Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Domingo

Fully [H]
Anyone else pick this up? It's both fantastic and kinda lame at the same time.
It contains nearly arcade-perfect versions of every arcade Street Fighter to date. It also includes online play for Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 3, and Third Strike.
On the downside, the arcade version of Alpha 3 is missing more than 1/2 the characters that they ended up adding to the console versions. The various modes are also incredibly sparse and they didn't even bother including punch or kick X3 buttons either. Online play is spotty and hopefully you don't plan on playing Super Turbo competitively since Akuma is available.
Old glitches like the Guile handcuffs, invisible throw, statue, endless hurricane, and invisible Dhalsim are gone, too.
As someone who already has all of these games setup in Final Burn Alpha, I'd also mention that the visual settings are kinda weak. The DX9 video blitter on FBA looks better and smoother than anything this game has to offer. The sound is better, too.

At the very least I hope they end up adding X3 buttons and remove online ST Akuma at some point. You can rig X3 buttons on the PC, but console people are out of luck.

It's probably a great buy for fans, but I tend to think most hardcore fans probably still have most of these games in one form or another.

I watched some gameplay from this last night on the PS4 version. Seemed like Super Turbo has speed issues/mixups. Also noticed sound bugs throughout, along with some missing music.

Was excited for this, but it seems the implementation was half-assed. You'd think Capcom would have taken the time to do it right, celebrating 30 years of a beloved franchise.

Capcom is just one step slightly above Konami when it comes to handling their own IP that made them famous. Every now and then they'll do it right, but more often than not its a soulless cash grab with minimal effort.

They're clearly using emulation since a fair number of arcade-exclusive quirks are still present. Most of the BIG glitches (handcuffs, etc.) got fixed in later arcade revisions anyway.

Apparently the preview version sent to big names in the community didn't even have training mode. That was added after the fact, so at least they're listening to complaints.
Hopefully they don't bail on this sans additional patches and fixes. I don't expect to ever see Alpha 3 MAX's 10+ other characters, but I do hope the game gets another coat of paint before they call it done.
I play Alpha 3 somewhat seriously for a few days a year and it's kinda lame this version is missing like 1/3 of the cast.

I bought it to support it. It's cheap enough given what you're given. I just want to see Capcom bring more of the content to PC/Steam. Still pissed they didn't bring MvC 1 and 2 or the Darkstalkers Collection.

I'm not sure I'd consider $40 a good deal for emulated ports of a bunch of games that have already been released a multitude of times. In many cases (like HD Remix, Alpha 3 MAX, the 360 port of Hyper, and the previous online versions of Third Strike) done better. A bare bones Alpha 3 w/ online play is the only unique item.
It feels like a $20-30 title to me.

It's pretty awesome if you are a SF nerd. I've had a blast playing online. Hit me up on steam if you want to play.

If I didn't have the MAME setup I have that's configured 100% to work with my X-Arcade sticks already, I'd pick this up. I just honestly wouldn't use it over that though. I did dump tons of money into SFIV and SFV though, so I don't feel too bad. Not to mention I'd have to use a hack just to get the X-Arcade sticks to work with SFV because Capcom is ignoring requests to get it working... It would bother me to buy this and not be able to use the proper stick setup.

I'm not sure I'd consider $40 a good deal for emulated ports of a bunch of games that have already been released a multitude of times. In many cases (like HD Remix, Alpha 3 MAX, the 360 port of Hyper, and the previous online versions of Third Strike) done better. A bare bones Alpha 3 w/ online play is the only unique item.
It feels like a $20-30 title to me.

It breaks down to like $3.50 a title. If you wanna support the idea that Capcom uses sales to determine support...then, it's worth it. To each their own, and there's always money to be saved in the Steam Sale (*tried a way to word it with Banana Stand).

Capcom is just one step slightly above Konami when it comes to handling their own IP that made them famous. Every now and then they'll do it right, but more often than not its a soulless cash grab with minimal effort.
I dunno, I think Konami is quite the opposite of Capcom. Capcom has tons of old intellectual property that it actively rehashes, Konami is more interested in pachinko and destroying their last remaining video game IPs (Metal Gear) than they are with rehashing those old IPs. So many good Super Nintendo games with that Konami logo, so much wasted cash grab potential.

