Super flower titanium 850w

dhodson66

Weaksauce
I’m creating a new build
Not sure which cpu but gpu will be 6800xt red devil

Newegg email has this psu on sale for 165

Is this a reliable enough company or should I just pay more for another brand?

Companies such as EVGA and others don't actually produce their own power supplies. They contract with OEM companies who make the power supplies and then EVGA, etc, slaps their brand name on them. Super-Flower has been an OEM for quite some time. They made some of EVGA's best power supplies. More recently, Super-flower began to sell their power supplies directly to consumers. So while they seem like sort of an oddly-named new brand, they actually have quite an established history and a proven record of making very good power supplies.

I picked up a Super-Flower 850w Gold last year for about $65. Granted, I was only able to get that price by combining a few coupons, but $165 still seems a bit high. I think that the 80+ rating system is sort of hit-or-miss. It's quite handy in making it easier to spot low-end PSUs that are usually labeled Bronze or "white" (aka no color code, just below bronze) as these are either older designs or designs with significant cost-cutting compromises. But on the flip side, the higher-end 80+ tiers such as Platinum and Titanium seem to be mainly used to justify the significantly increased price-tags that are usually attached to those models. All for a fairly tiny increase in efficiency. Only you can decide if that that tiny extra bit of efficiency is potentially worth double the cost. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a PSU unless it was at least 1000w. You can shave $45 off the cost by going with the 850w Platinum model instead of the Titanium model: https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-platinum-sf-850f14mp-850w/p/1HU-024C-00036

Concur with the others, Superflower has a history of making top-notch power supplies rivaling Seasonic. Shouldn't go wrong with them.

It's decent but the Superflower Leadex III is higher quality. The rme is HEC built, not on par with Corsairs rmx CWT units and the price/warranty reflects it.
It should be fine for a 6800xt build, just not top of the line.

I guess I don’t understand why the 1000 although gold isn’t better given the above comments that there is minimal difference between titanium and gold?

I guess I don’t understand why the 1000 although gold isn’t better given the above comments that there is minimal difference between titanium and gold?
The rating isn't what makes the difference in a quality PSU, its the components used to build the unit. Different ratings signify efficiency not build quality. Platinum is slightly higher efficiency than gold, titanium is slightly higher than platinum.
For example, Corsairs CWT built rmx PSUs are as high quality as you can get, no matter the efficiency rating. They are among the best of the best. The rm/rme units are solid but a significant step below them build/component wise with the same efficiency.

Back