Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, wut? I'm not complaining about anything, just trying to educate you on the value of your hardware and get you to realize your mistakes so that you can make better choices and have a better future. The fact that we're posting links to $4 CPUs means that while they may go for a lot more, they go more frequently for next to nothing. The finer point's I'll leave to Dan's excellent posts above me.

If you price your system right like everyone is saying, it will sell, and this problem will go away and you can get some hardware that's more to your tastes, budget, and imaginary power consumption ideas. byusinger has 1U Xeon E3v3 servers in the F/S forum for very little that will use less power and have good enough performance for you to continue learning on so you can get yourself out of this spiral.

Have you had any bites to your sale this time around?

Remember: $350 and the madness stops. I have heat, I have paypal, I have a home address in the US. But now that I see I can get a 2699v3 or 2680v4, board, and 32GB Reg for about $450 if I avoid the weird Chinese boards (I need expansion slots, anyway), maybe I don't need to keep letting you know you have at least one person interested.

Woot did you say. LOL

That's a goddamn lie. From your own post, you itemized the original price of the hardware and then showed a 25% discount off the original purchase price.

View attachment 270357

That means, 25% off the entire price of the build. That's not selling the CPU's for $35, which is what we have shown they go for when purchased new right now. At 25% off, each CPU would have a discount of $66.20 or a final price of $198.61. That means you are selling used CPU's for a price of $163.61 more than they cost new. You sir, are trying to rip people off. In fairness, I don't think it's out of sheer greed or malice, but rather because you are delusional about what your hardware is worth. You are pricing it out of sheer ignorance rather than objectively looking at the systems real market value.

The part about the SGI Indigo 2 system was a joke.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit evidently, as I explained your 2U server does not, never has, can not possibly ever use 1400 watts of electricity. It is physically impossible. It has two 700w power supplies. These are redundant, not tandem. You don't add their maximum power output as the total power draw for the system. That's not how things work. Power supplies only draw whats demanded of them. Your hardware has two 80w TDP CPU's and the motherboard probably uses far less than 100w. Probably close to 50w, maybe 80w. Your drives use a maximum of 20w each. The math on that comes out to a maximum potential power draw of around 400w. Even then, hardware is almost never loaded to a point where it uses its full TDP. Without overclocking, it's not possible to use more than 80w on those CPU's. Again, that's 400w of hardware in a system with power supplies that cannot output more than 700w TOTAL. You do not add the TDP's or ratings of all the hardware to get your power figures for its electrical draw.

That again, showcases your ignorance on this topic. You are literally spouting nonsense that's objectively wrong.

No, they do not go for allot more than that. Can't you read? This is a link from Ebay, for a used Intel Xeon E5-2609v2. It's currently priced at $4.25. That's their value when used. Again, your CPU's aren't new and in the package. They are used. That means, they are worth $4. They aren't even worth the $35 they go for for new. These CPU's sure as hell aren't worth the $198.61 you are trying to sell them (reflecting your supposed and laughable 25% discount.)

You aren't listening. These CPU's do not go for $600 new. The link you provided is for an HP branded processor upgrade kit. If you actually look at your own link, you won't see a price and it's out of stock. It's also from a third party reseller, which targets data centers and IT organizations looking to upgrade or repair legacy servers. The highest price you can possibly find for something does not necessarily reflect the actual going rate for hardware. Anyone who wants to buy one of these CPU's is going to shop around and opt to sped $35 for a new CPU or $4.25 for a used one. Not, $600.

AGAIN. You do not add 2x700w to get 1400w for your 2U server. That's not how that works. Your installed hardware doesn't pull that kind of power.

No, they don't. Your link doesn't show a price and even if it did, it wouldn't matter. We've shown you that those same CPU's can be bought for $35 new, or $4.25 used. They are NOT $600 each no matter how many times you tell yourself that. If you paid that two years ago, you got ripped off. That's not anyone else's problem. No one is going to pay over $3,000 for used, low end server that's got parts in it that were available 7 to 8 years ago. For $3,000-$4,000, people can get a far better workstation or server that will absolutely smoke what you are selling.

