Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newegg 3rd party sellers are not acceptable for price comparisons. They are well known for overcharging and sketchiness. Here, have an ebay link: $4.69. Remember, I bought 2697 v2's for $50 each. Used is acceptable when failure replacement cost is so low.

We aren't out to make any money off your sale. We can't. Stop deluding yourself. Find an IT guy in a company desperate for like-replacement hardware because his boss won't listen to him. There's your sale.
Businesses don't buy from ebay and that's one of the reasons I'm having trouble selling my server hardware on ebay, so why would I make it any worse for myself buy comparing ebay prices to the price I paid newegg for my Intel Xeon E5-2609v2's let alone even buy from ebay for that matter especially for $4.69 for each Intel Xeon E5-2609v2 you want me to compare mine to as well as lower my price to.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Businesses don't buy from ebay and that's one of the reasons I'm having trouble selling my server hardware on ebay, so why would I make it any worse for myself buy comparing ebay prices to the price I paid newegg for my Intel Xeon E5-2609v2's let alone even buy from ebay for that matter especially for $4.69 for each Intel Xeon E5-2609v2 you want me to compare mine to as well as lower my price to.
A few years ago I saw a system similar to yours for sale locally. I REALLY needed a server at the time and I still turned it down. Pretty sure it was about $200 and I just couldn't justify it on v2 processors and ddr3.

The server is now 6 years old, but hasn't been used much except to test the Intel Xeon E5-2603v2's.
No, one , cares, about how much it has been used to calculate cost. It is either used or isnt.

I know you want a warranty, but I just can't give you that and ebay usually provides a warranty automatically with squaretrade if they do it atisn't.
Squartrade warranties from ebay are worthless IMHO, and probably in the mind of many buyers.

I need to buy two 1 server though not just one because one for my access with distribution layer and I need one for my campus layer.
No one cares what you need. Life 101, only your mommy and daddy will ever really care. If they are gone well you are on your own.

Plus 10 percent to 25 is plenty good enough
No it isnt

because your almost getting $1000 if your not and most retailers try to make 33 percent profit, so their price might 33 percent higher and
They do,? might? Which one or the other? come on into reality. It's been 2 years. Did you graduate yet? Finish that senior year?

Dell wants $10,000 or more for a similar build with Intel Xeon E5-2600v2 processor support.

Dell is selling Sandy Xeon Era Severs still, the he'll you say, where?

Here is the truth. My home server is the same Gen as yours. But better by a small margin. You know where it is going when I decom it? 1 of 2 places. Trash heap or the kids high school if the CS teacher wants it. It has a monetary value of $0.

You're an idiot then because you could have cleaned it up with an anti-static blower and parted out the good parts to sell. I would have told the kid to get a job and if he was really young as in under 18 I would have told him that you don't need a server because it's not a toy and there nothing, but junk on the internet anyway and there's nothing worth looking up on it either as well as go read books about computers in addition to telling them to find the good books on computers not give him a free handout on hardware that costs a fortune. However, apparently I'm the idiot in this situation because I don't give away a server that almost costed $4000 to build away for free and apparently I would be the mean person for not giving some kid a free server too. Anyway though my server hasn't been used hardly at all and your lab server has been running 24 / 7 for who knows how long, so that's a pretty big difference between your story and what I'm selling.

The "junk" on the internet, is the same "junk" you are selling yourself..

Wow, so because you have no clue about hardware prices and actual used value, you would not help out a kid who wants to learn. Most people learn "hands on" not from reading old out dated books.
You are one selfish dense mofo...

You are not an idiot for not giving away a server, you are an "idiot" for expecting to sell your ancient server hardware for 1000x the current price you can buy it for anywhere else....Or even buying a completely 100% brand new, with warrantied, modern day hardware that will out perform your ancient paper weight by 200% in every task.

...what I need to sell all this hardware for ..

What you need is irrelevant...not sure why you can not comprehend this?

I "need" to sell my house for $1million...but hey its only worth $550k....

