The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

Yeah, it's too small for me (40-42" 16:9 4K is a minimum at which I'd be looking next) but it's a start and a good one at that.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I picked up the Viewsonic XG320U. I got it for text sharpness and window space for coding. For that purpose it's great. When I play slow paced games on the side I can't help but feel disappointed, however. The SDR brightness isn't bright enough during the day in my office. The contrast looks worse than my secondary 1440p IPS monitor, the XG27AQM. I expected motion blur to be not so great (same panel as the PG32UQ). It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Still no match for the XG27AQM. That doesn't matter as much, as I will swap to the XG27AQM for competitive games, but the brightness and contrast are still disappointing.

I'm now in analysis paralysis on whether I should return this display now that I've had a chance to experience it. None of the upcoming displays for the next year look appealing given their expected prices. Going back to 1440p 27" for work now feels small and looks rough on my aging eyes when I'm coding and reading a few hours a day. It's A-OK for gaming, though. I like to pair my main display with a super high refresh rate competitive display for when my competitive FPS urge kicks in. The 34" QD-OLED looks nice, but an ultrawide blocks off that path (also why couldn't they make that monitor 240hz?). My desk is too small for a 42" so the 3x" class is the limit for me.

Pretty much the same experience as with PG32UQ then.
These panels got flak for being "slow" while in practice that is the least of their problems.

Well my PG32UQ seems to have died :(

Went to log in to work on Friday, display wouldn't power on. Swapped in another display (Gigabyte M28U), came right on, worked perfectly. Sat the ASUS aside for the rest of the day. Came back in the evening and plugged it in directly to the wall with no inputs. Surprisingly it came on. Didn't have much time to mess with it so unplugged it and put it aside again until today.

Connected it to my main desktop today and it came on but was stuck in a boot loop. Managed to factory reset it during one loop and it seemed to have corrected the issue. Went away for a bit and came back, now no power again no matter what.

Just submitted an RMA - will be interesting to see how this goes.

Got tired of hunting for an M28u and decided on an M32u (at least temporarily until the "perfect" 32" monitor exists).

I'm hoping I'm lucky and it works well for my needs.

Well my PG32UQ seems to have died :(

Went to log in to work on Friday, display wouldn't power on. Swapped in another display (Gigabyte M28U), came right on, worked perfectly. Sat the ASUS aside for the rest of the day. Came back in the evening and plugged it in directly to the wall with no inputs. Surprisingly it came on. Didn't have much time to mess with it so unplugged it and put it aside again until today.

Connected it to my main desktop today and it came on but was stuck in a boot loop. Managed to factory reset it during one loop and it seemed to have corrected the issue. Went away for a bit and came back, now no power again no matter what.

Just submitted an RMA - will be interesting to see how this goes.
Good luck! I have not had fantastic experiences with Asus but I hope they make you whole

My favourite for this year:

LG UltraGear 32GQ950​

Now I’m waiting for a Release date/Price and a Review.

My favourite for this year:

LG UltraGear 32GQ950​

Now I’m waiting for a Release date/Price and a Review.

Oof, and I was just about to purchase an LG ultrawide. Having the HDR1000 rating...this thing will probably be pretty expensive at launch. right?

Oof, and I was just about to purchase an LG ultrawide. Having the HDR1000 rating...this thing will probably be pretty expensive at launch. right?
DHDR1000 on an IPS display without a FALD with a very high number of LEDs is highly likely to be unusable in practice. Look at all the issues people are complaining about in the PG32UQX thread.

So? In my world this is a good thing
I meant to say finally a decent monitor with a polarizer. It is a good thing of course. Last time I heard anything about consumer monitors with polarizers was about ten years ago, and that thing rocked for displaying black color without IPS glow.

DHDR1000 on an IPS display without a FALD with a very high number of LEDs is highly likely to be unusable in practice. Look at all the issues people are complaining about in the PG32UQX thread.

Oh yeah, I mean outside of functionality it will probably just be more expensive than it should be due to having the HDR1000 rating at all. womp womp .-.

I meant to say finally a decent monitor with a polarizer. It is a good thing of course. Last time I heard anything about consumer monitors with polarizers was about ten years ago, and that thing rocked for displaying black color without IPS glow.
You do realize ALL lcd's in the world have polarizer layers right? The reason you have not heard anything about them is because the best polarizer is one that doesn't affect viewing angles, and virtually all monitors/tvs/display that use LCD technology have the exact same type of polarizing layers. This "new" polarizer is not new at all. On the DIY forums people have been experimenting with removing and replacing the polarizing layers with other types, trading contrast and black level for terrible viewing angles.

Should also mention for people who are unfamiliar. Every LCD, whether a monitor, tv, or whatever, has two polarizing layers. Without one or both of them, the LCD would appear to be 100% white with no visible image. Years ago I used to make projectors with old LCD monitors. Part of the process involves removing the anti-glare film off the panel to allow more light to pass through for projection use. Often you would end up accidentally removed part or all of the top polarizing layer with it, rendering the screen useless without replacing the entire polarizer.

