Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gas prices are going up! I will take and dispose of your garbage for a fee of $300. You must ship by tomorrow morning or this offer is void as the county dump is 30 miles from me and it's not getting any cheaper to drive. :p

Okay whatever Priller and how much would you like to pay for my server with all it's parts, the extra chassis with dual 700 watt power supplies plus hot swap bays, and the extra motherboard plus all the boxes for everything included?
The irony is the hot swap chassis and power supplies are probably the only things worth any real money. If you were local to me I'd probably give you a few bucks for them. Those super micro cases make great foundations for a NAS.

You misunderstood me. You pay me $200 and cover shipping, I recycle the junk for you ;).
Then the answer is definitely no because I'm not going to pay you to get rid or recycle this hardware for me when the only problem everyone has with it in this thread is that the motherboard, the processors, and the heatsinks with fans are or are for the Intel 2011v2 processor.

Then the answer is definitely no because I'm not going to pay you to get rid or recycle this hardware for me when the only problem everyone has with it in this thread is that the motherboard, the processors, and the heatsinks with fans are or are for the Intel 2011v2 processor.
Gas prices are going up! I will take and dispose of your garbage for a fee of $300. You must ship by tomorrow morning or this offer is void as the county dump is 30 miles from me and it's not getting any cheaper to drive. :p
The terms of the deal have changed. Maybe you can call junkluggers if you don't want to pay me. I guarantee it'll cost just as much or more!

I stumbled across my budget sheet for a ground up IVY that I did in March 2021. OP maybe think, at that point I was a possible customer, most of the below came from ebay.

Can't wait for you to tell me how yours is $2400 better. I sold a whole damn car in April of 2021 for that, a 2008 base Civic with no AC and 175,000 miles but it ran.

TypePart (link)Cost
CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro 102$100
MotherboardX9DRi-LN4F+$120
CPUDual E5-2630 V2 incl w/ MB$0
RAM4 x Samsung PC3-8500R 8GB$66
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212 Black 525$32.00
PSUEVGA 600 White B$45
Storage (SAS/SATA)LSI 9207-8i SAS2$50
SAS CABLESSFF-8087 to SFF-8042 cable$15
SATA Cable6 Pack SATA cable 1.0k$8.00
FansBe quiet! Silent Wings x2$25
Thermal PasteGelid GC Extreme 29$10
SSDSK Hynix 500GB57
PSU Splitter8Pin EPS Splitter16
SATA Power2 pk SATA power Splitter13
Hard Drives4x ST3000NM0023 SEAGATE 3TB SAS106
Flash DriveSanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 32GB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-A11)8
$671
This build is a piece of junk because it doesn't include 700 redundant power supplies, hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, It only has 32 GB of non-ECC memory instead of 64 GB of ECC memory, a 500 GB SSD Is pothetic in terms of storage capacity, and at $120 for the motherboard you're most likely buying used junk. By the way I can't wait for the police to break in your door and smash this piece of crap build and don't try to say you can't wait for them to do that to me because I was in Security and Law Enforcement in the military. I don't care if sold an entire car for as much as what I asking for my server with an extra chassis and extra motherboard either because it just show how much of a piece of crap your civic was considering good server hardware can be worth around $10,000 or more too.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This build is a piece of junk because it doesn't include 700 redundant power supplies, hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, It only has 32 GB of non-ECC memory instead of 64 GB of ECC memory, a 500 GB SSD Is pothetic in terms of storage capacity, and at $120 for the motherboard you're most likely buying used junk. By the way I can't wait for the police to break in your door and smash this piece of crap build and don't try to say you can't wait for them to do that to me because I was in Security and Law Enforcement in the military.
Settle down. No one knows what you're talking about.

I'll just leave this here because this now two year old thread is seriously value added entertainment and I can't look away :ROFLMAO::

View attachment 522839

:D

Also a quick note for OP, I just picked up a new in box Quadro K620 2GB for $35 shipped to my door.......and I probably paid too much for it!
No you didn't because a brand new Quadro P400 with only 2GB of video memory goes for $137 new on newegg here and I have a Quadro K620 with 2GB of video memory: PNY Quadro P400 VCQP400V2-PB 2GB 64-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card. Also a Quadro

PNY T1000 VCNT10008GB-PB 8GB 128-bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Workstation Video Card goes for $442.44 here:​

This build is a piece of junk because it doesn't include 700 redundant power supplies, hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, It only has 32 GB of non-ECC memory instead of 64 GB of ECC memory, a 500 GB SSD Is pothetic in terms of storage capacity, and at $120 for the motherboard you're most likely buying used junk. By the way I can't wait for the police to break in your door and smash this piece of crap build and don't try to say you can't wait for them to do that to me because I was in Security and Law Enforcement in the military. I don't care if sold an entire car for as much as what I asking for my server with an extra chassis and extra motherboard either because it just show how much of a piece of crap your civic was considering good server hardware can be worth around $10,000 or more too.