So your telling me, if you saw your own ad - you would think it is a great deal and buy it right away?
Would you not be searching around doing price comparisons and realise that the seller was out of their minds for the prices they were asking? It scares me if you have to buy new hardware for your campus or what ever else you were talking about, because who ever employs you likely trusts your IT knowledge...but sure if they actually knew what kind of hardware you are buying...they may start to wonder..

I've only had this hardware for 4 years because I bought it to see if my Intel Xeon E5-2603v2's still worked and they do,
Why? Just ditch them. 4 years ago they had some value. Buying new hardware to test old chips is... not really a good idea.
so I'm selling this stuff and I need a 1U server that supports only up to 350 watts instead of a 2U server that supports up to 1400 Watts with redundant 700 Watt Power Supplies.
That's not how power supplies work.
I bought the Supermicro X9DAI motherboard because I didn't trust my Gigabyte 7PESH3 anymore after the Intel Xeon E5-2603v2's wouldn't post with an PNY Nvidia Quadro 420 graphics card instead of a PNY Quadro K620 that's included in this listing instead of the PNY Quadro K420.
Ok, fine - I hope you bought it used and cheap off of ebay, because buying a new V2 board 4 years ago was a waste of money unless you had one hell of an industrial or business use case.
I messed up the 32 GB of WIntec ECC DDR3 from the build that used the 7PESH3 when I accidently grab them like a handle and Wintec doesn't make memory anymore, which I would charge more if they did because Wintec was expensive at around $300 for a 16 GB kit and $600 for a 32 GB kit and more for for a 64 GB kit or higher. I switched to Supermicro motherboards because Supermicro didn't like that I was using a Gigabyte motherboard in their 2U chassis when I RMA'd the original chassis when it was still under warranty.

I built the first server I completed with the Gigabyte 7PESH3 and a 4U Supermicro Chassis in the Summer of 2014. I downgraded from the 4U chassis using the Gigabyte 7PESH3 in 2016 and then the server went haywire in 2018, so I RMA'd every part and when I got the processors back I bought the Supermicro X9DAI as well as a new Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB chassis plus a new PNY Quadro K620 along with 32 GB of Black Diamond ECC memory to including the Intel Xeon E5-2609v2's with $8000 of Paypal credit in 2018.
This was a very unwise expense. Those systems were not worth that then except to very specific people (generally industrial setups that don't have the software validated for newer hardware or needed very specific slot configurations on a board) - you should not have spent that much then, never mind now. You made a mistake - I'm sorry, but it's true. No one except businesses was spending that then - and only when they absolutely had to, otherwise they'd just buy NEW hardware instead. You're not an industrial plant.
Then I bought an Extra Supermicro X9DAI motherboard a few months after that with the $8000 of PayPal credit in 2018.
Also unwise.
Keep in mind that the motherboards, processors, and memory aka RAM is only 3 generations old
6. You're on Ivy Bridge. After that is Haswell (1), Broadwell (2), Skylake (3), Cascade lake (4), Cascade Lake R (5), and now Ice Lake (6), and Sapphire Rapids is coming soon(tm). You're two generations behind on RAM (DDR3 vs 5). You don't support any of the hardware spectre or meltdown mitigations. VMware is dropping support for Ivy Bridge in 8 (currently in beta). You're on PCIE 3 at best (I can't be bothered to check) while PCIE5 is now out.

