Steam Summer sale

All of the games listed I still like my Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
and the new games Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts both are good for immersion and use Crytek engine.
I fired up Sniper Elite 4 last week but Sniper Ghost Warrior series is better.

Hunt Showdown is good but the learning curve could drive someone nuts =) PVP

Dark Souls clones
Code Vein, is awesome
Sekiro Shadows Die twice, really a hard game for me anyway never finished it
The Surge 2, this game is pretty epic
Waiting for Nioh 2 in November if it even lands on that month.

Last edited:
I'm getting the itch to go on a RTS/Strategy game binge soon. I've always seen that genre as the most connected to the PC platform. Got AoE 1 and 2 remastered, Company of Heroes 2, X-Com 2 (and War of the Chosen), already have Civ 6.

Any other recommendations?

Also, how have they not made a modern Star Wars RTS or turn-based strategy game!? Money/licensing of course, but still, seems like the perfect franchise for it.

I think a Star Wars 4x type game could be awesome, especially if they don't make it over-complicated. Sadly, EA has the lock on Star Wars games and I don't want to see what sort of atrocity they would commit by making a 4x game.

I think a Star Wars 4x type game could be awesome, especially if they don't make it over-complicated. Sadly, EA has the lock on Star Wars games and I don't want to see what sort of atrocity they would commit by making a 4x game.
I seem to recall playing one way back when, can't recall the name, but needless to say Master of Orion it was not.

But yeah, I think EA bought the rights to the franchise which means they're only going to make things that can come out quick, has the option for microtransactions, and doesn't require a lot of effort on their part to do (e.g. Madden)

I'm getting the itch to go on a RTS/Strategy game binge soon. I've always seen that genre as the most connected to the PC platform. Got AoE 1 and 2 remastered, Company of Heroes 2, X-Com 2 (and War of the Chosen), already have Civ 6.

Also, how have they not made a modern Star Wars RTS or turn-based strategy game!? Money/licensing of course, but still, seems like the perfect franchise for it.

Star Wars Empire at War is the newest sadly and still playable. There are several good mods for it. It is on steam and GoG.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/32470/STAR_WARS_Empire_at_War__Gold_Pack/

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_empire_at_war_gold_pack

I finally bit on HL:Alyx..
Price was the best its been with the $5 coupon. I was worried it woudlnt play well on my Samsung Odyssey+ but hooooly crap HLA is amazing.

RTS is pretty much a dead genre unfortunately, there seems to have been a generational shift away from them, the ROI isn't there anymore like it is for games tuned for goldfish attention spans ala Fortnite.

The only big new RTS thing on the horizon with good visuals looks like its going to be Iron Harvest, but that's not until September 1.

So can we not combine Steam Wallet with the $5 off? When I tried to do that the price went up by $5. Trying to buy a $40 item, was $35 in the cart, selected Steam Wallet, price shot back up to $40 minus the Steam Wallet. Less than $1 anyway, just find it odd.

OUTRIDERS - $47.56
Subtotal$59.99
Discount-$10.80( -18%)
-$4.11Part of your $5.00 discount was applied to this purchase
Tax$2.48

Total
$47.56

That is what I got with my only purchase looks like the entire discount wasn't used for some reason.

So I'm confused with how this $5 thing off. Does it not work with PayPal? I have an item, shows $34.60 after applying Steam Wallet. Get to the PayPal checkout screen and it shows $39.40. Essentially, the $5 is not applying.

Is it just a visual bug and will they actually only charge $34.60 or what? Haven't bought anything yet this sale.

Edit: Took 3 more attempts. Looks like it worked on the 4th try.

Last edited:
Bought all the DLC for Fallout New Vegas....it was cheap. I'm done.
I really liked most of the DLC for that. Old world blues was my favorite and had a great 50's sci-fi vibe, honest hearts explained Caesar's background which I never quite got in the main game. Lonesome road was good too but dead money was a bit of a slog IMO.

I really liked most of the DLC for that. Old world blues was my favorite and had a great 50's sci-fi vibe, honest hearts explained Caesar's background which I never quite got in the main game. Lonesome road was good too but dead money was a bit of a slog IMO.

Have yet to play them. A question though, should they be played before beating the original main quest?

Have yet to play them. A question though, should they be played before beating the original main quest?
I don't recall exactly but I either played them after the main game or right before hitting the point of no return. It worked well but I do remember thinking it might be nice to do old world blues earlier for some of the rewards. Mainly the player base

I picked up the Halo Master Chief collection for $28 after tax. Seemed like a decent deal for 3-4 game bundle.

Bought

Double Switch - 25th Anniversary Edition
Ghost of a Tale
Telling Lies
Night in the Woods
Katamari Damacy REROLL
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
The Legend of Bum-Bo

all games that I had on my wishlist I think I spend around 50 or less, more crap to add to the backlog :hungover::bored:

I got Divinity Original Sin Enhanced and Remnant From the Ashes. Playing Remnant and have been really enjoying the game.

