Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a ten year old server because I just build the thing in 2018
1667449497453.png

If you built that in 2018 you made poor choices. 9 years old. We’re done here.
and upgraded it several times before 2022,
Poor life choices.
so what if the internal hardware is from 2013
Because that is ALL THAT MATTERS.
when Dan_D is willing to take an Intel 2011v1 system for $508
He isn’t buying that. None of us are. Almost no one is.
with just one hard drive that costs more once fully configured and you only showed me an Intel 2011v2 system for around $600 in a desktop computer case
Case doesn’t matter. Unless you want a rack mount. Sell the chassis and be done with it.
instead a proper rackmount chassis or pedestal with hotswap bays.
Hot swap bays are cheap. The chassis has some value. Sell it and be done with this.
Even your post on the first page was a Xeon Scalable fully configured for over $5000
So 1500 more and 25x as capable.
and I already showed that a 2U Dell would cost around $7000 or more
Lies
and it wasn't even fully configured, so it might as well cost $10000 or more because that's probably how much it would cost with Intel Xeon Scalables once fully configured with the price of SSD's instead of mechanical.
A “fully” configured server would blow your mind.
Yes they do cost $10000 or more once fully configured minimum
No
for a 2U because I showed it somewhat configured for around $7000
No
and it wasn't even fully configured, which after you add SDD's for Dell's insane price
No
it will probably cost you over $10000. All you're getting with that so called $1000 is a Pentium G6405T,
Faster than what you are selling
one 1 TB harddrive and the motherboard starting at $1019, which once fully configured probably costs more than what I'm selling and it's not even 2U.
You think rack units matter? Are you even remotely educated here?
The $508 server you showed me wasn't even fully configured either
You don’t know what that means
and only had one hard drive at $508
No one cares about drives.
, which after it's fully configured with six 2TB SDD's if 2TB SSD's are even an option considering it only hold's six 2.5 inch drives
2.5” drives go to 30TB+ now. Seriously. You’re out of date.
and not eight 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch plus I'm including eight 2TB HDD's it would probably cost more that what I'm selling.
No.

Look. The fundamental issue here is this. Hardware value is determined by age since release. Not how long it’s been energized.

You have 10 year old hardware. Value = 0.

Honestly, this thread has run it's course and a [H] mod should probably step in and shut it down. OP is either a troll or a scammer. Either way, I think I'm out at this point.

I worked in this industry. A cable is a cable. We’re talking sas cables. Shit cheap.
I actually had a cable manufacturer tell us what cables cost back when I worked retail at Comp USA. They flat out told us it only cost a few cents a cable to make regardless of the cable type. Our store discount was actually better on cables than anything else. We never paid more than $4 or $5 for cables. At that price, the manufacturer still made money on them.

I actually had a cable manufacturer tell us what cables cost back when I worked retail at Comp USA. They flat out told us it only cost a few cents a cable to make regardless of the cable type. Our store discount was actually better on cables than anything else. We never paid more than $4 or $5 for cables. At that price, the manufacturer still made money on them.
I had a vendor relationship (as Dell) with FS.com. I REALLY know what they cost. And the markup. And the reverse engineering on SFP modules for brand encoding.

I’ve literally bought $300 cables (100G-> 4x 25G, QSFP to SFP28, 2M). A sas cable is one of the cheapest things out there. Even cheaper than mid-length Cat6E. I have optics that cost more than the server in question here.

I have optics that cost more than the server in question here.
I certainly have optics worth more than this server. My most expensive optic setup is probably only about $1,300 or so. That said, any of my rifles equipped for night vision also have more than $1,000 worth of IR laser / IR illuminators etc. that drive their value up quite a lot. That's before even getting into the cost of the night vision setup. A high end PVS-14 can cost more than what the OP is even asking for the server to say nothing of everything else you need to make it work on your head.

