The Highest-Paid College Majors

The degree opens doors. You have to go through them and move on up.

But yes, a guy working in "engineering" who hasn't moved on to management for 20+ years won't be making much more money than grads.

Problem is there's only 1 management job for every 10 engineers. My company recently made a "technical" path that some have climbed. Same pay as management, more fun.

Pharmacists do make a nice salary, however dentists can start at $150k with higher earning potential than pharmacists with opportunity to start your business or private practice.
Not from what I've seen based on my clients ;)

You'd be crazy to go down this route. 8 years of college minimum + all of the liability with working on other people's mouths?

No thank you

Ok, so I just finished up my first semester with a 4.0GPA, and am going to have to make a decision on which way I want to go pretty soon. I'm thinking EE or polymer science (Univ. of MS) - am not sure which way to go. I'm going to be honest, differential equations and CAL IV scare the shit right out of me, as does organic chemistry (for the P.S. degree) - any words of wisdom from those who have lived it? Also, I'm a bit of a late starter, I'm 35...is that going to fuck me over?

Ok, so I just finished up my first semester with a 4.0GPA, and am going to have to make a decision on which way I want to go pretty soon. I'm thinking EE or polymer science (Univ. of MS) - am not sure which way to go. I'm going to be honest, differential equations and CAL IV scare the shit right out of me, as does organic chemistry (for the P.S. degree) - any words of wisdom from those who have lived it? Also, I'm a bit of a late starter, I'm 35...is that going to fuck me over?

I always say do what you like. That's why I'm a ME. honestly don't let the classes scare you. Anything can be done if you put the time and effort into it. Cal and DE Were easy for me but I just get math plus I took them on the junior college level so they may have been easier and had smaller classes. Good luck at univ of ms. Personally I'm a bulldog ha hail state. But that talk is for another forum.

I always say do what you like. That's why I'm a ME. honestly don't let the classes scare you. Anything can be done if you put the time and effort into it. Cal and DE Were easy for me but I just get math plus I took them on the junior college level so they may have been easier and had smaller classes. Good luck at univ of ms. Personally I'm a bulldog ha hail state. But that talk is for another forum.

I work at everything, otherwise, what is the point in going and getting into debt? Those 18-19 year old punks scraping by with their C's and D's makes me sick. I want a better job, I want a better future, I want to have something to contribute aside from ability to answer fucking phones. I'm sick of this nickle and dime dead-end bullshit. Yes, I should have done it earlier, but hey, no time like the present and all that.

I'm honestly scared, but that isn't going to stop me. :)

I majored in Chem E and graduated during the huge recession. I was fortunate enough to be offered a six figure salary entry level job in the Oil & Gas industry. I also got large bonuses and awesome perks. After a couple years, I've left the industry but I never regretted it one bit. Learned a lot about an industry that everyone thinks they are an expert in. Plus it helped paid off my student loans in a year time.

So yeah. If all you care about is making tons of dough and you like a work lifestyle, Chem E, Petroleum E, and Mech E degrees into the O&G industry is a great choice.

Just looked into pharmacists and their salaries. You're telling me the people whining about when the weekend is going to come behind the drug counters at Target are getting paid over $80k a year? That disgusts me.

I'm going to investigate mechanical engineering. Even if I fail or end up in an average-paying job, I'll be able to convince people I'm some kind of Tony Stark.

Im an EE, and my starting at my first job out of college was higher than that by more than $10k. My current job (been here 2 years), I have been promoted 3 times and I dont make that much more than when I started here and I have a shit ton more responsibility/work.

Im an EE, and my starting at my first job out of college was higher than that by more than $10k. My current job (been here 2 years), I have been promoted 3 times and I dont make that much more than when I started here and I have a shit ton more responsibility/work.

Engineers have a very low $$$ ceiling unfortunately.

Have to move into project / people management for bigger $$$ or invent some crap that sells for $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Engineers have a very low $$$ ceiling unfortunately.

Have to move into project / people management for bigger $$$ or invent some crap that sells for $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Yea, I figured early on. If your not Petro, Chem basically you arent going to be making 6 figures very easily. Thats why I am going back for a masters this fall. But at least the starting salary is pretty solid.

Yea, I figured early on. If your not Petro, Chem basically you arent going to be making 6 figures very easily. Thats why I am going back for a masters this fall. But at least the starting salary is pretty solid.

Consultants make good money with EE and ME.Have to have a live to work mentality though.

Consultants make good money with EE and ME.Have to have a live to work mentality though.

I tried to apply for a consulting job but I don't have enough experience is what most say. I would dig a job that allows me to travel and work on different projects. I dont mind putting in 60-70 hrs a week, I already do that between my two job anyways.

Pharmacists do make a nice salary, however dentists can start at $150k with higher earning potential than pharmacists with opportunity to start your business or private practice.

Pharmacist seems like a way more cush job than dentist, though. Plus no digging around in people's mouths.

I tried to apply for a consulting job but I don't have enough experience is what most say.

To make it on your own as an engineer, you pretty much need a professional engineering license.

Serious question: If I want to go back to school for engineering but the degree I already have is in the arts, am I screwed?

Depends on what school you want to go to. I have a UC liberal arts degree, and a UC will not let me go back for an undergrad degree.

Don't feel like paying 100k to get the same thing at a private school, either.

I was taking community college classes to learn everything I'd need to go straight for a master's program, but then someone offered me a decent job. Hard to say no to making a living.

