The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

It is a different panel. AmLED according to AUO. Wouldn't be surprised if in the future newer versions of AmLED have more dimming zones and 576 is just the starting point followed by 1152, 2304, 4608 etc. Also regarding the Alienware, this is nothing but baseless speculation on my part but I think the Gsync module pretty much added nothing to that monitor (it couldn't even solve VRR flickering) while on a FALD LCD the module is now responsible for controlling the FALD algorithm, variable OD, etc all making sure it works together. So maybe that Gsync module is more expensive because it does more complex things compared to the one found in the Alienware which seems to do nothing as there is no local dimming to control and OLEDs do not need overdrive. Again I have no proof of this just baseless speculation.
AmLED is just AUO's marketing term for mini-LED.

Correct, but they don't market the PG32UQX's panel as AmLED. The A stands for Adaptive, whatever that means to AUO idk.
Actually they do...have you seen this website? Kinda cool to see the benefits of mini-LED over OLED...but scroll all the way to the bottom. They have PG32UQX listed there. I think maybe the "adaptive" was included perhaps because the "newer" monitors have an integrated chip as AUO OEM rather than Nvidia's? Not sure too.

https://amled.auo.com/en/

Actually they do...have you seen this website? Kinda cool to see the benefits of mini-LED over OLED...but scroll all the way to the bottom. They have PG32UQX listed there. I think maybe the "adaptive" was included perhaps because the "newer" monitors have an integrated chip as AUO OEM rather than Nvidia's? Not sure too.

https://amled.auo.com/en/

Interesting stuff. Wonder why they decided to cut the dimming zones in half though, hopefully the next iteration has 2304 or 4608 dimming zones as there are already monitors out there with that zone count.

Last edited:
Either they have abandoned it or they are waiting to release a new one with both DP 2.1 and HDMI 2.1. I'm kinda hoping that it would be the latter because G-Sync is good - all it needs is a modern feature set, being firmware updateable and so on.
Nvidia is the company that does graphics.

It took history to have chips for dual decoders at higher bandwidth to support 8k 60fps playback on 4090 while 3080 only does 8K 30fps. The similar limitation applies to the G-sync module.

If you check a GPU it has 3 DPs but only 1 HDMI. These GPUs are prioritized to be used with DP. So do the monitors. Don't use HDMI unless necessary because it is an inferior option.

Just found an open box PA32UCG-K on ebay for $2300, so I decided to buy it. Hopefully there aren't any problems with it.
If you check a GPU it has 3 DPs but only 1 HDMI. These GPUs are prioritized to be used with DP. So do the monitors. Don't use HDMI unless necessary because it is an inferior option
I'm a display engineer and digital logic designer, specifically for panel drive and modulation. Can you explain what you mean by this? I work with both hdmi and DP, and I've never heard of a GPU being optimized for one or the other.

Just found an open box PA32UCG-K on ebay for $2300, so I decided to buy it. Hopefully there aren't any problems with it.

I'm a display engineer and digital logic designer, specifically for panel drive and modulation. Can you explain what you mean by this? I work with both hdmi and DP, and I've never heard of a GPU being optimized for one or the other.
On G-sync, DP always has higher bandwidth than HDMI. It means the chip in the module is designed for the DP bandwidth.

Nvidia also simply chooses VESA's DP for computers to have more ports. It avoids protection racket such as $0.05 per HDMI port loyalty fee.

The roadmap of G-sync module is behind the latest DP/HDMI standard because there is no more powerful chip for the latest standard if the old one doesn't sell. But it's rather obvious which latest standard Nvidia will choose when a new chip is ready. This gives headache for the monitor manufacturers as both DP and HDMI just mean ports for them.

Last edited:
Okay, been reading through the thread and I still can't decide what the best display for me would be.

1. I only game on my PC.
2. PC has RTX 4090 and 13700K. Plenty powerful.
3. Want to do HDR while gaming.
4. Budget is under $1500

What 32" Display would you recommend based on the above.