Roflmao, called it. You were never taught when to cut bait and run were you. OK now let's see:

IT was a piece of crap Civic. But it sold.

Exactly why would the police break down my door and smash my server. Inquiring minds and all.

Last edited:
No I'm not still charging to much for the motherboards because mine aren't used and those probably are plus those aren't even the same X9DAI-O motherboard as I pointed out, but you can't read.
Used doesn't matter on a server motherboard. No one in the home market is buying gray market boards at full price. Why bother? It's not like a car that only has so many miles - there's a "time from release" lifespan where it has value, and then it no longer is worth anything.
The irony is the hot swap chassis and power supplies are probably the only things worth any real money. If you were local to me I'd probably give you a few bucks for them. Those super micro cases make great foundations for a NAS.
Yup. I've got two of them sitting around here. Branded by the OEM that built them into appliances.
This build is a piece of junk because it doesn't include 700 redundant power supplies,
It's a HOME system? Who cares?
hotswap bays for SATA or SAS,
If you really want a bay, you can ~buy~ them on Amazon - they're pretty cheap. I use the 8x2.5" -> 1x 5.25 for SSDs, or the 4x 2.5" -> 5.25" for normal drives. Since I'm moving to almost all flash these days, I'll generally take the 8x and feed it to a decent SAS controller.
It only has 32 GB of non-ECC memory instead of 64 GB of ECC memory
So $20. Who cares? That's an insignificant amount of RAM anyway.
, a 500 GB SSD Is pothetic in terms of storage capacity
But it's usable. And it's a boot drive - who cares?
, and at $120 for the motherboard you're most likely buying used junk.
Of course he is. They're ALL used junk. Even brand new in box it's junk - it's ANCIENT.

This is the part you're struggling with - it's OLD. It doesn't matter if it's new, used, recycled, or what - it doesn't have any value because it's TOO OLD. Those processors can't do ANYTHING anymore. They're simply too old to be useful except in a NAS, and NAS are designed to be CHEAP for home use. Even then, I'd hesitate to use them for a NAS (I won't for a TORBox, which is a NAS/Router/DC all-in-one) because they're too old and there are too many mitigations on them to make them cost effective.
By the way I can't wait for the police to break in your door and smash this piece of crap build and don't try to say you can't wait for them to do that to me because I was in Security and Law Enforcement in the military. I don't care if sold an entire car for as much as what I asking for my server with an extra chassis and extra motherboard either because it just show how much of a piece of crap your civic was considering good server hardware can be worth around $10,000 or more too.
Good server hardware can be. Yours isn't good server hardware - it's OLD server hardware.

No I'm not still charging to much for the motherboards because mine aren't used and those probably are plus those aren't even the same X9DAI-O motherboard as I pointed out, but you can't read.
You also don't understand how Supermicro works - the X9DAI-O is the same damned thing as the X9DAI, just an OEM installed board into their chassis.

1667185965255.png

Supermicro doesn't even call it out as a separate model.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/archive/?mlg=0

I like that his board is in their ARCHIVED area hahahahaha
Everything pre scalable is now. It actually helps. Their site was getting cluttered as hell. Sad part is they disabled Google indexing of the archive. Makes life annoying.

You may as well be, for the sense your asking price makes.
It's simple a brand new 4 cylinder car with about a 1.7 Liter or 2.0 Liter engine goes for around $30,000, so a honda civic for around $3661.41 the price I'm asking for my server is junk. Who cares if it runs because the question is for how much longer will it run for. My server is not used and is like a 2018 car with the same engine and parts as a 2013 model, but has been sitting on the lot or in the show room because it won't sell and you people are like buyers expecting a car like a european car that 4 cylinder to have a V8. However, since the car doesn't have a V8 instead of 4 cylinder you won't buy it. My server at $3661.41 is a good deal considering it would cost you around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel 2011v2 system from Dell previously and now it costs around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel Xeon Scalable system from Dell.

