The 6500xt and 6400: Meet your next gpu, PC gaming peasants.

Newegg has 4 models in stock. 3 at $269 and one at $279. One of the $269 ones has free shipping, the rest are $10 to ship. That's actually an increase from last night when they had 3 models in stock. My local Microcenter has "limited availability - buy in store" status on 4. The ASRock is $259 - $60 off = $199. Others are $259, $269, and $299 for the triple fan Gigabyte. Even at $300 it's a bit less than either of them want for a GTX 1650. If this pricing holds and these things stay available I'd say it's on the low end of the expected range given the current state of the market.

IMHO this thing ought to be called a 6400 XT. There's enough of a performance and MSRP gap between it and the 6600 for another card. I suppose they could still cut down a Navi23 chip a bit more and make a 6550 to go up against the 3050.

What's bothersome is GPU is stripped too much and I'm not sure about hardware accelerated ray-tracing on it. It would be ok if you could utilize FSR to get some decent quality and performance.

well count on Tech Jesus to least dig into every corner of this to see if its viable at all and its Garbage slapped on a pcb for sake of more $$$ unfortunately.

Yeah the card was pretty well built, had multiple heatpipes and a metal backplate. Most cheap cards use extruded aluminum heatsinks with no heatpipes. The core itself is disappointing, but the card wasnt trash tier build quality. The big issue is that it was a rejiggered laptop part, and that caused a lot of the issues it suffers from.

Yeah, it has a decent heatsink on it. Look at some of the stuff Asus, EVGA and Gigabyte put on their 2060 one fan cards a couple of years ago.

Reactions: erek
like this
On a PCIe Gen4 platform, core and gddr overclocked to the moon, using FSR and a low render resolution, it works. Change any of that and it seems to fall apart quick. Disappointing as a desktop card overall and the cut-down media block is inexcusable.

like this
On a PCIe Gen4 platform, core and gddr overclocked to the moon, using FSR and a low render resolution, it works. Change any of that and it seems to fall apart quick. Disappointing as a desktop card overall and the cut-down media block is inexcusable.
tbh, any modern 4-core 2.5-3GHz processor should be able to handle decode just fine, and an 8-core +3GHz processor should be able to handle 1080p-1440p encode no problem, which is just fine for streaming (and more than this gpu can handle anyway). If you need more than that, this gpu isn't for you anyway.

like this
We need the hitler and laughing guy meme for closure on this debacle. Can’t find any yet so golden opportunity?

Newegg had a Sapphire available for $199.99 + $10 S&H late last night but it's sold out now. They also added the $300 triple fan Gigabyte, so they're up to 5 models in stock at $270-300.

like this
What's bothersome is GPU is stripped too much and I'm not sure about hardware accelerated ray-tracing on it. It would be ok if you could utilize FSR to get some decent quality and performance.

Forget about ray-tracing in this price tier. It's not a usable feature. It's still barely usable on an RTX3080 in a lot of games, and even less usable on a Radeon RX 6700 or RX 6800, so it doesn't even enter in the discussion for an RX 6500.

i dont get the hate? So you cant buy GPU's at sane prices... AMD releases a card with a sane price... Massive cuts are made to the card, serving to make it unsuitable for mining, and cheaper to manufacture. Internet erupts with hate. If i didnt already own other GPU's... I'd either still be rocking my 7870's, or buying this heap. Have to agree that above the MSRP, it starts looking less attractive, very quickly. But still not worthy of being called the worst GPU ever... not even in the top (bottom?) 10.

i dont get the hate? So you cant buy GPU's at sane prices... AMD releases a card with a sane price... Massive cuts are made to the card, serving to make it unsuitable for mining, and cheaper to manufacture. Internet erupts with hate. If i didnt already own other GPU's... I'd either still be rocking my 7870's, or buying this heap. Have to agree that above the MSRP, it starts looking less attractive, very quickly. But still not worthy of being called the worst GPU ever... not even in the top (bottom?) 10.
I think people just don't like what it represents. The card for $200 is fine.

I think people just don't like what it represents. The card for $200 is fine.
Oh, so the people living in the past who are going on about "when are graphics card prices going to come down?" If mining dissapears (unlikely), they might retract a bit, or at least be available at MSRP. But I think the days of the $100-$200 GPU market are in the rearview mirror forever. Mid range GPU's that come next will cost more, closer to what high end gpu's did 2 generations ago.
PC gaming may struggle for this. The cost of hardware is hard to justify for most.

PC gaming may struggle for this. The cost of hardware is hard to justify for most.
I can see many using their old hardware until it becomes unusable. Many may move onto consoles or even *shudders* mobile gaming platforms. If decent gaming PC's remain high priced, we might become a niche market. I had not thought of that before of the 6500XT as a so-so choice if you have an Alder Lake CPU with integrated graphics. The iGPU can perform the decoding and encoding as well as have a PCIe 5.0 interface.

