The [H] RTX 3080 owners thread.

If it was bots, then why did Microcenter have 12 cards?
12 cards isn't a real launch. That sort of number is insane.

This must be 1.7% yields all over again.
Nvidia is in some serious trouble if they can't produce working chips.

Yup, I thought the same thing. Camped out at Microcenter starting at 1am in Madison heights, MI. #28 in line, and they had 11 cards supposedly according to the rumors people were sharing outside, but they had 12 more in a truck later that day. I just thought to my self, theres no way they're having a "launch" and only have 11... that's insane. Lo and behold, it was correct.

Oh well, it was a fun experience.

If AMD releases a great product and I can't get an NVIDIA card I will definitely consider it. A few years back I said I'd never have an AMD desktop but here I am today with a 3900x system.
I am down the same path. Honestly if it is close to 3080 and less power and heat I am all in for AMD.

Yup, I thought the same thing. Camped out at Microcenter starting at 1am in Madison heights, MI. #28 in line, and they had 11 cards supposedly according to the rumors people were sharing outside, but they had 12 more in a truck later that day. I just thought to my self, theres no way they're having a "launch" and only have 11... that's insane. Lo and behold, it was correct.

Oh well, it was a fun experience.
Were you able to get a voucher?

Some of us over at now in stock got pre-orders for the OC version of the Zotac 3080. Ships by September 30th. It's something at least

Anyone jump on the EVGAs from Adorama that was on preorder this morning?

Amazon is canceling all the zotac orders from this morning.

Sorry guys :(
No need to apologize, this launch is like an abusive relationship. I guess I'm keeping my side piece step-up but will keep looking. I just amazed with all my cancel's the wife's 3090's are looking solid.

Anyone jump on the EVGAs from Adorama that was on preorder this morning?
I did. Preordered a FTW3. I strongly prefer EVGA cards for their warranty service and waterblock options. But if the card won’t get to me by mid to late October I’ll probably cancel it and keep my MSI 3080.

I did. Preordered a FTW3. I strongly prefer EVGA cards for their warranty service and waterblock options. But if the card won’t get to me by mid to late October I’ll probably cancel it and keep my MSI 3080.

I agree. I sold my 2080ti XC which did not have an extended warranty and am currently rocking my 980ti Hybrid with a 10 year warranty. I snagged the FTW3 myself and will be doing the extended warranty. The 3080 will be my new backup card for the years to come

I decided to cancel my order for MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X 10G OC and order a Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC instead. :eek:

The Asus TUF OC seems to have gotten surprisingly good reviews a number of places, and Steven over at Hardware Unboxed was lukewarm on the MSI RTX Gaming X Trio which is supposed to be better than the MSI Ventus OC.

Yeah, I’m getting way back in the queue with this move, but whatever. I ordered the Asus TUF the same place I canceled the MSI Ventus, so maybe I should drop them a pretty-please note? :rolleyes:

I decided to cancel my order for MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X 10G OC and order a Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC instead. :eek:

The Asus TUF OC seems to have gotten surprisingly good reviews a number of places, and Steven over at Hardware Unboxed was lukewarm on the MSI RTX Gaming X Trio which is supposed to be better than the MSI Ventus OC.

Yeah, I’m getting way back in the queue with this move, but whatever. I ordered the Asus TUF the same place I canceled the MSI Ventus, so maybe I should drop them a pretty-please note? :rolleyes:

Yup, the TUF seems to have the best cooler of the ones reviewed so far. Temps are on par with the FE in quiet mode. MSI GXT barely seems like an improvement over the FE cooler.

Yup, the TUF seems to have the best cooler of the ones reviewed so far. Temps are on par with the FE in quiet mode. MSI GXT barely seems like an improvement over the FE cooler.
That's not true tho.

Here you can plainly see it performs better than the FE, and at least on the level of the TUF, and it does it while being 3dBA quieter. Out of the box, the MSI GXT looks to be superior to the TUF.

When they were normalized by dba the Asus still performed better temperature wise.
Where would I find that data? Even if that's the case, the performance is still the same, and certainly closer to the TUF in terms of performance than the FE, as previously compared.

Where would I find that data? Even if that's the case, the performance is still the same, and certainly closer to the TUF in terms of performance than the FE, as previously compared.
posted the wrong link earlier, this review is of the msi and he compares it to the tuf and fe cards
Optimum tech

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of EK Water Blocks, but at least this is good news for the card I have coming in!

View attachment 280127
View attachment 280126

Hoping Alphacool has something in the works already as well. Would love to get my card watercooled in the next 1-2 months.

according to their compatibility chart they made a block for the 2080 ti XC but not the FTW3. I was hoping to go with alphacool but I can't confirm if they will make a block for the FTW3.

That's not true tho.

Here you can plainly see it performs better than the FE, and at least on the level of the TUF, and it does it while being 3dBA quieter. Out of the box, the MSI GXT looks to be superior to the TUF.

Performs better...bleh, that's just because stock clocks are a bit higher.

