The "My Wii is a Doorstop" club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in the sold that shit on craigslist a year and a half ago club. I'd rather spend the 200 on move controllers than get another one. I guess i missed out on super Mario galaxy 2 but seemed a whole lot like the first one anyway....other than that don't really regret anything

I'm in the club.

Stupidly I only bought it fairly recently... mostly because they released a black version. Don't know why I bothered. I have real trouble dealing with how it looks on my TV.

I'll resurrect it if those arseholes ever release Pikmin 3 though. =/

It gets about the same use as my PS3 and XBox 360....well, those two get a little more, but not by much.

When it came out my kids ( 10 and 8 at the time) kicked and screamed for one. I beat them for throwing a fit, then bought them one. it's been sitting next to the TV gathering dust for about 2 years.

The Wii has some great first party games. Super Mario, Mario Galaxy 1/2, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Wii Sports Resort. The problem is, outside of trivia games, the only third party game I can remember being worthwhile is Tiger Woods 2010+.

LOL It amazes me how much [H] bashes ANYTHING popular. The Wii has lots of great games, you just need to get off your high horse and stop looking at everything as bad.

LOL It amazes me how much [H] bashes ANYTHING popular. The Wii has lots of great games, you just need to get off your high horse and stop looking at everything as bad.

So you play yours (if you have one?) regularly? Those you know that own one play theirs regularly too?

It isn't bashing it's fact.

I'm in the club. My g/f wanted one pretty bad, so she bought one about 2 years ago. Barely gets used, maybe once every 6 months we power it on.

Parents bought one and they were obsessed with it, they told my grandparents and aunt they should get one, and needless to say, they all had fun with bowling for about three weeks and then the new wore off. I don't think I've seen it on in a couple weeks.

U mad?

When I worked in a game store I used to use brand new xboxes as doorstops because they weighed a ton. Would work way better than a wii.

some other good games not mentioned were Rayman Raving Rabids ( the first one only), No more heros, and Wario Ware.

If you can't enjoy some of these games you are too up tight.

some other good games not mentioned were Rayman Raving Rabids ( the first one only), No more heros, and Wario Ware.

If you can't enjoy some of these games you are too up tight.

Quote someone who says they never enjoyed it. We all must have at some point to buy the bloody thing. The problem is there is no variation in 99% of the shit released therefore it becomes an expensive dust magnet.

I still think a poll would really show quick hard facts.

Yeah, mainly Brawl.

Each to their own.

Bought one used last may. Played the sports disk that came with it, my wife has a game for it that she loves and plays it quite often.

Couple of months ago we have to pawn it due to funds being wacked out because of a payroll card. When I pawned it I warned the pawn shop not to remove the SD card and try and use it(soft modded).

Got a call about a week later, turns out they were fucking around with it, bricked it and wanted it out of pawn. I told them they could take it out of pawn, I wouldn't be back for it.

Just got a new(used via gamestop) one last week to replace it. Just need to figure out if I want to soft mod it or chip it.

I got bored with mine, soft modded it, then realized there was nothing special, so I went back to PCs. :p

In my first month of owning the console, I gave mine to my nephew /nieces even though they already had a modded Wii console that won't play certain "real" games.

Ours was collecting dust until we bought Epic Mickey. Also Donkey Kong Returns is a lot of fun. I'm sure that after we play those as much as we want, it'll collect dust again...

I still have a lot of backlog on the Wii. I was quite a ways through Twilight Princess (bought on launch) when I got sidetracked playing Gears of War with my buddies online, Lost Odyssey and Soul Calibur. Then it was Dragon Age on the PC. Then BF:BC2 and more Gears and Street Fighter IV on the 360.

I tend to play too much online multiplayer. Lately it's Soul Calibur IV again, and Marvel vs Capcom 3.

I have a ton of single player backlog. That means the Wii, but also all of the other systems and my PC. If I had to pick up a backlog game, it would probably be 1) Finish Lost Odyssey 2) Finish Twilight Princess (prob by starting over) 3) One of my PS2 RPGs (Or Devil May Cry 3) 4) Play one of my GOG games on my PC (Fallout 1, probably). Hpnestly I'm more likely to play a SNES game on the Wii ;)

The Wii is only neglected because I don't have enough single player time. It still is #1 for when people are over, and my 3 yr old loves Nickelodeon Fit. But my 5 year old loves Kinect Sports instead like crazy now, more than any Wii games. And I don't have to worry about a Wiimote being thrown into the plasma.

