The Best Gaming CPU

erek

[H]F Junkie
A worthy successor to the 5800X3D, The AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D will be available tomorrow for $450.

“AMD's Ryzen 7 7800X3D will be available tomorrow at a price of $450, which is quite reasonable and matches the launch price of the Ryzen 7 5800X3D exactly. While $450 is certainly not cheap, the fact that 7800X3D is the fastest gaming processor available, with impressive power consumption, justifies a price premium. Given that 7950X3D has been nearly always sold out since its launch, I feel like stock of 7800X3D will be gone even quicker. Competitors in that price range are Ryzen 9 7900X, which offers 20% better application performance, but loses gaming performance due to lack of 3DV Cache and its dual CCD design. Another option could be the Intel Core i7-13700K for $425, which offers 20% better application performance, too, but is quite close in gaming, especially at 4K, when GPU bound. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, then Intel has the 13900K for you, which costs $570, but will give you formidable performance in both applications and games—at the price of much higher power consumption. If you rather save some money, then you should consider the Intel Core i5-13600K, which is one of the fastest gaming CPUs available, for $290, or the Ryzen 7 5800X3D for $310, which runs on a much more affordable platform. Another good choice is the Ryzen 7 7700X for $325, which ensures you'll have an upgrade path to Ryzen 8000 and beyond.”

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d/29.html

If I were building a system right now I would be very interested in the 7800x3D and the 7900XTX.

But I would be equally interested in the 13600K and the 4080.

At 1440p the differences kind of vanish.

Either way, the 7800x3D looks like a beast.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png
minimum-fps-3840-2160.png

+46% average at 1080p, enough of a jump to be possibly perceived even at the average 4k title, +18.7% boost for the 1% minimum fps over the previous gen "regular" 8 core cpu 5800x released in may 2021 less than 2 years ago (maybe it will be a +27-30% with a 5090 for the 1% 4k low), that's really something when you look at it this way...

Imagine if the next 2 years see something similar and the GPU do another 60% jump at the high end a la 4090, what a 9950x3d with a 5090 will do versus the 3090-5800x of 2021

Last edited:
If I were building a system right now I would be very interested in the 7800x3D and the 7900XTX.

But I would be equally interested in the 13600K and the 4080.

7800X3D is a nice addition for the market but it's still a boutique SKU where price/availability are concerned, while the Intel route comes with far more OC and tinkering headroom, at a lower total cost. Reviews mostly ignore the downsides when doing stock for stock reviews.

Lowest all-in cost AM5 vs Z790: Intel
OC Headroom: Intel
Highest Boost Clocks: Intel
IMC (memory controller): Intel

Last edited:
7800X3D is a nice option for the market, but the Intel route still comes with far more OC and tinkering headroom, and at a lower total cost. Reviews mostly ignore the downsides when doing stock for stock reviews.

The memory controller on the 7000 series annoys me, L1Tech has a good bit on it and how problematic it is you can't really get more than 64GB of ram on the systems.

Reviews mostly ignore the downsides when doing stock for stock reviews.
Many, but some like Hardware unboxed went with 7200 CL34 ddr kit for the intels platform on their reviews (which must be rare for an 13600k system to be running at those clocks)

Below is a take on OC headroom - up to 10% on water, looks usable. Can you do more on 13900?
Far more. To begin with there's no multiplier based OC on 7800X3D, while there is on Intel K SKU's.

Thermal limit 89C on 7800X3D is the other issue.

Many, but some like Hardware unboxed went with 7200 CL34 ddr kit for the intels platform on their reviews (which must be rare for an 13600k system to be running at those clocks)
DDR-7200 isn't rare for 13600K unless you meant with regard to configuration on review sites.

Last edited:
The market isn't strong enough for scalpers to bother right now.
No use for scalpers to hoard no one overpays for a CPU above already inflated MSRP. One needs to walk around a Microcenter they have new gen CPUs in bulk.

The 7950X3D's "sold out" on their launch day, but most Microcenter stores got plenty more a couple weeks later. The Denver store is showing 25 in stock right now. These will probably follow suit.

DDR-7200 isn't rare for 13600K unless you meant with regard to configuration on review sites.
I imagine it depends when the majority of people bough them (there a set of them on ddr-4) it must have been expensive for most of that CPU existance, even today there are no DDr-5 7200 on pcpartpicker in the top 60 most popular choice and no 2x8 option seem to exist.

good point:

"we have come to the conclusion that the new Zen 4 architecture is itself so much more efficient than the Zen 3 architecture that 3D V-Cache is not doing as much for the Zen 4 architecture as it did for the Zen 3 architecture

The Zen 3 architecture was held back quite a bit, and the 3D V-Cache on that architecture made up for its shortcomings in big ways. However, Zen 4 is so much more improved and also has double the L2 cache, which helps a lot, that while 3D V-Cache does make a difference, it is to a smaller degree than it did on the Zen 3 architecture. Don’t get us wrong though, it does and can still help, and could make an even bigger impact on future games and future GPUs that will be so much faster"

For what it's worth on the Mobo front, I've been really happy with the ASUS B650E-F. It's priced right, has PCIE 5 support (if that ever becomes important), it gets regular updates, and it has been bulletproof for me for going on 6 weeks.