Further into the world of projection, Epson's famous "ultra black" technology found in the LCD based projectors is precisely this, a polarizer with an extremely narrow viewing angle. However since the panels are in a projector, viewing angles no longer matter since the final image is projected on a fabric screen and the lens aperture is at a 90 degree angle with the panel image. The narrower the viewing angles, the more contrast and black level is achievable on an LCD. LG is marketing this as a "true white" polarizer, suggesting it will do the opposite. It will likely increase the viewing angles, but trade away contrast and black level doing so, making the already poor contrast ratio of an IPS, that much worse.

This affect can already be seen with Samsung's and Sony's "ultra wide viewing angle technology". They turn VA panels with 5000:1+ contrast ratios, into VA panels with 1300:1 contrast ratios simply by using wide angle polarizers. Increasing viewing angles, destroying contrast.

Last edited:
You do realize ALL lcd's in the world have polarizer layers right? The reason you have not heard anything about them is because the best polarizer is one that doesn't affect viewing angles, and virtually all monitors/tvs/display that use LCD technology have the exact same type of polarizing layers. This "new" polarizer is not new at all. On the DIY forums people have been experimenting with removing and replacing the polarizing layers with other types, trading contrast and black level for terrible viewing angles.

Should also mention for people who are unfamiliar. Every LCD, whether a monitor, tv, or whatever, has two polarizing layers. Without one or both of them, the LCD would appear to be 100% white with no visible image. Years ago I used to make projectors with old LCD monitors. Part of the process involves removing the anti-glare film off the panel to allow more light to pass through for projection use. Often you would end up accidentally removed part or all of the top polarizing layer with it, rendering the screen useless without replacing the entire polarizer.

Further into the world of projection, Epson's famous "ultra black" technology found in the LCD based projectors is precisely this, a polarizer with an extremely narrow viewing angle. However since the panels are in a projector, viewing angles no longer matter since the final image is projected on a fabric screen and the lens aperture is at a 90 degree angle with the panel image. The narrower the viewing angles, the more contrast and black level is achievable on an LCD. LG is marketing this as a "true white" polarizer, suggesting it will do the opposite. It will likely increase the viewing angles, but trade away contrast and black level doing so, making the already poor contrast ratio of an IPS, that much worse.

This affect can already be seen with Samsung's and Sony's "ultra wide viewing angle technology". They turn VA panels with 5000:1+ contrast ratios, into VA panels with 1300:1 contrast ratios simply by using wide angle polarizers. Increasing viewing angles, destroying contrast.
Ye, we talk about A-TW polarizer, not just polarizer.

So guys, what are your favourite Monitor’s this year? Mine are:

- LG 42C2 (my favourite so far, but no Heatsink/no EX Panel, just why?!)
- LG 32GQ959 (Is it really just Edge LED instead of FALD?)
- Samsung Neo G8 (Panel lottery is gonna be awful)
- Acer X32/FP (is it the same Panel as the PG32UQX? Yuck)
- Alienware/Samsung 34 QD-OLED (Release End 2022/Q1 2023 + Price will be cataclysmic and unfortunately 1440p instead of 4k)

So guys, what are your favourite Monitor’s this year? Mine are:

- LG 42C2 (my favourite so far, but no Heatsink/no EX Panel, just why?!)
- LG 32GQ959 (Is it really just Edge LED instead of FALD?)
- Samsung Neo G8 (Panel lottery is gonna be awful)
- Acer X32/FP (is it the same Panel as the PG32UQX? Yuck)
- Alienware/Samsung 34 QD-OLED (Release End 2022/Q1 2023 + Price will be cataclysmic and unfortunately 1440p instead of 4k)
For me it is the PG32UQX. Its absolutely an incredible monitor. FALD tech still has a long way to go, but it really has been one of the biggest upgrades I have ever experienced in my 20 years of PC gaming.

Samsung's QD-OLED is the most interesting new tech for 2022. Here's hoping that it will be good and will expand into 32-42" 4K+ over the next couple of years. Also - the curve must die.

Got tired of hunting for an M28u and decided on an M32u (at least temporarily until the "perfect" 32" monitor exists).

I'm hoping I'm lucky and it works well for my needs.
So M32U arrived and I hooked everything up...and it did not power on! Lol.

And of course Best Buy has none in stock

Did you flip the power switch next to the plug?
Nope, but I just just figured out there is a switch a few minutes ago...and I already returned it. There is no mention of the switch in the included documentation and did not see it when plugging in the power. Oops!

Nope, but I just just figured out there is a switch a few minutes ago...and I already returned it. There is no mention of the switch in the included documentation and did not see it when plugging in the power. Oops!
Ahahahahahahahaha, nice one 😂

I know some are not mechanically inclined, but I don't understand how something like this was missed. Although, I get yelled at daily for not seeing things right in front of my face by the wifey, so I guess no I do understand.

I know some are not mechanically inclined, but I don't understand how something like this was missed. Although, I get yelled at daily for not seeing things right in front of my face by the wifey, so I guess no I do understand.
I manage to sometimes miss things that are right in front of me.