Computer hardware does NOT retain its value for very long. Period, end of story. The sooner you can accept that, and the fact that your server doesn't use 1400w, the better off you'll be.

I don't need your explaination of how to price my hardware because the listing is buy it now or best offer and I'm offering plently low of a best offer. Also, I don't need your explanation of how to figure out the math on my configuration because I finally got charts made and I actually did the math myself too, which it's not that difficult to add maximum wattage ratings to avoid overloading a breaker aka circuit. Also, screw you if you think I'm going to sell barely used Intel 2011v2 2609v2's for $4 each or for both or $4.25 each or for both or $35 for each or both just because you can find them for that low used or new on ebay anyway as I paid $264 each new in box and yes that was two years ago and yes they are about 6 year old processors except I hardly used them and they still go for around $600 each new on newegg regardless of how much a cheapskate you want to be by suggesting I lower the price of my processors that much.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In 2005 triple channel didn't exist, so what are you talking about because triple channel didn't exist until Intel Socket 1366 or AMD Opteron equivalent platforms around 2008 or 2009 or 2010 or whatever considering that information is not obtainable where it should be anyway.
No but 2005 was the last time a multichannel memory controller was released that would fall back to single channel mode when configured with anything but identical modules in each slot. So your Intel Socket 1366 and AMD Opteron equivalent platforms in 2008-2010 were already capable for handling memory capacities beyond the powers of 2 you mentioned before while still operating in triple channel mode. Hell they could stay running in a limited triple channel mode if each channel was a different size.

I don't need a kilo-watt to figure out that my plans for a server and enterprise network configuration might use to much power for the circuits and outlets I have to work with because I need or needed to know before I get the configuration up and running for my senior project and for my labs along with skill finals for my earlier Cisco Enterprise Computer Networking classes, like CCNP IP Route aka CCNP Advanced Routing, CCNP IP Switch aka CCNP Multi-Layer Switching, and CCNP TSHOOT aka TSHOOT especially considering either the school or Cisco has blacklisted all my older copies of versions of packet tracer except the newer versions I just downloaded. Also, considering the CCNP commands don't work in packet tracer, even with simulated 3650's as there are no 3560v2's or 3750v2's or 3560G's or 3650G's or 3560E's or 3750E's. Otherwise, considering that Cisco Multi-Layer switches can't actually be emulated in earlier version of GNS as real Cisco Switches and in newer version of GNS that CISCO IOU's (Internetwork Operating System On UNIX) are needed, which are difficult to make with getting them from Cisco if possible as I have no idea how to do so because the guide on the internet just show how to setup an IOU that is obtained from Cisco anyway and I would still have no idea how to do it without obtaining an IOU from Cisco as well as I'm not trying or even know how to do it myself and if that is considered hacking then I'm not a hacker anyway as well as if I did figure it out they could probably find a way to keep me from making it work anyway as it's there product and the complexity of making it work without actually obtaining an IOU from Cisco all by myself is something I doubt I'll be able to do.
Buy a switch from ebay that has the version you want.
I do know that FreeBSD or TrueOS is the closest form of UNIX available at almost no cost to actual UNIX or AT&T's UNIX
SysV Unix doesn't ~exist~ anymore - just AIX/HP-UX/Solaris at this point, which are the initial variants (BSD broke from an earlier branch and went its own way). Linux technically is API compatible but NOT Unix (especially anything making use of the GNU set of utilities/etc).
besides one of the several Linux distributions, but Microsoft Windows Hyper-V doesn't play nice with BSD or any other Linux distribution besides Ubuntu and even use of Ubuntu is limited with Hyper-V and disabling Hyper-V to use VMware or Virtual Box doesn't help because Microsoft Windows 8, 8.1, & 10 in particular don't play nicely with disabling Hyper-V
Wat. I've been doing this for fifteen years- it works just fine, thank you very much. Don't even disable Hyper-V - just install whatever alternate software you want. VT isn't owned by a process, it's an extension on the CPU.
to use VMware or Virtual Box in order to make an IOU yourself and the rest of the process of making an IOU by yourself is unclear as to what to do. Although, it is clear that a binary image of a Cisco Enterprise Switch IOS Operating System is needed to obtain the VMLinux Kernel or Kernel and the initrd to emulate inside the virtual machine that would be running FreeBSD or PCBSD or some linux distribution with qemu a lot like what was done with older version of GNS except that older version of gns did all the work of emulating the vmlinuz kernel with the initrd that had to be obtained by using UNIX/Linux forensics to carve out the vmlinuz kernel and initrd from the binary image using hexdump and hexedit, so basically I might be able to do it if I could keep the whole process straight in my head or as I could try to do it except I haven't LOL and it's easier to do it on real Cisco equipment regardless if there's alot of real world use that I either haven't applied to actually using the equipment or that I'm not allowed to actually use the equipment for LOL.
Why would you be trying to do this? Why would you even attempt to do this? If packet tracer can't emulate what you need, go buy a cheap IOS or NX-OS switch from ebay. They're a couple of hundred bucks used, and will generally run whatever you need to run (unless you need the later 9k level software - then it's a grand or so).
Besides that the maximum wattage for a circuit or outlet can't be determined from a kilowatt and a kilowatt is not going to magically add up all my wattage that would need to be used for my planned configuration anyway regardless if I already have a kilowatt and you don't want to exceed the maximum wattage that the circuit or wall outlet can provide. For example, 15 amps times 100 VAC is 1500 watts, but 15 amps times 120 VAC is 1800 watts and a 15 amp outlet with a 20 amp breaker with 120 VAC makes 20 amps times 120 VAC that equals 2400 watts and if you double the breakers or circuits then you don't exceed this if you add up all the wattage of the devices properly and if you only use low wattage enterprise equipment LOL.

