Supermicro SC825TQ-700LPB Chassis with X9DAI Motherboard+complete build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. It’s odd but with the number of required mitigations, especially in virtualization environments, they’re getting dropped fast now (they get really slow with all those turned on, and if you’re exposing at all to the web…). Plus power consumption levels have changed so much that they’re just not worth it. Especially with all the broadwell and later dropping.

Bingo. I’ve got a couple of 2690V3 if you want them - just the procs. They’ve been sitting in a static bag for two years now.

Avoid anything pre-Rome. Can’t remember where Milan fell into that.

Whacky performance issues at times. Early Epyc was not good - although the low core counts didn’t have most of the issues.

I have some piles of DDR4 I’ll sell you cheap. How much do you need?

Like literal PILES.

Early Threadripper and Epyc CPUs had lots of performance issues due to the internal latency across CCX complexes and CCDs. This was a problem with Epyc, as NUMA access was sometimes really bad because of the CCX and CCD design. It made up for it somewhat with raw memory bandwidth. Whereas Threadripper didn't have enough memory bandwidth for certain applications.

This was really apparent on CPUs like the 2970WX and heavy multithreaded workloads.

Only if you cross NUMA nodes, right? If you design your workloads well and contain them inside a NUMA, I thought it was pretty fine? That's really reaching back in my memory though so I could/probably am wrong.

Bingo. I’ve got a couple of 2690V3 if you want them - just the procs. They’ve been sitting in a static bag for two years now.

I'm probably not going to break down this server until it is decommed at this point. It's working now. I ahve the power I need. Taking it offline to pull the CPU's and replace them just isn't going to buy me much for the short time it will still be in service.

When I do decommission it though, I might just re-use the server board in my "workbench" machine I use for such things as flashing firmware to new controllers, testing drives for badblocks, etc. Would be fun to have the beefier CPU's. lets talk offline, I don't want to pull this thread any more off topic than it already has gone :p

Whacky performance issues at times. Early Epyc was not good - although the low core counts didn’t have most of the issues.

I had heard similar things, which is why I was looking at Milan.

Naples was first gen (Zen1), Rome is second gen (Zen2) and Milan is current gen (Zen3).

The lower core count CPU's are quite reasonably priced, but the super micro boards are still as pricy as ever :p

Like literal PILES.

Very nice. I'm looking to get to at least 256GB. Thats a nice sweet spot for me. 128GB for the XFS ARC, and 128GB to share among VM's. I'm looking at 32GB sticks since we are talking 8 slots.

I may be putting this off for a while though. My better half just had her car totaled, so I need to spend some money there :/

If you are still interested in a few months, I'd definitely be down!

Only if you cross NUMA nodes, right? If you design your workloads well and contain them inside a NUMA, I thought it was pretty fine? That's really reaching back in my memory though so I could/probably am wrong.

Pretty much, except for things like gaming which is very sensitive to latency.

Yep. It’s odd but with the number of required mitigations, especially in virtualization environments, they’re getting dropped fast now (they get really slow with all those turned on, and if you’re exposing at all to the web…). Plus power consumption levels have changed so much that they’re just not worth it. Especially with all the broadwell and later dropping.

Like literal PILES.

You got any boards to go with those or 4U cases?

Latency gets weird on those early releases. As Dan said. And memory access for the second NUMA node is slower too.
I'm probably not going to break down this server until it is decommed at this point. It's working now. I ahve the power I need. Taking it offline to pull the CPU's and replace them just isn't going to buy me much for the short time it will still be in service.

When I do decommission it though, I might just re-use the server board in my "workbench" machine I use for such things as flashing firmware to new controllers, testing drives for badblocks, etc. Would be fun to have the beefier CPU's. lets talk offline, I don't want to pull this thread any more off topic than it already has gone :p

I had heard similar things, which is why I was looking at Milan.

Naples was first gen (Zen1), Rome is second gen (Zen2) and Milan is current gen (Zen3).

The lower core count CPU's are quite reasonably priced, but the super micro boards are still as pricy as ever :p

Very nice. I'm looking to get to at least 256GB. Thats a nice sweet spot for me. 128GB for the XFS ARC, and 128GB to share among VM's. I'm looking at 32GB sticks since we are talking 8 slots.

