Sorry to get your hopes up boys.

Yeah that's what I've been talking about. It's long been tradition that the smallest in the line up is absolute trash which is exactly what I expect for the 42" OLED.

Was hoping these manufacturers opened their eyes finally given the 48" success but seems not.

Well nothing is set in stone just yet. If the 2022 LG 42" OLED comes out swinging with the full fat feature set I'm sure Samsung will follow up with their 2022 version as well. And CES is just around the corner at this point so it's not like we have to wait that long to find out.

Well nothing is set in stone just yet. If the 2022 LG 42" OLED comes out swinging with the full fat feature set I'm sure Samsung will follow up with their 2022 version as well. And CES is just around the corner at this point so it's not like we have to wait that long to find out.
No way. The 43" is already going to be a small seller and the portion buying it to use as a PC monitor is going to be a very small portion of that. They are not going to cut into their gaming monitor sales just because LG sold a few hundred 42" OLEDs to enthusiasts using it as a monitor.

CES may be around the corner but actual availability is 7-8+ months away. Everyone is going to have to hold on for dear life to what they're currently using.

No way. The 43" is already going to be a small seller and the portion buying it to use as a PC monitor is going to be a very small portion of that. They are not going to cut into their gaming monitor sales just because LG sold a few hundred 42" OLEDs to enthusiasts using it as a monitor.

Then that's their lost. Or not I guess. Eh whatever happens at least I'm content with my displays for the time being.

I don't know what it is about smaller TVs and gimped specs. Afaik there isn't a single 4K <50" TV on the market except the LG CX 48" that is 120 Hz with good HDR, VRR and other bells and whistles.

It cannot be that hard to make a 40-43" TV that runs at 120 Hz. They have all the hardware already and cramming them into a smaller chassis should be a non-issue. Mini-LED backlight might be a bigger challenge but even then, doable.

Right now Samsung is just plain leaving money on the table. The folks looking to buy a 40+ inch 4K TV for a monitor are not the same people buying 27" 1440p gaming monitors. The 4K "larger than 27 inch but smaller than 50 inch with high refresh rate" market is a total wasteland with few good contenders.

I don't know what it is about smaller TVs and gimped specs. Afaik there isn't a single 4K <50" TV on the market except the LG CX 48" that is 120 Hz with good HDR, VRR and other bells and whistles.

It cannot be that hard to make a 40-43" TV that runs at 120 Hz. They have all the hardware already and cramming them into a smaller chassis should be a non-issue. Mini-LED backlight might be a bigger challenge but even then, doable.

Right now Samsung is just plain leaving money on the table. The folks looking to buy a 40+ inch 4K TV for a monitor are not the same people buying 27" 1440p gaming monitors. The 4K "larger than 27 inch but smaller than 50 inch with high refresh rate" market is a total wasteland with few good contenders.

Because PC product and consumer electronics are 2 separate division. They should just introduce a 43" 16:9 gaming monitor in the PC product group.

Last edited:
Mini-LED backlight might be a bigger challenge but even then, doable.
Certainly doable because the worst case scenario is a simple decrease in the number of zones.

In any case, looks like I'm holding onto the FV43U until a viable and worthy alternative crops up.

For close to 50 inches I would go with the 50" Samsung QN90A.

For close to 40' I would go with the 43"Aorus FV43U.

For anything smaller if you're willing to sacrifice size there is a lot of options 165hz & 240hz with outstanding motion clarity because let's face it 120hz looks more blurry compared to 165hz or 240hz. So if motion clarity is what your after no TV is good enough.

Damn was all ready to pull the trigger. That said the days of common place 32" + high refresh 4K monitors is not far away. Maybe Samsung will have a non gimped smaller version of the QD OLED displays next year.

Having messed with my friends 50" QN90A, I found one on Amazon Warehouse as "Used Like New" for $890 and it will be here Monday. I'll probably make a thread for it once it arrives since it seems to be a decent OLED alternative for those afraid of burn in.