Kill-a-watt is not a kilowatt. Kill-a-watt tells you your actual wall power draw, which IS the part you care about. Maximums are never hit, parallel power supplies don't pull the maximum wattage ever (unless you've done something really stupid), they're aimed at a specific efficiency target.

I. Run. Datacenters. You're not doing this right. I've got close to 24 high-load servers on a single 30A circuit (with backup, they are, after all, set to failover). I pull 18A at max load. These are all 2690/2680V4s with a ton of drives and 512G each. If I'm not pulling more than 18A, you ain't gonna with what you have, especially since that stack has 2 10G switches and an all-flash storage array on the same circuit.

Yeah duh becuase I don't own any Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc equipment, so I pay very little attention to it at the moment.

I was pointing out that for what you're asking, I can sell you a brand-new server with Xeon Scalables in it, more ram, and a WARRANTY. brand new. No special discounting. Why would I buy your system when I could buy the R740 instead for the SAME PRICE, but with much better hardware in it.

I already have a cheap workstation to use as alternative and I already thought of that from the very beginning, but thank you as yes that has been very helpful too until I can get a real low wattage server to work with in order to get as close to real server hard experience as I can get for now and in order to be ready for my senior project at the end of my bachelor degree program.

Servers are nothing but extra memory channels and better ECC compatibility, and normally form factor. Run a workstation; it's the same software.

I don't need your explaination of how to price my hardware because the listing is buy it now or best offer and I'm offering plently low of a best offer. Also, I don't need your explanation of how to figure out the math on my configuration because I finally got charts made and I actually did the math myself too, which it's not that difficult to add maximum wattage ratings to avoid overloading a breaker aka circuit. Also, screw you if you think I'm going to sell barely used Intel 2011v2 2609v2's for $4 each or for both or $4.25 each or for both or $35 for each or both just because you can find them for that low used or new on ebay anyway as I paid $264 each new in box and yes that was two years ago and yes they are about 6 year old processors except I hardly used them and they still go for around $600 each new on newegg regardless of how much a cheapskate you want to be by suggesting I lower the price of my processors that much.

If you bought them new two years ago you got scammed - there's no reason to buy DC hardware new as an end-consumer.

Value is what hte market says it is. I can try to sell my car at $1,000,000, but if the market says it's worth $5,000, I'm not getting $1,000,000.

Your processors are worth around $5-10 MAX per chip. They're very old, they're very slow, they're incredibly common, and they have no warranty on them, so they have no value.

