The next step after Mini ITX cases?

Flowmotion

n00b
Hello,

5 years ago i witnessed the birth of the ncase m1 and Dan a4 and (...). Today we can buy several case < 10L from several builders. Now i own a few cases, but i am still not satisfied.

Years ago i saw this: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aio-drone-station-drn-stn-review,3741.html

This might be the next step on portable mini pc. Sure you can buy some notebook or some eGPU, but its still not that close to some good pc. The next gen of graficcards comes with 3slot aircooler and wont fit in most of the itx cases. The next gen of cpus like 9900k isnt that easy to cool in a small case. Radiators getting smaller like the XSPC TX Series. PSU are getting cheaper and better (titanium, zerofan SFX). The future might be watercooled, portable PCs mit integrated oled screens on the side panel?

I bought one g-story 17" 120hz screen and its not as good as a full size 23" 144hz display, but its close to be enough. So the next step would be combining the screen with some case and some wireless mouse/keyboard/headset (no bluetooth!).

So is there any mini case on the market with an integrated gaming panel? And please dont mention snowblind side panel.

But when has AIO's been accepted by the core of the enthusiasts?

Its simply not available.

And since the last three month you can buy the first 120hz portable displays (Sibolan, G-Story).

So for portable, you mean? I think the next step is the tech just advances and we have tablets that can run modern games at ultra with high frames. Or powerful phones that you can connect to a USB-C port on a monitor.

As far as talking about a real monitor + PC, I'd rather just have a tiny chassis with a vesa mount on the back of whatever monitor I want. That could still be "portable" if you are willing to lug around the monitor.

You can make a slim APU based system for example now and stick it on the back of a monitor. I did that with the ISK110 a few years ago. I think our desire to get smaller is just limited by the available consumer hardware. There is only so much power you can cram in a small space.

What I am waiting for is when we can finally free ourselves of a separate GPU card altogether AND get high "enthusiast" level performance in a package you can cool with something slim and quiet, or even passively. The tech will get there eventually. Right now there are too many compromises involved.

Last edited:
That wont happy in the next 10 years. Someone already tried to make vesa+atx cases and failed years ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATX-Desk...-VESA-mount-BL-01B-L-2000-WT01L-/201516918693

There are still notebooks with a gameable gpus, but they complain about the need to upgrade every two years, because no one want to pay for old notebooks. The loss of value is quiet high. I see a lot of ppl carry one dan a4 + monitor around. Ok, its smaller, but still a lot to carry. There is a gap between itx and a notebook.

You mean an upgrade-able laptop? Because when you make AIO pcs small form factor, it won't be any different than a laptop that you can upgrade i would imagine. You can also just get a skyreach mini or a4 and a portable 15" monitor which will be more portable than what you linked and also more modular than an AIO.

i want a thin itx that can do 60fps with an apu @1080p

SST-PT13B_07.jpg

would be sweet.

That wont happy in the next 10 years. Someone already tried to make vesa+atx cases and failed years ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATX-Desk...-VESA-mount-BL-01B-L-2000-WT01L-/201516918693

There are still notebooks with a gameable gpus, but they complain about the need to upgrade every two years, because no one want to pay for old notebooks. The loss of value is quiet high. I see a lot of ppl carry one dan a4 + monitor around. Ok, its smaller, but still a lot to carry. There is a gap between itx and a notebook.

Who said ATX? You can stick an ITX slim APU machine on the back of a monitor now. I'm with Master_shake_ here, I think the next big step is going to be just having a solid enough APU for high frames at high res. (I'd want more than 1080p though; you can almost do that already.)

I feel this should of taken off, but it probably wont :(
https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/omni/

I really like what they did with this, and I might have even bought one of these, but I was looking for a variable refresh monitor with a higher than 60Hz refresh rate. I really hope these kinds of systems stick around. The best part of this one is that it is so good for upgrades.

Back