Temps too high which thermal paste to use?

Theultimateeye

Limp Gawd
Cooler is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. I recently tried switching from Prolimatech PK-1 back to the original Phanteks paste that came with it but temps shot up like 9 deg. celsius. So i'm either going to switch back to the Prolimatech paste or try something else if there's a better paste that you recommend? 2600k @ 4.8ghz and my max temp with the PK-1 paste was 77 celsius on IBT maximum. The Phanteks paste topped out at 87 celsius and it would've gone higher but i shut it down at that point. I'd like to stick to air and stay under 75 celsius if possible.

I've always been partial to AS5, but right now I'm running MX-2 and it seems to work just aswell. 9 deg variance sounds like your cooler wasn't mounted properly.

It did seem like a big difference. Maybe i didn't mount it properly this time? I did use a lot more pressure to screw down the mounts then i did before. I'll give it another go.

Paste makes a couple of degrees of temp difference at most - normally just 1 or 2. I'd say something else was wrong with such a high difference, either a poor application or a mounting problem.

PK-1 has a very good reputation.
Generally large temperature changes mean installation or paste application problems.
9 or 10 degrees Celsius is a lot.

Cooler is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. I recently tried switching from Prolimatech PK-1 back to the original Phanteks paste that came with it but temps shot up like 9 deg. celsius. So i'm either going to switch back to the Prolimatech paste or try something else if there's a better paste that you recommend? 2600k @ 4.8ghz and my max temp with the PK-1 paste was 77 celsius on IBT maximum. The Phanteks paste topped out at 87 celsius and it would've gone higher but i shut it down at that point. I'd like to stick to air and stay under 75 celsius if possible.

77 degrees? and your target it 75? IMO that is more than OK if you're not pushing high volts and if it's in IBT. maximum Other apps should run a lot cooler.

As for Thermalpastes, I recently read a review that the PK-1 is one of the best, so IMO there is not much other pastes that are going to give you more than a couple degrees difference for you to switch to them.

Also there should only be a few degrees difference between Thermalpastes. Shouldn't be seeing 10 degrees difference.

Have you checked your mounting? How are you applying the Thermalpaste?

if it shot up 9C its more then likely not the paste and more to do with it not being mounted correctly. there's really only a 3-4C difference at the most between all the thermal pastes.

There's always such controversy, difference will likely be less than 3 degrees.

I prefer non-conductive stuff with AS5 or MX-2 on the other side. There are tons...

I went back and re-mounted the cooler again using the pk-1 again and the max temp is now 76 celsius so i guess that's close enough. This time i used the finger-inside-a-plastic-bag-and-spread-evenly method. The first time i used the pea-size drop in the middle and let the cooler pressure spread the paste out. Looks like i'll stick with the pk-1. Thanks for the replies!

Back