Sub $300 laptop

Gabe3

2[H]4U
Looking to get a laptop to install windows server on and learn how to use active directory. I'll dual boot windows 11. I have my eye on a older latitude from 2016. It has a 13" 1080p display, intel m7, 256gb ssd, 16gb memory, 2 usb c ports. $200. Can't really get much better than that for the money right? Only downside is the soldered memory.

Last edited:
Looking to get a laptop to install windows server on and learn how to use active directory. I'll dual boot windows 11. I have my eye on a older latitude from 2016. It has a 13" 1080p display, intel m7, 256gb ssd, 16gb memory, 2 usb c ports. $200. Can't really get much better than that for the money right? Only downside is the soldered memory.
You can use the $200 microsoft azure credit and not buy anything.

I had one of those briefly. They are bullet proof but real dogs in the performance department. What version of server are you going to run? I know it doesn't meet the requirements for windows server 2019+ but would probably run 2012R2

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had one of those briefly. They are bullet proof but real dogs in the performance department. What version of server are you going to run? I know it doesn't meet the requirements for windows server 2019+ but would probably run 2012R2
which requirement does it not meet? I assumed it would run it so maybe I'll use it for something else lol.

which requirement does it not meet? I assumed it would run it so maybe I'll use it for something else lol.

I think I am wrong. For some reason I was thinking the m series didnt have the VT-x stuff for LAHF/SAHF but apparently all post sandy bridge cpu's have it. No TPM 2.0 so no server 2022. That 1.2Ghz base clock is going to be a real kick in the peter, but it should still run.

Nice find btw, that thing would be great afterwords with peppermint on it!

I think I am wrong. For some reason I was thinking the m series didnt have the VT-x stuff for LAHF/SAHF but apparently all post sandy bridge cpu's have it. No TPM 2.0 so no server 2022. That 1.2Ghz base clock is going to be a real kick in the peter, but it should still run.

Nice find btw, that thing would be great afterwords with peppermint on it!
thanks for researching it, my brain is hurting from this cold I have to read much but I found a tpm 2.0 update for the 7370: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-13-7370-laptop/drivers

I'm curious how well the laptop will run with the high res display

thanks for researching it, my brain is hurting from this cold I have to read much but I found a tpm 2.0 update for the 7370: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/latitude-13-7370-laptop/drivers

I'm curious how well the laptop will run with the high res display
  • Max Resolution (HDMI)‡4096@2304@24Hz
  • Max Resolution (DP)‡3840x2160@60Hz
  • Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡3840x2160@60Hz
I don't think you will have a problem. Servers do not need monitors anyway :p

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
  • Max Resolution (HDMI)‡4096@2304@24Hz
  • Max Resolution (DP)‡3840x2160@60Hz
  • Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡3840x2160@60Hz
I don't think you will have a problem. Servers do not need monitors anyway :p
well I plan to use it as a PC after.