The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

It would occur when I had a darker background with a bright object on it for example I would see it on the hardforums in dark mode. One way I remember replicating it for Asus support was go to a 60-70ish% grey scale screen and open a white box like notepad and move it around with the fald turned on. You would see you a yellow/orange glow like an inch off the sides as you move it around.

Asus support told me it was a fald anomaly that was essentially like a IPS glow caused by the extremely bright object bleeding into the near by grey scale zones on the panel. If that's accurate I have no idea just what they told me.

If they did dim it slightly it might no longer be an issue cause this was on both of my launch models that got painfully bright.
Would you not turn off FALD on desktop regardless?

I don't personally turn it off on the desktop because its not really intrusive enough to do so. Its not like Samsung FALD on the desktop that dims the cursor and adjacent zones around windows making the entire desktop look oddly cloudy. This monitor just looks like a normal IPS most of the time with a subtle glow around the cursor on dark backgrounds. Its probably the most usable desktop FALD implementation there is. I know the early launch versions got slaughtered by people for the bloom on desktop but IMO that is way toned down now. I'll try and post a example when its dark enough in my room.

I'll try and recreate the orange glow thing later tonight.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
I don't personally turn it off on the desktop because its not really intrusive enough to do so. Its not like Samsung FALD on the desktop that dims the cursor and adjacent zones around windows making the entire desktop look oddly cloudy. This monitor just looks like a normal IPS most of the time with a subtle glow around the cursor on dark backgrounds. Its probably the most usable desktop FALD implementation there is. I know the early launch versions got slaughtered by people for the bloom on desktop but IMO that is way toned down now. I'll try and post a example when its dark enough in my room.
I still tend to leave mine off. You are right it usually isn't that big a deal, but I can see it particularly on sites like Hardforum that use middle gray colors. Also I don't find high contrast to be a real benefit on the desktop so generally I leave it off on the desktop, and only on in games.

Weird they decided to nerf the brightness. That was what made the Asus standout above the rest. Looks like that upcoming TCL, if it does release, will have an easier time dethroning the Asus now.

I still tend to leave mine off. You are right it usually isn't that big a deal, but I can see it particularly on sites like Hardforum that use middle gray colors. Also I don't find high contrast to be a real benefit on the desktop so generally I leave it off on the desktop, and only on in games.
I leave HDR on 24/7 which is one of the benefits of this monitor since so few handle HDR on the desktop well. With RTX HDR and the SDR to HDR video enhancement from Nvidia, it's too inconvenient to swap back and forth based on the content I'm consuming.

Weird they decided to nerf the brightness. That was what made the Asus standout above the rest. Looks like that upcoming TCL, if it does release, will have an easier time dethroning the Asus now.
I dunno if it really makes any difference in actual content. It still clips at right around 1600nits in the HDRCalibration app and highlights look incredibly bright in games.

I leave HDR on 24/7 which is one of the benefits of this monitor since so few handle HDR on the desktop well. With RTX HDR and the SDR to HDR video enhancement from Nvidia, it's too inconvenient to swap back and forth based on the content I'm consuming.
Fair. At this point my HDR use case is almost entirely games, so I just switch it on when I'm playing (actually most games know how to switch it on themselves). I also go for the more aggressive Level 3 dimming in HDR mode, which makes it more noticeable. I find that in actual content I prefer the brightness/contrast advantage it offers, despite the slight blooming in some cases.

It would occur when I had a darker background with a bright object on it for example I would see it on the hardforums in dark mode. One way I remember replicating it for Asus support was go to a 60-70ish% grey scale screen and open a white box like notepad and move it around with the fald turned on. You would see you a yellow/orange glow like an inch off the sides as you move it around.

Asus support told me it was a fald anomaly that was essentially like a IPS glow caused by the extremely bright object bleeding into the near by grey scale zones on the panel. If that's accurate I have no idea just what they told me.

If they did dim it slightly it might no longer be an issue cause this was on both of my launch models that got painfully bright.
I just tried this and do not see any yellowing on the edges.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
Back