All of you have yet to show me a better price on an Intel 2011v2 system with the same redundant 700 watt power supplies, 8 hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, a blue-ray drive, a RAID Card, and a chassis that is at least 2U instead of 1U as well as everything else I'm offering because you don't use RAID, you don't use optical, and you insist on having NVMe when the Intel Xeon Scalable motherboard from Supermicro the X11DAI still supports SATA and SAS. Heck the newest Comptia Server+ exam the SKO-004 still covers SATA and SAS, but it says that SSD and NVMe are replacing these. you don't even need the cloud or virtualization because all it does is tie a user account down to virtual machine so that it does less damage to the system if it becomes compromised when you could still do the same thing with just user accounts. Who cares about cloud storage too because it costs about $10.63 from google for google drive or $9.99 from Apple for Apple icloud for 2 TB of cloud storage and it's difficult to recover files from after a computer goes down because of corruption. Cloud is more difficult for them to back up too because I've lost entire saved games due to the cloud being a virtual machine like Batman Arkam Asylum, Batman Arkam City, and Just Cause 2.

No I'm not pay you $300 or any amount to dispose of my server and extra motherboard and extra chassis.

It's simple a brand new 4 cylinder car with about a 1.7 Liter or 2.0 Liter engine goes for around $30,000, so a honda civic for around $3661.41 the price I'm asking for my server is junk. Who cares if it runs because the question is for how much longer will it run for. My server is not used and is like a 2018 car with the same engine and parts as a 2013 model, but has been sitting on the lot or in the show room because it won't sell and you people are like buyers expecting a car like a european car that 4 cylinder to have a V8. However, since the car doesn't have a V8 instead of 4 cylinder you won't buy it. My server at $3661.41 is a good deal considering it would cost you around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel 2011v2 system from Dell previously and now it costs around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel Xeon Scalable system from Dell.

All of you have yet to show me a better price on an Intel 2011v2 system with the same redundant 700 watt power supplies, 8 hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, a blue-ray drive, a RAID Card, and a chassis that is at least 2U instead of 1U as well as everything else I'm offering because you don't use RAID, you don't use optical, and you insist on having NVMe when the Intel Xeon Scalable motherboard from Supermicro the X11DAI still supports SATA and SAS. Heck the newest Comptia Server+ exam the SKO-004 still covers SATA and SAS, but it says that SSD and NVMe are replacing these. you don't even need the cloud or virtualization because all it does is tie a user account down to virtual machine so that it does less damage to the system if it becomes compromised when you could still do the same thing with just user accounts. Who cares about cloud storage too because it costs about $10.63 from google for google drive or $9.99 from Apple for Apple icloud for 2 TB of cloud storage and it's difficult to recover files from after a computer goes down because of corruption. Cloud is more difficult for them to back up too because I've lost entire saved games due to the cloud being a virtual machine like Batman Arkam Asylum, Batman Arkam City, and Just Cause 2.
I'll let lopoetve put a nice vinaigrette on that word salad, but while you're waiting, I think you would benefit from a few basic YouTube seminars on cloud storage and economic depreciation of assets.

Since when are you an authorized SuperMicro, Dell or anything dealer and this thing is New In Box? If it was new in box direct from the Vendor then MAYBE you could say it isn't used. But you are almost certainly not a dealer or the company itself. So just like with a car, if I buy a brand new car and put it in my garage for 10 years and try to sell it, it is a USED car. The car isn't new, I'm not the manufacturer or licensed dealer. The car was sold, its now used.

What you keep failing to understand is that your perception of value does not meet ANYONE elses perception of value. Hence still owning this thing.

I'd buy this car long before your server, its a better value
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...axPrice=4000&zip=77598#listing=323119862/NONE

It's simple a brand new 4 cylinder car with about a 1.7 Liter or 2.0 Liter engine goes for around $30,000, so a honda civic for around $3661.41 the price I'm asking for my server is junk. Who cares if it runs because the question is for how much longer will it run for. My server is not used and is like a 2018 car with the same engine and parts as a 2013 model, but has been sitting on the lot or in the show room because it won't sell and you people are like buyers expecting a car like a european car that 4 cylinder to have a V8.'
Better metaphor - you're selling a horse. It's 2022. No one uses horses for transportation anymore except some oddball folk as a hobby, or ranchers - and you're not listing your horse to ranchers. A rancher might need a horse (your server from 2011), but almost everyone else wants a car - and is looking at flying cars and the elimination of roads.