Okay, been reading through the thread and I still can't decide what the best display for me would be.

1. I only game on my PC.
2. PC has RTX 4090 and 13700K. Plenty powerful.
3. Want to do HDR while gaming.
4. Budget is under $1500

What 32" Display would you recommend based on the above.

You only have 2 options based on that criteria. InnoCN 32M2V or Samsung Neo G7/8 so technically 3 options I guess. Take your pick do you want a flat IPS with supposedly higher brightness or a curved VA with faster response times.

You only have 2 options based on that criteria. InnoCN 32M2V or Samsung Neo G7/8 so technically 3 options I guess. Take your pick do you want a flat IPS with supposedly higher brightness or a curved VA with faster response times.
I think the G7 might be the way I go.

I am in a similar boat, looking at a ton of monitor options.

To me, the G8 (and related series) looks like it has some serious issues...
1676233692075.png

Edit: Honestly, most of the reviews I have been reading about Samsung monitors in general have been really disappointing. If you are really into them, I would try to find one locally, to make a potential return easier.

Would not recommend the Neo G7. The two I tried out both had issues and had to be returned. They both had banding noticeable on basic tasks like using notepad. The worst part was the flickering during games. VRR control within the menu mitigates the problem but introduces input lag.

I went with the C2 which is great but obviously doesn’t get very bright and is a bit unwieldy.

If I hadn’t gotten the C2 I would be getting the InnoCN. I’m still tempted to get it and probably will if I see a good deal.

I pretty extensively compared the Innocn 32" with my friends PG32UQX.
  • Pretty significant difference in FALD accuracy. They are both almost the same speed with a slight edge in favor of the Asus but it's also far more precise in keeping only zones necessary for a highlight illuminated. The Innocn will light up a +1 zone area around a highlight at times unnecessarily and you can more easily spot zones reacting even in very bright scenes. I can't for sure tell if this is intentional or just a lack of sophistication because for small highlights the Innocn is just as accurate as the Asus.
  • Innocn looks to me like it has higher native contrast.
  • Huge difference in SDR FALD algorithm. Innocn will crush blacks in an attempt to achieve max contrast. This results in a dim mouse pointer or white text on black backgrounds. Very similar to Samsung's approach with their TV's and Neo G7/G8. It's using some APL based algorithm and as soon as you raise the APL, all that dimness goes away. In HDR the Innocn behaves like your typical FALD monitor and the crushed blacks and dimmness are all gone.
  • Innocn exhibits far more artifacts with FALD on desktop. Strange yellow glow around adjacent zones, weird banding, etc.
  • Pixel response wise I can't decide a winner because the Asus is overall cleaner in motion but is dragged down by atrociously slow white/light transitions that are the inverse of VA black smear. The Innocn on the other hand is just consistently slow across the board so everything is a blur making it slightly less intrusive. Both are way too slow but if I had a gun to my head I'd favor the Asus.
  • TBH the difference in HDR brightness although there, is no where near as significant as I thought going in. Asus clips at 1600nits in games HDR brightness slider while Innocn is around 1100ish. That 500nit difference in highlights really only amounts to far more visible bloom around stuff like flamethrowers or hit sparks in HDR games and to my eye is not anywhere near the jump from my C2's highlight brightness to the Innocn which is roughly the same 500ish nits delta. The bigger visible difference is full field brightness where the Asus is difficult to even look at. There are definitely times where Asus is far ahead like skyboxes in very specific games but I don't really think most games really take advantage of the Asus brightness because 75% of HDR games implementation suck.
  • Both monitors never completely turn off backlight zones like the Neo G8 does. Asus and Innocn always maintain a very low level brightness at all times even on a pitch black screen saver.
  • Asus is calibration in both SDR and HDR looks much more pleasing to me.
I wish I could have taken pictures but I took my Innocn over to my friends for an hour or so instead of bringing his PG32UQX over since he has it for sale and didn't want me breaking it in transport. Overall the Asus remains the king of LCD HDR gaming monitors but I'd still pay 1/3 for the Innocn instead even with the shortcomings.