I certainly have optics worth more than this server. My most expensive optic setup is probably only about $1,300 or so. That said, any of my rifles equipped for night vision also have more than $1,000 worth of IR laser / IR illuminators etc. that drive their value up quite a lot. That's before even getting into the cost of the night vision setup. A high end PVS-14 can cost more than what the OP is even asking for the server to say nothing of everything else you need to make it work on your head.
I meant server optics but that’s also a supremely valid comparison 😂. Got three 40G cisco BiDi optics here that normally go for about 8k a pop.

Your side wise I need to get back into it. Last time they blew up my garage they trashed my glass on my long range toys. Getting dragged 50’ into a jeep at 50mph will do that after all.

I meant server optics but that’s also a supremely valid comparison 😂. Got three 40G cisco BiDi optics here that normally go for about 8k a pop.

Your side wise I need to get back into it. Last time they blew up my garage they trashed my glass on my long range toys. Getting dragged 50’ into a jeep at 50mph will do that after all.

I forgot about that.

View attachment 523819
If you built that in 2018 you made poor choices. 9 years old. We’re done here.
It's not 9 years old either because I've only had it for 5 years.

Poor life choices.

Because that is ALL THAT MATTERS.

He isn’t buying that. None of us are. Almost no one is.

Case doesn’t matter. Unless you want a rack mount. Sell the chassis and be done with it.

Hot swap bays are cheap. The chassis has some value. Sell it and be done with this.

You don't just add hotswap bays to a chassis because you need a backplane too.
So 1500 more and 25x as capable.

Lies
It's not a lie because I showed you right here: Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server

It cost $10,142.79 not fully configured with:

Trusted Platform Module 2.0

3.5" Chassis with up to 12 Hot Plug Hard Drives, PERC/HBA11

Intel Xeon Silver 4215 2.5G, 8C/16T, 9.6GT/s, 11M Cache, Turbo, HT (85W) DDR4-2400

3200MT/s RDIMMs

Multi Rank Sparing Memory Mode

8GB RDIMM, 3200MT/s, Single Rank x8

C1, No RAID for HDDs/SSDs (Mixed Drive Types Allowed)

PERC H350 Adapter LP (Because I can't opt out of it)

No Internal Optical Drive for 12 HD Chassis (Because the only other option is Dell No and the chassis is a 24 bay hotswap bay chassis)

2TB 7.2K RPM NLSAS 12Gbps 512n 3.5in Hot-Plug Hard Drive x8 (Just To show you how it compares to what I'm selling)

No Operating System (Because what I'm selling doesn't include an Operating System either)

No Media Required

iDRAC9 Basic

iDRAC Group Manager, Disabled

iDRAC,Factory Generated Password

None

On-Board Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1Gb LOM

None

None

None

Single,Hot-plug Power Supply,495W

NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power Cord, North America

PowerEdge 2U Standard Bezel

No Quick Sync

Performance BIOS Setting

ReadyRails™ Sliding Rails Without Cable Management Arm

No Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit

None

None

None

None

None

None

No Installation

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 10.55.40 AM.png

A “fully” configured server would blow your mind.

No

No

No

Faster than what you are selling

You think rack units matter? Are you even remotely educated here?

You don’t know what that means
Yes I do know what fully configured means. It mean once all the processors, memory, hard drives or SSD's and blah blah is added.
No one cares about drives.

2.5” drives go to 30TB+ now. Seriously. You’re out of date.
Okay Lopoetive show me a 30 TB SSD because the largest capacity SSD I'm seeing is 15.36 TB here: Newegg 8 TB and up NVMe and SAS SSD's

It's more like a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but you expect it to have the engine of an F-450 or a 2018 Super Duty just like your expecting it to be an Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc.
Its a 2013 F250 that you bought in 2018 and are trying to get what you paid for out of it. This doesnt work in Cars, computers and most definitely not servers. Model years on cars are when they came out to purchase, not when you buy them. Same thing with servers. Youve lost your ass on this deal by making extremely bad decisions and now your trying to pass that off to someone else but nobody is going to pay this for a sandy/ivy server. Hell in 2023 when the Sapphire Rapids servers come out guess what? Sandy/Ivy servers will be like the generation before then where the most you can get out of them is 100 bucks and they arent worth the power cost for anyone normal to run. When this happens all of the other gens will slide down in price as well making this priced competitively to dual Xeon Scalable servers and making your pricing even more insane and unsellable.
It sucks but this is the nature of the server market.