You have 6 generation old hardware that started losing value the day Intel released its successor - and 6 generations later, it's not worth anything to people. Maybe to an industrial business somewhere (or maybe medical) that needs specific kit - but they're using validated 3rd parties to purchase that from in the gray market. Not individuals.
and was the first generation Xeon processor to support OS Guard.
So what? That's not special, and now 6 generations later, it's not unique either.
The server is now 6 years old, but hasn't been used much except to test the Intel Xeon E5-2603v2's.
Doesn't matter how old the hardware is or how much it's been used. This is server gear - the value is tied to the age of the architecture and how many successor generations have been released. Ivy Bridge came out 10 years ago and is 6 generations old. It's effectively scrap metal.
I know you want a warranty,
I don't care about warranties. Individuals don't care about warranties on old server gear. They care about price/usefulness as a ratio - the higher the usefulness, the higher the price its worth. 6 generations old is not useful, and therefore the price must be low.
but I just can't give you that and ebay usually provides a warranty automatically with squaretrade if they do it at all. I need to buy two 1 server though not just one because one for my access with distribution layer and I need one for my campus layer.
Buy a couple of desktop workstations used and set up the software there. Trust me - I run a HUGE home lab (see photos prior) and I can simulate almost ~anything~ you could ever want to do (we're a full L3 IPSEC+BGP network across 4 sites in a mesh with weighted ECMP) - and all of our layer based systems are built on home kit (we call them TORboxes - for Top Of Rack Box, as it runs the routing/VPN/etc software at the "top" of each site).
Plus 10 percent to 25 is plenty good enough because your almost getting $1000 if your not and most retailers try to make 33 percent profit, so their price might 33 percent higher and Dell wants $10,000 or more for a similar build with Intel Xeon E5-2600v2 processor support.
Nope. You don't understand margins either.
Businesses don't buy from ebay
In that case you're selling to individuals. Why buy your system when I can get a new one from Dell with much more modern processors for cheaper? Especially now?!?
and that's one of the reasons I'm having trouble selling my server hardware on ebay, so why would I make it any worse for myself buy comparing ebay prices to the price I paid newegg for my Intel Xeon E5-2609v2's let alone even buy from ebay for that matter especially for $4.69 for each Intel Xeon E5-2609v2 you want me to compare mine to as well as lower my price to.
Just because you made a poor choice on purchase price doesn't mean others will.

No, one , cares, about how much it has been used to calculate cost. It is either used or isnt.

Squartrade warranties from ebay are worthless IMHO, and probably in the mind of many buyers.

No one cares what you need. Life 101, only your mommy and daddy will ever really care. If they are gone well you are on your own.

No it isnt

They do,? might? Which one or the other? come on into reality. It's been 2 years. Did you graduate yet? Finish that senior year?

Dell is selling Sandy Xeon Era Severs still, the he'll you say, where?

You're an idiot because 2011v2 isn't Sandy Bridge Era Servers and is actually Ivy-Bridge Era Servers. I couldn't find the link to the Dell Intel 2011v2 E5-2600v2 Processor Supported Server that goes for $10,000 with eight 2TB Hard drives and fully loaded with the rest of the hardware that my server comes with, but here is the link to the cheapest Dell 2U Server being the Dell R540 2U Server that starts at $1989 with Xeon Scalable Bronze 3206R processors that Dell want $531.77 each just for the processors and costs up to $7133.88 with eight 2TB SATA hard drives instead of eight 2TB SAS hard drives that I'm offering, no blue-ray optical or optical at all, no raid let alone if Dell even includes a RAID card at that price or an option to include it at all considering Dell wouldn't let me select a RAID 60 configuration with at eight mechanical hard drives considering Dell charges a fortune for SSD and that the R540 supports up to 12 front 3.5 inch hard drives or SSDs, and no video card considering dell doesn't even allow you to choose that option, which as I said it would cost you $10,000 or more just to get a server from Dell fully configured with the option my server provides and you can't get what my server has from Dell let alone upgrade it to another motherboard after Xeon Scalable loses support for less or you can just upgrade the server I'm selling to Xeon Scalable for less than the price of this Dell being the losest price Dell starting at $1989.00. :

Dell PowerEdge R540 2U Rack Server

Here is the truth. My home server is the same Gen as yours. But better by a small margin. You know where it is going when I decom it? 1 of 2 places. Trash heap or the kids high school if the CS teacher wants it. It has a monetary value of $0.

An idiot who paid 1/10th or less than you did mere months after your purchase for the same gen setup, and who if can give his server to the high school will take the cost as a tax write off.

I wish you well and hope you learn from this and do not take your impolitic stance into the workplace, else you will quickly find yourself fired over and over.

