Switching/Testing RAM slots (CPU cooler Un-Mount) do i need to apply thermal paste EVERY TIME...?

Moratorium

n00b
Hello

I will be probably doing an upgrade of RAM (adding additional 2 sticks of RAM to my already existing (6years old)) two sticks of RAM (for 4 sticks of RAM in total) on my 6 year old PC + maybe (very probably) i will also be upgrading the CPU (from Ryzen 1700 to Ryzen 5950x) (while keeping the same old Motheboard) I have 6 year old motherboard. I will have to update BIOS.

I have a BIG AIR cooler (Scythe Ninja 4), that blocks AT LEAST one ram slot ("Blocks" meaning i have to take the cooler (heatsink, not just fan) off to acces this slot and to place or remove a RAM stick (which is already in)). It Might "block" the 2nd ram slot too... Im not sure now, have to test it.

The catch is - im expecting problems... Im expecting (maybe) that i will have problems with the RAM, and that i will have to try different combinations of the RAM (in different slots, just 2 Old sticks, just 2 new sticks, all 4 sticks together, in different slots etc...) Im expecting having problems and to having to switch the placement of the RAM sticks. Also im not exactly sure the new 5950x will work on my old motherboard even with the new bios (it should accordind to internet, but still).... So... in light of all of this, im expecting sadly, that i will have to put the cpu cooler (heatsink) on and off several times...

My question is - i assume, it is NOT safe to test the PC without the CPU cooler (heatsink) completely OFF...?) By testing i mean just accesing BIOS more or less and looking if it accepts the CPU... Maybe boot into windows. By Testing i do NOT mean some heavy stress testing by some applications in windows. I assume, leaving the heatsink OFF the CPU is completely off the table, i should NOT do it, and CPU wouldnt really survive it even in bios or boot to windows, correct?

BUT can i put the heatsink (and FAN) on the CPU at least WITHOUT applying the thermal paste every singl time...? This could be done right? The CPU wont damage or overheat without thermal paste just "fiddling around" in BIOS or Windows (no stress testing)...? Correct, can i do it? Run it without ANY thermal paste at all?

(If i would have to apply THERMAL PASTE every f.... time i try to POST, ram slot placement etc. i will... be very SAD :-(.

Can i do this without thermal paste...? (just for the "compatability testing", if i see that everything runs, functions and "plays together", i will of course apply thermal paste in the end for a long term use.

(And isnt there some way to do this even without the heatsink on CPU...? My Cooler Scythe Ninja 4 AFAIK doesnt have the easiest instalation, so if i could avoid deadling with the screws in every test it would be even easier...?)

Don't run without a cooler mounted. I suppose it would be OK just long enough to POST.

My thought would be to try to find an under-$15 cooler and use it for the duration of your RAM fiddling. Maybe you can find someone with a Ryzen stock cooler sitting on a shelf. You wouldn't need a cooler capable of handling the CPU under load, just something to keep it from thermal shutdown for 5-10 minutes.

Don't run without a cooler mounted. I suppose it would be OK just long enough to POST.

My thought would be to try to find an under-$15 cooler and use it for the duration of your RAM fiddling. Maybe you can find someone with a Ryzen stock cooler sitting on a shelf. You wouldn't need a cooler capable of handling the CPU under load, just something to keep it from thermal shutdown for 5-10 minutes.

This.

Get a stock cooler for your fiddling and repaste on final cooler replacement, disturbed paste will suffice for fiddling and testing in OS of choice.

just move the fan to the back while testing. simple.
edit: or does it block you first slot?

Just run a graphene pad. They are cheap and can be remounted much easier than cleaning thermal paste off each time.

just move the fan to the back while testing. simple.
edit: or does it block you first slot?
lol the fan is not the problem, i can remove that easily (i have to even, the FAN blocks ALL the slots :) ).

The problem is the heatsink, the heatsink blocks the 1st ram slot (and maybe even 2nd...? it will be a TIGHT call), thats the problem. Fan removal is easy, heatsink not so much :) :-(

BTW i got some additional ideas:

1) Well im not really worrying about the 5950x part, im worrying about the rams. Like that PC wont really even start etc. (i had some problems with RAM in the past) and that i will have to try "every possible ram" configuration (new+old, duo, solo, every slot etc.) and i just dont want to paste everytime. I could probably just "use" the old paste (6years old) that is currently on the CPU for the ram testing ("testing" - meanign will it even POST (or really even turn on)) with the ram... That will ensure that there is at least SOME paste "somewhat around" there... And when i find out what configuration of ram works ok, i will just take the heatsink off for the last/final time, clean it (and the CPU) and finally apply the new thermal paste.
2) I just got additional idea - do i have to screw the Heatsing in really just for a quick "test" to see if the system POSTs with the ram...? Its a big heatsink, should/is heavy... the PC will be in "lying down" position... Cant I just the the heatsink (with the old thermal paste) on the CPU (without screwing it in)...? It should be ok for just a POST test or quick check of BIOS...? (or Am i wrong...?)

3) To use some other small cooler for the period of RAM combination (and slots) testing - thanks, this is a good suggestion, and AFAIK the ryzen 1700 CAME with some stock cooler so i should have ti somewhere...
BUT... can i use it with the Scythe Backplate...? Wont i have to instal/reinstal anything in the motherboard socket or around it...? I just take the Scythe Fans and Heatsink off and simply put the amd default cooler in (heatsink+fan)... I dont have to deal with any backplate changing or anything...? (cause that would be even MORE of a chore(work/problems).

Unmounting and remounting that big cooler multiple times feels like a bad idea to me; I think you're asking for a stress failure of the board or mount. The stock coolers will very likely need the original backplate reinstalled, but that's less work than man-handling the Ninja 8 or 10 times.

Just laying the Ninja on without screwing it down might suffice for a few minutes, unless it tends to tip over.

a simple "yes it blocks the first slot" is all thats needed... and in that case, leave it loose and just put a dab of paste and squish it down.

Meh, I would just buy one bigger kit of RAM, DDR4 is pretty cheap, and avoid all the misery.

I once could not boot anymore after using 2 different kit's of RAM, and they were the same brand and model number, just different manufacturing batches.

Back