Your hardware, used or not, is too old to be useful to almost anyone anymore.

However, since the car doesn't have a V8 instead of 4 cylinder you won't buy it. My server at $3661.41 is a good deal considering it would cost you around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel 2011v2 system from Dell previously and now it costs around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel Xeon Scalable system from Dell.
Except even if that were true, the Scalable system at $3600 is going to run RINGS around your server. Without even blinking. A Dell outlet server will run rings around it and have a warranty.

More importantly, for $3600 I can get systems that will blow yours out of the water without even blinking, because it's OLD. Too old to do anything useful.
All of you have yet to show me a better price on an Intel 2011v2 system with the same redundant 700 watt power supplies, 8 hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, a blue-ray drive, a RAID Card, and a chassis that is at least 2U instead of 1U
We've done this several times. No one builds V2 systems, but we've shown you more modern ones for less.
as well as everything else I'm offering because you don't use RAID, you don't use optical, and you insist on having NVMe when the Intel Xeon Scalable motherboard from Supermicro the X11DAI still supports SATA and SAS.
Because it's 2022. No one wants old tech that isn't valid anymore. Useful life of hardware is tied to the advancement of the industry and TIME, not usage. it's been a decade since this hardware came out - it's too old.
Heck the newest Comptia Server+ exam the SKO-004 still covers SATA and SAS, but it says that SSD and NVMe are replacing these.
Yup. I didn't even SELL systems with SAS anymore - and hadn't for the last couple of years.
you don't even need the cloud or virtualization because all it does is tie a user account down to virtual machine so that it does less damage to the system if it becomes compromised when you could still do the same thing with just user accounts.
... You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about here. 100% totally wrong in every single possible way. User accounts are not security, virtualization is not security focused, user accounts are not "tied" to a virtual machine any more than they're tied to a physical machine, and there are THOUSANDS of reasons to run VMs, LXC, containers, or cloud workloads. This is 2022. If you're running bare metal (and it isn't, at the extreme end, a low power router or a NAS) you're doing something seriously wrong these days (workstations and gaming boxes excepted, of course). Even if you're running a type-2 hypervisor, you're still running VMs.
Who cares about cloud storage too because it costs about $10.63 from google for google drive or $9.99 from Apple for Apple icloud for 2 TB of cloud storage
AWS Glacier costs less than a penny per GB. AWS S3 costs about a penny per GB. Azure Blobstore is about the same. No idea on google's object storage costs, but they're in-line with those.

To writ, as per (https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/?p=pm&c=s3&z=4 - 10/31/2022) -
1667232399684.png

and it's difficult to recover files from after a computer goes down because of corruption. Cloud is more difficult for them to back up too because I've lost entire saved games due to the cloud being a virtual machine like Batman Arkam Asylum, Batman Arkam City, and Just Cause 2.
... No? Bitching that Steam Cloud Saves are buggy and thus the cloud is buggy is not a valid analogy. Also facetious - billions of dollars a year go into those services for good reason. As for recovery - uh, no? Lots of backup software that works natively with those now. Heck, I now WORK for one of those companies.

Better metaphor - you're selling a horse. It's 2022. No one uses horses for transportation anymore except some oddball folk as a hobby, or ranchers - and you're not listing your horse to ranchers. A rancher might need a horse (your server from 2011), but almost everyone else wants a car - and is looking at flying cars and the elimination of roads.

Except even if that were true, the Scalable system at $3600 is going to run RINGS around your server. Without even blinking. A Dell outlet server will run rings around it and have a warranty.

More importantly, for $3600 I can get systems that will blow yours out of the water without even blinking, because it's OLD. Too old to do anything useful.

We've done this several times. No one builds V2 systems, but we've shown you more modern ones for less.

Because it's 2022. No one wants old tech that isn't valid anymore. Useful life of hardware is tied to the advancement of the industry and TIME, not usage. it's been a decade since this hardware came out - it's too old.

Yup. I didn't even SELL systems with SAS anymore - and hadn't for the last couple of years.

... You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about here. 100% totally wrong in every single possible way. User accounts are not security, virtualization is not security focused, user accounts are not "tied" to a virtual machine any more than they're tied to a physical machine, and there are THOUSANDS of reasons to run VMs, LXC, containers, or cloud workloads. This is 2022. If you're running bare metal (and it isn't, at the extreme end, a low power router or a NAS) you're doing something seriously wrong these days (workstations and gaming boxes excepted, of course). Even if you're running a type-2 hypervisor, you're still running VMs.