Last edited:
Some updates on X32FP:

• there are three FALD settings, all of them dim the whole screen quite a bit with the fastest setting dimming the least
  • the fastest and middle settings cause rapid zone fluctuations that can cause flickering on something like falling snow
  • FALD algorithm will dim small white elements like small numbers, text, mouse pointer, it's especially visible on desktop when switching tabs in the browser from bright to dark ones, white point suddenly changes and with it the color temperature etc.
  • it is also the cause that some games like COD MW2 look simply better on X27 because X32 will dim the same when using HDR
  • it has similar white transitions smearing to the previous panel (as SoCali noticed - inverse of VA black smear), mostly noticeable when scrolling fast on bright webpages with black text, overshoot doesn't help either

Got the Acer X32FP a few days ago, initially thought it was the worst HDR monitor I have ever seen as it just didn’t get bright enough. Sat side by side with my LG 32GQ950-B, the LG was so much brighter and seemed to match the X32FP on colour as well. After a day of trying to get it to work the only game that seemed to match the LG in brightness was Overwatch, I had decided it was not worth the money and planned on returning it. I should also mention that i updated the monitor to the latest firmware.

Then thanks to Hogwarts legacy having a pretty bad HDR implementation, (at least on PC) I was looking around for fixes and discovered the Desktop Colour settings in the Nvidia control panel. Some of you may laugh at me for this, but as my first HDR monitor was an X27 where the Gsync module just handled the HDR and i was happy with it, I never had to worry/question these things.

After changing the settings to get Hogwarts legacy looking better on my LG, i realised that this is probably what was missing for the X32FP.

So i pulled it back out of the box, tried again and WOW. Finally it was looking like what i expected it to. It was finally bright and i mean bright enough to start hurting the eyes, colour was popping, plenty of detail and deep blacks. I can share my colour settings if anyone else needs.

However I still wasn’t convinced that the HDR was as good as the X27. So I borrowed it back from my partner and put it side by side with the X32FP and the difference definitely shows. The colours pop off the screen much clearer than they do on the X27, blacks are deeper, there’s little blooming as well when compared to the X27. But the biggest one was the motion clarity, I felt dizzy playing cyberpunk for 5 minutes on the X27 after using the X32FP. So for me the X32fp blows the X27 out of the water completely.

But the X32fp is still far from perfect. I have to keep the adaptive dimming on either average or low. As fast mode feels like the screen is flickering too fast for changes in lighting, even my partner commented on this and after a while it caused some eye strain/heahaches. The OSD has plenty of problems, main one being that switching from HDR to SDR means having to mess around in the OSD for a few minutes to get everything set right, such as dimming turned off. Its a shame the monitor doesnt detect what setting windows has put it in.

Also the monitor gets locked to 120HZ if I have another monitor plugged into my GPU with a HDMI cable, this one is quite frustrating and I’ve had to resort to using DP on all 3 of my monitors so I can use it at 160HZ. Why this is happening i have no idea and i have never seen this issue with a monitor before.

Despite these issues I’ve decided to keep it, I live in the UK and options for these monitors aren’t great. I was looking at the ViewSonic XG321UG a few months ago, but that has recently increased in price, and it’s a £700 difference between that and the X32fp which I don’t feel is worth it. Also, the Innocn 32m2v is not a cheap option either as I would have to import it from USA, which brings it close to the cost of the X32fp.

It takes some effort to get it working, but thanks to the changes I made in the colour settings in the Nvidia control panel the monitor finally came to life and I’m quite pleased. I can only hope that Acer sort out the OSD with more firmware updates.

Most of your experiences mirror mine.
I did not mess with desktop colour though.
Recently I also lowered "black boost" from the default 5 to 4, probably crushes the "blackest blacks" a little but it's less washed out.
Anyway compared to X27 "fire and forget" it's a bit of a mess to set it up properly for every game, every time you play (mostly because of buggy and/or badly designed osd).
But again - when it finally works it does great job at it.