Your hardware is 9 years old. Period. It's ancient.
You don't just add hotswap bays to a chassis because you need a backplane too.
https://www.newegg.com/icy-dock-mb3...e-rack-cage-in-1-x-5-25-bay/p/N82E16817198068

Icydock is not the only company making them either.
It's not a lie because I showed you right here: Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server
So you picked one server that be 10k. Whoopdy do. Any server can be overconfigured.
It cost $10,142.79 not fully configured with:
1667491262792.png

1667491275628.png

There. Same cost, 20x more powerful. I even put 16G of RAM in it so they don't bitch.
Yes I do know what fully configured means. It mean once all the processors, memory, hard drives or SSD's and blah blah is added.
Then why are you doing it wrong?
Okay Lopoetive show me a 30 TB SSD because the largest capacity SSD I'm seeing is 15.36 TB here: Newegg 8 TB and up NVMe and SAS SSD's
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9siv153d033397

1667491363163.png

Used the 15.3 and 7.68T drives are getting common. 15.3 still carries a premium, but the 7.6 can sometimes be found for $300-400.

It's not a fucking car. It doesn't gain features or performance or software support just because you bought it years after it was originally released. If I purchased a "new" (or never used) Pentium ][ system, do you think Windows 11 would run on it? Or 7? No, because the platform is 25 years old. Your server may have been "made" 5 years ago (nope), but everything it relies on is 9 years old, and that's why it's garbage.
How about 100TB?

Funny how you posted a $10k server build and followed it with a screenshot of a cheaper and more powerful build after that.

I'm also still waiting for your brief answer on why this is the server I should buy at that price and not any other.

It's not a fucking car. It doesn't gain features or performance or software support just because you bought it years after it was originally released. If I purchased a "new" (or never used) Pentium ][ system, do you think Windows 11 would run on it? Or 7? No, because the platform is 25 years old. Your server may have been "made" 5 years ago (nope), but everything it relies on is 9 years old, and that's why it's garbage.

How about 100TB?

Funny how you posted a $10k server build and followed it with a screenshot of a cheaper and more powerful build after that.
My mistake because I must have taken the screenshot to soon, so here you go:

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 12.41.29 PM.png

I'm also still waiting for your brief answer on why this is the server I should buy at that price and not any other.
You should buy this server because it includes two chassis with dual redundant 700 PSU's in each chassis for $542.78 each, two Supermicro X9DAI motherboards for $457.99 each, and an ARECA ARC-1264IL-12 SATA/SAS RAID card for $595.95 plus the two Intel 2011v2 E5-2609v2's for $77.14, 8 sticks of Back Diamond DDR3 ECC for a total of 64 GB for $69.00 for two sticks of 8 GB each, two Supermicro 2U heatpipe heatsinks for $55.39 each, a front bezel for $38.99, eight 2TB Seagate SAS HDD's for $29.99 each, one Panasonic BDXL Burner for $89.89 and one PNY Quadro K620 for $159.99 each with boxes as well as instuctions. Plus you can purchase all this for up 10 percent off the buy it now with or best offer for $3294.56 or 25 percent off the buy it now with or best offer for $2745.42. If message me so I can change the price I can lower price if don't want the extra chassis and motherboard to $2394.58 at 10 percent off with the or best offer or 25 percent off at $1995.48 because the old price without the extra chassis and motherboard should have been $2242.98 at 25 percent off with the or best offer, so I must have made a mistake when I did the math or when I rounded to the nearest cent if I didn't wait to round until the end.