AWS Glacier costs less than a penny per GB. AWS S3 costs about a penny per GB. Azure Blobstore is about the same. No idea on google's object storage costs, but they're in-line with those.

To writ, as per (https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/?p=pm&c=s3&z=4 - 10/31/2022) -
View attachment 523018

... No? Bitching that Steam Cloud Saves are buggy and thus the cloud is buggy is not a valid analogy. Also facetious - billions of dollars a year go into those services for good reason. As for recovery - uh, no? Lots of backup software that works natively with those now. Heck, I now WORK for one of those companies.
Don't even waste your time man. Something something chess with a pigeon....

You also don't understand how Supermicro works - the X9DAI-O is the same damned thing as the X9DAI, just an OEM installed board into their chassis.

View attachment 522908

Supermicro doesn't even call it out as a separate model.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/archive/?mlg=0
It's not OEM because it didn't come with the chassis and it should mean something because I only got one SATA/SAS connector on the motherboard and there was a spot to solder in a second mini-SAS connector that I said was a SATA/SAS connector. Plus I've seen different versions of the X9DAI other than the X9DAI-O.

Last edited:

View attachment 523018
Those are terrible rates for cloud storage because for 50 TB that $1150 a month and I can get 30 TB or more from Google for $149.99 plus tax a month here:

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 1.18.10 PM.png

This build is a piece of junk because it doesn't include 700 redundant power supplies, hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, It only has 32 GB of non-ECC memory instead of 64 GB of ECC memory, a 500 GB SSD Is pothetic in terms of storage capacity, and at $120 for the motherboard you're most likely buying used junk.
None of those features make a damn bit of difference in a home environment. You have no SSD in your server and everyone who knows anything about computers on Earth knows you want to install your OS to the SSD and not some mechanical dinosaur. And your server is USED. It's not new in the box and even if it were, it doesn't matter given how old all the technology is.
By the way I can't wait for the police to break in your door and smash this piece of crap build and don't try to say you can't wait for them to do that to me because I was in Security and Law Enforcement in the military.
Why would the police break in his door and smash his computer? If you knew jack shit about law enforcement (which you obviously don't), you'd know that if they had some cause to break into his house any computer equipment would be confiscated as evidence. They'd clone all his drives and comb through the data to make sure that there was no incriminating evidence on them proving his guilt for whatever crime they came to arrest him for. Also, I have serious doubts about the last part of this statement. If this statement is true, what military failed to train you so badly?
I don't care if sold an entire car for as much as what I asking for my server with an extra chassis and extra motherboard either because it just show how much of a piece of crap your civic was considering good server hardware can be worth around $10,000 or more too.
Actually, even if a car isn't worth much its still worth something regardless of how old it is so long as it runs. Computer equipment isn't like that. At some point, that hardware is so old that its no longer fast enough to perform basic tasks. That's where your server is. Good hardware can be worth 10's of thousands of dollars and more. That's irrelevant because we are talking about what you are selling which is barely worth what it would cost to ship it anywhere in the US.
It's simple a brand new 4 cylinder car with about a 1.7 Liter or 2.0 Liter engine goes for around $30,000, so a honda civic for around $3661.41 the price I'm asking for my server is junk. Who cares if it runs because the question is for how much longer will it run for. My server is not used and is like a 2018 car with the same engine and parts as a 2013 model, but has been sitting on the lot or in the show room because it won't sell and you people are like buyers expecting a car like a european car that 4 cylinder to have a V8. However, since the car doesn't have a V8 instead of 4 cylinder you won't buy it.
A used Honda Civic for $3,661.41 that runs is infinitely more useful and more valuable than what you are selling.
My server at $3661.41 is a good deal considering it would cost you around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel 2011v2 system from Dell previously and now it costs around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel Xeon Scalable system from Dell.

