The Callisto Protocol (survival/horror)

See, I actually loved the focus on melee. It was thick and heavy and murdery and sooo much more satisfying than the "melee" from DS1. There were obvious influences from Dead Space, but the game tried to bring some new ideas as well. That timing, though...just can't get around it. Remakes of older, well-loved games do not happen often...so when they do, you'd be well advised to not release a similar new IP that's trying to take chances.

The early technical issues combined with blatant and obvious comparison to DSR (which happened to be well executed vs. a shoddy cash grab) probably contribute to the negative chatter despite the game scoring well objectively.
The early technical issues completely killed the game TBH, because they were really bad, and it's not like this was Cyberpunk with a massive great game behind it all. The game on launch day was 100% unplayable on PC, and even after the first shader cache patch was still pretty bad on PC. Console had serious performance issues as well.

Honestly, they would have been better off had they released the game as a Xbox game pass title or something, and taken some cash from Microsoft. It didn't help that the game was $60 retail at launch for what everyone knew was a one an done type of game.

The early technical issues completely killed the game TBH, because they were really bad, and it's not like this was Cyberpunk with a massive great game behind it all. The game on launch day was 100% unplayable on PC, and even after the first shader cache patch was still pretty bad on PC. Console had serious performance issues as well.

Honestly, they would have been better off had they released the game as a Xbox game pass title or something, and taken some cash from Microsoft. It didn't help that the game was $60 retail at launch for what everyone knew was a one an done type of game.
I don't ever remember it being 100% unplayable, or even close to it, so we are seemingly looking at it from two slightly different perspectives. I'll take your word for it because I don't think I received the game until just before the first big patch that really smoothed things out but it seemed to run fine from then on. Obviously my experience isn't representative of everyone's but I was playing at 4K on what was an i7-6700K/3090 rig at the time with some old Gen2 SATA SSDs, so not exactly a powerhouse other than a stout GPU. The RT implementation was bad and weird in terms of appearance and performance but the base game seemed fine to me.

The early technical issues certainly didn't help but they don't have to be game-killers, either. Arkham Knight was a disaster to the point of being pulled from sale, and that game is looked at very fondly today.

At the end of the day it's going to land in the 7ish range for most folks willing to give it a fair shot, which isn't a bad place to be. I don't think many space horror fans who pick it up on sale are going to be massively disappointed. There is a lot to like here if you enjoy the melee spin on DS. After much of the regurgitative vomit that we've seen from other studios, I'm willing to be a little more forgiving I suppose.

the melee aspect of Callisto Protocol was their attempt at differentiating it from Schofield's previous Dead Space games...otherwise it would just be a DS copycat...either way it was bad timing releasing it just a few weeks before the better received Dead Space remake...the DS remake has its own set of issues as it seems the developer has abandoned it after 1 patch despite the fact that it still needs some work

For some reason the game no longer works. When trying to continue or load a save, it locks up right there. This is on multiple attempts. No Bueno

I don't ever remember it being 100% unplayable, or even close to it, so we are seemingly looking at it from two slightly different perspectives. I'll take your word for it because I don't think I received the game until just before the first big patch that really smoothed things out but it seemed to run fine from then on. Obviously my experience isn't representative of everyone's but I was playing at 4K on what was an i7-6700K/3090 rig at the time with some old Gen2 SATA SSDs, so not exactly a powerhouse other than a stout GPU. The RT implementation was bad and weird in terms of appearance and performance but the base game seemed fine to me.

I played the game after the first or second patch and it was mostly okay by that point until you got to the Colony. That's the area that looks like a multi-level shantytown. It's relatively close to the end of the game. That area was like 35fps even with a 7950X3D and a 4090. My rig was new at the time, so I also tried it with my prior system (5800X and 3090) and it was pretty much unplayable in 4K. Lowering the settings barely seemed to matter, at least unless you lowered the resolution or render %.
Maybe they eventually fixed that area, but it was really rough initially.

I picked this up, seems okay except after about 15 minutes or so the framerate will tank to something like 15-20 FPS and then just stay there until I save and quit to menu. Then reloading the save, the framerate is fine again (for awhile).

Is this typical with this game? Happened to me twice in the span of like 30 minutes.

