Street Fighter V (Exclusive to PS4 and PC!)

Well this is good news that if we buy now we can get all characters for free in the future. I'm sick of dlc and I hope capcom didn't ruin this series like they did mega man..btw what are the best pc fighting games currently?
M.U.G.E.N, get a nice collection of weird and wonderful characters (along with some old classics). Always a good time if you have a few buddies over.

They just released pricing for some things (characters/costumes/etc.) I didn't see it called out specifically, but are these included if you got the Season Pass? If not, what is the Season Pass for? I got it, but I was never quite sure what it was good for... :D

Edit: Never mind. I just looked it up on Steam, and they FINALLY added the itemized contents. In short, yes, all the announced characters are included in it.

Now I'm curious to find out which other characters they may add later. I'd really like Akuma, and then I'd have my core set. (Ken, Juri, Akuma, Laura)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Season Pass only includes new stages and characters...which is a little bit weak considering they can be unlocked with in-game points. You can get enough for one character in something like 10 minutes of play time.

As far as new characters go, Sagat is currently being teased by Ono. Akuma seems like a given. With no "human projectile" characters in the game, I'd love to see either Honda or Blanka. Oro would be logical. Sodom seems like a fun fit, too.
I see any of the characters that have a full-screen speed rush being overkill, though. I can't imagine Yun or Makoto not being overkill unless their core moves were all made wide open on block. Even Abel's rolls could be maddening in the SF5 engine.

It also includes one alternate costume as well. Not sure how many total there will be though. I got a good deal on the package, so no big deal for me. At full price, I'd agree, unlocking would be the way to go.

Kinda sorta. Her moves aren't charge-based and they leave you more open if you throw them out at random. Blanka and Honda can go ham on about 1/3 of the cast and get jacked by the rest. I always think of Cammy as an "on patrol" character. Her whole schtick is just about walking back and forth and throwing out MK's until one lands. Either that or spamming dive-kick mixups.
Thinking about it, they haven't really made many Blanka/Honda clones. That goes across every SF, too. I guess Skullomania kinda was, but his moves weren't charge-based either. Probably a sign they aren't 100% happy with those character designs. It would be interesting to see what a motion version of Honda/Blanka might be like.

I played through all of Story Mode and well...it's interesting. I'm not sure if it's something I wanted or needed, but it's at least pretty polished. At 7GB, I'll probably end up deleting it as I don't really have much desire to ever play it again. At least once Juri and Urien are unlocked. For now that's the only way to play them. The whole thing takes about 90 minutes to complete, although if you skipped the cut scenes you could probably blow through it in 20 minutes. Lots of Karin matches and only 1 for about 1/2 the cast, which is kinda lame.
Balrog and Ibuki are both well done. Balrog is especially neat and he does huge chunks of damage. He has a little more Dudley'esque finesse, too.
Ibuki is less reliant on running patterns, but she does still have a bunch of chain combos and the ability to zoom behind you very quickly.

So I'm guessing all these updates make it worth it now lol

Maybe? The catch is that the other characters are still DLC. You either have to purchase them or spend a fair amount of time (like a LOT of time) unlocking them with in-game points.
Story mode is something you'll probably never play a 2nd time. At least outside the 3-4 battles that feature Urien and Juri.
The game is better than it was, but it's still a money grab. With all the bad press, you'd think the other characters would have just been free. But then the Season Pass people would have gotten screwed. Instead, everyone loses. They should have made all of the DLC characters free and given the Season Pass people all the other stuff (outfits, stages, colors, etc.) for free or even guaranteed them the 2nd set of DLC characters instead.

Wow...best ever made? That's a bold opinion :) Especially with it being the first revision.
I'd say that it's probably the middle of the pack for me. My faves are Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 2, Alpha 3, and SSF4. This one probably comes after those - close to 3rd Strike. 3rd Strike was a good game, but it was situational. It's a pretty ugly game outside of high-level competition.
This one feels like it wants to be like that but it's missing some sort of major game dynamic right now. I can absolutely see them tinkering with (or adding variations on) the V-skills and V-Triggers in the next year.