You're an idiot because 2011v2 isn't Sandy Bridge Era Servers and is actually Ivy-Bridge Era Servers. I couldn't find the link to the Dell Intel 2011v2 E5-2600v2 Processor Supported Server that goes for $10,000 with eight 2TB Hard drives and fully loaded with the rest of the hardware that my server comes with, but here is the link to the cheapest Dell 2U Server being the Dell R540 2U Server that starts at $1989 with Xeon Scalable Bronze 3206R processors that Dell want $531.77 each just for the processors and costs up to $7133.88 with eight 2TB SATA hard drives instead of eight 2TB SAS hard drives that I'm offering, no blue-ray optical or optical at all, no raid let alone if Dell even includes a RAID card at that price or an option to include it at all considering Dell wouldn't let me select a RAID 60 configuration with at eight mechanical hard drives considering Dell charges a fortune for SSD and that the R540 supports up to 12 front 3.5 inch hard drives or SSDs, and no video card considering dell doesn't even allow you to choose that option, which as I said it would cost you $10,000 or more just to get a server from Dell fully configured with the option my server provides and you can't get what my server has from Dell let alone upgrade it to another motherboard after Xeon Scalable loses support for less or you can just upgrade the server I'm selling to Xeon Scalable for less than the price of this Dell being the losest price Dell starting at $1989.00.
It's half the same hardware and just a year apart. "Same diff" as we say at this age.

Those 3206R's are also a generation old now. They also vastly outperform your rig. We can't upgrade your rig to Scalables without replacing everything inside it. Why would we pay thousands for a rackmount case that can be bought for a few hundred?

Buying new enterprise equipment will always be expensive. By your own words you are trying to sell to Average Joes, not businesses, so we don't particularly care what Dell would charge us.

Answer us this: You bought this stuff on financing 4 years ago. Have you paid off the bill yet?

It's half the same hardware and just a year apart. "Same diff" as we say at this age.

Those 3206R's are also a generation old now. They also vastly outperform your rig. We can't upgrade your rig to Scalables without replacing everything inside it. Why would we pay thousands for a rackmount case that can be bought for a few hundred?

Buying new enterprise equipment will always be expensive. By your own words you are trying to sell to Average Joes, not businesses, so we don't particularly care what Dell would charge us.

Answer us this: You bought this stuff on financing 4 years ago. Have you paid off the bill yet?
Yes I paid off the bill in 2019 and no you don't have to replace everything inside the server I'm selling. All you have to replace is the motherboard, processors, and RAM aka memory because the heatsinks with fans are still compatible with Intel Xeon Scalable, the video card wouldn't need replaced, and neighter would the Areca RAID card or the Blue-Ray XL Burner Drive or the hard drives. I gaurantee that you could replace the motherboard, processors, and RAM for less than a Dell with Xeon Scalable support too because the Supermicro X11DAI motherboard with up to 4 TB of DDR4 ECC RAM support sells for as low as $739.99 here on newegg: Supermicro X11DAI-N Motherboard , the Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 6-Core Retail Boxed Processors go for as low as $344.99 each here on newegg: Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 SkyLake 6-Core 1.7 GHz LGA 3647 85W BX806733104 Server Processor , and Black Diamond DDR4 ECC RAM with heatspreaders sell for $760.00 here on Newegg: Black Diamond Memory 64GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model BD64G2133MQR96 , which stilll costs you a lot less than a Dell R540 server to make it fully loaded with the same hardware here starting at $1989.00 : Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server .

Last edited:
Yes I paid off the bill in 2019 and no you don't have to replace everything inside the server I'm selling, but it's actually been 5 years and not 4 years since I bought this hardware and it will be 6 years after 2023 starts. All you have to replace is the motherboard, processors, and RAM aka memory because the heatsinks with fans are still compatible with Intel Xeon Scalable, the video card wouldn't need replaced, and neighter would the Areca RAID card or the Blue-Ray XL Burner Drive or the hard drives. I gaurantee that you could replace the motherboard, processors, and RAM for less than a Dell with Xeon Scalable support too because the Supermicro X11DAI motherboard with up to 4 TB of DDR4 ECC RAM support sells for as low as $739.99 here on newegg: Supermicro X11DAI-N Motherboard , the Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 6-Core Retail Boxed Processors go for as low as $344.99 each here on newegg: Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 SkyLake 6-Core 1.7 GHz LGA 3647 85W BX806733104 Server Processor , and Black Diamond DDR4 ECC RAM with heatspreaders sell for $760.00 here on Newegg: Black Diamond Memory 64GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model BD64G2133MQR96 , which stilll costs you a lot less than a Dell R540 server to make it fully loaded with the same hardware here starting at $1989.00 : Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server .