Looking forward to your take on the QN90A. Was tempted to pick up a 50" and take my FV back to the office but I'm more tempted to replace my Q90T with one but the Q90T is less than one year old and with CES just a few months away. I want to see what Samsung will bring out next year.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

I was excited by this 43 inch model, thinking hey maybe i'd get this instead of waiting for the lg. But reading here, alas it looks mediocre.
and as you say, I am not convinced yet (until actually announced by lg) that the 42 inch lg won't be a stripped down A1 series, locked at 4k60

All you're going to do is use words like smeary/bloomy/dse/messy/ etc etc why would you even bother? Just so you can act like your high hatting around with your C1? Lol you know damn well you are going to return it. You're ok with your accurate but dim oled at 120hz so you can play consoles games. Why not leave it at that? A self proclaimed "display snob" ever since you bought a C1? Thank LG for acclaiming your new found greatness? lmao you can't possibly be a snob at 120hz with such a dim TV for a monitor. Unless you play on consoles like kids do? I don't know any grown man that plays on a console to be honest. Yea LG oled It has accurate colors & fast response time but has major drawbacks and deep down inside you even dislike It's faults yet still go around tooting your own horn about OLED when you don't have anything to prove except to yourself. You just want to test "the oled competition" to shame it in the forums for your own satisfaction. Basically you're obsessed. Maybe give it a rest? You're C1 is good enough for you? The qn90a is awesome in that it is 2 to 3 times brighter than the c1 and has reasonably fast response time & input lag. Although it does have noticeable blooming. Let's not act like we didn't know that. It also might have dse playing the panel lottery. Let's not act like we didn't know that either. It is huge at 50 inches. Let's not act like we didn't know that either. It's hundreds of dimming zones can't compete with the 8 million pixels of oleds hence the blooming. Let's not act like we didn't know that either. Unless I left anything out? There is your summary in a nutshell, save the drama & enjoy your PS5 & Xbox lol.
At least I'm not the only one you attack I guess.

Damn OLED wars getting into every thread.

Also I'm in my mid 30s and play on consoles. Going to attack me for that too?

I'll probably make a thread for it once it arrives since it seems to be a decent OLED alternative for those afraid of burn in.
Looking forward to it, I'm on the verge of picking up a 50" but I'll wait for some comments from someone using it as a monitor first - all the reviews inevitably treat it as it's sold, a TV.

All you're going to do is use words like smeary/bloomy/dse/messy/ etc etc why would you even bother? Just so you can act like you're high hatting around with your C1? Lol you know damn well you are going to return it. You're ok with your accurate but dim oled at 120hz so you can play consoles games. Why not leave it at that? A self proclaimed "display snob" ever since you bought a C1? Thank LG for acclaiming your new found greatness? lmao you can't possibly be a snob at 120hz with such a dim TV for a monitor. Unless you play on consoles like kids do? I don't know any grown man that plays on a console to be honest. Yea LG oled It has accurate colors & fast response time but has major drawbacks and deep down inside you even dislike It's faults yet still go around tooting your own horn about OLED when you don't have anything to prove except to yourself. You just want to test "the oled competition" to shame it in the forums for your own satisfaction. Basically you're obsessed. Maybe give it a rest? You're C1 is good enough for you? The qn90a is awesome in that it is 2 to 3 times brighter than the c1 and has reasonably fast response time & input lag. Although it does have noticeable blooming. Let's not act like we didn't know that. It also might have dse playing the panel lottery. Let's not act like we didn't know that either. It is huge at 50 inches. Let's not act like we didn't know that either. It's hundreds of dimming zones can't compete with the 8 million pixels of oleds hence the blooming. Let's not act like we didn't know that either. Unless I left anything out? There is your summary in a nutshell, save the drama & enjoy your PS5 & Xbox lol.
You are reaching for the stars here.

I got to play with my friends QN90A a couple months ago and was impressed with the FALD. Bought it for my pregnant wife to replace her 27" monitor so she can use her PC and casual game from a relaxed position farther away on a recliner. Secondary benefit is my kid will grow up watching cartoons on it and also develop into a "display snob."

Why would I replace my OLED with a bigger manhandled used LCD from Amazon? Price was too good to pass up and 55"+ are just too big for her media/fun space.

Whatever is going on in your life that causes such a response over a TV/monitor on a internet forum, hope you get past it.

Well guys it arrived today but what I got was the 55 and not the 50. Looks like it's been opened but never used. Now to debate haggling Amazon to send me the correct size or just keep this. 55 is pretty huge.

20210913_090034.jpg

Last edited:
Well guys it arrived today but what I got was the 55 and not the 50. Looks like it's been opened but never used. Now to debate haggling Amazon to send me the correct size or just keep this. 55 is pretty huge.

View attachment 394730

For the price. The 55" is a no brainer if you can make it work as it has higher spec than the 50" in some area according to the folks over at AVS.

For the price. The 55" is a no brainer if you can make it work as it has higher spec than the 50" in some area according to the folks over at AVS.
Yeah that's what is making me question my decision. 55" hits 2000nits vs 1500nits, has more dimming zones per area of pixels, etc.