It breaks down to like $3.50 a title. If you wanna support the idea that Capcom uses sales to determine support...then, it's worth it. To each their own, and there's always money to be saved in the Steam Sale (*tried a way to word it with Banana Stand).

In my case, I do like to show support, and I’d but this just for that if they fix SFV to support the X-Arcade sticks. I could buy $60 worth of adapters and get it working without software hacks, which I may actually do at some point, but all they (Capcom) have to do is fix their key mapping. I mean it’s a fighting game, and that’s one of the more popular setups.

In my case, I do like to show support, and I’d but this just for that if they fix SFV to support the X-Arcade sticks. I could buy $60 worth of adapters and get it working without software hacks, which I may actually do at some point, but all they (Capcom) have to do is fix their key mapping. I mean it’s a fighting game, and that’s one of the more popular setups.

Does Steam Big Picture not correct it?

Does Steam Big Picture not correct it?

I was thinking this, too. You can configure buttons on most controllers, although some things are still a little janky (especially if you use both PS4 and Xbox controllers). I added x3 buttons for Anniversary this way. Zangief without an x3 button is pretty much toast on a pad.

I didn't try that specifically, but I think SFV is XInput only. The X-Arcade sticks rely on keyboard mapping, which is definitely not optimal in this day and age. However, it was pretty standard for arcade setups, and was supported in SFIV from what I understand. SFV does support the keyboard, but there's something weird about it, and it doesn't map all of the X-Arcade's input for whatever reason. There are some known workarounds, I just prefer it to work out of the box so to speak. If I buy the adapters though, I can just run on XInput anyway, and that opens a few other doors, (which is why I'll probably go that route). In the meantime I just play SFV with XBOne pads. Works fine, just not my preference.

I bought it to support it. It's cheap enough given what you're given. I just want to see Capcom bring more of the content to PC/Steam. Still pissed they didn't bring MvC 1 and 2 or the Darkstalkers Collection.

Disney.

Anywho, I bought this, despite having like 3 different emulators, to play in the living room, and to play online against new people. They REALLY need to let you create a lobby for only the game you want to play, but otherwise it seems fine. I'm okay at ST, but no expert, so small differences are probably getting by me.

I know it's because of Disney. But, there was a moment they relicensed everything for a bit. It would have been nice to extend that to PC.

I know it's because of Disney. But, there was a moment they relicensed everything for a bit. It would have been nice to extend that to PC.
I agree, but it has to be them, Capcom is ALL about rereleasing all of their old cash cows, no other way they wouldn't have by now.

Well, Capcom hasn't re-ported or offered the Original versions of Resident Evil 1 - 3 or Code Veronica on PC/Steam. So...they don't seem to love money THAT much.

Supposedly Capcom is planning more updates for this game. Not sure I expect anything major, but hopefully we'll at least get formal x3 buttons. "Real" emulators have 'em.

I was playing around last night and was surprised to discover that the glitches from the original game are completely intact. Handcuffs, invisible throw, statue, etc.
Not sure why, but I figured those things were going to be removed. I think it's actually kind of cool that they left them in.

They just announced the remake of RE2 at E3 last weekend...

*Sigh*

Some of us want the originals too. I don't even care if they are bare minimum ports with simply controller support and 4x3 only. I just want an archive of the franchise on one platform. I also really enjoy the originals.

*Sigh*

Some of us want the originals too. I don't even care if they are bare minimum ports with simply controller support and 4x3 only. I just want an archive of the franchise on one platform. I also really enjoy the originals.

Grab a copy of ePSXe, and you can have them on your PC. I think playing the originals under emulation is probably better than a bad port. Plus you can map controls, bump up the resolution a bit, etc. etc. You can also rip your discs for archival purposes, and play from those (if you have original discs that you want to protect). You can also run from the original discs too if you're worried about that sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab a copy of ePSXe, and you can have them on your PC. I think playing the originals under emulation is probably better than a bad port. Plus you can map controls, bump up the resolution a bit, etc. etc. You can also rip your discs for archival purposes, and play from those (if you have original discs that you want to protect). You can also run from the original discs too if you're worried about that sort of thing.

I want to buy them and give them money. I'm aware of emulation. It doesn't solve the problem of giving Capcom money. Again, I would gladly buy re-ports of 1 - Code Veronica with basic controller support.

