[TechSpot] Quad 3090 tested in a workstation

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
Saw this - apparently it's mostly the power draw, I would have thought more issues from the software side but I guess not. I'm still not convinced, since the article says they aren't offering quad builds to most customers. All they said was you need a 20 amp circuit, that's not a huge problem for someone who is able to afford 4x 3090's at this day and age.

Still, they plan to offer 3x, so there must be something here.

Why would they do that for an article focused on workstation performance?

And plenty of other people have already tested 3090 SLI, so just go look at those.
Yeah gaming SLI they don't pan out those 1% lows are still as brutal as ever and they ruin it. But in workloads, the 3090's is not using the SLI of old but NVLink which is vastly superior in every measurable way. But there are no titles out there designed to really use a multi-card system and at this stage why would they. Vulkan and DX12 are both working on API's for multi-GPU systems to prepare for the eventual release of MCM based cards, that is where things need to go and pretty sure NVidia made that clear in their press release when they announced that they would no longer be developing new SLI profiles for games after some arbitrary date in the near future.

Still, I'm a little butt-hurt that NVidia pushed all that gamer branding onto the 3090's outside of the Gigabyte Turbo's and possibly a few of the EVGA cards it makes it near impossible to get accounting sign off on one of them unlike the more business-friendly names like the A6000 or anything Quadro or hell the older MX parts. The second they toss Gamer, RGB, Extreme, etc... Into the title, it raises a crapload of flags with the year-end auditors which then requires explanations and written summaries and meetings then meetings on why we had to have the meeting all of which then involve me having to tell the same story to a bunch of people who are most upset that the optics of the part having that name makes them look sloppy.

Nevermind: EVGA added gaming to the end of the XC3 so the Gigabyte is the only one I can find so far. Not that my supplier has either in stock mind you.

Still, I'm a little butt-hurt that NVidia pushed all that gamer branding onto the 3090's outside of the Gigabyte Turbo's and possibly a few of the EVGA cards it makes it near impossible to get accounting sign off on one of them unlike the more business-friendly names like the A6000 or anything Quadro or hell the older MX parts. The second they toss Gamer, RGB, Extreme, etc... Into the title, it raises a crapload of flags with the year-end auditors which then requires explanations and written summaries and meetings then meetings on why we had to have the meeting all of which then involve me having to tell the same story to a bunch of people who are most upset that the optics of the part having that name makes them look sloppy.

that was the whole point of the 3090.. they were losing sales of their workstation cards to the RTX titan.. RTX titan at 3k dollars was a whole lot easier to sell to accounting than an RTX 6000 or 8000. :p

Back