But it's not worth that. I can get the Dell server I linked, with support and a warranty, for the same price, give-or-take (if I called them they'd drop it to the same price). It's much faster, brand new, and much BETTER too.

You should buy this server because it includes two chassis with dual redundant 700 PSU's in each chassis for $542.78 each, two Supermicro X9DAI motherboards for $457.99 each, and an ARECA ARC-1264IL-12 SATA/SAS RAID card for $595.95 plus the two Intel 2011v2 E5-2609v2's for $77.14, 8 sticks of Back Diamond DDR3 ECC for a total of 64 GB for $69.00 for two sticks of 8 GB each, two Supermicro 2U heatpipe heatsinks for $55.39 each, a front bezel for $38.99, eight 2TB Seagate SAS HDD's for $29.99 each, one Panasonic BDXL Burner for $89.89 and one PNY Quadro K620 for $159.99 each with boxes as well as instuctions. Plus you can purchase all this for up 10 percent off the buy it now with or best offer for $3294.56 or 25 percent off the buy it now with or best offer for $2745.42. If message me so I can change the price I can lower price if don't want the extra chassis and motherboard to $2394.58 at 10 percent off with the or best offer or 25 percent off at $1995.48 because the old price without the extra chassis and motherboard should have been $2242.98 at 25 percent off with the or best offer, so I must have made a mistake when I did the math or when I rounded to the nearest cent if I didn't wait to round until the end.
That's not what I asked you. This is just your price justification and standard wall of text I was tired of reading 4 years ago. I asked you to take 2 sentences and tell me why I should pay your price for your server and not buy something with a newer release date or something cheaper. I also asked what you view the use case for your server is, that is, why would someone need what you're selling and not what, say, lopoetve quoted from Dell for the same price?

Let me give you the elevator pitch set up: I'm in the market for new storage server guts to support 50TB (and growing) of storage as my i3 2120T/Z77/2xLSI 9240-8i is wearing out. How could your server improve my experience?

No it is not like I'm selling a 1999 F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel to someone that needs 34,000lbs. of towing capacity and it's not up to the job of an F-450. It's more like a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but you expect it to have the engine of an F-450 or a 2018 Super Duty just like your expecting it to be an Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc.

Just stop. You obviously know nothing about trucks either. Your analogy is flawed. If you were actually selling a 2018 F-250 I'd damn sure expect the engine it's supposed to come with.

You are selling a 1977 truck body with the engine of a riding lawn mower. Sure, it can move the truck but it's not fast enough to tow anything or get on the highway. The worst part is, you aren't selling it for what the body is worth. You are selling it for almost what it cost brand new back in 1977 and acting like we should be grateful.

That's not what I asked you. This is just your price justification and standard wall of text I was tired of reading 4 years ago. I asked you to take 2 sentences and tell me why I should pay your price for your server and not buy something with a newer release date or something cheaper. I also asked what you view the use case for your server is, that is, why would someone need what you're selling and not what, say, lopoetve quoted from Dell for the same price?

Let me give you the elevator pitch set up: I'm in the market for new storage server guts to support 50TB (and growing) of storage as my i3 2120T/Z77/2xLSI 9240-8i is wearing out. How could your server improve my experience?
I don't know how it could improve your experience because I hardly used the thing and I haven't been able to use Windows 10 much because my Dell Precision T1700's aren't working right now or Windows Server 2016 for the same reason along with the fact that I need a new server that only draws 350 watts from either my UPS or the Wall to keep it under load. I can't even afford Windows 11 or Windows Server 2019 or Windows Server 2022 because I'm paying $3000 that's 90 percent of my income to live in a group home and the rest of my disability income for my stuff in storage, which is $300 that makes $3300 a month in disability income and the only good thing is that the amount that I get for disability income goes up every year if the cost of living goes up. Therefore, I can't practice using anything Microsoft Windows related because the only computers I have that still work or work are my Apple Mac Pro 2012 with Mac OS X High Sierra upgradable to the latest Mac OS X when I can finally afford one of that graphics cards that support these and a Lenovo with with an AMD Ryzen process with Windows 10 on it.

