Supermicro CPU support

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Am I missing something or is Supermicro not very forthcoming about specifically which processors you can put in their boards?

Case in point: I have a C7Z170-M board I got in a trade with a guy. I'm looking to use it with a G4560 Pentium as an office machine. All their website says is that the board works with 6th and 7th Gen i3, i5, and i7 processors. But it doesn't tell you if it works with anything else (I'm assuming it does as long as I have the latest bios installed), nor does it tell you which bios you need to have installed for specific CPU's. Am I missing something? Here's the link for reference.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/Z170/C7Z170-M.cfm

Fair warning: I'm officially talking out of my ass.

I think they're just not very forthcoming. If they updated the BIOS to support the 7th gen series CPUs, then that should include the G4560 since it is a derivative of the Kaby Lake die and the Z170 chipset itself supports that CPU.

The only place I've ever seen Intel get a bit... fuzzy... with regards to CPU support within a family is on the C series of workstation chipsets that are intended to run the E3 Xeons and the i3 Cores. Their compatibility with the other Core CPUs (i5, i7, etc) is unofficial.

The Z series chipset, in contrast, is pretty absolute - it supports Kaby Lake, so it should support your 4560.

Alright. That's kind of what I'm betting on also. I guess I'll find out in a few days when I get my processor.

Back