That said, you'd think that "ok, it's not powering on, what's going on" would lead to some looking around the monitor to find a power switch...

yeah I feel like a bit of a dummy...but I've never seen a monitor with a power switch right next to the power input like on this one. I'm very "in and out" these days due to my schedule...I did some very lite t- shooting (tried different outlets, different power cords, held in the "power button", pressed it rapidly to try to trigger the power, etc). I only had a little time before a family gathering and I decided returning while in the 15 day period was the best next step.

Having said this, I.also checked the included doc to see if I missed anything related to powering on the monitor...and there is zero mention of the switch. So I am only blaming so much!

I'm finally over that sick feeling because I made a reactive decision to return the monitor and now they are sold out...I'll either stalk BB for another M32U or continue waiting.

Or, maybe I can go back to my local BB and offer to buy the monitor I returned with an open box discount 😂

I manage to sometimes miss things that are right in front of me.

That said, you'd think that "ok, it's not powering on, what's going on" would lead to some looking around the monitor to find a power switch...
I certainly did that (I looked/felt around the sides/back of the monitor where a"switch" would usually be placed). The ports are tucked away under the screen and are difficult to get up unless the screen is face down

To be fair, the switch on the m32u is super thin and easy to miss. Its highly unusual on a monitor as well.

I only knew about the switch after reading reviews. Still doesn't change the fact the 3 I had all had dead pixels and coil whine. Someone out there had the perfect M32U and returned it because they didn't know about the power switch.

I only knew about the switch after reading reviews. Still doesn't change the fact the 3 I had all had dead pixels and coil whine. Someone out there had the perfect M32U and returned it because they didn't know about the power switch.
...or the monitor had other issues anyway so the next one will be perfect (at least, that's what my wife thinks 😃)

Edit: I was finally able to get an M32U from Amazon (they are actually 739.99 USD in the US currently) and after some limited testing yesterday, I can say I'm extremely happy so far!

I haven't noticed any dead pixels, there is no noticeable backlight bleed/glowing/ halo'ing, and functionality-wise, it's great (the KVM works perfectly!). I watched some 4K/HDR content and I thought it handled fine. The brightness is not exceptional, but the image/smoothness is great IMO (I have a Sony X900E as my main television and that was my first experience with HDR...and the brightness when watching HDR content is also not fantastic, so I've always just assumed that was normal). For a gaming test, I played Doom (I figured that would be good to check for any image smearing, etc since it's a very fast- paced game) and it honestly looked great. I'll be playing around with it some more and will test something a little more graphically-intensive to see how it handles when FPS is not ~200. If anyone has any questions or would like me to test anything, I'm happy to.

Last edited:
Quick update...I've spent a fair amount of time testing some games ( GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider demo, Doom, Resident Evil Village) with settings completely maxed and I think performance is of they monitor is very good. With the exception of forgetting to enable V-Sync in NCP (which I did not think of as i have not done any PC gaming configuration in a while - and this caused massive tearing in GTA in full screen mode) I can say motion looks pretty good, no tearing noticeable and no other visual issues with pretty erratic frame rates. I may just stick with this instead of waiting for the "perfect" monitor to be released.

What's the best in this category under $1000 USD? M32U? I have a 1440p ultrawide on my racing rig currently but plan to play a decent amount of GT7 on the PS5 which doesn't support 1440p. This seems like the best alternative, I would go cheaper but I kinda want HDMI 2.1 and 144hz.

What's the best in this category under $1000 USD? M32U? I have a 1440p ultrawide on my racing rig currently but plan to play a decent amount of GT7 on the PS5 which doesn't support 1440p. This seems like the best alternative, I would go cheaper but I kinda want HDMI 2.1 and 144hz.

The M32U or Asus PG32UQ are you're best bets, it just depends what you're after. If you want faster response times, get the M32U. If you want greater color gamut coverage, then get the PG32UQ.

The M32U or Asus PG32UQ are you're best bets, it just depends what you're after. If you want faster response times, get the M32U. If you want greater color gamut coverage, then get the PG32UQ.
Thanks, it’s mainly just going to be a sim racing screen and a backup console screen if my C1 is in use. Motion clarity and response times would be the primary concern so I think I will go with the M32U and maybe swap it out with a 42c2 if they are a reasonable price down the road. Or if I can’t stand 16:9 for racing maybe I will go a different route entirely.

February coming to an end and still no news on Acer X32 FP.
Gonna go out on a limb here and assume it's delayed.

February coming to an end and still no news on Acer X32 FP.
Gonna go out on a limb here and assume it's delayed.

Why would there be anymore news/updates in Feb when the monitor isn't coming out until Q3?

1645315377463.png

I ended up ordering the M32U, should be here Monday. Interestingly enough my AOC CU34G2X accepts a 4k signal and downsamples it to 1440P which didn't look terrible, but playing Demon Souls on it reminded why I went IPS on my primary monitor. Hopefully the M32U is decent.

Back