"Sweet Spot"

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
I'm pretty happy with my Lenovo Explorer, especially with the limited VR gaming I do.

That said my main complaint with it is how tiny the "sweet spot" is when positioning the HMD. a centimeter in any direction causes everything to go pretty blurry. I don't have the funds for an Index, but is this common with all HMD's, or is there an upgrade I should be thinking about? Aside from my Explorer, the only VR experience I have is one of those $5 things you clip your phone in heh.

The Explorer was my first VR headset; the sweet spot is indeed quite brutal, and I never really found a way to mitigate it. As far as I've heard, most of the headsets currently on the market are significantly better in this regard. An Oculus or Odyssey+ should do you fine, but the safer bet will generally be a headset featuring a phisical IPD adjustment.

Have you measured your IPD (inter pupil distance)? From what I gather that can really cramp a VR experience.

I'm pretty happy with my Lenovo Explorer, especially with the limited VR gaming I do.

That said my main complaint with it is how tiny the "sweet spot" is when positioning the HMD. a centimeter in any direction causes everything to go pretty blurry. I don't have the funds for an Index, but is this common with all HMD's, or is there an upgrade I should be thinking about? Aside from my Explorer, the only VR experience I have is one of those $5 things you clip your phone in heh.

Some headsets have a smaller sweet spot than others.

The Rift S and Oculus Quest have large sweet spots. The Index has a small sweet spot.

It depends entirely on the headset and the lenses it uses. Some headsets simply have a crappy tiny sweetspot, but having wrong IPD setting can also make the issue worse than it can be.

Back