Computer science degrees are risky because they can easily be outsourced and the finished product be transferred back to the US

Yea. It's overly specific. That why I went with mechanical engineering. I can work just about anywhere. Nuclear power plant now doing substation design

As an ME you can work anywhere in the world. I know, I've done it for the last 25 years.

As an ME you can work anywhere in the world. I know, I've done it for the last 25 years.

I have an ME degree and I have been a process engineer, materials engineer, software engineer, database engineer (including a one year assignment in Malaysia), quality engineer, and currently environmental engineer ... I haven't really done anything like true ME work since I originally graduated ... definitely one of the most flexible degrees :cool:

I have a Mech Eng Degree, and work in Naval engineering. PEng license coming in June, don't need it for doing work as a naval officer in the CAF. Getting my PEng will be a good backstop if I feel like moonlighting or getting into defense contracting. I don't crack $100k yet but I got 12 years of pensionable service and counting which I would not have in the private sector. In the Canadian private sector PEngs can make some good coin.

My boss (a submariner) is releasing soon and will be getting out with a $75,000/year indexed federal pension... not bad for a Maj/LCdr who already hit the 35 years pensionable cap.

Engineering is a great way to start your career, but most won't get very far with it. It sounds great when you start at $65k after graduation, but unless you get your MBA and move to management, you're probably going to cap out at ~$130k.

I'm a class of 2010 EE who is getting out of the field as fast as I can. It was great while it lasted, but it's time to move on.

Hah, I make more than the Petroleum Engineer's starting pay, my job title is "Network Engineer" and I don't have my associates yet.
No replacement for military experience and a little networking in the right location.

I do need to get off my ass and knock out my last couple classes before my next hop though. Want to finish my bachelors before my GI runs out.

Looked at College. Decided to get a certificate and employ myself and others.
Money is money at the end of the day. But freedom from corporate America is bliss.

Man, no Biology representation on there. I thought at least something in the Health Care industry would make it. That's what I do, working in a pathology lab at a city hospital, I'd come in at about #2 on that list after 7 years working. To qualify took 4 years of college for my B.Sc., followed by 3 further years to get MLT certification including a clinical year where I basically worked for free. Then I had to actually find and get the job. It was a struggle but given the choice I'd definitely do it all over again, especially college. Best years ever.

Computer science degrees are risky because they can easily be outsourced and the finished product be transferred back to the US

Theres a level of outsourcing with computer science. there is a upper limit to what companies are willing to outsource. If you get a degree at a top school with good grades you will be fine.

Computer Science IS an engineering level degree. It's called Software Engineering :)

Not quite.

CS majors don't get the broad based course load that engineers get in their first 2 years.

Just because we don't take engineering 101? The end result is a degree that is considered to be an engineering LEVEL degree. IE equivalently weighed.

Depends on what school you want to go to. I have a UC liberal arts degree, and a UC will not let me go back for an undergrad degree.

Don't feel like paying 100k to get the same thing at a private school, either.

I was taking community college classes to learn everything I'd need to go straight for a master's program, but then someone offered me a decent job. Hard to say no to making a living.

Did you consider going to a CSU?

When I read articles that make sense like this one, it always reminds me of the other end of the spectrum :D

lib1.jpg

youre-getting-an-art-degree-thats-nice-ill-have-a-mocha-latte-thumb.jpg

Ain't that the truth.

Just because we don't take engineering 101? The end result is a degree that is considered to be an engineering LEVEL degree. IE equivalently weighed.

Well, obviously they are equally weighted as they are both BS's (although some schools award BE's to Engineers)

But last I checked, CS's don't take

-Physics (Mechanics, E/M)
-Thermodynamics
-A mechanics of solids class
-Chemistry
-Design Classes
-Circuits

These are the differences as to why schools don't formally call CS majors "engineers"

Well, obviously they are equally weighted as they are both BS's (although some schools award BE's to Engineers)

But last I checked, CS's don't take

-Physics (Mechanics, E/M)
-Thermodynamics
-A mechanics of solids class
-Chemistry
-Design Classes
-Circuits

These are the differences as to why schools don't formally call CS majors "engineers"

I see your point. I took 3 semesters of engineering level physics at my university but none of the other courses.

My main point was that it's no surprise CS is right up there with "engineering" degrees because the degree is equally difficult to achieve.

In other news, nearly half of US college grads are underemployed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/poll-nearly-half-us-college-grads-are-underemployed-6C9692836
More than 40 percent of recent U.S. college graduates are underemployed or need more training to get on a career track, a poll released Tuesday showed.

The online survey of 1,050 workers who finished school in the past two years and 1,010 who will receive their degree in 2013 also found that many graduates, some heavily in debt because of the cost of their education, say they are in jobs that do not require a college degree.

Thirty-four percent said they had student loans of $30,000 or less, while 17 percent owed between $30,000 to $50,000.

"For our nation's youngest workers, as well as for the workforce at large, there is a real need for employers to reexamine how they hire, train and develop their employees," said Katherine Lavelle, of the global management consulting firm Accenture, which conducted the survey.

Nearly half, 42 percent, of recent graduates expect they will need an advanced degree to further their career and almost a quarter are already planning to take graduate courses.

More than half of graduates said it was difficult finding a job, but 39 percent were employed by the time they left college. Sixty eight percent said they are working full time, while 16 percent are in part-time positions.

The top industries that graduates wanted to work in were education, media and entertainment and healthcare.

Back