Tesla Is About to Feel the Heat as Electric Car Manufacturers Roll Out New Cars

Or you could buy this adapter and software upgrade so your tesla can charge at one of the places that follows the fast-charging standard that was founded before the first model S was delivered (pretty idiotic to create your own proprietary standard after everyone else has weighed in and then offer up the patents like "hey guys lets standardize" - chademo was founded in 2010 and the SAE charging standards/plugs were even earlier than that.)

I disagree. One of my dealers pulled up in one the other day, I LOVED the interior. Lots of real wood, minimal instruments (LCD panels).

No doubt. The wife and I test drove one a while back and the interior is slick AF, much nicer than Tesla and more economic.

Any and all car makers can join Tesla charging standard, they choose not to wanting instead to offer their own standards (which is idiotic)

https://www.autovistagroup.com/news...ning-its-supercharger-network-other-carmakers

https://electrek.co/2017/06/19/tesla-supercharger-sharing-automakers/

There are also adapters

https://insideevs.com/charging-a-bolt-ev-at-a-tesla-destination-station-sure-you-can/

People can nay say all they want about EVs... they'll just sound like horses ;)

It does not matter. If automakers all decide to keep their charging systems proprietary, then they just put a stake into the heart of EV. I sure as hell will not buy one unless they decide on one standard and all adhere to it.

Pull up to a charging station and then have to figure out which one is for my car,....oh,...that is at the other charging station across the freeway.... No thank you.

They also don't want to sell them since you won't be coming in for service, which is where they make their money. A normal dealer has ZERO incentive to move EVs. Plus, most dealers a clueless about them.

Disclosure: I own a Model S100D.

Yea it was pretty LOL when my buddy brought his E-golf in for the 1 year service. Checkfluids obdII check, bye bye.

Blu ray vs HD DVD. Which one will become the standard of the future. All it takes is a majority of the manufacturers to agree on a charging standard and they will force the oddball out. Adapt to the standard, or watch your sales dwindle.

Dear Subaru, I want you to release an AWD car with 4 electric motors..one for each wheel. Tesla is not my thing given the Ludacris support policies and outright repair expenses...

Thanks,

Yeuemmaimai :p

Failure to have compatible charging stations between manufacturers is a stupid, short-sighted decision that will not help EV adoption, only hinder it.
Charging stations need to be independent of the manufacturer, just like existing gas stations. For example, I'm fairly certain my local Cumberland Farms station is not associated with nor owned by Ford, GM, Toyota or any other car manufacturer, yet the station can fill the tank of any car that pulls up to a pump.
Almost everyone but Tesla has a common plug in North America. Tesla has an adapter that lets Tesla users use the common plug system. there is only one bad actor here.

I guess I understand all the Tesla/musk hate but you understand he and his company laid the groundwork for this, made it feasible. Trash him all you want, and he seems to have burned out (assuming not many of you have held high stress executive positions before) which is not that all uncommon. Been there. Done that.

No matter your view of Tesla, the organization or musk, he did do what he claims he does and potentially created a solution to a huge problem. And now everyone is on the bandwagon after his company created the need for infrastructure. in the end he probably doesn't get the trophy, but...
Still waiting on that $35K Model 3 he promised.
hrmmmm? The Model 3 is fairly cheap all things considered. All new cars are extremely overpriced which has been a trend for years. Sorry if your salary isn't enough for an entry EV, but what a loaded statement that only .03% can afford them considering the Model 3, Leaf, etc... I wouldn't pay 49k for entry level EV, but look at the market - they are charging insane prices for all new cars.
I don't know where you're shopping, but people have plenty of good options in the $15k-$30k range including hybrids, which at this point in the game are far more economical than an EV.

No doubt. The wife and I test drove one a while back and the interior is slick AF, much nicer than Tesla and more economic.

The only issue I had was the range. The 2 gallon backup engine/generator was a neat touch...but not necessary if you have a 200+ mile range to start with. I prefer an all electric solution.

Dear Subaru, I want you to release an AWD car with 4 electric motors..one for each wheel. Tesla is not my thing given the Ludacris support policies and outright repair expenses...

Thanks,

Yeuemmaimai :p

Ludacris = Popular rapper and actor

lu·di·crous
ˈlo͞odəkrəs/
adjective
  1. so foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing; ridiculous.
    "it's ludicrous that I have been fined"
    synonyms: absurd, ridiculous, farcical, laughable, risible, preposterous, foolish, mad, insane, idiotic, stupid, inane, silly, asinine, nonsensical;
    informalcrazy
    "a ludicrous idea"

Care to explain? If not, why post?