You don't understand the concept behind value here - stuff depreciates over time (with notable exceptions, like land, some minerals, and rare objects). Computer hardware especially depreciates quickly; arguably faster than vehicles do - after 5 years, there's no warranty left on it except the gray market, and you're not a gray market seller that will offer a warranty.

If you bought them new two years ago you got scammed - there's no reason to buy DC hardware new as an end-consumer.
They didn't get scammed. They just overpaid due to their ineptitude. I think there's quite the distinction as the former has some component of maleficence.

I think as we've established that the OP is dissociated from reality and won't listen to anyone, this comedy thread should be more entertaining...maybe some memes?

I don't need your explaination of how to price my hardware because the listing is buy it now or best offer and I'm offering plently low of a best offer.

Yes you do. If you didn't, you wouldn't be trying to get over $3,000 for hardware that's 7 to 8 years old.

Also, I don't need your explanation of how to figure out the math on my configuration because I finally got charts made and I actually did the math myself too, which it's not that difficult to add maximum wattage ratings to avoid overloading a breaker aka circuit.

Yes you do. You kept saying your system pulls 1400 watts of power which is absolutely impossible. I don't know what charts you had made (WTF does that even mean?), and I can tell you did the math on your own because it's wrong. If you had a clue what you were doing, you would know that you do not calculate system wattage by the maximum value of a power supply. You do not add two redundant units together to get their maximum value. You also don't have enough hardware in there to pull even 500w, much less 1400w.

Also, screw you if you think I'm going to sell barely used Intel 2011v2 2609v2's for $4 each or for both or $4.25 each or for both or $35 for each or both just because you can find them for that low used or new on ebay anyway as I paid $264 each new in box and yes that was two years ago and yes they are about 6 year old processors except I hardly used them and they still go for around $600 each new on newegg regardless of how much a cheapskate you want to be by suggesting I lower the price of my processors that much.

They do not go for $600 new. We've shown links showing this isn't the case. Your link had no valid price because it was to an old link. Specifically, an HP server CPU upgrade kit. How much you've used a CPU makes no difference. There is no way to know that for sure. Once the packaging is open, it's used. And if you bought them for $264, why do you keep insisting they still go for $600 two years later?

It's not math that you are doing, its meth.

They didn't get scammed. They just overpaid due to their ineptitude. I think there's quite the distinction as the former has some component of maleficence.

I think as we've established that the OP is dissociated from reality and won't listen to anyone, this comedy thread should be more entertaining...maybe some memes?

I'd say scammed, but I see your point - those only exist for the true gray-market / 3rd party support organizations that might need to get a "new" part. 2 years ago he could have bought a broadwell chip for similar pricing - hell, you could still buy new 80286 chips until recently, if you had some old industrial equipment that needed one, and tehy weren't super cheap either - but no one bought them new unless you were REALLY specific on why.

Hey dont forget the cpus are almost kinda nearly NIB only used slightly. I would wager that this person is high on the spectrum, and that is why they keep tossing out buzzwords and telling people they are idiots for attempting to bring them into reality.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Yeah duh becuase I don't own any Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc equipment, so I pay very little attention to it at the moment.

This is where your basic personality problem lies: You ridicule people with professional knowledge in the subject like they don't know anything (e.g., paraphrased: 192GB ram? You must be so dumb, you can't do that), but when we correct you with information so basic it's listed on the Wikipedia page for the series of CPUs, suddenly it's "I don't know because I don't own it."

If you didn't have 10 years on the forum, I'd think you were 13. Gods know I've been talking to you like I would to a snotty teenager in my classroom from my teaching days.

If you didn't post the stuff on ebay with clearly original pictures, I'd think you were pulling an epic long troll on this forum. Actually, jury is still out on that one. I thought you had given up on us, again, but now you're back and so are we. Partly for the lulz, but mostly because most of us really want to help you out in a way other than paying your stupid high price.

Still trying to offload this thing for 2014 pricing, eh?

I will reduce my previous offer of $400 to my door to $350 to my door, as Cascade Lake-R has further decreased the value of old Intel servers. This offer remains serious, so long as Ice Lake-SP has not been released. PM me when you're tired of the space it takes up.

Otherwise, GLWFAS.