Yes I paid off the bill in 2019 and no you don't have to replace everything inside the server I'm selling. All you have to replace is the motherboard, processors, and RAM aka memory because the heatsinks with fans are still compatible with Intel Xeon Scalable, the video card wouldn't need replaced, and neighter would the Areca RAID card or the Blue-Ray XL Burner Drive or the hard drives. I gaurantee that you could replace the motherboard, processors, and RAM for less than a Dell with Xeon Scalable support too because the Supermicro X11DAI motherboard with up to 4 TB of DDR4 ECC RAM support sells for as low as $739.99 here on newegg: Supermicro X11DAI-N Motherboard , the Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 6-Core Retail Boxed Processors go for as low as $344.99 each here on newegg: Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 SkyLake 6-Core 1.7 GHz LGA 3647 85W BX806733104 Server Processor , and Black Diamond DDR4 ECC RAM with heatspreaders sell for $760.00 here on Newegg: Black Diamond Memory 64GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model BD64G2133MQR96 , which stilll costs you a lot less than a Dell R540 server to make it fully loaded with the same hardware here starting at $1989.00 : Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server .
I really really like how he keeps saying "RAM aka memory" lol. So good.

Yes I paid off the bill in 2019
So you aren't in fact desperate for the money, anymore. Sounds like you can just dump it and work on saving up for something reasonable and new (or old and used) that will actually give you the learning potential you want.
no you don't have to replace everything inside the server I'm sell. All you have to replace is the motherboard, processors, and RAM aka memory because the heatsinks with fans are still compatible with Intel Xeon Scalable, the video card wouldn't need replaced, and neighter would the Areca RAID card or the Blue-Ray XL Burner Drive.
LGA3647 uses a mechanically incompatible socket from 20xx. The HSF's cannot be reused, even with adapters because the IHS's are so damn big. The video card and optical drive are merely extras at this point. We either have sets of what we want already or will put in something newer and better. RAID cards are a dime a dozen, assuming we need one at all (tons of storage access on those boards, RAID is generally outdated, anyway).
I garantee that you could replace the motherboard, processors, and RAM for less than a Dell with Xeon Scalable support too because the Supermicro X11DAI motherboard sells for as low as $739.99 here on newegg: Supermicro X11DAI-N Motherboard , the Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 6-Core Retail Boxed Processors go for as low as $344.99 each here on newegg: Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 SkyLake 6-Core 1.7 GHz LGA 3647 85W BX806733104 Server Processor , and Black Diamond DDR4 ECC RAM with heatspreaders sell for $760.00 here on Newegg: Black Diamond Memory 64GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model BD64G2133MQR96 , which cost you a lot less than a Dell R540 server to make it fully with the same hardware here starting at $1989.00 : Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server .
Again, consider your market. We aren't enterprise, we aren't going to pay new retail for old hardware. Yours OR Dell's. Most of us don't even need or want rackmount (or its noise). X11's aren't cheap used for sure, but <$500 will get a quality example, among many other options, some which have built in graphics for servers. We aren't going to pay retail for old CPUs, either. lopoetve already pointed out that off warranty SP Platinums are now relatively cheap (and damn, they really are, if there weren't impending platform and GPU releases I need to jump on, I would be biting), and so are DDR4 RDIMMs. *Knock on wood* The stuff is so reliable that having one or two off warranty enterprise pieces at home isn't a failure concern (like it is when you have hundreds or thousands in a datacenter and the bathtub curve comes into play).

I really really like how he keeps saying "RAM aka memory" lol. So good.
I was thinking he was going off a twitter rant of Ian Cutress' about why "RAM" as a term shouldn't be used generically, but I'm genuinely concerned Scharf doesn't know that much about hardware.

Screenshot 2022-09-11 131159.png

I was thinking he was going off a twitter rant of Ian Cutress' about why "RAM" as a term shouldn't be used generically, but I'm genuinely concerned Scharf doesn't know that much about hardware.