Like I said before the only reason Ubuntu Server is shown on it was to show how much memory it previously had in it, which was 32 GB of Black Diamond ECC DDR3 and now it has 64 GB of Black Diamond ECC DDR3 instead, which Ubuntu Server is no longer on the server and Windows Server 2016 was on the old SSHD's. Therefore, no Operating System is included now because Windows Server 2016 was a student copy anyway.

I don't know how it could improve your experience because I hardly used the thing and I haven't been able to use Windows 10 much because my Dell Precision T1700's aren't working right now or Windows Server 2016
Both of which are either end of support (2016) or approaching it (windows 10). Neither is up to date, neither is current, and for that matter, even server 2019 has an upcoming end-of-life.
for the same reason along with the fact that I need a new server that only draws 350 watts from either my UPS or the Wall to keep it under load. I can't even afford Windows 11 or Windows Server 2019 or Windows Server 2022 because I'm paying $3000 that's 90 percent of my income to live in a group home
That's sad, but not exactly our problem. Sell the server for what it's worth or what you can get for it, and run.
and the rest of my disability income for my stuff in storage, which is $300 that makes $3300 a month in disability income and the only good thing is that the amount that I get for disability income goes up every year if the cost of living goes up. Therefore, I can't practice using anything Microsoft Windows related because the only computers I have that still work or work are my Apple Mac Pro 2012 with Mac OS X High Sierra upgradable to the latest Mac OS X when I can finally afford one of that graphics cards that support these and a Lenovo with with an AMD Ryzen process with Windows 10 on it.

Like I said before the only reason Ubuntu Server is shown on it was to show how much memory it previously had in it, which was 32 GB of Black Diamond ECC DDR3 and now it has 64 GB of Black Diamond ECC DDR3 instead, which Ubuntu Server is no longer on the server and Windows Server 2016 was on the old SSHD's. Therefore, no Operating System is included now because Windows Server 2016 was a student copy anyway.
Bare metal linux isn't highly useful except as a workstation, and this is a very poor workstation. Especially since you can't really even utilize QEMU/KVM on it with all the hardware security mitigations.

You're still not getting the point - this is too old. Used, barely used, new in box - it's too old. It's not worth anything.

Why would I spend $3000 on your server when I can buy the one I linked from dell that is brand new and MUCH faster for the same price?

I don't know how it could improve your experience because I hardly used the thing and I haven't been able to use Windows 10 much because my Dell Precision T1700's aren't working right now or Windows Server 2016 for the same reason along with the fact that I need a new server that only draws 350 watts from either my UPS or the Wall to keep it under load. I can't even afford Windows 11 or Windows Server 2019 or Windows Server 2022 because I'm paying $3000 that's 90 percent of my income to live in a group home and the rest of my disability income for my stuff in storage, which is $300 that makes $3300 a month in disability income and the only good thing is that the amount that I get for disability income goes up every year if the cost of living goes up. Therefore, I can't practice using anything Microsoft Windows related because the only computers I have that still work or work are my Apple Mac Pro 2012 with Mac OS X High Sierra upgradable to the latest Mac OS X when I can finally afford one of that graphics cards that support these and a Lenovo with with an AMD Ryzen process with Windows 10 on it.

fark_9HI7tsrMWSsHtZzTeAOoPmlaeMw.gif

The fact you can't even answer the basic question explains so much about your stubbornness.

You have a working computer. Watch YouTube videos for free and learn something. Seriously, it will help you understand what you have and how it works. I'm now surprised you were even able to assemble it.