I may be putting this off for a while though. My better half just had her car totaled, so I need to spend some money there :/

If you are still interested in a few months, I'd definitely be down!
Definitely will still have some. 256 isn’t hard.
Pretty much, except for things like gaming which is very sensitive to latency.
Bingo
You got any boards to go with those or 4U cases?
Negative.
Happen to have any 16gb 2400MT ?
Oh yes. Like a literal shit ton. I’m back home in a couple of weeks (vacation in South Africa right now). I’ll dig it up

I'm late to the thread, but I'm putting together a supermicro Milan build soon (128 cores, not a ton of memory/storage to keep the price down below $3k). How would this server compare to that? Not as familiar with the intel side of things. Also, lopoetve I might be interested in some ddr4 ecc as well if you're selling it.

I'm late to the thread, but I'm putting together a supermicro Milan build soon (128 cores, not a ton of memory/storage to keep the price down below $3k). How would this server compare to that? Not as familiar with the intel side of things.
Your Milan build is like a base 2020 BMW M5. His Ivy server is a 1980 Mercedes 300 that's been sitting outside by the Jersey Shore since 1981 with all original fluids still inside.

I'm late to the thread, but I'm putting together a supermicro Milan build soon (128 cores, not a ton of memory/storage to keep the price down below $3k). How would this server compare to that? Not as familiar with the intel side of things. Also, lopoetve I might be interested in some ddr4 ecc as well if you're selling it.

Your Milan build is like a base 2020 BMW M5. His Ivy server is a 1980 Mercedes 300 that's been sitting outside by the Jersey Shore since 1981 with all original fluids still inside.
Pretty much. This was a base model build in 2012. Base model, low power (relative), minimal ram.

You’re building a modern beast.

scharfshutze009 Over 2 years later and you still cant sell your stuff. Ever think maybe it's you?

Or are you incapable of holding yourself accountable and realizing your price was trash 2 years ago, let alone now.
Okay whatever Priller and how much would you like to pay for my server with all it's parts, the extra chassis with dual 700 watt power supplies plus hot swap bays, and the extra motherboard plus all the boxes for everything included?

Okay whatever Priller and how much would you like to pay for my server with all it's parts, the extra chassis with dual 700 watt power supplies plus hot swap bays, and the extra motherboard plus all the boxes for everything included?
Is the 25%, or $986.10, still on the table?

No it's not a 1980 Mercedes 300 that's been sitting outside by the Jersey Shore since 1981 with all the original fluids still inside. It's more like a two nice care with one that has all the parts you need that is running and a car with no engine missing most of it's essential parts and both have been sitting in a garage most of their life babied.

OP, I'll take it for $200 and shipping. You pay me I'll get rid of it for you. :p
No you're crazy. That's way to low of an offer for something this good regardless if you don't like the Intel Xeon 2011v2 Ivy Bridge parts because it's easily upgradeable to Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc for that matter and I don't want to see any complaints about that because it's not that big of a deal considering it would cost around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel Xeon Scalable Server from Dell if not HP or some other computer company.

Don't you know? Computers are like wine and get better over time, especially if you keep them powered off and sitting without being used in a cool basement.
It's just unfortunate that the OP is selling boxed wine that was left open on a porch in Alabama, and even hanging a "free" sign on it now will probably not get movement :D
No the server, the extra chassis and the motherboard are not like a boxed wine that was left open on a porch in Alabama. This server and that parts have been sitting in my closest in my apartment until now and now they are in my room at a group home. I'm not even in Alabama either because I'm in Ohio.

No you're crazy. That's way to low of an offer for something this good regardless if you don't like the Intel Xeon 2011v2 Ivy Bridge parts because it's easily upgradeable to Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc for that matter and I don't want to see any complaints about that because it's not that big of a deal considering it would cost around $10,000 or more to get a fully configured Intel Xeon Scalable Server from Dell if not HP or some other computer company.
How would I go about upgrading to scalable or Epyc servers? I would need new boards and ram, at the very least. Are you suggesting that cost is reasonable, on top of the price you want?

No it's not a 1980 Mercedes 300 that's been sitting outside by the Jersey Shore since 1981 with all the original fluids still inside. It's more like a two nice care with one that has all the parts you need that is running and a car with no engine missing most of it's essential parts and both have been sitting in a garage most of their life babied.
I was making a performance comparison analogy between 8 slow non-SMT old cores vs. 64 fast, SMT new cores (remember: the guy paid less than you're asking for his rig). But, if this is the comparison that you want to make, how about this offer: I'll make a straight trade for your server for my pristine, maxed out Apple PowerBook 180 ($5000 in 1992!), some quick reassembly required, but I assure you it has been well dusted for the last 20 years I've had it and is quite performant. Very efficient bitcoin miner back in its day, would probably make someone a lot of money with Ethereum. Act now and I'll throw in the dead TI-84 SE next to it!
20221030_074333.jpg

"Easily upgradable" :LOL: Sure, just take everything out and replace it all with something else! Brilliant! So you're selling a $3000 rackmount chassis with shitty PSUs in it?
...now they are in my room at a group home. I'm not even in Alabama either because I'm in Ohio.
Oh man, I almost felt bad for all my shitposts. But then I recalled all the time we've spent earnestly trying to help rid you of your burden just to be insulted and I lol'd.