Stock is 25-33% shorted at any time. Its mortgaged out the wazzo.

The stock is literally a pyramid scheme at this point. Or do you honestly believe that people are invested in future hopes that a company worth more than ford yet ships less than 100k vehicles a year, will grow 5x in value when it starts shipping say 1 million vehicles a year?

Except telsa opened the patents for their charging tech 4 years ago, giving other manufacturers plenty of time to develop against that tech so they can all move towards a standard. Instead it looks like they decided to go the apple route, ignore any existing standards and push out their own proprietary shit.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/05/26/t...-sustainability-for-transport-and-for-itself/

So do tell, what else is tesla supposed to do in this case? Pay other companies to use their standards?......

It will work itself out. Everyone BUT Tesla is using Level 2 charging, and Tesla's CAN plug into those with an adaptor. Heres a link with more info:
https://chargehub.com/en/electric-car-charging-guide.html

The new Jaguar I-Pace are gorgeous and solid! https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/i-pace/index.html .
636474872589291814CG.jpg

The only issue I had was the range. The 2 gallon backup engine/generator was a neat touch...but not necessary if you have a 200+ mile range to start with. I prefer an all electric solution.

Except you can fill the 2 gallon tank a lot faster than you can charge the batteries.

I like the idea of a serial hybrid. Basically an electric car with a limited battery, and a small ICE to charge the battery when needed.
Most the plug-in Hybrids are not serial hybrids, since they have a transmission that connects the ICE to the wheels.

Except you can fill the 2 gallon tank a lot faster than you can charge the batteries.

I like the idea of a serial hybrid. Basically an electric car with a limited battery, and a small ICE to charge the battery when needed.
Most the plug-in Hybrids are not serial hybrids, since they have a transmission that connects the ICE to the wheels.

Yeah, I used to think like that too...then I realized that I don't need fast charging for my daily commute. I DO need an all electric vehicle though, my commute is upwards of 100 miles PER DAY and I spend a small fortune on gas, even though I average 30mpg. The money I save on gas will almost make my car payment for me...and when the car is paid off...

For longer trips, I will simply keep my existing 2014 Kia Soul and just drive the EV to and from work. A 10 hour overnight charge (even on 110v) will suffice for that purpose.

I'm curious about some of these other models.

I'd like to see them though. The article mentions the BMW i3, but I don't think that is a serious contender. Car companies don't seem to realize that one of Tesla's biggest advantages is that their models look like real cars. I think this is what people want.

Not something that looks like some sort of futuristic electric toy, like the BMW i3.

Almost everyone but Tesla has a common plug in North America. Tesla has an adapter that lets Tesla users use the common plug system. there is only one bad actor here.

I mean, there's like 7 common plugs. J1772-2009 is common for 120/240V based charging, but it wasn't around in time for the roadsters, which use a IEC 62196 type 2 (Mennekes) connector, that's popular in Europe. In the US Tesla used a different connection for high voltage/current superchargers, but most other sellers to the US market use Chademo for that, I can't find an actual date on that one. I don't entirely blame Tesla for these differences; the standards came too late for them, so they kept doing what they're doing. This isn't unlike lightning vs usb-c on the iPhone; lightning was better than the older iPhone connector *and* micro usb, so they're going to go with it for a while, even though usb-c is more interoperable in general. If Tesla pivots to supplying quick charging for the world, they'll probably add more widely adopted connectors to their installations, and support those in future models of their cars too, but it'll take a while, there's a lot of chicken and egg there.

Most dont want to spend $32k for something that comes with seat and interior out of a cobalt.

Yes i know EV's are more expensive, but please people, stop taking $15k base model cars, slapping ev stuff in them, and charging(pun) $35-55k. Kia soul, $15k, kia soul EV $20k, people could swing that.
Have you even sat in one? The interior and features are nothing to scoff at. Surround vision, 10" touch screen, Android auto /carplay, 300 ft lbs of torque will get you moving quick from a dead stop. It's not like the thing doesn't have luxury features, heated steering and seats. Rear view mirror display and camera. Lane keeping assist, blind spot warnings etc.. I can care less what the door and trim is made of. It actually looks nice to me. If looks and performance mattered more to me than comfort and practicality now I would still be driving a Camaro SS. What I'm saying is there's a mass market ev car right there that everyone ignores cause GM won't market the fucking thing.