I'm not tired of the room that it takes up, but I actually need to make a pretty decent from the sale of this to be able to build a 1U server with at least a Xeon Scalable Bronze if not Silver just not Gold or Platinum as those processors definitely cost to much for me to even consider with even the current price I'm asking for this server and everything included especially with 10 percent to 25 percent off with the lowest or best offer as Gold Xeon Scalables and Platinum Xeon Scalables cost even more than the buy it now price.

Last edited:
Many of us have been doing this for two or three decades. We've seen i286's and far older crap than that. Ever work on a Vax machine? I have.

You might as well go have a conversation with your car. At least that can talk back and respond based on what commands you give it. (Assuming your car is new enough.) This guy is the same guy who wanted to build some dual processor Xeon rig with over priced Xeons with low core counts and got angry with anyone who recommended Threadripper based systems to him. He's also the same guy who was spouting off software requirements for applications that were over ten years old and wanted to do everything from making his own OS to computer animation with a ten year old copy of Bryce 3D. This guy has lofty goals, outdated ideas on what he wants to do and none of the discipline or wisdom to pursue anything to a competent level and understand that he doesn't know much of anything.

He doesn't take advice. Ever. I wrote pages and pages of recommendations for him. All of which were ignored. Thankfully, those writings might have helped someone else so I was glad to do it. This guy? Waste of time to advise him. Trust me on that.

Said Duane Dickhut, Vice President of Digital Electronic Computers LOL if you've seen that artical with that name and if it was the real vice president of DEC's name in regards to VAX. LOL no insult intended either as I just thought it would be funny to point out that the vice president of DEC's name actually is Duane Dickhut or someone doctored it to that in an artical I found on the internet years ago. LOL because you got to admit that is at least funny if you want to brag about working on VAX or something that expensive to compare me or my stuff to.

Said Duane Dickhut, Vice President of Digital Electronic Computers LOL if you've seen that artical with that name and if it was the real vice president of DEC's name in regards to VAX. LOL no insult intended either as I just thought it would be funny to point out that the vice president of DEC's name actually is Duane Dickhut or someone doctored it to that in an artical I found on the internet years ago. LOL because you got to admit that is at least funny if you want to brag about working on VAX or something that expensive to compare me or my stuff to.
You can get an old VAX for a hundred bucks, if you can find a way to get the thing home.
Old hardware is cheap as shit.

I'm tired of the room that it takes up, but I actually need to make a pretty decent from the sale of this to be able to build a 1U server with at least a Xeon Scalable Bronze if not Silver just not Gold or Platinum as those processors definitely cost to much for me to even consider with even the current price I'm asking for this server and everything included especially with 10 percent to 25 percent off with the lowest or best offer as Gold Xeon Scalables and Platinum Xeon Scalables cost even more than the buy it now price.
You’re not going to. You bought the wrong hardware when you bought it, it has no value now.
What part of value confuses you? I’m trying to help- take the 350 someone offered you and go find a cheap workstation to run your stuff on.

Or hell, drop ESX on that gear and use it for what you need. It’ll still run on there for now.

I'm tired of the room that it takes up, but I actually need to make a pretty decent from the sale of this to be able to build a 1U server with at least a Xeon Scalable Bronze if not Silver just not Gold or Platinum as those processors definitely cost to much for me to even consider with even the current price I'm asking for this server and everything included especially with 10 percent to 25 percent off with the lowest or best offer as Gold Xeon Scalables and Platinum Xeon Scalables cost even more than the buy it now price.

Welp, you're halfway there on my offer. $350 (minus shipping costs) is the most you're going to make from this. You'll have to find another way to save up for what you want. I do the same thing when I see a shiny expensive thing I've got to have that doesn't fit my budget.

The Ice Lake SP cometh, so your time is running short.

The company was called Digital Equipment Corporation or DEC for short. Bringing up the VAX is irrelevant. All I was indicating is just how long I've worked with servers and in the IT industry.

That's me telling you, that I know what I'm talking about when I tell you that machine isn't worth what you think it is.