Got the Acer X32FP a few days ago, initially thought it was the worst HDR monitor I have ever seen as it just didn’t get bright enough. Sat side by side with my LG 32GQ950-B, the LG was so much brighter and seemed to match the X32FP on colour as well. After a day of trying to get it to work the only game that seemed to match the LG in brightness was Overwatch, I had decided it was not worth the money and planned on returning it. I should also mention that i updated the monitor to the latest firmware.

Then thanks to Hogwarts legacy having a pretty bad HDR implementation, (at least on PC) I was looking around for fixes and discovered the Desktop Colour settings in the Nvidia control panel. Some of you may laugh at me for this, but as my first HDR monitor was an X27 where the Gsync module just handled the HDR and i was happy with it, I never had to worry/question these things.

After changing the settings to get Hogwarts legacy looking better on my LG, i realised that this is probably what was missing for the X32FP.

So i pulled it back out of the box, tried again and WOW. Finally it was looking like what i expected it to. It was finally bright and i mean bright enough to start hurting the eyes, colour was popping, plenty of detail and deep blacks. I can share my colour settings if anyone else needs.

However I still wasn’t convinced that the HDR was as good as the X27. So I borrowed it back from my partner and put it side by side with the X32FP and the difference definitely shows. The colours pop off the screen much clearer than they do on the X27, blacks are deeper, there’s little blooming as well when compared to the X27. But the biggest one was the motion clarity, I felt dizzy playing cyberpunk for 5 minutes on the X27 after using the X32FP. So for me the X32fp blows the X27 out of the water completely.

But the X32fp is still far from perfect. I have to keep the adaptive dimming on either average or low. As fast mode feels like the screen is flickering too fast for changes in lighting, even my partner commented on this and after a while it caused some eye strain/heahaches. The OSD has plenty of problems, main one being that switching from HDR to SDR means having to mess around in the OSD for a few minutes to get everything set right, such as dimming turned off. Its a shame the monitor doesnt detect what setting windows has put it in.

Also the monitor gets locked to 120HZ if I have another monitor plugged into my GPU with a HDMI cable, this one is quite frustrating and I’ve had to resort to using DP on all 3 of my monitors so I can use it at 160HZ. Why this is happening i have no idea and i have never seen this issue with a monitor before.

Despite these issues I’ve decided to keep it, I live in the UK and options for these monitors aren’t great. I was looking at the ViewSonic XG321UG a few months ago, but that has recently increased in price, and it’s a £700 difference between that and the X32fp which I don’t feel is worth it. Also, the Innocn 32m2v is not a cheap option either as I would have to import it from USA, which brings it close to the cost of the X32fp.

It takes some effort to get it working, but thanks to the changes I made in the colour settings in the Nvidia control panel the monitor finally came to life and I’m quite pleased. I can only hope that Acer sort out the OSD with more firmware updates.

Fast local dimming speed is definitely unusable. It's distracting even in games and you can forget about the desktop it drove me insane within seconds. Average is fine for games but still distracting on the desktop although I could probably live with it. Right now I'm just waiting for the Asus PG32UQXR to land and see if it's any better or perhaps Asus will price it more aggressively than Acer as they did with the PG42UQ. Believe it or not Asus is capable of aggressive pricing if you look at some of their other products like their 2023 laptop lineup where they offer you a 4080 laptop for $1000 less than competitors so I'm hoping they won't overcharge too much for the UQXR when it comes and for it to be a more polished product. If not then I will probably just go for the InnoCN 32M2V.

Fast local dimming speed is definitely unusable. It's distracting even in games and you can forget about the desktop it drove me insane within seconds. Average is fine for games but still distracting on the desktop although I could probably live with it. Right now I'm just waiting for the Asus PG32UQXR to land and see if it's any better or perhaps Asus will price it more aggressively than Acer as they did with the PG42UQ. Believe it or not Asus is capable of aggressive pricing if you look at some of their other products like their 2023 laptop lineup where they offer you a 4080 laptop for $1000 less than competitors so I'm hoping they won't overcharge too much for the UQXR when it comes and for it to be a more polished product. If not then I will probably just go for the InnoCN 32M2V.
I still have no idea what PG42UQ alternative you're referring to that Acer has. The only 42" OLED monitors are the Asus and KTC.