Am I thinking about these cards? Yes.

I have new motherboards and processors, and old gpus. One is a GTX670. (See sig.)

Eh, I don't think I'd want to use the 6500xt in a HTPC system. I think that Vega56 is still supported by AMD driver wise, the 390 lost support last June.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Eh, I don't think I'd want to use the 6500xt in a HTPC system. I think that Vega56 is still supported by AMD driver wise, the 390 lost support last June.
390's lost support? i'm surprised they pulled the plug on any GCN parts with so many still in the wild. I half expected Vega to lose support before any GCN bits.

390's lost support? i'm surprised they pulled the plug on any GCN parts with so many still in the wild. I half expected Vega to lose support before any GCN bits.
GCN 4th gen (Polaris) and GCN 5th gen (Vega) are still supported, only 1st 2nd and 3rd gen GCN that got EOL'd. I actually expect Vega to have fairly prolonged support because the architecture was/is still used in APUs but we'll see.

Oh, so the people living in the past who are going on about "when are graphics card prices going to come down?" If mining dissapears (unlikely), they might retract a bit, or at least be available at MSRP. But I think the days of the $100-$200 GPU market are in the rearview mirror forever. Mid range GPU's that come next will cost more, closer to what high end gpu's did 2 generations ago.
So far AMD and NV sell every GPU they make regardless of the cost. So I have to be skeptical of your claim that the cost of hardware is hard to justify for most. There are enough diehard PC gamers and PC enthusiasts at this point in time to consume everything made for desktop and laptop use. There will be poors that always complain, but I'd have to say they are limited in number based on sales these days.

GCN 4th gen (Polaris) and GCN 5th gen (Vega) are still supported, only 1st 2nd and 3rd gen GCN that got EOL'd. I actually expect Vega to have fairly prolonged support because the architecture was/is still used in APUs but we'll see.
also, the legacy AMD graphics driver still supports windows 10. technically you can still run all the way back to an HD5xxx card on windows 10 with the legacy driver. AMD supports a lot longer runs than NVIDIA in that regard. Heck people are still buying up R9 290X 8gb cards and mining with the them.

So far AMD and NV sell every GPU they make regardless of the cost. So I have to be skeptical of your claim that the cost of hardware is hard to justify for most. There are enough diehard PC gamers and PC enthusiasts at this point in time to consume everything made for desktop and laptop use. There will be poors that always complain, but I'd have to say they are limited in number based on sales these days.
You think gamers are buying all these cards?

Lol you don't have to be "a poor" to bawk at $400+ prices for low-mid range GPUs.

Really? Only "the poors" are complaining? Ok...

Yep. Hey no one is serving the $200 market, looks like shameless cash grab for GPU desperate customers with literal crap to me.

And some people thing AMD is the savior of PC's. :ROFLMAO:
AMD 5700G does that just fine, and its free with purchase of a good cpu.

AMD 5700G does that just fine, and its free with purchase of a good cpu.
Gaming on APUs is for laptops. When I can buy a motherboard that lets me put gddr5 or better in it, I'll think about an APU. Or more realistically when I want to build an ultra small CAD machine.

Gaming on APUs is for laptops. When I can buy a motherboard that lets me put gddr5 or better in it, I'll think about an APU. Or more realistically when I want to build an ultra small CAD machine.
That time is here already. Anyway, the point i am making is dont bother wasting $300-500 on a 6500xt or a 3050 when a 5700g gets the job done as is. When things are back to normal then you can drop in a 6700/3070+ Personally id do a 5800x or 12th gen intel and a 5-6 year old GPU to old me over, but i have friends that refuse to consider used pieces in a new build.

Looking at completed listings for a 3050 and they are selling for $500-600. Even a 6500xt at $279 is not worth the money over 5700g performance.

Looking at completed listings for a 3050 and they are selling for $500-600. Even a 6500xt at $279 is not worth the money over 5700g performance.
Micro Center near me has 3050s all the way up to $489...and RX 6600s for $469, both in stock. At that point it seems like you might as well go for the slightly-higher tier card.

That time is here already. Anyway, the point i am making is dont bother wasting $300-500 on a 6500xt or a 3050 when a 5700g gets the job done as is. When things are back to normal then you can drop in a 6700/3070+ Personally id do a 5800x or 12th gen intel and a 5-6 year old GPU to old me over, but i have friends that refuse to consider used pieces in a new build.

DDR 5 is not gddr5. So no, that time is not now.

Micro Center near me has 3050s all the way up to $489...and RX 6600s for $469, both in stock. At that point it seems like you might as well go for the slightly-higher tier card.
The RX6600 will destroy a 3050 and it's not even close. That's how much of a sham that card is.

Agreed. APUs will still be limited with DDR5. If AMD or Intel are serious about budget desktop gaming, the would have developed a newer desktop version of the 8705g. Using HBM, that 5 year old APU still holds it's own against most options today.

Reactions: travm
like this
Back