I am having a hard time reading this thread. Not saying this is the case, but I have a friend who is late life diagnosed and the patterns of discussion are very similar. There are mental loops and unfortunately all the help and reasoning for some, isn't enough. In these situations any perceived opposition/help only solidifies the stance. It isn't rational as any help is an attack as nothing can unlock the perceived reality of the situation. As evidence 2@ 700W power supplies don't use 1400W. This is a fact I believe the OP will never be able to adjust to and is their sole focus of needing to sell.
At this point I think all the positive help is doing more harm then good.
OP doesn't see it that way IMHO.

I concur and feel the same, this is difficult/troubling to read. I hoped the suggestion to use a power meter to test the 700W x 2 rated supplies = 1,400W actual consumption hypothesis could break the logjam but from his response I agree with you that this is not a hypothesis to the OP; it’s an immutable foundation upon which the OP has built his/her entire plan. Anything contrary to this will be interpreted as antagonism. I have a family member who exhibits some of these behaviors, and “more words” won’t help.

i think posting the simple counterpoint of current market value (already done by many) so other buyers know what they are getting into and can make the best decision for themselves, is sufficient, and we should exit this thread. Perpetuating this for entertainment is wrong.

The OP has stated what they are selling and the minimum they expect. One person made a counter offer that was declined. Others posted references for how much one could expect to pay for equivalent hardware. Everything else past this is superfluous.

Last edited:
I concur and feel the same, this is difficult/troubling to read. I hoped the suggestion to use a power meter to test the 700W x 2 rated supplies = 1,400W actual consumption hypothesis could break the logjam but from his response I agree with you that this is not a hypothesis to the OP; it’s an immutable foundation upon which the OP has built his/her entire plan. Anything contrary to this will be interpreted as antagonism. I have a family member who exhibits some of these behaviors, and “more words” won’t help.

i think posting the simple counterpoint of current market value (already done by many) so other buyers know what they are getting into and can make the best decision for themselves, is sufficient, and we should exit this thread. Perpetuating this for entertainment is wrong.

The OP has stated what they are selling and the minimum they expect. One person made a counter offer that was declined. Others posted references for how much one could expect to pay for equivalent hardware. Everything else past this is superfluous.
I ~think~ most of us are trying to shift him towards recognizing expertise and asking for help, so he doesn’t make these mistakes again. With the spectrum, that can be hard, but I have seen people “break through” and become a trusted friend to help steer someone through making these kinds of mistakes. But it’s hard to say too... that’s where I want to believe I’m coming from, at least.

You can get an old VAX for a hundred bucks, if you can find a way to get the thing home.
Old hardware is cheap as shit.

I don't want an old VAX because I probably couldn't power it electrically out of a standard 15 amp or standard 3 prong 15 amp outlet. Old hardware isn't always cheap either and VAX sounds like a big computer or piece of computer hardware as well as expensive.

I don't want an old VAX because I probably couldn't power it electrically out of a standard 15 amp or standard 3 prong 15 amp outlet. Old hardware isn't always cheap either and VAX sounds like a big computer or piece of computer hardware as well as expensive.

Again, why are you stuck on that? It's not important and no one is suggesting you get one.

I'm not tired of the room that it takes up, but I actually need to make a pretty decent from the sale of this to be able to build a 1U server with at least a Xeon Scalable Bronze if not Silver just not Gold or Platinum as those processors definitely cost to much for me to even consider with even the current price I'm asking for this server and everything included especially with 10 percent to 25 percent off with the lowest or best offer as Gold Xeon Scalables and Platinum Xeon Scalables cost even more than the buy it now price.

So basically. You want to trade your old, heavy, slow, unsupported, antiquated server, for a brand new, power efficient, scalable server. And you expect it to be if not at least an even trade, but cash to you as well.

And this makes sense to you?

I built my Dell Precision T5610, 128GB DDR3ECC , 2 x 2TB Toshiba, 2 x 250G SSDs, dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2658 v2 @ 2.40GHz 10 cores (20 threads) and a 500GB Lite-ON SSD for about $700 CAD.......running as a single node vSAN.

How the heck can you expect anything over $1000 for that thing....

Attachments

• server.PNG
    server.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So basically. You want to trade your old, heavy, slow, unsupported, antiquated server, for a brand new, power efficient, scalable server. And you expect it to be if not at least an even trade, but cash to you as well.