I don't know how it could improve your experience because I hardly used the thing and I haven't been able to use Windows 10 much because my Dell Precision T1700's aren't working right now or Windows Server 2016 for the same reason along with the fact that I need a new server that only draws 350 watts from either my UPS or the Wall to keep it under load.
Oh that's right. You think dual 700 watt power supplies equals 1400 watts of power draw. (It doesn't.)
I can't even afford Windows 11 or Windows Server 2019 or Windows Server 2022 because I'm paying $3000 that's 90 percent of my income to live in a group home and the rest of my disability income for my stuff in storage, which is $300 that makes $3300 a month in disability income and the only good thing is that the amount that I get for disability income goes up every year if the cost of living goes up. Therefore, I can't practice using anything Microsoft Windows related because the only computers I have that still work or work are my Apple Mac Pro 2012 with Mac OS X High Sierra upgradable to the latest Mac OS X when I can finally afford one of that graphics cards that support these and a Lenovo with with an AMD Ryzen process with Windows 10 on it.
It sounds like you keep buying a bunch of computer shit you don't need. As I recall from earlier posts, you have all these ideas of what you want to do and are totally unfocused. The things you want to do take way too much time and discipline to master all at once. You struggle with basic concepts such as your server only being worth what the case is used and will never achieve anything without focusing on one thing at a time.
Again, you are unfocused. This is why you go off on random tangents that have no bearing on the subject at hand.

I'm now surprised you were even able to assemble it.

First the thing pulled 1400watts, now he needs something that only pulls 350. Meanwhile it should require about 200 watts , tops,at idle. My NAS with many more hard drives is at 180.

OP, serious question, do you have a TBI? Just a yes or no will suffice.

Really we are all trying to help and to understand, but being obsessed with your view of this objects value is only damaging you, not us. Your insistence to avoid the obvious is frightening.

Your hardware is 9 years old. Period. It's ancient.
You don't even know ancient until you've seen the dual Pentium Pro IR440FX motherboard with 512 MB of EDO memory, the dual Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 1 MB of L2 Cache, and the Dual Pentium II Overdrives at 333 MHz with 512 KB of L2 cache at full speed that I had to go alone with it, so I don't want to see you complaining.

Good those are not internal hotswap bays either, so : |).
So you picked one server that be 10k. Whoopdy do. Any server can be overconfigured.
It wasn't over configured. It was configured to have what my server has and it would have cost more if I would have included SSD's instead of eight 2 TB SAS hard drives. It still costs more below.
View attachment 523872

View attachment 523873

There. Same cost, 20x more powerful. I even put 16G of RAM in it so they don't bitch.
16 GB of RAM when mine has 64 GB.

Then why are you doing it wrong?
Ok lopoetive what am I doing wrong?
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9siv153d033397

View attachment 523874

Used the 15.3 and 7.68T drives are getting common. 15.3 still carries a premium, but the 7.6 can sometimes be found for $300-400.
Yeah that's one part and it costs $8750.00, which is way more than the cost of everything I'm selling. It would cost you $70,000 because $8750 times 8 is $70,000 just to have eight of those for an 8 hotswap bay 2U chassis like what I'm selling. You could have 24 Seagate Exos 16 TB SATA hard drives here for $8750 because $8750 divided by $359.99 is 24.31 here: Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM001G 16TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard ...
It's sometimes called Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks too not Redundant Array of Expensive Disks and yes I'm aware that it actually stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks as well as that speed is king now.