I have a set of favorites as well, but can't really rank between then. My favorites are SF2CE, SSF2, SFA2, SF3, SFV, USF4. Right now though I'm definitely playing SFV more than any of the others, and not just because it's new. It has a really nice feel to it I think. Can't wait to get the rest of my favorite characters, and then it might actually tip the scale completely. We'll see though. I haven't heard anything about Akuma being playable. Juri is on the way though, so that's cool.

I really wish they'd put the Chun Li playstation remix from Alpha into the soundtrack for SFV. It was so funky, like they hired Herbie Hancock or something. :D I'd pay for it as a DLC even.

As of right now Juri and Urien are the only confirmed new characters left.
It's all speculation, but based upon their current comments it seems like they're going to release those two over the next two months. They might even just spring them both at the same time in August. They're already 100% playable via hacks, although I guess neither has been balanced yet.
Once they're in the wild, the next step is (supposedly) a year 1 update patch. That could be as simple as fixing major issues, tweaking damage/properties, and maybe some frame-data adjustments. It could also involve new moves, game mechanics, modes, and characters, too. Tough to say for sure.
Some interviews from last year pointed to a 2nd batch of characters with a staggered release similar to Alex, Guile, Ibuki, Balrog, Juri, and Urien.
Nobody has any idea who those characters might be. Ono teased that Sagat might be one, but that's as much as anyone knows. The original list got leaked by some insiders, so I suspect we'll find out more once Capcom actually decides themselves.

EVO is going on this weekend. Should be interesting to see if anyone busts out any crazy tech they've been keeping secret for the last few months. It'll also be interesting to see if anyone can make it super far with the weaker characters like Zangief, FANG, and Laura.
They did announce a new DLC pack, but it's just another stage and costume set...which is exactly what we all needed :rolleyes:

I've played SF IV. How's the V single player mode?

It's still partially nonexistent. There are two variations on "story mode," but neither what you might expect. One involves playing 2-3 matches in the middle of a powerpoint. The opponents pretty much just stand there and let you wail on them. The other is a 2-hour cutscene where you play about 20 intermittent matches with random characters. It's much better, but it's a lot to wade through just to play the CPU.

PC gaming without Steam is an uphill if not impossible battle if you want to stay legit. You might be able to skip out on Origin/Uplay/GOG/Battle.net/etc. but not Steam.

PC gaming without Steam is an uphill if not impossible battle if you want to stay legit. You might be able to skip out on Origin/Uplay/GOG/Battle.net/etc. but not Steam.
I've been boycotting steam for over a decade and intend to keep it that way if possible. Are there any differences between the PC and the PS4 version? like input lag or how good the online play is? I'm leaning towards the PS4 version.

I've been boycotting steam for over a decade and intend to keep it that way if possible. Are there any differences between the PC and the PS4 version? like input lag or how good the online play is? I'm leaning towards the PS4 version.

From what I understand PS4 has a lil more input lag, and frane issues here and there.

PC is the superior version.

If you are going to boycott steam, you might as well just go console gaming from now on. That way you can use the PS4 DRM or Xbox one DRM, and keep boycotting the Steam DRM.

Either way you are fucked.

From what I understand PS4 has a lil more input lag, and frane issues here and there.

PC is the superior version.

If you are going to boycott steam, you might as well just go console gaming from now on. That way you can use the PS4 DRM or Xbox one DRM, and keep boycotting the Steam DRM.

Either way you are fucked.
This is my first time attempting to delve into a fighting game. I play a lot of MMO's and indie games that dont require steam. the DRM is just one minor reason why i boycott steam. If they had this game on origin I would buy it. I've already been slowly shifting towards playing more console games anyways since I'm a huge fan of games like pokemon, monster hunter and other JRPGS. Also more and more games as you said are steam exclusive now.

Thanks for letting me know re: the input lag though. the PS4 version of SFV is on sale on amazon right now I'm going to go to my local fry's to pick up a fightstick on sale and I'll see if they'll price match amazon on the game. if not i'll probably try out guilty gears or tekken.

This is my first time attempting to delve into a fighting game. I play a lot of MMO's and indie games that dont require steam. the DRM is just one minor reason why i boycott steam. If they had this game on origin I would buy it. I've already been slowly shifting towards playing more console games anyways since I'm a huge fan of games like pokemon, monster hunter and other JRPGS. Also more and more games as you said are steam exclusive now.

