Static Electricty

Ice009

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I am just curious on what Static Electricity precautions that I should be taking when building a PC.

I think I am doing it right, but not sure.

I just got a wrist strap, but before I had one I used to just leave the computer plugged into the wall socket and have the switch turned off on both the PSU and the wall socket while touching a metal part of the case to discharge Static Electricity. Was that correct doing it that way?

If that was the correct way of doing it now that I have a wrist strap I was wondering if I do it the same way? Do I keep the computer plugged into the wall socket and turned off at both the PSU and wall socket while using the wrist strap?

yeah, keeping the computer plugged in but the switch off allows the ground connection to be maintained. you're doing just fine

you don't need the wall socket to be off in addition to the psu switch being off though

yeah, keeping the computer plugged in but the switch off allows the ground connection to be maintained. you're doing just fine

you don't need the wall socket to be off in addition to the psu switch being off though

So I can do it the same way I am doing it with both the wrist strap and with out it.

Also, I can just turn the PSU and leave the wall socket on? That is OK?

The other question what happens if you don't have the Case plugged into anything and just sitting on the desk while having the wrist strap connected to the Case? Is that a waste of time as there wouldn't be a ground connection?

The other question what happens if you don't have the Case plugged into anything and just sitting on the desk while having the wrist strap connected to the Case?

You are OK as long as the strap is electrically connected to the ground plane of the motherboard.

Back