Asus + DP 2.1 = dumb price. $1799 minimum for the worlds first DP 2.1 tax but I wouldn't be surprised if it lands at $1999 like the X32 FP originally was planned to.

I still have no idea what PG42UQ alternative you're referring to that Acer has. The only 42" OLED monitors are the Asus and KTC.

Asus + DP 2.1 = dumb price. $1799 minimum for the worlds first DP 2.1 tax but I wouldn't be surprised if it lands at $1999 like the X32 FP originally was planned to.

My bad I got completely mixed up with 42 and 48 inch.

711357_1660324798052.png

1676486655142.png

$2500 for that 48 inch Acer OLED while Asus costs $1500. Although to be fair the Acer never actually did come out, probably because it's overpriced. And again if Asus overcharges for the PG32UQXR, there's always the InnoCN option. I'm in no rush so I can wait, I already waited 5 years, another 6 months won't kill me.

I am in a similar boat, looking at a ton of monitor options.

To me, the G8 (and related series) looks like it has some serious issues...
View attachment 548582

Edit: Honestly, most of the reviews I have been reading about Samsung monitors in general have been really disappointing. If you are really into them, I would try to find one locally, to make a potential return easier.
Yeah, the G8 appears to have problems that the G7 doesn't have from the reviews I've seen. The price of the G7 just dropped to $1099 from $1299 so I'm going to pull the trigger on a Neo G7.

Innocn 27M2V arrives tomorrow, still hesitant if it was a good pick but I'll post my thoughts once setup. I would have liked the 32" but apparently it has slow response time?

My other bizarre limitation is I need a monitor with DisplayPort, as my videocard only has one HDMI 2.1 which is plugged into a LG C1 for couch gaming. Otherwise I would have scooped a C2 for the desk as it's a no brainer at that price.

Innocn 27M2V arrives tomorrow, still hesitant if it was a good pick but I'll post my thoughts once setup. I would have liked the 32" but apparently it has slow response time?

My other bizarre limitation is I need a monitor with DisplayPort, as my videocard only has one HDMI 2.1 which is plugged into a LG C1 for couch gaming. Otherwise I would have scooped a C2 for the desk as it's a no brainer at that price.

There are GPU's with multiple HDMI 2.1 outputs, but I'm sure that's an another added expense that you wouldn't want to pursue on top of buying a C2 lol.

There are GPU's with multiple HDMI 2.1 outputs, but I'm sure that's an another added expense that you wouldn't want to pursue on top of buying a C2 lol.
Yeah would be such a pain to exchange GPU models somehow lol. I guess this is a chance to see what mini-led is about, and I hear 27"4k has a really attractive PPI but we'll see. I've been using an XG-2703gs (165hz 1440p) for 6.5 years so it's about time.

It does... I've used both 32" and 27" 4k, and at the same distance the 27 looks way better.
Agreed, if your eyes can manage it, 27" 4K at 100% is hard to beat. Had considered to get the X32FP for a while (in stock in Europe) and when the fan of my X27 started making death rattling sounds yesterday it made the process a lot easier. Should arrive early next week.

Not sure what 27" alternatives there are today to this besides the G7/G8 which for other reasons are a no go (seems to be just for gaming and poor viewing angles make dual monitor layout impossible).

Last edited:
Agreed, if your eyes can manage it, 27" 4K at 100% is hard to beat. Had considered to get the X32FP for a while (in stock in Europe) and when the fan of my X27 started making death rattling sounds yesterday it made the process a lot easier. Should arrive early next week.