Thanks for letting me know re: the input lag though. the PS4 version of SFV is on sale on amazon right now I'm going to go to my local fry's to pick up a fightstick on sale and I'll see if they'll price match amazon on the game. if not i'll probably try out guilty gears or tekken.

Try out Mortal Kombat for the PS4. Great game, and the consoles are the best version. WB dropped all PC support. Great fighting game.

I also highly recommend Killer Instinct on PC. Great fighting game as well.

Boycotting Steam? Weird... I mean, that's your right I suppose, but Valve has done more for PC gaming in the last decade than just about anyone. Sure they don't really make games anymore (jerks) but Steam has advanced PC gaming a ridiculous amount. Just click and you're playing. (or don't you remember what things were like right around when Steam hit its stride? Securom, root-kits, safe-disc, optical drives dying, games refusing to launch without finding a no-cd patch on legitimate copies. I mean, long before those issues, PC gaming took a little skill, but was still great as is. Once all the DRM started hitting though, it was getting pretty ridiculous with everyone using their own schemes. We ceased actually owning games once extended EULAs came into place. So why not enjoy the benefits of using a digital service.

I was personally boycotting Origin, just because I didn't like having to have multiple accounts to play my games. However, Mirror's Edge was too big for me to pass up (being a fan of the original.) I've actually realized that it's not that bad though, and hasn't caused me any problems. So I was largely just being silly. Fuck uPlay though. Not touching it. :p

Back on topic, EVO is over now. Lots and lots of Nash and Chun Li. I don't care for Fuudo's style in Street Fighter 4, but I was hoping he'd pull it out last night. Love the zaniness.
Lots of skill on display, but man does it ever get stale watching Chun Li do the same sequence over and over and over. Toward the end I was just pulling for anyone not using her.
If nothing else, I think we saw SF5's weaknesses in full view. About 1/3 of the cast isn't feasible at the highest of levels, but the others can typically hang with one another. Even with no Ryu or Ken in top 8, that seemed more like chance than anything else. Seems like Nash, Chun Li, Necalli, Karin, Ryu, and Ken are the characters of choice. Mika, Rashid, Vega, Cammy, and Birdie can hang if played very well. The rest are going to take some luck with Zangief and Laura being particularly weak.

Hopefully Capcom can take what we saw and make some changes. I don't even think it'll take a ton. Some very basic frame tweaks can fix Zangief.
In order to keep the game from getting stale, that's going to need something else. Multiple supers, v-triggers, and v-isms would do the trick, but then they'd have to re-balance all of that too.

Anyone get their fightstick to work properly on Windows 10? My original MadCatz TE stick (the one that came out with SF4) was working fine with x360ce on Windows 8. However, since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I can't get it working. Any ideas?

SF5 is just not as exciting to watch at a high level of play as 4 was. I would say last years EVO finals was so much more exciting. SF5 is a step backwards IMO. I'm also annoyed that they are calling the story mode an "expansion". No mother fucker, this should have been there day 1.

Last edited:
Boycotting Steam? Weird... I mean, that's your right I suppose, but Valve has done more for PC gaming in the last decade than just about anyone. Sure they don't really make games anymore (jerks) but Steam has advanced PC gaming a ridiculous amount. Just click and you're playing. (or don't you remember what things were like right around when Steam hit its stride? Securom, root-kits, safe-disc, optical drives dying, games refusing to launch without finding a no-cd patch on legitimate copies. I mean, long before those issues, PC gaming took a little skill, but was still great as is. Once all the DRM started hitting though, it was getting pretty ridiculous with everyone using their own schemes. We ceased actually owning games once extended EULAs came into place. So why not enjoy the benefits of using a digital service.

I was personally boycotting Origin, just because I didn't like having to have multiple accounts to play my games. However, Mirror's Edge was too big for me to pass up (being a fan of the original.) I've actually realized that it's not that bad though, and hasn't caused me any problems. So I was largely just being silly. Fuck uPlay though. Not touching it. :p
If you're really curious as to why I don't mind telling you via PM. but most people disagree with my reasoning.

I just got the game on PS4. whats the fastest way to earn fight money?