I ended up getting:

-Trover Saves the Universe
-Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
-Arizona Sunshine - The Damned DLC
-Arizona Sunshine - Deluxe Upgrade
-Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Definitive Edition
-Don't Starve Together

I grabbed:

Gorogoa - Pretty neat puzzle game.
Katana Zero - I usually love these types of games but it's a solid meh; might refund it.
The Outer Wilds - I've not put much time into it yet. It's neat but it doesn't seem like much fun.
Sekiro - It's really cool but it makes Dark Souls seem easy. I have 3 hours in it now and haven't made it through the boss door yet.....

I got Divinity Original Sin Enhanced and Remnant From the Ashes. Playing Remnant and have been really enjoying the game.
I picked up divinity original sin 2 in the multi pack for like $23.....any good ?

I had to stop myself from buying anything that I had the slightest hint I might not play in the next few months. Buying during the pandemic is somewhat dangerous. I picked up Rivals of Aether, and that's definitely been my favorite buy this sale.

That was a great sale. I picked up quite a few little things. Honestly though I would have bought more but Steam absolutely needs to revamp their Wishlist format! It would be SO helpful if we could have multiple, user-labeled wishlists. Right now I have a single list with over 300 items on it for various reasons that I'd love to be able to separate out . Just having a "Only sold on Steam directly, waiting for sales" list alone would make these events much easier.

Oh b y the way, keep your eyes open on other sites now as many press hard in the post-Steam sale timeframes to implement their own sales. I think Humble will be having their summer sale soon for instance.

I picked up divinity original sin 2 in the multi pack for like $23.....any good ?

I played about 20 minutes of the first one just to see if I would like it. Enjoyed what I played. Its a mix of turn base combat with free roam when not in combat. There are several classes to pick from and dialog options with the NPCs. Seems like an RPG that will really let you sink in and explore the narrative.

Remember when "Steam Sale" threads would be like 20+ pages long?

Now I just use Steam to activate my games that I got for cheap from other sites like cdkeys, etc.

I miss Steam's old Summer/Winter sales, where big name titles were often on sale for 80-90% off. Steam sales have gotten very "meh" over the last few years... but on the bright side, I guess we save a lot more by not impulse buying a bunch of stuff.
They've mostly gotten meh for me because I'm slowly owning everything that I want. It's rare that I go "all out" anymore. Granted, I did just step into the world of VR. So, most of my purchases this year was just building up that library. Though, the sales on that end weren't great. Kinda mad Beat Saber didn't see any sort of discount.

I miss Steam's old Summer/Winter sales, where big name titles were often on sale for 80-90% off. Steam sales have gotten very "meh" over the last few years... but on the bright side, I guess we save a lot more by not impulse buying a bunch of stuff.

My thoughts exactly. The old school Steam sales were fun. It was exciting to check every day at the refresh, and watch the flash sales. I think it also made developers and publishers more willing to give steeper discounts knowing that those discounts are going to last only 24 hours (or less), instead of setting a price that lasts two weeks.

That said... I have so much shit in my still library that I bought because, why the hell wouldn't I buy it for 90% off. Turns out, 90% off is still a bad deal if you never play it, which is the case for the majority of the things I bought.

My thoughts exactly. The old school Steam sales were fun. It was exciting to check every day at the refresh, and watch the flash sales. I think it also made developers and publishers more willing to give steeper discounts knowing that those discounts are going to last only 24 hours (or less), instead of setting a price that lasts two weeks.

That said... I have so much shit in my still library that I bought because, why the hell wouldn't I buy it for 90% off. Turns out, 90% off is still a bad deal if you never play it, which is the case for the majority of the things I bought.
There were games I'd pick up because they were cheap and I ended up not liking them but I also ended finding some games that I really liked even though I thought that I wouldn't. In the end I think the money I wasted was more than balanced out by the games I would have payed more for if I had known I would like them as well as I did.

I don't think the Steam sales have nearly the deals that they did when they daily and flash sales but I generally don't buy directly from Steam anymore, I get most of my games direct from the publisher or from sites like Fanatical or Indie Gala since they tend to have better deals.

Bought

Double Switch - 25th Anniversary Edition
Ghost of a Tale
Telling Lies
Night in the Woods
Katamari Damacy REROLL
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
The Legend of Bum-Bo

all games that I had on my wishlist I think I spend around 50 or less, more crap to add to the backlog :hungover::bored:
Katamari Damacy is a deceptively short game. It only take a couple hours to beat, but I ended up with almost 60 hours played, primarily to get the achievement for picking up all 1400+ items in the game :oops:

I mean you can get it far cheaper you're willing to play it offline on one of those weird "it's not your own steam profile" deals but I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.
They're usually shared accounts and you can't go online with them. I guess for an offline game it would be fine but the person you buy the account from could just kick you off and change the password at any time

Back