Studless TV mounting

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
I am planning a project in my basement that involves a wall mounted pc on an alcove wall. The sad thing is that this 24" wall is studless. Yet this is the only section I have where I can store the pc (long story). Drywall only.

This concept is getting nothing but good reviews on the internet saying it can hang 80-100lbs, but I have serious trust issues with anything not in a stud. The wall mounted case (thermaltake) weighs 22lbs, and maybe another 10 for the mobo, gpu, cpu aio, psu, so 35lbs total? Well under the limit, and I will probably try and use 2.

Has anyone used a studless TV mount?

example: $25
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-HANG-HANG...ocphy=9007585&hvtargid=pla-948953540080&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks kinda sketch to me, but I've never tried mounting something that heavy to only drywall.

You can get Twist-N-Lock 75lb drywall anchors from a place like home depot. They look a lot more heavy duty than what comes with that kit. I used some of them when I mounted my 77" TV and they were really solid, but I also hit a stud with other screws.

Ya that is some shady BS claims, as sharknice noted you can get proper drywall anchors if you must but I am curious how they did a large enough wall with no studs in it, is that not again building code?

I saw this pic recently,
TV fail.jpg

lol thats what i was gonna say would happen! the "safety cable" will ensure it rips a huge chunk of the wall out when it goes.

umm...
1670979326946.png

(from the amazon install pic)

edit: op, the best way would be to install a horizontal 2x4 between the end's 2x4 frame and mount to that. yes youd have to cut into the drywall, but patch it and its behind the tv anyways.

I saw this pic recently,
View attachment 534072
Rofls, while funny, it doesn't necessarily discount what I posted. They specifically tell you NOT to get a pull out mount. It's flush only, so you can't move it.

Looking at the mount in that picture, is not even meant to be studless. That's meant to be in the studs.

Reddit said to go for snap toggler, and I really like those. I'll use those and pair them with a flat mount.

As for this wall being studless, it's an alcove wall. So only 24 inches wide. No idea if there is a horizontal stud half way but that's far too low

Use a piece of plywood (or hard wood) that is larger than the mounting plate for the arm. Use toggle bolts at the corners of the board, as well as adhesive under it. You can paint the board to match your wall if you choose. Use woodscrews to mount the arm to the board.

Actually, whats stopping me from installing my own horizontal stud? Tear out the section of drywall where I want the mount to be, put in a custom fit 2x4, use braces at top, bottom, and front to connect horizontal stud to vertical stud.

We are going to be doing some drywall and new paint work anyways.

Actually, whats stopping me from installing my own horizontal stud? Tear out the section of drywall where I want the mount to be, put in a custom fit 2x4, use braces at top, bottom, and front to connect horizontal stud to vertical stud.

This. Can also run your wiring behind the wall too.

Drywall is cheap.

Yeah the only thing that matters is that there must be a stud at the ends of the wall. I'm pretty sure I found one with the stud finder. Would love to know how these drywalls are magically supporting themselves without a stud there

16s or 24s usually. just grab a key hole saw and start at one end until you find the other. XD

Yeah the only thing that matters is that there must be a stud at the ends of the wall. I'm pretty sure I found one with the stud finder. Would love to know how these drywalls are magically supporting themselves without a stud there
The magic of code violation.

Yeah but its not a huge wall, its an alcove. It starts at the left, goes 24" deep, 31 inches wide, then at the right you hit the main wall which has studs in it. But I don't want the pc on this wall, I want it on the other one

edit: op, the best way would be to install a horizontal 2x4 between the end's 2x4 frame and mount to that. yes youd have to cut into the drywall, but patch it and its behind the tv anyways.

Back