7800X3D is a nice addition for the market but it's still a boutique SKU where price/availability are concerned, while the Intel route comes with far more OC and tinkering headroom, at a lower total cost. Reviews mostly ignore the downsides when doing stock for stock reviews.

Hardware Unboxed does a lowest cost per frame and the Intels get destroyed by the AMDs when factoring platform costs.

Then, as far as OC'ing goes. That like SLi/Crossfire is quickly becoming a dieing art. Yeah it's fun to tinker. But the vast majority of folks now turn on XMP and call it a day.

I know I am! Real glad I held out though, it was tough not to bite on the non-3D parts. IMO, the toughest choice of this whole purchase is what go with for Mobo/RAM.
Looking at one of these for the motherboard. It has everything I need. USD $230 on Newegg right now.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B650-EDGE-WIFI/Specification

Looking at this for memory. I feel like 64GB is needed with the way games are going these days.
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/393/1665020366/F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N

Just adding what I posted on one of the other threads:
Wendell over at Level1Techs claimed in his 7800X3D review that all the AMD X3D CPUs, even the 5800X3D, outperformed the 13900k in Stellaris (he didn't benchmark the game - just played it), including in late-game. And he also said the 7000X3D CPUs performed much better than the 5800X3D (already ahead of the 13900k) in that game.

Looking at this for memory. I feel like 64GB is needed with the way games are going these days.

For a long-term system, I think you are right. Galactic Civilziations 3 already required 32GB to run its largest mega map several years ago. And people are already causing Cities Skylines to go over 32gb if they use enough (a lot!) mods. But just be aware that due to AM5 boot time issues, 64GB will make boot times even longer. The more memory you have, the longer the boot time on AM5. Gigabyte and ASRock have faster boot times than MSI and ASUS.

Last edited:
Hardware Unboxed does a lowest cost per frame and the Intels get destroyed by the AMDs when factoring platform costs.

If you're talking about same chart PeakR linked just above then thats CPU cost only, not platform (all in) cost.

The biggest complaint about AM5 has been the all-in cost versus a similar spec'd Z690/790, why Microcenter has been having to bundle memory with their AM5 MB/CPU combos, etc.

Then, as far as OC'ing goes. That like SLi/Crossfire is quickly becoming a dieing art. Yeah it's fun to tinker. But the vast majority of folks now turn on XMP and call it a day.
No doubt, but subjective, as OC is a spectrum of different effort levels, but I was only talking the lowest hanging fruit which is the 1-click EZMODE CPU overclock most Intel MB's have ("Instant 6Ghz", "Performance Mode", whatever).

The Intel CPUs come out of the box with more OC headroom even for noobs.

Last edited:
The Watt per Frame graph is pretty amazing when compared to Intel. And if you were to buy a new Intel system you're F'd on your next upgrade; AM5 should have multiple CPUs to choose from over the coming few years.

Crazy thing is that the HUB review makes it look like one could legitimately run a 5800x3D/7800x3D with a 4090 on a 600W PSU and be just fine for gaming.

On the Memory Context Restore side of the subject, all the MB makers have their equivalent now I think. But there are lots of reports (not necessarily the majority) of increased instability when it is enabled, at least as of now. So it is not a sure thing. Probably affected by quality of specific MB and RAM too.

On the Memory Context Restore side of the subject, all the MB makers have their equivalent now I think. But there are lots of reports (not necessarily the majority) of increased instability when it is enabled, at least as of now. So it is not a sure thing. Probably affected by quality of specific MB and RAM too.
could MSI have some patents pending Memory Context Restore?

What time does the 7800X3D actually go on sale? Browsing the storefronts and don’t see it listed yet.

EDIT: 9 am EST was launch time (at least on Amazon)

Last edited:
Looking at one of these for the motherboard. It has everything I need. USD $230 on Newegg right now.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B650-EDGE-WIFI/Specification

Surprising set of features on that B-series board, wow. I'm going to have to start including B-series boards in my searches now.

Agreed on the RAM too. Just RDR2 alone darn near fills my 16GB I have now (I've even had it crash while paging too, but I read it might be due to a memory leak). Anyway, rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Side note, I might end up going back to GSkill. I'm on my 3rd pair of DDR4 2x8GB 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum's :mad: ... It's been over a decade since I've ran GSkill, might be time to revisit them.

What time does the 7800X3D actually go on sale? Browsing the storefronts and don’t see it listed yet.

EDIT: 9 am EST was launch time (at least on Amazon)
Appreciate the heads up, was going to be asking the same question.

Back