View attachment 509159
Weird thing to have an issue with. I say RAM for system memory and reference GB size when discussing cards. But if I had to differentiate (not that I should have to. The person I'm speaking with should be able to determine, based on the conversation, what I am referring to) I would state RAM or VRAM.

So you aren't in fact desperate for the money, anymore. Sounds like you can just dump it and work on saving up for something reasonable and new (or old and used) that will actually give you the learning potential you want.

LGA3647 uses a mechanically incompatible socket from 20xx. The HSF's cannot be reused, even with adapters because the IHS's are so damn big. The video card and optical drive are merely extras at this point. We either have sets of what we want already or will put in something newer and better. RAID cards are a dime a dozen, assuming we need one at all (tons of storage access on those boards, RAID is generally outdated, anyway).

Again, consider your market. We aren't enterprise, we aren't going to pay new retail for old hardware. Yours OR Dell's. Most of us don't even need or want rackmount (or its noise). X11's aren't cheap used for sure, but <$500 will get a quality example, among many other options, some which have built in graphics for servers. We aren't going to pay retail for old CPUs, either. lopoetve already pointed out that off warranty SP Platinums are now relatively cheap (and damn, they really are, if there weren't impending platform and GPU releases I need to jump on, I would be biting), and so are DDR4 RDIMMs. *Knock on wood* The stuff is so reliable that having one or two off warranty enterprise pieces at home isn't a failure concern (like it is when you have hundreds or thousands in a datacenter and the bathtub curve comes into play).
RAID cards that support RAID 60 or higher are not a dime a dozen because there are only two choices with one being LSI, which is very cheap at $100 except good luck with getting long enough mini-SAS to SATA cables needed to connect to backplane for the hard drives bays with it or drivers unless you use the drivers included with Microsoft Windows if there are any, but good luck With Linux or with Apple if its supported and then there is ARECA which costs around $400 to $700 or more, but ARECA's includes the internal mini-SAS to SATA cables for backplane on the case for the hard drives and a driver disc in case your having trouble getting the drivers from the internet on to a flash drive first.

If you don't like what I'm offering then don't buy it or then I'm not selling to you, but you aren't getting it for free or almost nothing because I'm being nice enough to give up to 25 percent off being $986.10 off the buy it now price that I'm seeing if someone actually would be nice enough to pay the buy it now price and if not hey you can have it all for 25 percent off and save $986.10 plus you get an extra motherboard and chassis with two 700 watt power supplies as well as a hard drive protection plan because I just got the eight 2 TB SAS hard drives in 2021, so if have enough money you can finish the build with the second chassis and motherboard and have a cluster.

Last edited:
Let's pretend I'm interested. Give me 1 legitimate, compelling reason why I should purchase this over ... let's say HP DL380 G8 series, loaded, for most likely less than $500
You're not going to get a new HP or IBM server for less than $500 fully loaded or one that's barely used especially with Intel Xeon Scalable support or AMD Epyc Support.

Last edited:
You're not going to get a new HP or IBM server for less than $500 fully loaded or one that's barely used especially with Intel Xeon Scalable support or AMD Epyc Support.
That's not the implication. He asked why he should buy your old ass junk over an HP DL380 Gen 8 off eBay that would cost around $500. We are talking about similar generations of hardware. Why would he spend nearly $4,000 on what your selling when he can buy equivalent hardware for less money literally anywhere else. We are talking about the same decade old era of hardware you are. Not new Xeon Scalable CPU's or anything like that.

In fact, I found what he was talking about right here. That server for $509 has WAY better CPU's than you are selling for a lot less. It has a built in RAID controller in the motherboard and every feature your setup has and probably more.