This is similar to me as support the OT of Star Wars, or offering both the unmodded original Balder's Gate with the EE.

I feel if Capcom was purely honest and upfront about these ports prior to release, people won't be that angry. Especially, with the remakes available.

I have zero interest in an RE3 remake. Veronica HD is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:
I want to buy them and give them money. I'm aware of emulation. It doesn't solve the problem of giving Capcom money. Again, I would gladly buy re-ports of 1 - Code Veronica with basic controller support.

This is similar to me as support the OT of Star Wars, or offering both the unmodded original Balder's Gate with the EE.

I feel if Capcom was purely honest and upfront about these ports prior to release, people won't be that angry. Especially, with the remakes available.

I have zero interest in an RE3 remake. Veronica HD is perfectly acceptable.

Gotcha, I’m all for supporting a company, if they feel like giving me something I like. If not, I’ll go rogue :D

It would be nice to have libraries of the old games ready to play on modern hardware AND reimaginings.

They just announced the remake of RE2 at E3 last weekend...
It was revealed last weekend. The announcement was 3 years ago.
That is what I do. I'm not averse to giving Capcom more money for these amazing games, though. It sounds like they're making improvements to the 30th Anniversary Collection, so I may pick it up at some point soon.

Capcom could release a Resident Evil Classic Collection, that contains the 3 PSX titles (Possible GBA Resident Evil Easter Egg Port). And, then, finally, release the HD Port of Veronica. I'll then shut up any other demands from Capcom about Resident Evil.

Supposedly Capcom is planning more updates for this game. Not sure I expect anything major, but hopefully we'll at least get formal x3 buttons. "Real" emulators have 'em.

I was playing around last night and was surprised to discover that the glitches from the original game are completely intact. Handcuffs, invisible throw, statue, etc.
Not sure why, but I figured those things were going to be removed. I think it's actually kind of cool that they left them in.

There were no x3 buttons in the arcade, why do we need them now?

I'm more waiting for an updated Capcom VS SNK myself

There were no x3 buttons in the arcade, why do we need them now?

I'm more waiting for an updated Capcom VS SNK myself

Because most players are using gamepads and it's damn near impossible to hit 3 buttons at the same time when one of them is a shoulder button. It's why literally every single version of the game has had a x3 input or allowed x2 buttons to work like x3 for things like Balrog's turn punch or Zangief's lariat.

They released a small update for this on Steam yesterday. I can't tell what (if anything) it did on the surface. There are no mentions of it on any SF websites or the Steam forums.

It's honestly a bit of a farce, capcom basically gave some roms and artwork to a third party dev, they super glued it together and shoved it on steam. The matchmaking is a total farce, the game takes nothing into consideration in terms of "rank" or ping and shoves you into games against players on the other side of the planet lagging all over the show, or people that have hundreds of wins, even if it's your first game. Casual games are non existent for the most part , lobbies rarely appear, so it's all a ranked points circle jerk.

No hd remix audio or graphics options (yes this was a home system thing but for pc having an option to have better graphics isn't a bad thing), the difficulty for ssf2t is bugged and changing it makes no difference (same issue on the arcades with the initial release which this rom is from). Sad thing is Ultra sf2 on the switch had better options in terms of setting regions so you could get decent online games that didn't farcically lag all over the place.

For a supposed 30th anniversary product it's incredibly lacking, no thought was put into it whatsoever. It's totally bare bones and lacks and kind of options to make online play actually fun, it's just a total crap shoot if you get "matched" against someone at your skill level and who's not in fucking unga bunga land playing on a 56k modem.

Surely giving you the option to accept to play who you're matched against should be a must? Showing you their location and rank should give you an idea if its worth playing them rather than going into the game, finding its lagging and the game taking points off you for quitting out.

It's a start but needs much more than those paltry offerings.

I agree 100%, but I doubt Capcom will do anything more. Final Burn Alpha running on a PC from 10 years ago produces better results and will even work online for ALL of the games via Kaillera. It can also run the Darkstalkers games and all of the Marvel & SNK games except MvC2. There's so little new content in this port that it's hard to be impressed by it.
At this point having X3 buttons is about all I can hope for. There's no way they're going to overhaul the online menus or add Alpha 3 Max no matter what people clamor for.

Back