Not sure what 27" alternatives there are today to this besides the G7/G8 which for other reasons are a no go (seems to be just for gaming and poor viewing angles make dual monitor layout impossible).
27" 4K at 100% scaling? That's just ridiculously tiny text, buttons etc. unless you have your nose touching the monitor.

The Cooler Master Tempest GP27U seems like a good option in that size but it needs more firmware fixes. They just put out a new fw for it like yesterday or something.

Yeah, the G8 appears to have problems that the G7 doesn't have from the reviews I've seen. The price of the G7 just dropped to $1099 from $1299 so I'm going to pull the trigger on a Neo G7.
Received my Neo G7 and it's great for gaming. The curve takes some getting used to for the desktop, but I mostly game so no biggie. I like it a lot. With that said, I'll show myself out of this IPS thread since I went VA.

Ha so it arrived (Innocn 27m2v) and I'm trying the 100% scale at 4k 27" and it is indeed tiny. File explorer looks fine but websites it'll take some time to get used to, I'll see if I can manage.

Anyway the HDR performance is nuts and I was really impressed with how good Warzone 2 looked. RE8 Village seemed a little dim to me, and so did FFVIIR. Maybe I just need to explore some different environments or calibrate past what's recommended in the in-game menu, but I know these are good HDR games.

My main hang up is I'm not sure I like Local Dimming for regular desktop use. Dark areas go dim and icons nearby become blurry or smudged. Also I feel like I'm losing detail and color saturation in some cases when Local Dimming is on for SDR desktop use:

^ Video starts with Local Dimming off, then switched on, and back and forth once more (more drastic in person).

Looking at the letters you lose the texture detail when Local Dimming is switched on, and also some color saturation. I suppose this is because of light elements against a dark background? Similar to subtitles which also wash out with miniLed backed displays.

I’ve now increased gamma to 26 (from 22) and the Local Dimming slider (called Backlight Contrast) to max (default 0, now set to 100) which has mostly resolved the color saturation problem, but in cases like shown the loss of detail is still equal. I could turn Local Dimming off for regular desktop use and the display still looks great, but then I feel like I'd be overpaying for tech I'd only use in HDR gaming then. Dunno, hope to figure this out!

27" 4K at 100% scaling? That's just ridiculously tiny text, buttons etc. unless you have your nose touching the monitor.

The Cooler Master Tempest GP27U seems like a good option in that size but it needs more firmware fixes. They just put out a new fw for it like yesterday or something.

Then I must have a really big nose :) I would guestimate that its about 55 cm from eye to monitor depending on posture etc. But yes, it is tiny and not for everyone.

Received my Neo G7 and it's great for gaming. The curve takes some getting used to for the desktop, but I mostly game so no biggie. I like it a lot. With that said, I'll show myself out of this IPS thread since I went VA.
For gaming it's probably one of the best monitors available, but for multiple usage, especially if you want to go multi monitor, they (G7 and G8) are not as good. And probably never were intended to be.

Ha so it arrived (Innocn 27m2v) and I'm trying the 100% scale at 4k 27" and it is indeed tiny. File explorer looks fine but websites it'll take some time to get used to, I'll see if I can manage.

Anyway the HDR performance is nuts and I was really impressed with how good Warzone 2 looked. RE8 Village seemed a little dim to me, and so did FFVIIR. Maybe I just need to explore some different environments or calibrate past what's recommended in the in-game menu, but I know these are good HDR games.

My main hang up is I'm not sure I like Local Dimming for regular desktop use. Dark areas go dim and icons nearby become blurry or smudged. Also I feel like I'm losing detail and color saturation in some cases when Local Dimming is on for SDR desktop use:

^ Video starts with Local Dimming off, then switched on, and back and forth once more (more drastic in person).

Looking at the letters you lose the texture detail when Local Dimming is switched on, and also some color saturation. I suppose this is because of light elements against a dark background? Similar to subtitles which also wash out with miniLed backed displays.