All 20mill worldwide? wow

The next Nintendo home console will get nowhere near 90mill. That's nailed on.

quit pulling stuff out of thin air........that way you don't look silly......Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing and if they did release another console based upon the Wii, people would buy it like hotcakes expecially at the low price point they typically come in at.......lol look at how many DS variants were sold......

superior hardware != superior sales.......

Nintendo has proven without a shadow of a doubt that interactive game play gets you sales.....something that MS and Sony are deperately trying to cash in on. (MS does have a winner with Kinect IMHO but the price point is on average $100 higher)

We use ours once a week for Wii Fit... which I don't really give a damn about as i run every other morning. Apart from that my Girlfriend plays on it rarely on one of her games.

My 360 has been a doorstop since I got my PS3 in Oct 08, now I have a high end PC and the ability to play avi files is the only thing keeping my PS3 in use at the moment.

Bought our Wii around Christmas of 2009. Played it a decent amount for 2 months and then it wasn't turned on for 8+ months. I finally convinced my wife to let me sell it...

I owned a Wii for 20 minutes a few years back. I unpacked it carefully, played Wii Sports for 5 minutes. Packed it back up so you couldn't tell it was ever actually opened and then sold it for $100 profit.

The Wii is not for an indivdual gamer. It's a machine that should only be brought out for parties or if you are trying to do exercise or something. The games are gimmicky and have no depth to them. That's why the appeal won't last for anyone, even grandmothers who use it for bowling.

Nintendo dumbed everything down a little TOO much.

Last edited:
Our Wii gets no use at all. Only reason I'm keeping it is for when a new Zelda comes out, I'd like to be able to play it.

To say there are NO good games is bit short sighted. Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Mad World, Tiger Woods, and a few others are legitimately A+ titles. I'd say the problem is that when you go to a store you have to hunt through piles and piles of trash to find those games. For every Mario Kart there are 15 editions of "Petz" with that same clip-art orange cat they've been using for 10 years. The DS has the same issue.
You can't casually shop for anything on a Nintendo system because they have so many shovelware titles.
At my local Target, you can look at the shelf for 360/PS3 games and there's a pretty decent shot you'll grab something that's at least pretty good. The shovelware stuff doesn't stick around on the shelf. Yet for some reason the Nintendo aisle is packed to the gills with it - even the stuff that doesn't sell at all (and has 50 copies taking up a ton of space).
There's something different about the logistics of Nintendo systems that make them seem trashier than they really are.

quit pulling stuff out of thin air........that way you don't look silly......Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing and if they did release another console based upon the Wii, people would buy it like hotcakes expecially at the low price point they typically come in at.......lol look at how many DS variants were sold......

superior hardware != superior sales.......

Nintendo has proven without a shadow of a doubt that interactive game play gets you sales.....something that MS and Sony are deperately trying to cash in on. (MS does have a winner with Kinect IMHO but the price point is on average $100 higher)

lmao

What am I pulling out of the air? Enlighten me. Superior hardware? Oh my aching sides....that is sig material right there!

This thread shows you that ppl will certainly not buy a Wii2 like 'hotcakes'. It seems our resident Nintendo fanboy is burying his head in the sand....get it outta there stat, your going mad from the lack of oxygen!

Last edited:
I have my Wii for the nintendo IPs only, but like many have said on here (maybe I am just growing up) I don't even use it for that.

Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country are both still sealed from when i bought them.

This thread shows you that ppl will certainly not buy a Wii2 like 'hotcakes'.

Agreed - I don't think the Wii2 will sell well unless they do some serious reinventing or pushing the envelope. Why? Very simple. A good portion of Wii sales can be attributed to first time gamers, women gamers, and older gamers (dare I say "elderly").

Those people are not likely to buy a 2nd console, or a 3rd, 4th, or 5th console because for the most part, they buy one, they're happy with what they have, and they don't give a shit what comes out next. The Wii is popular enough that no developer (say for instance 2K) is going to say "the next Just Dance is going to only come out on Wii2", that's not gonna happen. They will not turn their backs on those potential sales numbers.

Developers could publish shovelware on the Wii for 10 more years, and at least 10% of it will sell 250k+ copies to the people who normally don't buy or play games. Those same first time, women, or older gamers.