EDIT: Just realized the 55" has the ultrawide viewing angle layer which the 50" does not so yeah I'm just going to keep it and figure out how to make it work on my wifes desk. It weighs 39LBS and that's basically the limit for a Ergotron HX.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what is making me question my decision. 55" hits 2000nits vs 1500nits, has more dimming zones per area of pixels, etc.

EDIT: Just realized the 55" has the ultrawide viewing angle layer which the 50" does not so yeah I'm just going to keep it and figure out how to make it work on my wifes desk. It weighs 39LBS and that's basically the limit for a Ergotron HX.
And Amazon hasn't contact you regarding it?? Huh, sounds like a nice little surprise.

Be aware that film they use to make it better for wide viewing may cause a rainbow effect. That is what I've read or saw on youtube, and the 50" doesn't have it so no rainbow effect.

Just read an article [i lost the url] that stated that the 43" qn90a will not support VRR. Don't know if this is fact but there's that.

Hmmm so even if the 43" had 120Hz and VRR, it would still perform worst when it comes to local dimming anyway when compared to the bigger models? That sucks because let's say next years model does have 120Hz + VRR but all reviews are only on the 55" model, it wouldn't give us the full picture on how the 43" model performs. We would need reviews specifically on the 43" size.

Hmmm so even if the 43" had 120Hz and VRR, it would still perform worst when it comes to local dimming anyway when compared to the bigger models? That sucks because let's say next years model does have 120Hz + VRR but all reviews are only on the 55" model, it wouldn't give us the full picture on how the 43" model performs. We would need reviews specifically on the 43" size.

Pretty much confirmed that the 43" is 60Hz and no VRR so the only viable version is 50" and up.

Even if the 43" was capable of 120hz and VRR, the biggest hurdle people would have to overcome is the stark difference in FALD performance between game mode on and game mode off. I think it's acceptable but it makes what are inky blacks outside of game mode significantly worse when it's engaged which is the only way to achieve the lowest input lag. If I had to quantify it, it's like giving up 50% of it's FALD performance/contrast in favor of input lag.

What's sad is even with the FALD being gimped in game mode, it's still better than a PG32UQX which is why I was banking on the 43 for myself.

In a daylit room outside of game mode, IMO it's hard to tell it apart from an OLED in dark content.

How does the game mode look in terms of colours and such? That's obviously the one a PC user would pick for turning it into a monitor to reduce input lag. I ask because the review over at FlatpanelsHD calls it horrendous with associated graphs for SDR and HDR.

Colors look okay to me but greyscale is definitely way off in game mode. I think it would really benefit from calibration overall but it's as usable as my CX which is also pretty inaccurate in game mode.

As for those EOTF curves, HDR does not look to me like it's brightening content anywhere near what those measurements suggest.

I pretty much completely agree with this video:

Colors look okay to me but greyscale is definitely way off in game mode. I think it would really benefit from calibration overall but it's as usable as my CX which is also pretty inaccurate in game mode.

As for those EOTF curves, HDR does not look to me like it's brightening content anywhere near what those measurements suggest.

Great comparison. Both OLED and the QN90A have their pros and cons and one technology isn't flat out better than the other. Really really hoping for Samsung to change their stance on the 2022 43" QN90A successor and add 120Hz + VRR so I can get one to replace the X27. I started Days Gone on my X27 since that's the display that my 3080 Ti is connected to and the game absolutely feels like it has more pop to it while playing in HDR than my CX, the daytime gameplay is a huge difference over the CX. Even during night time I can barely even see any blooming in that game.

Attachments

• 20210911_113554.jpg
    20210911_113554.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210911_112635.jpg
    20210911_112635.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 0
You know what lol I've decided I'm going to get a 50" QN90A & a 3080 or 3080Ti. That's it, I'm done waiting, life's too short! Ill post back when I return with success on my new mission I'm hellbent on achieving! :D

Interesting. I do wish they will stop doing reviews in a dark room and start doing it in some (simulated) real world environments. Sure, it used to be that most serious media watching happens at night but with what's going on, I'm only going to the office 2-3 days a week and it's not like you have many places to go on the weekends. I find myself watching stuff on my living room TV at all times of the day. My Ideal review would be in a room with both light and dark color furniture and can simulate different intensity light sources from varies angles. Should not be hard or expensive to do using something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313220930433?hash=item48ed6c1b81:g:so4AAOSwbFdfYflf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132733906229?_trkparms

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back