I was making a performance comparison analogy between 8 slow non-SMT old cores vs. 64 fast, SMT new cores (remember: the guy paid less than you're asking for his rig). But, if this is the comparison that you want to make, how about this offer: I'll make a straight trade for your server for my pristine, maxed out Apple PowerBook 180 ($5000 in 1992!), some quick reassembly required, but I assure you it has been well dusted for the last 20 years I've had it and is quite performant. Very efficient bitcoin miner back in its day, would probably make someone a lot of money with Ethereum. Act now and I'll throw in the dead TI-84 SE next to it!
View attachment 522711

"Easily upgradable" :LOL: Sure, just take everything out and replace it all with something else! Brilliant! So you're selling a $3000 rackmount chassis with shitty PSUs in it?

Oh man, I almost felt bad for all my shitposts. But then I recalled all the time we've spent earnestly trying to help rid you of your burden just to be insulted and I lol'd.
No and that's a lowsy performance comparison analogy between 8 slow non-SMT old cores vs. 64 fast Milan because a Intel Xeon 2011v2 Ivy Bridge vs a 64 core AMD Milan is not like a 2020 BMW M5 vs. a 1980 Mercedes 300 that's been sitting outside by the Jersey Shore since 1981 with all original fluids still inside when it's more like a newer Super Duty Pickup Truck vs. an older Super Duty Pickup Truck or a newer Semi Truck versus an older Semi Truck because servers aren't made for performance their made for Storage Capacity, System Memory capacity in terms of RAM, and the amount of processors as well as processor cores.

Last edited:
Is the 25%, or $986.10, still on the table?
No because I lowered the total buy it now price to $3661.41 instead the last price at $3991.41 because I lowered the price of the processors to $77.14 each instead of $264.84 each, so now you're only saving $915.20 instead of $986.10 because 25 percent of $3661.41 is just $915.20. Also, the price of the buy it now or offer at 10 percent lowered to $3294.56 instead of $3549.69, so you're saving $366.14 instead of whatever you were saving before because 10 percent of $3294.56 is only $366.14. Finally I lowered the price of the buy it now or best offer at 25 percent to just $2746.06 instead of $2958.31, so once again you are only saving $915.20 because 25 percent of $3661.41 is only $915.20 instead of $986.10 and $915.20 minus $3661.41 is only $2746.06 instead of $2958.31. I hope you like this a lot more to because as I pointed out the chassis still go for $620 here: Supermicro SuperChassis 825TQ-R700LPB. The motherboard still goes for around $399 to $750 on ebay here and none of these are the X9DAI-O motherboard: Supermicro X9DAI motherboard. I mostly charging a lot for the motherboards because they costed me $457.99 each and the chassis with the dual redundant 700 Watt Power Supplies because they costed me $542.78 each. The processors, the video card, the heatpipe heatsinks with fans, the hard drives, the ECC RAM, and the front bezel I'm asking a pretty low amount for, but you people expect me to sell it all for practically nothing, so that you can turn around an sell it and make 100 percent profit, which is not right. The chassis make it easy to upgrade to Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc becuase the Supermicro X11DAI is compatible with this chassis and power supplies, which the motherboard form factor is EATX or SSIB too and not proprietary.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No because I lowered the total buy it now price to $3661.41 instead the last price at $3991.41 because I lowered the price of the processors to $77.14 each instead of $264.84 each, so now you're only saving $915.20 instead of $986.10 because 25 percent of $3661.41 is just $915.20. Also, the price of the buy it now or offer at 10 percent lowered to $3294.56 instead of $3549.69, so you're saving $366.14 instead of whatever you were saving before because 10 percent of $3294.56 is only $366.14. Finally I lowered the price of the buy it now or best offer at 25 percent to just $2746.06 instead of $2958.31, so once again you are only saving $915.20 because 25 percent of $3661.41 is only $915.20 instead of $986.10 and $915.20 minus $3661.41 is only $2746.06 instead of $2958.31. I hope you like this a lot more to because as I pointed out the chassis still go for $620 here: Supermicro SuperChassis 825TQ-R700LPB. The motherboard still goes for around $399 to $750 on ebay here and none of these are the X9DAI-O motherboard: Supermicro X9DAI motherboard. I mostly charging a lot for the motherboards because they costed me $457.99 each and the chassis with the dual redundant 700 Watt Power Supplies because they costed me $542.78 each. The processors, the video card, the heatpipe heatsinks with fans, the hard drives, the ECC RAM, and the front bezel I'm asking a pretty low amount for, but you people expect me to sell it all for practically nothing, so that you can turn around an sell it and make 100 percent profit, which is not right. The chassis make it easy to upgrade to Intel Xeon Scalable or AMD Epyc becuase the Supermicro X11DAI is compatible with this chassis and power supplies, which the motherboard form factor is EATX or SSIB too and not proprietary.
Your price is still about $3000 too high. And no, no one wants to buy it to sell it. As you're finding out on your own, it isn't a piece of gear anyone is looking to buy. That is why you still have it years after first listing, and, will be passing it down like some shitty family heirloom. Sooner than later it'll just end up in the trash or recycle.