I’ve now increased gamma to 26 (from 22) and the Local Dimming slider (called Backlight Contrast) to max (default 0, now set to 100) which has mostly resolved the color saturation problem, but in cases like shown the loss of detail is still equal. I could turn Local Dimming off for regular desktop use and the display still looks great, but then I feel like I'd be overpaying for tech I'd only use in HDR gaming then. Dunno, hope to figure this out!

Local dimming behavior on the desktop is something that has always been noticeable IMO. You either have to get used to it or get into the habit of constantly disabling it when using the desktop. Neither solution is ideal but that's currently just how things are with current tech limitations.

Alright 3 days in with the 27m2v and I'm realizing HDR enabled for regular desktop use is the way to go. Maybe that's an unpopular take outside of OLED but it seems really good here, and not as dimmed as my C1. Returns all the lost detail in the situation I noted above, and the dimming drawbacks are much improved. Only time I have to adjust is if an SDR game happens to look better with HDR off, for example Fire Emblem Engage on Ryujinx looked a little desaturated with HDR but really pops with it off.

Alright 3 days in with the 27m2v and I'm realizing HDR enabled for regular desktop use is the way to go. Maybe that's an unpopular take outside of OLED but it seems really good here, and not as dimmed as my C1. Returns all the lost detail in the situation I noted above, and the dimming drawbacks are much improved. Only time I have to adjust is if an SDR game happens to look better with HDR off, for example Fire Emblem Engage on Ryujinx looked a little desaturated with HDR but really pops with it off.
How is the dimming with SDR games?

How is the dimming with SDR games?

With SDR games I only take notice of the dimming drawbacks with subtitles against a dark background, or during dark load screens where you usually have a spinning icon of some sort. Like subtitles, it will appear dimmed. These aren't super important elements for me though so it's not a big deal.

Outside of that I like the image a lot for SDR games and the blacks and contrast seem great. But for desktop use I prefer HDR.

27m2v.JPG

RE8 Village seemed a little dim to me, and so did FFVIIR. Maybe I just need to explore some different environments or calibrate past what's recommended in the in-game menu, but I know these are good HDR games.
RE Village is very dim. It mostly has 300nits-400nits candle hightlight. The flame highlight is a lot dimmer than RE3 which has uncapped brightness up 10,000nits. FF Remake is not over 1000nits either. The highlight on that game stays around 800nit.
52386722405_a8356cf403_o_d.png

You can try to play Witcher 3 higher than default settings.

The configuration is in the file of dx12user.settings under %USERPROFILE%\Documents\The Witcher 3

Under the [Visual] section, HDRPaperWhite equals the max mid tone. MAXTVBrightness equals the max highlight luminance.
In a daylight scene, the mid is easily over 1,000nits. Change these two options such a below to match the parameters of your monitor then the game will look a lot more impactful and more realistic than the original 200nits SDR look.

============

[Visuals]
HdrPaperWhite=700
MaxTVBrightness=1200

============

Then the in-game menu has gamma setting functions as the black/lowlight level to keep the shadow in the low range.

You can also play Mirror's Edge Catalyst with AutoHDR. This game looks a lot more impactful in AutoHDR.

Last edited:
I see, thanks for the info. Might give Witcher 3 a shot. Mirror's Edge is a great idea, I still have only beat the first.

I dd try some other areas in FFVIIR and came away very impressed. The outdoor area at the start of the Yuffie DLC was pretty stunning, and then in Ch 16-17 when entering Shinra there's a huge mako reactor light and that's the first time I felt like I had to look away from the screen lol.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Gabe3
like this
The 32UQ750 is $100 off right now, anyone in the US feeling brave? There's still no real data on it.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/LG-UHD-Monitor-32UQ750-FreeSyncTM/dp/B0BHXLR9QL

Honestly doesn't look worth it at all IMO. Why pay $600 for an edge lit VA panel that's going to have horrible HDR when currently for $250 more you can get the InnoCN which has 1152 zone FALD for some real HDR? The response times are going to be no better than the InnoCN too since it isn't one of those fast Samsung VA.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back