Yes I paid off the bill in 2019 and no you don't have to replace everything inside the server I'm selling. All you have to replace is the motherboard, processors, and RAM aka memory because the heatsinks with fans are still compatible with Intel Xeon Scalable,
No, they're not.
the video card wouldn't need replaced,
Most server boards have BMC connections on them - what do I need a video card for? If I did need one - I've got spares, and basic output cards are $65 or so. If I'm putting a real GPU in a server, I'm buying a GRID card.
and neighter would the Areca RAID card
A relatively useless card - SATA only, and Areca doesn't have inbox drivers for ESXi (or 3rd party anymore), so you're limited to windows and Linux - which is a much smaller market to start with now. LSI 8000 series cards go for $100-200 on ebay, flash to IR mode if you need RAID.
or the Blue-Ray XL Burner Drive or the hard drives.
Drives are drives, optical is ancient - I keep one last one around on USB just in case, but they don't get used anymore. It's 2022 - no one uses optical now.
I gaurantee that you could replace the motherboard, processors, and RAM for less than a Dell with Xeon Scalable support too because the Supermicro X11DAI motherboard with up to 4 TB of DDR4 ECC RAM support sells for as low as $739.99 here on newegg: Supermicro X11DAI-N Motherboard
And we could replace those with a cheap case for far less than buying yours - you're not helping your argument here.
, the Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 6-Core Retail Boxed Processors go for as low as $344.99 each here on newegg: Intel Xeon Scalable Bronze 3104 SkyLake 6-Core 1.7 GHz LGA 3647 85W BX806733104 Server Processor , and Black Diamond DDR4 ECC RAM with heatspreaders sell for $760.00 here on Newegg: Black Diamond Memory 64GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model BD64G2133MQR96 , which stilll costs you a lot less than a Dell R540 server to make it fully loaded with the same hardware here starting at $1989.00 : Dell PowerEdge R540 Rack Server .
Uh. No. I've already done this for you once, not doing it again. But either way - this isn't helping your argument - why buy yours when I can build cheaper?

Again, consider your market. We aren't enterprise, we aren't going to pay new retail for old hardware. Yours OR Dell's. Most of us don't even need or want rackmount (or its noise). X11's aren't cheap used for sure, but <$500 will get a quality example, among many other options, some which have built in graphics for servers. We aren't going to pay retail for old CPUs, either. lopoetve already pointed out that off warranty SP Platinums are now relatively cheap (and damn, they really are, if there weren't impending platform and GPU releases I need to jump on, I would be biting),
It's amazing what happens when you get close to the end of the 5 year old depreciation cycle, ain't it?
and so are DDR4 RDIMMs. *Knock on wood* The stuff is so reliable that having one or two off warranty enterprise pieces at home isn't a failure concern (like it is when you have hundreds or thousands in a datacenter and the bathtub curve comes into play).
Bingo - and I have no financial penalty or loss if a lab system goes down or loses a dimm or a proc.
RAID cards that support RAID 60 or higher are not a dime a dozen because there are only two choices with one being LSI, which is very cheap at $100 except good luck with getting long enough mini-SAS to SATA cables needed to connect to backplane for the hard drives bays with it
Got 10 of them in a box. Easy. Cheap. If that doesn't fit, FS.com or others have them and will make them. They're like $20 a cable.
or drivers unless you use the drivers included with Microsoft Windows if there are any,
There are. For all of them. Including ESXi and Proxmox and more. The LSI cards are the most common cards in existence - they're rebranded in dozens of different brands. PERC, Lenovo, hell - everyone but HP!!
but good luck With Linux or with Apple if its supported and then there is ARECA which costs around $400 to $700 or more, but ARECA's includes the internal mini-SAS to SATA cables for backplane on the case for the hard drives and a driver disc in case your having trouble getting the drivers from the internet on to a flash drive first.
Why would I have trouble getting drivers? 1, I have the internet, and 2, almost every OS has the drivers built in - but ARECA is so unusual that there AREN'T inbox drivers for a lot of things.
If you don't like what I'm offering then don't buy it or then I'm not selling to you, but you aren't getting it for free or almost nothing because I'm being nice enough to give up to 25 percent off being $986.10 off the buy it now price
That's not what we're doing. We're trying to help you actually sell it. By asking what it's worth.
that I'm seeing if someone actually would be nice enough to pay the buy it now price and if not hey you can have it all for 25 percent off and save $986.10 plus you get an extra motherboard and chassis with two 700 watt power supplies as well as a hard drive protection plan because I just got the eight 2 TB SAS hard drives in 2021, so if have enough money you can finish the build with the second chassis and motherboard and have a cluster.
Why would I want an ivy bridge cluster? It can't run anything that I can't run elsewhere - and in fact, once ESXi 8 drops in a few months, it won't even be able to run current software. I don't build physical windows or linux servers - what good would out of date hardware do me?

