Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right.
You can't even tell us what your server can be used for! What makes you think your sarcastic comment comes from a position of knowledge?

Benchmarks demonstrating the point have been posted. If you think they're full of shit, pull your box out of the closet, plug it in, put Linux on it and prove it! Common benchmarking tools are free and a Google search away.

Can't believe this is still going on 🤣

Not sure whether the OP is just excessively obtuse, or is seriously mentally challenged (handicapped). Hopefully he can get some help (VA, maybe.. since I did see mention of maybe prior service???)

Can't believe this is still going on 🤣

Not sure whether the OP is just excessively obtuse, or is seriously mentally challenged (handicapped). Hopefully he can get some help (VA, maybe.. since I did see mention of maybe prior service???)
He said it, claiming to have worked in the military in a law enforcement capacity. However, his comments about another poster's server being smashed because he must be a hacker or some such nonsense makes his claims suspect.

The analogy is bad. No one would buy a 2018 F-250 with a previous generation engine in it. Also, both the 6.4L and 6.0L engines were replaced by the 6.7L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel in 2011. There have been some updates to it, but it's essentially the same engine through at least 2019. That's not what you are offering. You are offering an old case (still useful) with internal hardware that is not useful. You expect to get 90% of what you paid for it five years ago. Five years ago, you overpaid for this stuff in the first place. It was already 4 year old hardware at that time. It doesn't make sense.

Nope. He's 100% right. The current i3's operate at up to 4.4GHz and have 6 cores. You've got two more cores but due to the age of the platform and architectural improvements made over the last decade, a six core i3 is literally going to be faster than your dual Xeon's. They have nearly DOUBLE the clock speed of your Xeon E5 2609 v2's. (2.5GHz versus 4.4GHz). Architectural advancements have led to significant IPC gains over the last decade. Combine that with clock speed and platform improvements and your Xeon really will get trounced by a Core i3 12xx series CPU.
And I used 10th gen because it was easy to find. Two more generations after that for today!

And you could, carefully, piece together a sTRX4 or x299 workstation that would totally blow it out of the water for the same price. Especially buying used. 3960x is almost 60k on that benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back