Strange device in windows networking

M76

[H]F Junkie
An unknown device has appeared in my windows networking under Phones in "view network computers and devices"

I don't know what to do, how can I find out what is this, and how is it connected to my network? Windows shows no ip address for it, just a device name and a mac address, and the device does not appear in the connected devices list of my router.

The model shown by windows is Huawei BG2-W09 which comes back as a tablet based on a quick google search, but I don't even own a tablet. Was my wifi network hacked or WTF?

Change your wifi password and reboot the router and all the devices on the network. Check to see if it's gone. If not, another dirty chinese hack gets its prey...

Change your wifi password and reboot the router and all the devices on the network. Check to see if it's gone. If not, another dirty chinese hack gets its prey...
I changed my wifi password on sunday, have not seen the device since.
But the question remains. Why did I not see it on the connected devices list in my router?
And how did they gain access? Did they brute force my wifi passphrase? Why isn't there brute force protection in a linksys router? Should I replace my router?

Since you changed the password, they can no longer connect. It was probably not listed on the connected devices because it did not have an IP.

As far as gaining access, that's anyone's guess. I would think it was via some flaw in the linksys, so I'd either up/down grade the firmware so that same exploit won't be there. All consumer devices are hackable, and really any device is if you know it's weakness and can exploit it. A better question is why would someone want to hack you? Why are you the target?

Reactions: M76
like this
Since you changed the password, they can no longer connect. It was probably not listed on the connected devices because it did not have an IP.

As far as gaining access, that's anyone's guess. I would think it was via some flaw in the linksys, so I'd either up/down grade the firmware so that same exploit won't be there. All consumer devices are hackable, and really any device is if you know it's weakness and can exploit it. A better question is why would someone want to hack you? Why are you the target?
I'd suspect a crafty teenager in the neighborhood looking for free wifi rather than any targeted attack. Judging by the connected device being a cheap tablet.

Back