OH I forgot to add, maintenance is nearly non existent on evs, that's one of the reasons I opted for full electric over a hybrid or plug in hybrid. Less shit to go wrong, no filters or oil changes. No transmission to break etc... I've been leasing volts for the last 6 years waiting for the right price for a full ev, it's finally here.

I mean, there's like 7 common plugs. J1772-2009 is common for 120/240V based charging, but it wasn't around in time for the roadsters, which use a IEC 62196 type 2 (Mennekes) connector, that's popular in Europe. In the US Tesla used a different connection for high voltage/current superchargers, but most other sellers to the US market use Chademo for that, I can't find an actual date on that one. I don't entirely blame Tesla for these differences; the standards came too late for them, so they kept doing what they're doing. This isn't unlike lightning vs usb-c on the iPhone; lightning was better than the older iPhone connector *and* micro usb, so they're going to go with it for a while, even though usb-c is more interoperable in general. If Tesla pivots to supplying quick charging for the world, they'll probably add more widely adopted connectors to their installations, and support those in future models of their cars too, but it'll take a while, there's a lot of chicken and egg there.
No no no! It is all Tesla's fault, and that is that!/s

Tesla shall remain a luxury vehicle brand for the foreseeable future. The profit margin isn't high on model 3 and will be even less with the base $35k model 3. Given Tesla's shaky financial situation, they cannot afford to make low profit margin vehicles yet. I think the sub $40k is where the competition can steal potential customers. Chevy volt/bolt are prime examples. When other auto makers join this group, it will be good for consumers. On the high end, there are Jag and Porsche. I am very excited to see how the Porsche Taycan will turn out. Until then Tesla will remain as the premium electric vehicle maker.

I just bought a new chevy bolt last week, my net cost after rebates and taxes is 26k, about the same as my wife's crv, I did get a killer deal on a new model sitting on a lot for a year though, dealership took a bath to get it off their books. They sold 2 in the last year and a half.
I would buy a Bolt in a heartbeat for 26k. I need to check around and see if any of the local dealers will try to unload one of the 2018's

Yeah, I used to think like that too...then I realized that I don't need fast charging for my daily commute. I DO need an all electric vehicle though, my commute is upwards of 100 miles PER DAY and I spend a small fortune on gas, even though I average 30mpg. The money I save on gas will almost make my car payment for me...and when the car is paid off...

For longer trips, I will simply keep my existing 2014 Kia Soul and just drive the EV to and from work. A 10 hour overnight charge (even on 110v) will suffice for that purpose.

If I had a commute like that, and if it was on the freeway here in Southern California, I'd have a different opinion of electric cars. Single drivers with an electric car can use the carpool lane :D
This is one of the reasons electric cars are so popular in California.

I would buy a Bolt in a heartbeat for 26k. I need to check around and see if any of the local dealers will try to unload one of the 2018's
Your upfront cost is going to be higher as the 7500 rebate comes with your tax refund, also my car was a NEW 2017 which I'm pretty sure they can't sell as new after we hit 2019,so they were willing to take a bath on the car to get it off their books.

I did get a great deal though, had the 240v line put in my Garage earlier this week and now have a 40 amp charger for it.

If I had a commute like that, and if it was on the freeway here in Southern California, I'd have a different opinion of electric cars. Single drivers with an electric car can use the carpool lane :D
This is one of the reasons electric cars are so popular in California.

Yeah, that doesn't work here in WA State, unfortunately. Still, considering the amount of money I spend on gas, it really makes sense for me to go electric, even without use of the carpool lanes.

If Tesla does not make ther charging stations available to all makes, then they are driving a stake into the heart of the entire EV industry.

This could get entertaining.

Companies would rather sink than share. Look at HD-DVD. People want to charge and own the standard. Sucks but that's how the greedy fucks are.

Tesla shall remain a luxury vehicle brand for the foreseeable future. The profit margin isn't high on model 3 and will be even less with the base $35k model 3. Given Tesla's shaky financial situation, they cannot afford to make low profit margin vehicles yet. I think the sub $40k is where the competition can steal potential customers. Chevy volt/bolt are prime examples. When other auto makers join this group, it will be good for consumers. On the high end, there are Jag and Porsche. I am very excited to see how the Porsche Taycan will turn out. Until then Tesla will remain as the premium electric vehicle maker.
Tesla could easily sell the model 3 for 35k and make good profit if they knew a thing or two about mass manufacturing and supply chain logistics. Tesla vehicles have plenty of profit margin built-in from parts and technology due to their massive integration and simplification of electronics, their designs are truly brilliant but again that's if they could pump cars out like GM or toyota. Most of their profits are likely to be eaten up by their immature processes.

Back