T series Intels

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
Anyone else love used T series Intel processors? I'm currently running 5800x in my gaming rig so I'm not purely team Blue. But for my appliances; My pfsense, my truenas, currently using a i3 7100T and an i5 7500t respectively. In prior versions of those appliances I used Sandy and Ivy Bridge T series as well.

They sip power, and I've always run used Intel stock coolers and they sit at 35C.

The T series is too perfect for these builds.

I put a 8400T in my father's security camera setup since the software he uses supported quicksync. They work well for what they are.

I do not like them. I want moar powah.

They generally overclock really well especially if you can find an unlocked one. I had a L5609 could do over a 50% OC on just the FSB, no multiplier changes.

If a CPU isn't the one of the top two or three SKU's in the product line, I'm not interested.

My file server uses an i3 2120T with a stock cooler from an i7. Even when it needs to pop a little AVX action, I've never heard the cooler go faster than minimum speed.

The downside is that all the chips, T or not, tend to idle at the same very low power at the same core count, so a low requirement system doesn't really benefit.

i liked the retail option of T back in the day (i3 2100T was solid), but I can easily make-due with 65w processors.

Its so much harder to find the higher-end models in the wild for non-exorbitant prices (even before they made the OEM-only, you couldn't find an i5 or i7 t-series anywhere in retail at msrp) (so 65w processors are a fine replacement).

Also, theres no difference in idle power draw between a T and S (on same motherboard, power consumption is identical.)

Last edited:
Also, theres no difference in idle power draw between a T and S (on same motherboard, power consumption is identical.)

I didn't know there was ever a retail option.

I have bought many T series used. Only ever seen one S series before. Will look into them.

I'm more familiar with recent AMD. They make these too, but you can also get the full power chip and limit the power in BIOS to acheive just about the same thing. I'm cheap and my purchasing is about the polar opposite of Dan_D, I bought a top 3 SKU once, but usually I just want the latest architecture and get one of the bottom 3 SKUs... Anyway, when the T and similar are available at retail, they're often the same price or more as the regular one; there's no value there that I can't approximate with power and/or clock limiting. Now if it were 10% off, and the intended use was modest, I'd consider it. I don't know if there's a big enough price difference in used processors, I'm not in that market.

I built a system for a friend's business almost 10 years ago now using an i3-3220T with a big Thermalright heatsink in a Lian Li PC-Q11 mini-ITX case and it has been running pretty much 24 hours a day since it was built - the awesome part is the only fan in the whole system is the PSU fan! I never put a fan on the Thermalright heatsink, and was able to passively cool the i3-3220T and it never goes over 60-65C even under full load!

So yeah, consider me impressed with them!

I built a system for a friend's business almost 10 years ago now using an i3-3220T with a big Thermalright heatsink in a Lian Li PC-Q11 mini-ITX case and it has been running pretty much 24 hours a day since it was built - the awesome part is the only fan in the whole system is the PSU fan! I never put a fan on the Thermalright heatsink, and was able to passively cool the i3-3220T and it never goes over 60-65C even under full load!

Yeah it's bonkers. I use the dinky smallest stock intel coolers and they sit at 35C all day long.

The problem with the i3-3220T is they sacrificed gpu performance to hit that 35w level - the i3-3225 I used in my first htpc had much beefier graphics- played portal 2 at 720p

Back