Wii2 is going to be a hard sell. I don't doubt that Nintendo will come up with something, they are, whether anyone wants to admit it or not - one of the most original idea game companies around. However, they can't pull a 3DS with the Wii2 and do 3D without a 3DTV, so what's next? IMHO the Wii2 will be a slightly upgraded Wii with more HD capabilities; nothing more, nothing less. 720p gaming potential, same lackadaisical online features, same whack "SD cards for storage" mentality.

On the other hand I'll stand by what I've been saying for at least the last year ~ we don't need new consoles. All 3 companies will want those sales and they'll want to (and eventually) do it, but ~ we don't need new consoles. 360 and Ps3 have online/HD gaming entirely to themselves, the only thing either of them can do is manufacture the hardware cheaper yet make it more reliable (ie less prone to failures), and optimize what they have so that every game from here on out is 1080p, 60fps, no dips. I'm sure we'll see all those things in the neXtbox and the Ps4 though. :eek: I will probably buy the next MS and Sony consoles depending on what they do with them. If they are centered around motion controls (ie a Kinect or Move successor), I will pass. I'm definitely not buying whatever Nintendo comes up with next because I got burned on the Gamecube, and ultimately I've been burned on the Wii. If it wasn't for limited availability and seeing 1 left in the store when I went near launch, I probably would have kept walking past it and we would have never bought one. No more Nintendo consoles for me. I've had my fill of their IP's. I'm 33 years old, I've played enough Mario in my lifetime. Meanwhile Metroid and Zelda are the ones they don't put enough titles out there, and those are the 2 franchises I would like to see more games from. (Especially if they did more stuff like Other M where it was 2.5D or more stuff on the Zelda side that was cel shaded like Wind Waker.) As it stands - Nintendo has passed me by as a gamer and I no longer have interest in whatever other consoles they come out with. I'll surely think the 3DS is "neato" but other than playing one in a store display ~ I'm not bothering buying one.

Last edited:
I have 15+ games, prolly beat 75% of them.
Thing with this system is I'll get a new game, obsess over it, beat it, and not touch it again.

The only thing that bugs me about this system is that 480p looks like a blurry mess on my 32 inch HDTV. I give it about 2-3 hours before I have to go back to PC mode, cause it starts irritating my eyes.

Ironically, I purchased a 360 twice, a PS3 once, sold all. Just not worth the price of admission, IMO.
Wii at least is unique,(well before kinect, anyway) which is very debatable about the other consoles, ESPECIALLY if you have a PC that blows both those "high end" consoles out the water.

I really wonder why the wii was hyped so much. It must have been the nunchak controllers and the fun seeing buddies act like monkeys while using them. Boy does call of duty look bad on this.

We had a wii. And rock band and the instruments. I even hacked it to load games off a hard drive. However it was so boring that even with an unlimited library of games I still didn't play it. Sold it and got an xbox.

I haven't played mine in probably 6 months. When I do play it I mainly play VC games. I bought NSMB when it came out and I still haven't played it.

Just bought super mario galaxy 2 for the wii gonna play it at my girlfriends, been wanting to play it but its over there.

That absolutely makes sense to me. It pretty much holds true with all of the people I know that have one, especially the casual non-gamer types.
The only typical Wii usage I usually see/hear about is:
1. Playing one of the dozen or so A-list titles.
2. Using Wii-fit
3. Playing an old (S)NES game they downloaded
4. Watching Netflix if they have no other consoles.

Bought me a Wii once.... played the hell out of Resort for 25 days. Go bored took it back to BB, got a ps3 <3 ever since.

Maybe when my 2yr old gets bigger I'll invest, or give me a reason to get a 360 o.0

Couple of months ago we have to pawn it due to funds being wacked out because of a payroll card. When I pawned it I warned the pawn shop not to remove the SD card and try and use it(soft modded).

Got a call about a week later, turns out they were fucking around with it, bricked it and wanted it out of pawn. I told them they could take it out of pawn, I wouldn't be back for it.

I'd go soft mod route, very very easy.

I know it is easy :p

I owned a Wii for 20 minutes a few years back. I unpacked it carefully, played Wii Sports for 5 minutes. Packed it back up so you couldn't tell it was ever actually opened and then sold it for $100 profit.

The Wii is not for an indivdual gamer. It's a machine that should only be brought out for parties or if you are trying to do exercise or something. The games are gimmicky and have no depth to them. That's why the appeal won't last for anyone, even grandmothers who use it for bowling.

Nintendo dumbed everything down a little TOO much.

For the games that I have played it isn't to bad. But for me atm the biggest perk will be streaming net flix wirelessly across my house until I can get a wireless blu ray player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back