All of you have yet to show me a better price on an Intel 2011v2 system with the same redundant 700 watt power supplies, 8 hotswap bays for SATA or SAS, a blue-ray drive, a RAID Card, and a chassis that is at least 2U instead of 1U as well as everything else I'm offering because you don't use RAID, you don't use optical, and you insist on having NVMe when the Intel Xeon Scalable motherboard from Supermicro the X11DAI still supports SATA and SAS.
We have shown you far better prices on better systems. You just refuse to recognize these facts and choose to focus on features that are not desirable or even in use by most people or businesses anymore. This is called cognitive dissonance. No one needs a Blu-Ray drive. RAID isn't generally used that much in home systems. It has its use in enterprise environments of specific sizes and use cases, but that doesn't have any bearing on what someone on this forum would need. Yes, we insist on NVMe storage because its what people use for a number of reasons. Even if you only used it for your OS, it makes a huge difference in how responsive the system is. Yes, SATA and SAS are supported for bulk storage when SAN is cost prohibitive, but these are legacy technologies.
Heck the newest Comptia Server+ exam the SKO-004 still covers SATA and SAS, but it says that SSD and NVMe are replacing these. you don't even need the cloud or virtualization because all it does is tie a user account down to virtual machine so that it does less damage to the system if it becomes compromised when you could still do the same thing with just user accounts. Who cares about cloud storage too because it costs about $10.63 from google for google drive or $9.99 from Apple for Apple icloud for 2 TB of cloud storage and it's difficult to recover files from after a computer goes down because of corruption. Cloud is more difficult for them to back up too because I've lost entire saved games due to the cloud being a virtual machine like Batman Arkam Asylum, Batman Arkam City, and Just Cause 2.
Well its clear you know even less about Cloud computing and storage than you do server hardware.
It's not OEM because it didn't come with the chassis and it should mean something because I only got one SATA/SAS connector on the motherboard. Plus I've seen different versions of the X9DAI other than the X9DAI-O.
It means nothing. You clearly didn't understand the implication of the original statement.

It's not OEM because it didn't come with the chassis and it should mean something because I only got one SATA/SAS connector on the motherboard and there was a spot to solder in a second mini-SAS connector that I said was a SATA/SAS connector. Plus I've seen different versions of the X9DAI other than the X9DAI-O.
It's the same board.
Those are terrible rates for cloud storage because for 50 TB that $1150 a month and I can get 30 TB or more from Google for $149.99 plus tax a month here:
You can't do math. 50 TB, for simplicities sake, is 50,000 GB - for glacier deep archive that's $49 a month. No one is storing stuff in top S3 tiers unless you have a need for actual high-speed (think local millisecond level access for an AWS app) access to it.

For Glacier instant access that's $200 a month, which doesn't even carry a significant retrieval penalty. You're thinking "google drive" is the cloud - it's a filesystem and app front end to a blob store. I'm talking the real cloud - which is significantly different and shows that again, this is not something you're educated on.

We have shown you far better prices on better systems. You just refuse to recognize these facts and choose to focus on features that are not desirable or even in use by most people or businesses anymore. This is called cognitive dissonance. No one needs a Blu-Ray drive. RAID isn't generally used that much in home systems. It has its use in enterprise environments of specific sizes and use cases, but that doesn't have any bearing on what someone on this forum would need. Yes, we insist on NVMe storage because its what people use for a number of reasons. Even if you only used it for your OS, it makes a huge difference in how responsive the system is. Yes, SATA and SAS are supported for bulk storage when SAN is cost prohibitive, but these are legacy technologies.
Heck, even building/buying a SAN/NAS is starting to be done with all SSD for home use now, if you need performance. Write cache limitations on things like ZFS (and the lack of truly reliable R/W caching filesystems for home use) makes that much more appealing, even if using TLC or QLC drives for the capacity tier. And backups aren't hard to do now, so you don't worry about reliability - especially with used enterprise drives coming down in price (and they're designed for full-writes-per-day for YEARS).
Well its clear you know even less about Cloud computing and storage than you do server hardware.

It means nothing. You clearly didn't understand the implication of the original statement.
Yup.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
You can't do math. 50 TB, for simplicities sake, is 50,000 GB - for glacier deep archive that's $49 a month. No one is storing stuff in top S3 tiers unless you have a need for actual high-speed (think local millisecond level access for an AWS app) access to it.

That's actually pretty reasonable. I haven't kept up with Amazon S3 stuff.

This is getting way off topic, but do they offer this to consumers, or do you absolutely have to be an enterprise user?

Back in the day I used reverse encrypted CrashPlan for my backup needs until they shut down their consumer service. Then I shifted to an offsite backup storage server I myself operate.

Assuming I have to replace all of my hard drives once every ~5-6 years and the server hardware once every ~10 years, (or every ~5 years with used stuff) paying that price per month actually sounds very reasonable.