I picked this up, seems okay except after about 15 minutes or so the framerate will tank to something like 15-20 FPS and then just stay there until I save and quit to menu. Then reloading the save, the framerate is fine again (for awhile).

Is this typical with this game? Happened to me twice in the span of like 30 minutes.

Shader caching issues if I remember right. Just go through this thread about a year ago for more info.

Shader caching issues if I remember right. Just go through this thread about a year ago for more info.
Yeah, I found some INI tweaks in another place, hopefully that will fix it. Wild that it's still a problem, though.

Looks like Denuvo was removed today. The main executable shrunk by 230 MB. Why does the DRM bloat the size so much?

https://steamdb.info/depot/1544021/history/
Because they don't want to reference exterior DLL's/libraries for security reasons, and Denuvo is doing a bunch of funky crap with virtualization, etc So it's going to be a large amount of code even compressed within the main binary of the game.

Was thinking about this game. I was $15 with the DLC on the Steam sale. Was performance ever fixed? I assume there is going to be some stutter left, but if it is mostly fixed that is okay. Does ray tracing work well?

Was thinking about this game. I was $15 with the DLC on the Steam sale. Was performance ever fixed? I assume there is going to be some stutter left, but if it is mostly fixed that is okay. Does ray tracing work well?
It's not a ray tracing showcase, if that is what you're asking. Even with ray tracing this game uses a lot of baked lighting in the environment. It looks good, regardless.

Ray tracing on the PC version is garbage in spots and inconsistent at best. Anyone that thinks it looks good is blind. The shadows look better without ray tracing in some areas and the reflections look like absolute garbage in some spots similar to how screen space reflections look in the RE engine. Also, if you're using DSR, it can make the ray tracing even worse looking as it creates more little black lines when there is flickering around the shadows.

The performance is mostly fine, but there are areas that absolutely cannot maintain a completely smooth frame rate, especially in one area where it's easily reproducible on both systems I have played it on. The fire effects in this game are just laughable as they don't even look like they're at 30 FPS. There's also some really distracting flickering lights in parts of the game that actually can distract from the graphics giving them a little fizzling look. I think it could actually make really sensitive people sick in some spots as it's that bad. Overall though, it runs pretty good and at times looks stunning. I have played through the entire game including the DLC twice and overall I'd say it's about a 6 out of 10 game but totally worth it if it's on a good sale.

Last edited:
Assuming it no longer drops to 20fps in the shantytown area, the game's definitely worth $7. It's flawed, but that's a price I wouldn't argue with.

Yeah it's part of the humble choice this month so lots of key sites have it super cheap now from people reselling the choice keys. I haven't claimed my choice bundle yet but is that season pass content worth it? I think the choice bundle has a 60% off the season pass coupon.

Yeah it's part of the humble choice this month so lots of key sites have it super cheap now from people reselling the choice keys...

I'd much rather pay a little more and get it through Humble Bundle than some shady gray market website

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy from a reputable trusted source that we know works. And know it is legit.
Not at all, but I don't mind buying it for a lot cheaper and still have it work from other sources.
I use to torrent EVERYTHING, so I am being legit in my mind.

Yeah it's part of the humble choice this month so lots of key sites have it super cheap now from people reselling the choice keys. I haven't claimed my choice bundle yet but is that season pass content worth it? I think the choice bundle has a 60% off the season pass coupon.

Seasons pass has a DLC which adds around 50% more length apparently. The whole thing was $18 on sale on Steam recently. The deal above seems to only include the base game without the DLC.

Seasons pass has a DLC which adds around 50% more length apparently. The whole thing was $18 on sale on Steam recently. The deal above seems to only include the base game without the DLC.
On the good side, if you got it through Humble Choice it IS the base version of the game, but comes with a coupon for use on Humble Store that gets you the Season Pass (which is all the DLC, including the expansions) for 60% off . That's another opportunity and overall picks it up cheap. Also this month's Humble Choice (while not one of its strongest offerings unless you're REALLY into Victoria 3 and Humankind) has some good games that make it a good value in addition to Callisto , such as Fashion Police Squad (an excellent 'boomer shooter' as they call the these days, with an interesting premise.), and Symphony of War (a Langrisser or Unicorn Overlord type SRPG - think sort of Fire Emblem with squads of units instead of individual units).

Back