Not using punctuation makes sense to him; of course he thinks he can play the trade-up game. It also appears he's been ninja editing his old posts for some reason. Don't think he realizes that the forum doesn't change the quotes of the original in our posts.

Look just buy the server and anything else sold with it if you want to buy it. No I don't want to trade servers or parts with you. This is not the buy, sell or trade thread.

I built my Dell Precision T5610, 128GB DDR3ECC , 2 x 2TB Toshiba, 2 x 250G SSDs, dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2658 v2 @ 2.40GHz 10 cores (20 threads) and a 500GB Lite-ON SSD for about $700 CAD.......running as a single node vSAN.

How the heck can you expect anything over $1000 for that thing....
Well let's see. That's about how much it costs to buy it new and you expect it to almost cost nothing instead like it's free. You're an idiot.

Sometimes I feel bad in this thread, for the OP obviously. I can understand all the different chips and platforms, sometimes with the same names as previous generations. Like the 2667, as an example.

Plus, the ability to still buy these cpus (v2 Intel as an example) from retailers just exacerbates the issue.

But, here this guy has been given ample evidence to understand why his pricing is bad and it will never sell. He made a huge blunder and it's time to accept it and move on.

Well let's see. That's about how much it costs to buy it new and you expect it to almost cost nothing instead like it's free. You're an idiot.
Because no one pays new prices for used hardware.
Depreciation. Look it up. Hardware is on a MACRS 5 year the gross majority of the time.

After the long silence, I was hoping you had finally given up on this, but looking at the ebay listing history, I guess not.

Scharfie, I'm not trying to belittle you or insult you with this question, but I really want to know: You've been trying to sell this thing with only the smallest in price reductions for over a year now, and we know you need the money. At what point will you finally give up on being able to sell it?

And no, I'm not trying to get you to give it to me for my "lowball" offer. Used v3/v4 parts have dropped in value again such that a complete system would cost less than your shipping quote, so my interest in it has expired.

After the long silence, I was hoping you had finally given up on this, but looking at the ebay listing history, I guess not.

Scharfie, I'm not trying to belittle you or insult you with this question, but I really want to know: You've been trying to sell this thing with only the smallest in price reductions for over a year now, and we know you need the money. At what point will you finally give up on being able to sell it?

And no, I'm not trying to get you to give it to me for my "lowball" offer. Used v3/v4 parts have dropped in value again such that a complete system would cost less than your shipping quote, so my interest in it has expired.
Agreed. I just retired the last two sandy bridge systems - have no intention of bringing them back. They’re dead.

I'm not doing meth you idiot. I do the math on this not meth. You must be doing meth not me.

You say math but your posts say meth. :)

Seriously, you can't seem to grasp the fact that your ancient hardware isn't worth what you paid for it on the used market. Anyone who buys what your selling for the price you are asking is flat out getting fleeced. You have to be on hard drugs not to so completely fail to understand what everyone in this thread has been telling you.

Lets see here:
Processor(s): Intel Xeon E5-2609 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP 2.5 GHz LGA 2011 80W BX80635E52609V2 Server Processor x 2 $264.82 each $529.64 combined

Matched pair: 15$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-SR1A...308620?hash=item56e16e96cc:g:w4IAAOSwOylfNwmb

Memory: 32 GB Black Diamond Server Memory 16GB kits (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) with heatspreaders x 4

4x 8GB Hynix Server RAM w Heatspreaders: 40$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-32GB...467728?hash=item595d9a1290:g:yIQAAOSwuklfuYda

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DAi-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066/800 $457.99 x2 combined $917.08

Not exact model, but Dual 2011 DDR3 Server board, etc etc. 125$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO...377029?hash=item420c30f6c5:g:mqoAAOSwdQFdybj~

Front Bezel: Supermicro MCP-210-82503-0B 2U Front Bezel for SC825, SC828 Chassis w/half Windows Logo & half Ubuntu Logo Single Sticker and Separate Nividia Logo Sticker and Separate Matrox Sticker, but No Matrox Graphics card as I thought the motherboard had a single on board Matrox graphics chip $38.99
Heatsink: SNK-P0048AP4 2U ACTIVE CPU HEATPIPE HEATSINK x2 $55.39 each $110.78 combined
Blu-ray Drive: New Panasonic UJ-260 6x Blu-Ray Burner BDXL Supports QL TL DL SL Bezel SATA Drive $89.89

These really don't matter.