Whats their backup/snapshot client like? Can I encrypt it locally so that Amazon lacks the encryption key on their end?

Lets assume the worst happens, and I need to recover 50TB of data, are they going to hold it hostage for very expensive recovery fees?

That's actually pretty reasonable. I haven't kept up with Amazon S3 stuff.

This is getting way off topic, but do they offer this to consumers, or do you absolutely have to be an enterprise user?
1667411679124.png

They'll take money from anyone - this is my deep archive for my backup software I run in my lab (about 75G so far - note that you do briefly have to pay for the import on a higher tier before it drops down for some of the data, as it imports, then they'll effectively discount some of that out since you're storing in archive). Lots of front-end tools to write directly to the bucket too. Uploading incrementals goes effectively straight to glacier - it's just the first upload that will touch S3 higher for a moment.
Back in the day I used reverse encrypted CrashPlan for my backup needs until they shut down their consumer service. Then I shifted to an offsite backup storage server I myself operate.

Assuming I have to replace all of my hard drives once every ~5-6 years and the server hardware once every ~10 years, (or every ~5 years with used stuff) paying that price per month actually sounds very reasonable.
Oh yeah. It is.
Whats their backup/snapshot client like? Can I encrypt it locally so that Amazon lacks the encryption key on their end?
So I work for a backup company - I have my own tool :D And yes, you ALWAYS own the encryption key for any software - I generated a key with openssl. You can also encrypt on their side and feed it a key you generate too - I don't use theirs, and feed it encrypted and deduped data to start out.
Lets assume the worst happens, and I need to recover 50TB of data, are they going to hold it hostage for very expensive recovery fees?
Retrieval fees and export are... not free, lets say.
1667412085076.png

1667412120547.png

So the retrieval job, if you don't need it fast (bulk SLA is 12 hours) is free - but the transfer OUT will cost money based on how much you want to retrieve. Given that it's a one time fee, it's not horrible - the chances of needing to retrieve EVERYTHING are... not as likely :)

I use glacier as an archive for older backups - things I likely won't ever need again - and a local archive (s3 target) for more recent ones or less important. Uses the same API.

View attachment 523683
They'll take money from anyone - this is my deep archive for my backup software I run in my lab (about 75G so far - note that you do briefly have to pay for the import on a higher tier before it drops down for some of the data, as it imports, then they'll effectively discount some of that out since you're storing in archive). Lots of front-end tools to write directly to the bucket too. Uploading incrementals goes effectively straight to glacier - it's just the first upload that will touch S3 higher for a moment.

Oh yeah. It is.

So I work for a backup company - I have my own tool :D And yes, you ALWAYS own the encryption key for any software - I generated a key with openssl. You can also encrypt on their side and feed it a key you generate too - I don't use theirs, and feed it encrypted and deduped data to start out.

Retrieval fees and export are... not free, lets say.
View attachment 523684

View attachment 523685

So the retrieval job, if you don't need it fast (bulk SLA is 12 hours) is free - but the transfer OUT will cost money based on how much you want to retrieve. Given that it's a one time fee, it's not horrible - the chances of needing to retrieve EVERYTHING are... not as likely :)

I use glacier as an archive for older backups - things I likely won't ever need again - and a local archive (s3 target) for more recent ones or less important. Uses the same API.

Yikes!

I back up about 25TB (but if I am honest about it only about 5TB of that is irreplaceable.)

Looks like retrival would cost ~$2,250 should I have a total system failure losing all data.

About $500 for only the 5TB.

You may never need it, but if you do, that's a little steep. In the 10 or so years I've been remotely backing up, I've never needed to restore anyhting, but still, we keep backups for a reason.

But compared to replacing 16 large hard drives every 5 years, its still on the cheaper side.

Yup. that's why I only use it for things that are truly "irreplaceable" - where that data REALLY REALLY matters. I'm protecting against "the house burned down and you couldn't grab the archive server on the way out the door." Family photos, critical docs, a couple of critical file shares - that kind of stuff. You can also retrieve into an EC2 instance for free - getting the data back from there is on you, but may be cheaper too (although you're paying for the EBS and EC2 at that point). And for those, you don't have to retrieve the entire archive - you can do partial ones, or with the right software, even individual files.

This is the part where glacier stings. If you tier up to normal tiers, S3 higher tiers out to the net are cheaper - but you pay more for the storage too. It's a tradeoff. Software can help estimate too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back