Steam Deck officially announced by Valve

Reserved a 512, may or may not go through with it. Have a Laptop on order with a 5800h and 3070 (that's already missed shipments and pushed back twice, so may end up canceling), So it might be a good alternative if I end up not getting the laptop.

I assume there will be a ton of deposits but a lot of people will end up not buying , but are reserving just in case they want one.

View attachment 375634

Buttons disabled as these messages popped up one by one. I still have one in cart trying to check out but looks like the reservations are maxed for this round. :(
Mine looked like that and still let me order, may actually have your order in progress which is why the buttons are blocked (that's what mine looks like after order went through, but with a cancel reservation button now)

That is a weird error.... I am sure with 16 years of service, and you must have bought at least one game.. Unless when you bought HL2, that purchase doesn't count.... However, I highly doubt a 16 year account has one game.
Yeah. Half-Life 2 launch account. 444 Games, 600 something DLCs. Steam Level 65.
Their system is just bugging out.

My checkout just flipped back to the original error.
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 1.31.13 PM.png

But after hitting CONTINUE again im getting to too many attempts error again.
Bleh.

View attachment 375634

Buttons disabled as these messages popped up one by one. I still have one in cart trying to check out but looks like the reservations are maxed for this round. :(
Weird. For me it showed that text but the buttons remained visible. I'm at work and was distracted by a customer and didn't check until 10:20PST, but I was able to get my reservation in...

I guess you are GPU limited on that device most of the time anyway.

A Ryzen 4750G (8C/16T, 8 Vega CUs) costs $399 on Amazon which is the same price as the entire Steam Deck base model, but for only the CPU... no way Valve could have hit that price point and form factor (not to mention battery life) with a larger CPU. Maybe future 5nm CPUs will make that possible.
Retail prices aren't a good comparison. Valve's cost for the CPU/APU should much less than what it would be at retail. A PS5 with no blu-ray drive, is also $400. Has an 8 core CPU, etc.

That said....they may not be getting relatively as good of pricing as Sony; assuming Valve didn't make as large of an initial order as Playstation would and also assuming Valve didn't fund a bunch of R&D for the APU, as Sony did.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So how does this compare with the much more expensive GPD Win 3?

Best I can find, raw performance should be very similar. The deck will probably have a better build quality. Probably better "controllers" (buttons, analogs, triggers, etc). You also get the trackpads which im sure will be clunky but it at least allows for native support of games that do not have controller support. You'll also have Steams massive controller profile library with tons of profiles purpose built for this machine. You also have the confidence of knowing your purchase is backed by the behemoth that is Valve, instead of an unknown chinese company that launches products on indigogo.

No question for me. Even at the same price, i'd say the Steam Pad is better. At $350 - $600 less... it absolutely ruins it.

I reserved a 512 GB at 1:28 PM. I was torn between the 64 GB and the 512 GB. On one hand, I could care less about waiting for a game to load. But I really like fluff like unique profiles. So I paid $250 extra for the fluff and the glass screen that shall be broken in no time. I pray the glass is easy to replace as I am a certified professional klutz.

I keep getting the too many attempted purchases error. FUCK YOU STEAM

Check your purchase history, one might have gone through. Takes a while to get email confirmation after that.

I keep getting the too many attempted purchases error. FUCK YOU STEAM
Check your account history and see if something went through.

I had one in my cart at 12:01 and made it to the checkout screen but never saw an order confirmation. Kept trying and got the same error about too many attempted purchased. Checked my account history and it showed a pending transaction. 18 minutes later, card was charged and order confirmation arrived for 10:01, so it went off when I Tried to check out, not when the payment posted.

Best I can find, raw performance should be very similar. The deck will probably have a better build quality. Probably better "controllers" (buttons, analogs, triggers, etc). You also get the trackpads which im sure will be clunky but it at least allows for native support of games that do not have controller support. You'll also have Steams massive controller profile library with tons of profiles purpose built for this machine. You also have the confidence of knowing your purchase is backed by the behemoth that is Valve, instead of an unknown chinese company that launches products on indigogo.

No question for me. Even at the same price, i'd say the Steam Pad is better. At $350 - $600 less... it absolutely ruins it.
yes, it is no question at all with valve's backing behind the Deck.

Check your purchase history, one might have gone through. Takes a while to get email confirmation after that.
Yeah, it was the same for me. I tried like 100 times and then gave up and eat breakfast. Then I got the email.

I can't even get the purchase history to load :banghead:.

Edit: Just got it to load, but no luck there either :(.

I'm honestly surprised this is as popular as it is turning out to be.

I didn't think there was such a demand for mobile PC gaming.

I guess you are GPU limited on that device most of the time anyway.

A Ryzen 4750G (8C/16T, 8 Vega CUs) costs $399 on Amazon which is the same price as the entire Steam Deck base model, but for only the CPU... no way Valve could have hit that price point and form factor (not to mention battery life) with a larger CPU. Maybe future 5nm CPUs will make that possible.