From that same review, the TUF is 9 degrees cooler and only 1.5dB louder with the performance setting...
1600566676809.png

There's a ton of room there to slow those fans down further and STILL keep the GPU below 70C.[/B][/B]

according to their compatibility chart they made a block for the 2080 ti XC but not the FTW3. I was hoping to go with alphacool but I can't confirm if they will make a block for the FTW3.
I believe the EVGA 2080 Ti XC was a reference PCB which would explain the block compatibility. This time around the XC3 cards aren’t reference PCBs. Apparently close, but not exactly reference.

I imagine FTW3 cards will have higher priority for watercooling. Probably more water cooling users would opt for the FTW3 than the XC3 for the better overclocking. So it’ll be a bigger market and logically would make more sense to prioritize over the XC3.

Seems like most of the better known brands (EVGA, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc) all went with custom PCBs for their RTX 3080 cards including their most basic versions. Waterblock manufacturers are going to have a lot of work this generation.

From that same review, the TUF is 9 degrees cooler and only 1.5dB louder with the performance setting...
There's a ton of room there to slow those fans down further and STILL keep the GPU below 70C.[/B][/B]

That's one data point. HW unboxed showed temps normalized to 40DB and the MSI and ASUS were tied at 63c for gpu die with the TUF having slight advantage on memory and VRM temps. TPU shows only 5 degree difference 71 / 76 for the asus when sound is within 1DB when the asus is on the quite bios and Cards are at 31/32 DB respectively.
Guru 3D lists the Asus Tuf OC as 6db louder at stock to get that 9 degrees cooler level. Out of the box, unless on quiet bios the Asus could be more more noticeably loud if you believe the 6DB figure.
I do think the asus card seems to have a bit of an edge in terms of the cooler, but I don't think the MSI is as much of a slouch as a lot of these reviews seem to indicate since it seems more tuned for silence. They are probably really close at 35DB.

View attachment 280872

Seems like he's talking based on feelings and not numbers... If he wants to pay more for name so be it.

I got my 65" CX today, it's set up, did a movie night with the wife and a grandpa babysitter for the kids. Got my 7 1 surround system rocking, ordered a 9900k to upgrade my 8600k. I can run Control at 4k max with DLSS to look around but it's not playable on my 2070.

Come on Nvidia sell me a 3080!!!!

I got the MSI Trio 3080, and although I knew it came with 3x 8pin, I'm wondering if anyone know if I can get away with 2, for now... My cablemod set came with 2, no daisy chain, and although I could use one of the originals that came with my Corsair, I'd rather just order another 8pin and hopefully use 2 in the meantime.

Quick impressions of my EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra:

Ran Rainbow 6 benchmark a few times, boost clocks seem to hit low to mid 1900's once the card settles in. Temp at stock fan curve was 74C which seemed a little toasty but noise levels were good. Loaded up Precision X1 and set the aggressive fan curve which made the fans quite loud but temps dropped to 62-64C.

I messed around with the power limit a bit but boost clocks didn't seem to change, I might try some manual overclocking this weekend.

There is some coil squeak or coil whine at loading screens, along with some while the benchmark ran.

This is in a Fractal Design Meshify C with 2x 140mm 1000rpm intake fans and 2x 120mm 1200 RPM exhaust fans. CPU is a Ryzen 3950x with Noctua D15.

Overall the card seems good, but I haven't cancelled my Asus 3080 TUF OC backorder yet. If the Asus shows up in the next month I think I will take the Asus and flip the EVGA if the TUF runs cooler as I expect it will.

Grats on the new GPUs! Good to see EVGA is shipping products, as few of them as there are. Means I move up the queue!

Grats on the new GPUs! Good to see EVGA is shipping products, as few of them as there are. Means I move up the queue!

Me too. Evidently, I didn't hit "notify" until 9/18, so here's hoping there's not a 6 week delay getting to me in the queue otherwise it might be Big Navi for me...

If the Asus shows up in the next month I think I will take the Asus and flip the EVGA if the TUF runs cooler as I expect it will.

I have an FTW3 Ultra on backorder but I have little faith.

Keep me in your thoughts if the time comes and you want to keep it north of the border.

Anyone with a card that has 5 outputs know if it supports using all 5 at once? From what I could see in the specs they said they only support 4 at once, but I don't know if that's because they just copy pasted the specs from the other cards that only have 4 connections.

Anyone with a card that has 5 outputs know if it supports using all 5 at once? From what I could see in the specs they said they only support 4 at once, but I don't know if that's because they just copy pasted the specs from the other cards that only have 4 connections.
As far as all the information go, it only supports 4 displays. Some reviews have explicitly said that this card has 5 outputs, but supports only 4 monitors, same as the 4 output cards. Some cards even have 6 outputs.

Don't know what happens if you plug in all the connections. Does it show all monitors in Windows, but you can only select up to 4 at a time?

4 outputs - can check this with the Aorus Master/Xtreme (6 outputs) where under Specifications it states 4 displays max. I actually own the Gaming OC with 5 outputs as well trying to be cheeky with it, but it's just 4.

Back