The Best VR Headset Money Can Buy Video, Varjo VR-3

Great that we have some in house hands on experience now ! Very cool I88bastard.

Here are some more of my impressions of using the VarjoVagina

1628444793307.png

Undoubtedly the VR-3 looks and is great, but the G2 and Pimax don't actually look that bad. It's a bullshit comparison by a bullshit Youtuber. I consider Sebastian/MRTV a running joke at this point. And I'm basing that on observing the guy and his behavior through his entire online VR "reviewing" existence, lots of his dumb Reddit comments, admitting he begs for free hardware. Every HMD that gets sent to him is "the BEST ever you guys", while willfully skewing the comparables to look worse so the sponsored product stands out more. Hype for clicks, financial desperation - he's not trustworthy. There are far better VR reviewers, that have actually tried to standardize their TTL (through the lens) methodology.

Edit: he backpedaled after his TTL was called out as bullshit. He calls it a "mistake", except the behavior is chronic.

View attachment 382360
Yeah, there is no way the 8KX looks that crappy. That whole thing seemed really suspicious to me.

Sebastian redid his pictures...here are the before and afters....man that Pimax still looks rough!

BEFORE
View attachment 382438

AFTER
View attachment 382439

It doesn't meaningfully change things. I take Sebastians hyperbole with a big grain of salt but his through the lenses videos are generally pretty good and he does try to cover every single headset (even if he has to beg/borrow/steal to get them). Other reviews, especially in the sim racing world echo the results, the VR-3 is a step above everything else even without using the focus display. Once there is some native support for that and foveated rendering, it should be even better - one of those headsets that even if we get the LCD screens and spherical lenses in another headset, still can grow with software. The few games that do have native support say the focus area is indistinguishable from the outer area when enabled and is unbelievably clear, meaning it will get better over time provided Varjo keeps pushing the software (and they have a decent track record of it).

Have to decide whether to spend ~$5k on this or $7k on upgraded brakes for my sports car...

It doesn't meaningfully change things. I take Sebastians hyperbole with a big grain of salt but his through the lenses videos are generally pretty good and he does try to cover every single headset (even if he has to beg/borrow/steal to get them). Other reviews, especially in the sim racing world echo the results, the VR-3 is a step above everything else even without using the focus display. Once there is some native support for that and foveated rendering, it should be even better - one of those headsets that even if we get the LCD screens and spherical lenses in another headset, still can grow with software. The few games that do have native support say the focus area is indistinguishable from the outer area when enabled and is unbelievably clear, meaning it will get better over time provided Varjo keeps pushing the software (and they have a decent track record of it).

Have to decide whether to spend ~$5k on this or $7k on upgraded brakes for my sports car...

Thats easy, 5000k on the headset and do your sports car business in Project Cars 2 VR. 😁

Or option #3 champagne room...just know that there is absolutely no sex in the champagne room!

I guess in the future our life really will just be a simulation...

Absolutely no way the pimax 8KX looks that bad. My 5K super is 4-5 times sharper than that image. The first time I connected the 5K it looked quite fuzzy until I found the steam vr setting had defaulted 70 resolution scaling. That knucklehead most likely had the same issue and failed to correct the scaling.

It is happening! Varjo finally released a consumer version!

Well, more like prosumer/ultimate enthusiast model because the price is still 2000€. AND you still need lighthouses and controllers. But at least you no longer need a subscription and you do get eyetracking, best in class visuals thanks to MiniLED LCD displays with apparently local dimming, aspheric lenses (yay!), eye tracking and automatic IPD adjustment etc.

I know simulation gamers are going to get this headset no matter what the cost but for the rest of us.... 2000 is a lot of money, just foe the headset that is. I think Varjo should have gone step further and get rid of eyetracking and automatic IPD adjustment and so on. 1500 would be easier to stomach.

Ordered the Varjo Aero early this morning. Hopefully I am not too far down the list!

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Damn it, all you people ordering it makes me feel like I am being left out of the fun. How much is a kidney worth these days? 🤣

Aero looks amazing. Maybe next year for one. I think I sweated enough in my Vive Pro 2 to keep them for now.