The only thing that I am disappointed in is that there is no FreeSync or HDR screen, or at least a 90 Hz one, not even as premium option. But I guess that may come if the device is successful, and you can connect an external monitor if you want that.

The thing is that using it for other tasks or streaming will benefit from both Zen3 (even if it was still 4c/8t) and certainly higher CPU performance of 8c/16t. Especially considering people using it with a dock and the like, the hardware should be improved. Now, if they made a version of the APU that is somehow socketed or the whole thing can be swapped out for a later model then fine, but I am not guessing that is the case.

I know that's retail for the 4750G (not to mention we'd have to look at the 4700U probably, not the more powerful G models if I'm correct due to TDP) , but the AsRock 4x4 4800U box is https://www.newegg.com/asrock-4x4-box-4800u/p/N82E16856158069 at $579! Steam Deck's hardware is obviously bought en masse so that will bring the costs down quite a bit and Valve can definitely make it up on volume- especially if it differed between "tiers". Let the 4c/8t be for the entry level model but for the high end 650+ one, have a better chip either Zen2 or preferably Zen3. The 5800U Zen3 powered 8c/16t chip has a 15w TDP just like this one, so it should work and I'd rather have a little more expense, bulk/cooling/battery which would probably be minor if needed at all. No matter what, the newer Zen3 chips would be more performant and efficient for the same heat/power profile, and all of this is a custom APU becuase it has RDNA2 support on the GPU side which is a great thing.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that it is capable of supporting FreeSync on the display - it would be silly not to do so with the RDNA2 APU capable of it. I saw someone reference a Valve Q+A that mentioned its presence; lacking it would make the playability of demanding titles less viable so it would be foolish not to include it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I think it's partially because people were really underwhelmed that the fabled Switch Pro turned out to be the OLED model. Valve's timing was impeccable.

I also think to an extent, it's just because people have spent the last year and a half not being able to buy things they want to buy because of COVID + chip shortage. I think people just want to buy something that is a hot new product. Logic might be if I can't buy a [PS5, Xbox, GPU, CPU, etc] i'll just buy this instead.

I've been waiting on a pc portable for a while. Still have my Shield Portable.. it could have been much better had Nvidia decided not to drop it and start building Switches. I got in on the 512. Kept getting errors on Paypal.. tried Visa and it worked.. was slow as hell but it eventually went through.

I think it's partially because people were really underwhelmed that the fabled Switch Pro turned out to be the OLED model. Valve's timing was impeccable.

I also think to an extent, it's just because people have spent the last year and a half not being able to buy things they want to buy because of COVID + chip shortage. I think people just want to buy something that is a hot new product. Logic might be if I can't buy a [PS5, Xbox, GPU, CPU, etc] i'll just buy this instead.

Yeah, well, I got all of the others, but couldn't get this one...

Yeah I think it's less to do with the Switch OLED and more to do with the latter. People are really fucking hyped to buy tech, especially video game tech, right now.

Reactions: Axman
like this

Real mobile gaming has been in huge demand for a couple of years. The death of mobile gaming on the phone had people getting into gaming laptops well before the troubles, and even more so since, because gaming laptops remain priced correctly, for the most part.

Wow, just one hour later, and the top-tier 512 GB configuration is already backlogged to Q2 2022, unlike the rest - all while so many of us got flagged for too many attempted purchases despite those attempts all failing!
Steam Deck one hour later.PNG

And after that, for the first time, I got to checkout, only to get hit with an error that's basically "Your purchase has not been completed." Great...

Wow, just one hour later, and the top-tier 512 GB configuration is already backlogged to Q2 2022, unlike the rest - all while so many of us got flagged for too many attempted purchases despite those attempts all failing!
View attachment 375650

And after that, for the first time, I got to checkout, only to get hit with an error that's basically "Your purchase has not been completed." Great...

Fuck that. By the time they get around to filling those Q2 2022 (and beyond) orders, they'll already be ready to launch a new versions of it.

I got hit with the too many attempted error.. just let it sit there, come back to the final checkout screen.. errors out.. and 2 minutes later i get an email saying i purchased it.. checked my order history and there it was.. not sure what the hell happened.. but im grateful lol..

There isn't - but like all things at-launch, everyone thinks they can corner the market using bots.

This also will turn some heads, as the first van Gogh system, and the currently lowest-priced portable x86 system. But there is only so much sustained demand for a $400 computer without a keyboard or folding screen.

I might buy one of these things, but only after I can hold it's bulk in my hands for an hour, but people like these buying it sight-unseen are the reason we have a scalping problem.

MUST BE FIRST TO TOUCH NEW SHINY THINGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited:
Well, I'll be damned. My order actually went through a few minutes ago. Won't be anywhere near first in the queue, but that's life. I can wait.

Maybe things are easing up after that initial first hour of peak demand.

Back