I think the main issue with SF5 is that it's coming after Ultra SF4. A game that did most things right.
We went from like 40 characters down to 15. We went from multiple ultras and a zany attack mechanic that extended combos to very basic sequences. We went from a decade of balancing to a first attempt...hence like 95% of the tournament used the same 5 characters.
We also went from a full game to one that has become a glorified pay-as-you-go system. They're trickling characters out that should have shipped with the game. We were sold a game that wasn't finished and most of the updates (except that screwy "story mode") aren't free.

In hindsight, it's easy to say this - but they should have held SF5 back a year. Ultra SF4 was still going strong. Some of the final updates were less than a year old. Nobody was clamoring for a new game yet.
The original free to play model was changed late in the game, so we got to pay $60 for the game AND pay for new characters, stages, costumes, etc. We got 1/3 of the characters we should have gotten. We got 1/3 of the game modes we should have gotten. We probably only got 1/3 of the game mechanics we should have gotten, too.

I like the game, but when you compare it to every other fighting game out there, it's unfinished. Yet it costs the same if not more than all of the others. As much as Tekken 7 might feel "late" at least the game will be complete when it launches. Ditto with the new MK, KOF, Injustice, etc.

If you're really curious as to why I don't mind telling you via PM. but most people disagree with my reasoning.

I just got the game on PS4. whats the fastest way to earn fight money?

Nah, not necessary. You're free to have your reasons even if I personally disagree, or don't understand them. As far as fight money goes, not sure. Probably just online matches I'm guessing. I only play local VS with friends and family.

The quickest ways to earn fight money are the individual story modes. You can blow through all of those in 15-20 minutes total. Just skip the slideshows. Each character only has to fight 1-3 matches and the opponents more or less just stand there.
From there, the survival mode on easy isn't too bad as well. I've completed it with about 1/2 the cast and could probably do it with the others if I wanted.
The main story mode gives you some, too. It's roughly 90 minutes from beginning to end, but you can skip the cutscenes if you want. If you did that, it might take 30 minutes to complete.
Just doing all of that should be enough to net you 2 DLC characters and Guile's background. You might even be able to get 3 DLC characters but I'm not sure.

I've stopped playing ranked matches, but playing online casuals gives you next to nothing fight-money wise. You only get more when you level up. I'm at level 33 and it takes like 50 matches to level up now.

Does anyone know how to get mic working for pc vs PS4 ?

I haven't had any luck with that on my end. In fact, I don't think I've heard anyone else using a mic in this game to date. I used to get borderline death threats in SF4.

I'm having trouble understanding why you'd WANT to do that. :p

In my case, I do play with a couple friends and right now we're actually using the Xbox One party chat to communicate...while I'm on the PC and he's on the PS4. It would be nice if we could just talk via the in-game chat.
I have to admit I do kinda miss getting people's direct reactions, too. I love to taunt and torture the poor souls that keep trying to run away or spam out. If I could hear them I'm sure it would be hilarious.
Plus, I'd probably like to tell at least a few people that they're pretty damned good, too.

Um want to be able to communicate with friends while beating them up....so this game does not support any voice chat for pc vs ps4?! What other option is there then....

Um want to be able to communicate with friends while beating them up....so this game does not support any voice chat for pc vs ps4?! What other option is there then....

Beyond using voice chat on another console (like the PSN or XBL) or using a phone - none at the moment. The PC version doesn't seem to support voice chat at all. Not even with other PC gamers as far as I can tell. No clue about the PS4 version, but it sounds like ti might not either.

Wow that's pretty terrible for an online game....what fun is playing sf vs your friends and not being able to talk smack...so lame

Yeah, the lack of voice is odd. I know that in SF4 it caused latency issues. Knowing Capcom, it was easier to just remove it than to fix it. I'm sure the cross-platform via PC and PS4 likely presented some new issues, too.

Juri is now available. After not really caring for her in SF4, I kinda like her in this game. Instead of simply inspiring frustration and capitalizing on it, she is more of a pressure character. Aggressive but not a ton of defense. The pinwheel no longer feels quite as exploitable and her fireballs use a different mechanic rather than holding buttons. I'd prefer some different characters, but I don't think she was a bad choice.

Back