Did you need the high dpi oled screens somewhere? As far as I know they are not even usable in SteamVR.
Meh, those high-DPI middle lenses seemed to have been useless at least on SteamVR. And lack of finger tracking isn't a big deal since the content isn't really there.

I'm strongly considering the Aero.

Last edited:
No...I am currently addicted to E-bikes and the one I want costs 15 grand.
https://optibike.com/optibike-elite-series/

The aero is cool, but it does not have hand tracking or the crazy super high IPD oled panels. The hand tracking is pretty useful in flight sims

Do any of them support it? I haven't seen any kind of generic implementation as technically a quest/quest 2 should work with that and/or adding a cheap leap motion to any headset should give it.

I'm really tempted by the Aero. I've always been supter interested in VR. All of the units I've seen so far though, have been short of the mark on image quality. This of the first headset that isn't. The problem i see, is that in addition to spending $2k on the unit, I'd need to spend another $500 to get the base stations and controller. Plus I'd need to spend another $300 to get base stations for my sims. Add to that the two video cards I'd need to buy, and that's real money.

Not compelling enough for me to set the pimax 5K super on the shelf to collect dust. Should I settle for elcheapo audio and less fov for 2K? Gonna have to do better especially considering the up coming iteration of the pimax I can get full purchase credit for my 5K super on.

Not compelling enough for me to set the pimax 5K super on the shelf to collect dust. Should I settle for elcheapo audio and less fov for 2K? Gonna have to do better especially considering the up coming iteration of the pimax I can get full purchase credit for my 5K super on.

You don't have some good headphones already? I would think most entering the arena for a $2k headset would, so nbd imo. A pair of $50 headphones usually beats the crap out of any of the built in audio solutions, anyway.

I think what Pimax is doing is smart to keep owners in their ecosystem, but I think you'll be waiting a solid 2 years for that upgraded headset.

I'm really tempted by the Aero. I've always been supter interested in VR. All of the units I've seen so far though, have been short of the mark on image quality. This of the first headset that isn't. The problem i see, is that in addition to spending $2k on the unit, I'd need to spend another $500 to get the base stations and controller. Plus I'd need to spend another $300 to get base stations for my sims. Add to that the two video cards I'd need to buy, and that's real money.

Yeah, it adds up quickly. I've found a few OG Vives for sale locally for ~$250 complete with bases and controllers, so I may go that route. My biggest issue with the varjo is the external tracking, but I don't see anything coming out in the next year to compete with it in terms of image quality and for sim racing it should be hands down the best out there for a good while.

You don't have some good headphones already? I would think most entering the arena for a $2k headset would, so nbd imo. A pair of $50 headphones usually beats the crap out of any of the built in audio solutions, anyway.

I think what Pimax is doing is smart to keep owners in their ecosystem, but I think you'll be waiting a solid 2 years for that upgraded headset.
Looking at the vid I saw the headphones sitting on the headband at the top and exerting extra pressure on his upper jaw line. I think there will be some added discomfort there so I can't imagine dealing with that for hours at a time even though eye fatigue would likely be reduced by the better IQ. FOV is also a no go for me. I really like my sim mirrors visible so FOV isn't enough either.

El cheapo audio? Varjo actually did the proper thing to allow users own headphones or IEM's to plug into their headset. I've never used any build in audio from a VR headset as the audio quality is atrocious. Including the Index.

A pair of $200 in ear monitors make VR built in audio sound like a plastic cup and string.

Also the Pimax 5K has horrendous image quality.

Ha! I will put my CV1 up for sale this weekend. Would like to go untethered and without external sensors now so Aero/G2 (cost too) gotta wait. Not sure if the wife will be ok with me replacing the CV1 with a Q2. She was not happy with the CV1...doesnt want the kids to know VR is in the house...they have not seen it in 3 years.

Ha! I will put my CV1 up for sale this weekend. Would like to go untethered and without external sensors now so Aero/G2 (cost too) gotta wait. Not sure if the wife will be ok with me replacing the CV1 with a Q2. She was not happy with the CV1...doesnt want the kids to know VR is in the house...they have not seen it in 3 years.
Quest 2 is easier to hide if thats an issue lol. No tracking sensors to worry about.

Back