I do buy unique hardware sometimes - but an x86 server from that era is not unique or powerful enough to do anything special.
Now the price target is $500?

That's not the implication. He asked why he should buy your old ass junk over an HP DL380 Gen 8 off eBay that would cost around $500. We are talking about similar generations of hardware. Why would he spend nearly $4,000 on what your selling when he can buy equivalent hardware for less money literally anywhere else. We are talking about the same decade old era of hardware you are. Not new Xeon Scalable CPU's or anything like that.

In fact, I found what he was talking about right here. That server for $509 has WAY better CPU's than you are selling for a lot less. It has a built in RAID controller in the motherboard and every feature your setup has and probably more.
THIS. Why buy your server when we could get that - if we really wanted to?

I went to that site and scharfschutzed a server and could only get to $1,277

https://techmikeny.com/products/hp-proliant-dl380p-g8-25-bay-2-5-2u-server/hDGkMO

RAID 60 and all yo. Peep it

Bingo! And thats from a very reputable seller that is normally higher than others. These deals can be found without no effort.

Your an idiot because you get one hard drive an it's a 600 GB SAS 15K RPM so what, but you only get one hard drive and configuration is not customizable. Plus mine includes eight 2TB SAS 7200 RPM and RAID card that supports RAID 60, so you're getting the dual hard drive hot swap parity. Your link still didn't include an Operating System either and you have on board video, so what if you already have graphics cards lying around because those are all probably junk compared to what I'm selling too.

Plus your not even getting eight 3.5 inch hot swap hard drive bays either or optical drive let alone an optical drive bay and I'm giving you a BD-XL Drive in the server, but not the extra chassis. You don't get a front bezel too. You get 8x 16GB PC3-10600R RAM - Total of 128GB Memory, but don't get heatspreaders and I doubt the motherboard can support up to 1 TB of DDR3 SDRAM either. You get 2x 2.90Ghz E5-2690 8 Core Processors - Total of 16x Cores instead of just two 2.5 GHz Intel E5-2609v2's 4 Core Processors, so what because those are not 2011v2's there first generation 2011's idiot can't you read.

Your an idiot because you get one hard drive an it's a 600 GB SAS 15K RPM so what, but you only get one hard drive and configuration is not customizable. Plus mine includes eight 2TB SAS 7200 RPM and RAID card that supports RAID 60, so you're getting the dual hard drive hot swap parity. Your link still didn't include an Operating System either and you have on board video, so what if you already have graphics cards lying around because those are all probably junk compared to what I'm selling too.

Plus your not even getting eight 3.5 inch hot swap hard drive bays either or optical drive let alone an optical drive bay and I'm giving you a BD-XL Drive in the server, but not the extra chassis. You don't get a front bezel too. You get 8x 16GB PC3-10600R RAM - Total of 128GB Memory, but don't get heatspreaders and I doubt the motherboard can support up to 1 TB of DDR3 SDRAM either. You get 2x 2.90Ghz E5-2690 8 Core Processors - Total of 16x Cores instead of just two 2.5 GHz Intel E5-2609v2's 4 Core Processors, so what because those are not 2011v2's there first generation 2011's idiot can't you read.
So, let's extrapolate (is that too long of a word?) here.
You think E5-2960 is bad, because they're not E5-2960v2. Correct? The v2 is obviously MUCH better?

So, the E5-2960 came out in 2012. The E5-2960v2 came out in 2013. A whopping (roughly) 1 year difference.

Continuing on here... you're asserting that one single year between CPUs is a big deal.

Well, you're POS v2 CPUs came out in... 2013. Doing some math for you, since you seem to struggle with basic arithmetic, that is about 9 years ago. CPUs have made quite a lot of progress in those 9 years. CPUs from 2016 and 2017 will run circles around these in terms of performance, instruction sets, security, and power draw.

About the only thing you have that's remotely worth anything are the chassis and maybe power supplies.

1662984828215.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back