Strange how Win reports vram usage and amount these days? Or has it always been this way

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

yea i guess the cards vram is just the shared system or gpu memory....Only reason i was checking cause AB seems to think my cards is using 13GB of Vram which is impossible right?

That looks like what's reported when HBC is enabled on Vega cards...
could be right.....i just checked
Capture.JPG

I have done like a dozen driver updates with zero cleaning of any kind. I dont remember turning it on.....I guess it throws in system memory into the vram amount some how? ANother good question is how or why itsusing up so much vram to begin with....i guess a bit of driver memory leak? earlier today and in the past it was maxing out under 8GB

That looks like what's reported when HBC is enabled on Vega cards...
I reset it to default and did a reboot....my fps went back up a fps i had earlier in the game. Dont think its a setting that has a lot of benefit with my current setup

I reset it to default and did a reboot....my fps went back up a fps i had earlier in the game. Dont think its a setting that has a lot of benefit with my current setup
Yeah the additional HBC only helps in situations where the game/app actually needs more than the 8GB of on-package VRAM (like needs not just allocates), otherwise it does nothing or can hurt performance. The only time I ever noticed it helping performance in a game was with Cyberpunk 2077- and that's only because that game both reacts unusually poorly to running out of Vram, and runs out of VRAM with ease.
AFAIK, HBC was really meant for folx who are doing rendering & science stuff on Vega cards and not really for gamerz; they just include it in the "gaming" driver because they can and it provides a value-add for ppl who are doing things other than gamez on their cards.

It's difficult to not go off on a wild tangent here because AMDs vision for what they wanted Vega to be, and how they set up the memory controller to accommodate that, is significantly different from normal GPUs and makes no sense for a gaming card so it's much easier to just recommend disabling the HBCC segment lol

Last edited:
Back