You don't even know ancient until you've seen the dual Pentium Pro IR440FX motherboard with 512 MB of EDO memory, the dual Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 1 MB of L2 Cache, and the Dual Pentium II Overdrives at 333 MHz with 512 KB of L2 cache at full speed that I had to go alone with it, so I don't want to see you complaining.
I had a 286. Don’t even go there. Your hardware is 9 years old. It has no value.
Who cares? Hot swap bays are easy to add. Even not having them - powering off a box to swap a drive isn’t that much of a pain.
It wasn't over configured. It was configured to have what my server has and it would have cost more if I would have included SSD's instead of eight 2 TB SAS hard drives. It still costs more below.
You didn’t get 6k out of drives and memory unless you’re really doing it wrong.
Oh yay. 16G DIMM ECC DDR4 are about $40 on eBay.
Almost everything. You don’t understand deprecation or valuation. You don’t know what you’re doing with the hardware you have. You’re wasting money instead of actually asking for help.
Yeah that's one part and it costs $8750.00, which is way more than the cost of everything I'm selling.
You said they didn’t exist. I showed that they exist. That’s all.
It would cost you $70,000 because $8750 times 8 is $70,000 just to have eight of those for an 8 hotswap bay 2U chassis like what I'm selling.
Why would I need to fill all the drive bays? And I wouldn’t buy them new. I’m not a corporation. Buy used bud.
You could have 24 Seagate Exos 16 TB SATA hard drives here for $8750 because $8750 divided by $359.99 is 24.31 here: Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM001G 16TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard ...
And it would perform like shit. Unusable performance - except for an S3 archive or the like.
It's sometimes called Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks too not Redundant Array of Expensive Disks and yes I'm aware that it actually stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks as well as that speed is king now.
Defining the term doesn’t change anything.

Once again, why would I buy your server over the dell I specced? Even bumping it to 64G of RAM would still likely be under $4200, and it’s a much better bit of hardware than 9 years old well past end-of-life kit.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this

Yeah that's one part and it costs $8750.00, which is way more than the cost of everything I'm selling. It would cost you $70,000 because $8750 times 8 is $70,000 just to have eight of those for an 8 hotswap bay 2U chassis like what I'm selling. You could have 24 Seagate Exos 16 TB SATA hard drives here for $8750 because $8750 divided by $359.99 is 24.31 here: Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM001G 16TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard ...

Who's gonna spend 359 at a Newegg 3rd party seller for a Seagate Exos spinning rust drive that is 179 at the Amazon Renewed store from a 3rd party right now besides you?

like this
Go back to page 1. We all gave you our history and I even showed off some of my old equipment.

Summary: We're all old. Get off our damn lawns!

You don't even know ancient until you've seen the dual Pentium Pro IR440FX motherboard with 512 MB of EDO memory, the dual Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 1 MB of L2 Cache,
I actually own an Intel PR440FX motherboard with dual Pentium Pros on it. I ran that setup when it was new. I've been in the computing industry since that stuff was new. What's your point? You mentioned older hardware so your old hardware can't possibly be old and out of date? It was out of date when you built the thing 5 years ago. I seem to recall a thread you made where we told you not to buy those parts and build it that way at the time and you ignored us.
So? It's not difficult to add them or buy an ancient server that's still faster than yours with them equipped. The DL380 Gen 8 I linked has hot swap bays.
You still don't get it. You think you are doing like for like, but you aren't. Any basic server with 8 cores and SMT beats what you have by a long shot. That's what you aren't understanding. What you have is slower than that $500 server I linked that had 20 cores at higher clocks than your dual quad core dinosaur. You don't need to max out every drive bay, RAM slot or anything like that to configure a server.
RAM is cheap. No one cares.
Again, you don't need to fill out every drive bay in a server.

Last edited:
X9 series?
dang, we are e-Wasting X10 series here, X11 is our current platform now

Just stop. You obviously know nothing about trucks either. Your analogy is flawed. If you were actually selling a 2018 F-250 I'd damn sure expect the engine it's supposed to come with.

