stress tester for retro AGP card

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
I have a dual Socket A retro project on the bench here hammering away at prime 95

I have the AGP HD 4650 in it and wanted to light that up as well, loaded FurMark and...only have OpenGL1.1, need 2.0

What was the go to GPU stress tester back in the day?

Maybe try Codecreatures or an old 3dmark.

Edit - Aquamark 3 might be good as well.

Last edited:
Maybe some older games like doom 3, UT 3 or so?

But futuremark normally has a nice demo loops. also dont forget the respective demos from ATI. Some of them are neat.

Last edited:
was the "latest" AMD driver off their site, 13-9-legacy_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc (though it did NOT install the CCC interface, just some gimped "AMD vision engine control center" with only 3 tabs.

it seemed odd to me too, but that is the error that furmark spit out at me when I tried to run the stress test and furmark doesn't detect the card, just

oh wait, poking around as I'm writing this, the driver is not taking, device manager is showing the generic MS driver...WTF?

That video card is one of the latest AGP cards produced and is a lot newer than the core of your dual socket A system. It claims to have OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10 support. You shouldn't really have to look very hard to find supported benchmarks. (3dmark vantage or earlier should work)

Radeon 9700/9800 cards would be generation-appropriate. :p

yeah, I know...

the 13-9 driver is not installing from AMD's published package, and the "previous versions" page is blank...thanks red team

I just put an 8800GTS in a different system and team green had a driver updated -7 days ago- that worked great

:mad:

Seems like AGP cards required a separate driver package, at least the HD2600 did. See if the site specifically list drivers for an AGP version of your card.

Update:
On this page there is separate entry for all AGP HD series Radeons on Step 3.

Last edited:
yes yes yes, I have been using the AGP package all along

finally found this on toms

I know this thread is old but i felt the need to post this info somewhere. I have seen nothing but never ending posts online about issue with the HD4650 AGP. Especially in Windows 7. I tried everything and anything over the span of 4 hours. From running a bare bones, setup to putting in a behemoth PSU and updating every driver possible on my system with no luck. Ive tried almost every catalyst package out there. Even the latest 11.6 Hotfix for all AGP cards failed giving me a BSOD. Never once would Catalyst actually install the HD4650 drivers. And alot of the times it would not install the catalyst control center either. Was always stuck with "Standard Display Adapter" in the device menu. Ive tried every possible fix and suggestion out there with no results. My final working result came from looking at trouble shooting posts on many message boards with just AGP cards in general. And dont quote me on this but a poster mentioned legacy support ended in Catalyst 10.12. Then i heard someone else say the manufacturer of their card told them to use catalyst 10.12. I was game so i tried yet another suite and failed miserably yet again with no results. Would not install the drivers period.

I tried one last thing. and heres what works. Run 10.12 catalyst and after it extracts to the temp dir then quite the installation. Head over to device manager and goto your adapter and choose update driver software. Then choose "browse my computer for software" Then use the option "Let me pick the drivers" followed by "Have Disk" option.

Then direct it to this file. C:\ATI\Support\10-12_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_ocl\Packages\drivers\Display\W7_INF\CL109808.inf Then scroll down the video cards listed until you get to the very first hd 4650 listing and choose that one. Then install anyways when windows says it might not work. Re boot and now the driver is in place and listed as a HD 4650 and displaying proper resolution etc. There another INF file below that one but i never even had to use it or even try it.

Now thats done grab that latest 11.6 Hotfix for all Radeon AGP cards from AMD. Extract and install but when installing YOU MUST CHOOSE "CUSTOM" install. Then make sure you deselect "Install drivers" (you already have one that works). Basically just install the control center ONLY. If you install driver it messes it up again. When finished reboot. And now you have a working 11.6 catalyst control center for your hd 4650 in windows 7.

Ive only posted this because info is REALLY limited out there for these cards and there issues. Ive seen where people have returned the card. I did not wann go that route so i didnt give up and i really hope this can help some people.
Sorry its not more detailed but im not into writing up stuff. I only signed up to post this info only. But for a few details of my specific situation is as follows.
MSI Board, Intel Chipset, AGP x8, 550 watt PSU and Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit edition. I dont know if this will work on the 64 bit edition but this definitely worked for me finally on the 32 bit version.

this worked under 13-9, the .inf number was different, I just used the first one of the two

quoting here in case it helps anyone else's search in the future

Back