Part it out if each piece is worth so much. You'll get a few dollars, at least.

Understood. Reasonable.

Sure - in an era when there are no roads anymore. It's not useful anymore. It's too old. And unlike cars, which have both a nostalgic value, a rarity value, and a classic value, a generic supermicro server has none. Even running it's not valid - the roads it drove on are long since gone.

Let me put this as clearly as possible - your hardware is so old that it can run almost nothing modern, and not old enough to have some historical value.
No it's not. And we already proved that your price on new hardware is seriously off.
No the server, the extra chassis and the motherboard are not like a boxed wine that was left open on a porch in Alabama. This server and that parts have been sitting in my closest in my apartment until now and now they are in my room at a group home. I'm not even in Alabama either because I'm in Ohio.
You're missing the point.
No and that's a lowsy performance comparison analogy between 8 slow non-SMT old cores vs. 64 fast Milan because a Intel Xeon 2011v2 Ivy Bridge vs a 64 core AMD Milan is not like a 2020 BMW M5 vs. a 1980 Mercedes 300 that's been sitting outside by the Jersey Shore since 1981 with all original fluids still inside
That's an accurate comparison.
when it's more like a newer Super Duty Pickup Truck vs. an older Super Duty Pickup Truck
The new truck runs rings around the old one. By MILES.
or a newer Semi Truck versus an older Semi Truck because servers aren't made for performance their made for Storage Capacity, System Memory capacity in terms of RAM, and the amount of processors as well as processor cores.
Ok sure. Except your truck drives on a road, and there are no roads left. Your hardware is too old - it's lost all valid software support! No one wants to run old stuff.

1667152573255.png

You're still charging too much.

You misunderstood me. You pay me $200 and cover shipping, I recycle the junk for you ;).

I stumbled across my budget sheet for a ground up IVY that I did in March 2021. OP maybe think, at that point I was a possible customer, most of the below came from ebay.

Can't wait for you to tell me how yours is $2400 better. I sold a whole damn car in April of 2021 for that, a 2008 base Civic with no AC and 175,000 miles but it ran.

TypePart (link)Cost
CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro 102$100
MotherboardX9DRi-LN4F+$120
CPUDual E5-2630 V2 incl w/ MB$0
RAM4 x Samsung PC3-8500R 8GB$66
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212 Black 525$32.00
PSUEVGA 600 White B$45
Storage (SAS/SATA)LSI 9207-8i SAS2$50
SAS CABLESSFF-8087 to SFF-8042 cable$15
SATA Cable6 Pack SATA cable 1.0k$8.00
FansBe quiet! Silent Wings x2$25
Thermal PasteGelid GC Extreme 29$10
SSDSK Hynix 500GB57
PSU Splitter8Pin EPS Splitter16
SATA Power2 pk SATA power Splitter13
Hard Drives4x ST3000NM0023 SEAGATE 3TB SAS106
Flash DriveSanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 32GB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-A11)8
$671

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll just leave this here because this now two year old thread is seriously value added entertainment and I can't look away :ROFLMAO::

this-thread-delivers_dhl.jpg

:D

Also a quick note for OP, I just picked up a new in box Quadro K620 2GB for $35 shipped to my door.......and I probably paid too much for it!

Last edited:

I wouldn't. I'd build something newer, cheaper, that has more performance and uses less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back