You are selling a 1977 truck body with the engine of a riding lawn mower. Sure, it can move the truck but it's not fast enough to tow anything or get on the highway. The worst part is, you aren't selling it for what the body is worth. You are selling it for almost what it cost brand new back in 1977 and acting like we should be grateful.
No it's like I'm selling a 1977 truck body with the engine of a riding lawn mower. It is more like I'm selling a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the same engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but it only has the older 6.0 Liter Dual Over Head Cam Powerstroke diesel V8 engine instead of the newer 6.4 Liter Dual Over Head Cam Powerstroke diesel V8 engine. The 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel V8 engine is an Overhead Valve Engine anyway and it would like me trying to sell you four Socket 603 or 604 Xeon's instead of two Intel Xeon 2011v2 2609v2 quad core. Therefore, it lacks more horsepower and more torque that you want or need. The server I'm selling has two quad core Xeon's not two Celeron's.

Last edited:
No it's like I'm selling a 1977 truck body with the engine of a riding lawn mower. It is more like I'm selling a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the same engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but it only has the older 6.0 Liter Dual Over Head Cam Powerstroke diesel engine instead of the newer 6.4 Liter Dual Over Head Cam Powerstroke diesel engine. Therefore, it lacks more horsepower and more torque that you want or need. The server I'm selling has two quad core Xeon's not two Celeron's.
Two 9 year old quad cores that have less computing power than a current I3. They’re 9 years old - they’re useless.

like this
No I don't agree.
Then you’re wrong. It’s that simple. The last 10 years have seen a massive proliferation of cores, bus speeds, and specialized accelerators built into the CPUs to handle enterprise workloads - and all of that has trickled down to the consumer space. AES acceleration. Network encapsulation offload to the CPU. SCSI command segmentation offload (for iSCSI and similar for NVMeOF). Resizable BAR. Etc…. All in hardware now.

This means that 9 year old processors are ancient. They literally do not have the hardware to run modern workloads sanely. Hypervisors are dropping support for Haswell and Broadwell in this release (it’ll still run with a bypass). Yours are older than that - they literally don’t have the silicon to do so. A modern I3 however, never mind an i5 or HEDT cpu, does. All of that matters - especially for a server that has to do all of that to be secure and fast. And that’s before we touch the hardware security mitigations from things like Spectre.

They’re too old. There’s a rapidly moving window of support that you’re outside of. That means they don’t have value - I can’t run on them what I would run elsewhere or at work. Which makes them useless. Being useless means they don’t have value.

like this
No it's like I'm selling a 1977 truck body with the engine of a riding lawn mower. It is more like I'm selling a 2018 F-250 Super Duty with the same engine from a 2013 F-250 Super Duty, but it only has the older 6.0 Liter Dual Over Head Cam Powerstroke diesel V8 engine instead of the newer 6.4 Liter Dual Over Head Cam Powerstroke diesel V8 engine. The 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel V8 engine is an Overhead Valve Engine anyway and it would like me trying to sell you four Socket 603 or 604 Xeon's instead of two Intel Xeon 2011v2 2609v2 quad core. Therefore, it lacks more horsepower and more torque that you want or need. The server I'm selling has two quad core Xeon's not two Celeron's.
The analogy is bad. No one would buy a 2018 F-250 with a previous generation engine in it. Also, both the 6.4L and 6.0L engines were replaced by the 6.7L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel in 2011. There have been some updates to it, but it's essentially the same engine through at least 2019. That's not what you are offering. You are offering an old case (still useful) with internal hardware that is not useful. You expect to get 90% of what you paid for it five years ago. Five years ago, you overpaid for this stuff in the first place. It was already 4 year old hardware at that time. It doesn't make sense.
Yeah right.
Nope. He's 100% right. The current i3's operate at up to 4.4GHz and have 6 cores. You've got two more cores but due to the age of the platform and architectural improvements made over the last decade, a six core i3 is literally going to be faster than your dual Xeon's. They have nearly DOUBLE the clock speed of your Xeon E5 2609 v2's. (2.5GHz versus 4.4GHz). Architectural advancements have led to significant IPC gains over the last decade. Combine that with clock speed and platform improvements and your Xeon really will get trounced by a Core i3 12xx series CPU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back