Raid Card: Areca ARC-1264IL-16 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Low Profile SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID Controller Card

Adaptec LP 16 Port SAS Card: 200$ (Plenty of cheaper options, too)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASR-71605-...980703&hash=item3ada40b26d:g:Kj4AAOSwOIpeLL~e

Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB Enterprise Capacity HD SAS 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000NM0023) x8 $29.00 each $232.10 combined (Rescue - 3 Year Data Recovery Plan for Internal/Bare Drives Sold by: After Solutions x8)

1.92 TB Intel Enterprise SSDs: 320$ / each (And they will trash SSHD performance in every metric.)
https://www.newegg.com/intel-d3-s4510-1-92tb/p/2U3-0001-000A7

Chassis w/PSU’s: SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black 2U Rackmount Server Case w/700 watt Redundant PSU x2 (2nd SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB Black 2U Rackmount Server Case w/700 watt Redundant PSU was RMA'd Successfully) 542.78 x2 combined $1085.56

2U Supermicro Chassis with 2x 920W PSU: 175$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...718841?hash=item366ad725f9:g:fUUAAOSwnTdaJaKu

PNY Quadro K620 VCQK620-PB 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card with Square Trade 3 Year VGA Protection Plan For Item #: N82E16814133560 $159.99

Quadro K620's: 20-50$ on ebay, depending on specifics. (Including Low Profile)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-Qua...612279&hash=item1f1a5b9df2:g:XjcAAOSw5ONfvFAB

So, all said and done:

That's under 600$ + the cost of HDD's.

And I listed 1.92TB ENTERPRISE SSD's instead of SSHD's, because SSHD's are dumb and always have been. (They were a gimmick to trick people when they were launched, and now they're even more lame a gimmick.)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did a cheap "hold me over" upgrade to my server in August last year with two E5-2650 v2's, a Supermicro X9DRi-F and a Supermicro CSE-846 case replacing my old Norco.

I paid as follows:
CPU: 2x 8C/16T E5-2650 v2 - $130 (for both)
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRi-F; $152.81 (oddly specific price, I know...)
Case: Supermicro CSE-846 including Backplane/SAS Expander: $225

I already had all of my SSD's, SAS HBA's, and 256GB of ECC RAM, so I didn't rebuy those.

But that's ~$475 I spent last August.

OP's CPU's are low clocked quad cores. People are practically giving those away for free. In fact I have a pair of hexacore E5-2620's that came with the motherboard for free, that I just have kicking around a junk drawer. They aren't even worth selling they are worth so little. Too much work to package them up and ship them out.

So yes, OP is extremely overvaluing what he is trying to sell.

Wouldn't be the first time in the used market though. People always overvalue what they have, and undervalue what they are trying to buy. Such is human bias.

This case is pretty extreme though.

I don't want this server, but if I did, I wouldn't offer more than $400 at most. Most of it is junk. All of the drives would have to go (I never use used drives, that's just asking for trouble) The CPU's would have to be replaced by something faster. The RAM would be pulled and replaced with 256GB. I'm not sure about that RAID card, but I'd probably replace it with an LSI SAS HBA for use with ZFS.

So essentially, I'd be paying just for the motherboard and the case. Come to think of it, $400 would be too much. Maybe $250.

Last edited:
I have 2690V3 x2 I can’t sell. Dual 12 core suckers. Not worth it to anyone. Even Haswell generation is getting old!

I have 2690V3 x2 I can’t sell. Dual 12 core suckers. Not worth it to anyone. Even Haswell generation is getting old!
Yeah,

Only reason I stopped at v2 was because I didn't want to rebuy all of my RAM. Used Registered DDR4 sticks are coming down in price now though, to the book there that is starting to not be as big of a deal anymore.

Maybe I'll replace my two 2650 v2's with a single socket EPYC in the not too distant future.

r/homelabsales is a great place to sell hardware that you no longer want. Dont throw it away as some of us can def use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back