Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

That is very similar to my first shocking introduction to SJW storytelling and writing. Namely the Mass Effect Andromeda Uprising novel. It is eerily similar. I don't remember the exact words, but the Salarian survivor who is the highest ranking survivor and as such the temporary person in charge, makes perfectly sane and valid arguments on what they should do (like fix life support first) and so on. But it is being presented as if it's a completely unreasonable stance to have and he is an incompetent leader, because the first agenda should be comforting the survivors and collecting the dead. You know before fixing life support and regaining some control over the drifting ark ship. And the biggest issue that keeps coming back every two pages is how much the female heroes foot hurts because she accidentally kicked a bulkhead. Literally while they are surrounded by burn victims and people with life changing injuries, not to mention the dead. But who you should be feeling sorry for is not them, but the poor female hero and her sore foot.
Well, I had been curious about that novel. You saved me from wasting my time and money on that.

edit: Ladies and Gentlemen, the final boss has been found already:

'Knights of The Woke Republic'

Its sad. Just sad. One of my favorite games. I´ve replayed it so many times that I would buy a remastered edition without second guessing it. A Woke remake!?! Won´t touch it even for free. I´d rather replay the old original yet another time.

If this turns out to be a Woke remake and Epic buys it and starts giving it away for free, I would avoid it, so I don´t have to even look at that turd in my game library.

Its sad. Just sad. One of my favorite games. I´ve replayed it so many times that I would buy a remastered edition without second guessing it. A Woke remake!?! Won´t touch it even for free. I´d rather replay the old original yet another time.

If this turns out to be a Woke remake and Epic buys it and starts giving it away for free, I would avoid it, so I don´t have to even look at that turd in my game library.
Same here. I have the original so, why would a woke remake be if interest?

How is the best way (are there improvement mods etc) to play KOTOR these days? Looks like some interesting stuff on Nexus but assuming it won't work on Steam.

How is the best way (are there improvement mods etc) to play KOTOR these days? Looks like some interesting stuff on Nexus but assuming it won't work on Steam.
Was just wondering the same...

When looking at the Wikipedia articles for background information on the original game, I noticed mention of the remake. It looks like this was already confirmed in post #16 by Armenius, but according to Wikipedia it's "[...] in development by Aspyr for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation 5" (I didn't verify the sources) in case there was still doubt.

It was a bit disappointing to find that the original was released in 2003. Hopefully the concerns voiced in this thread aren't materialized in the remake -- at least not to the degree feared -- but I don't know anything about the writer in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_...ar_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_—_Remake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_(video_game)

I don't know anything about the writer
1631457749443.png

1631457925426.png

Holy shit. I'm willing to separate her that thing's personal views from professional writing. But with how obnoxious and outspoken she(?? Her?? They??) is about these perceptions of hers, I can't see how it won't bleed over. This person has issues. And stop shoving these views down everyone's throats at every opportunity. How can people get this far in careers with these personalities? Baffling

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of those in the first picture are pretty clearly just jokes. Why are you highlighting her being supportive of diverse crews as if it’s a bad thing?
i'm sure you're aware of this but you're wasting your breath. they'll just say something like "we're not against diverse crews, we're against diverse crews being shoved down our throats!" as if there's a difference. they operate on a perpetual combination of fear and outrage.

In fairness, most of those tweets were from 4-5+ years ago, and I suspect she was probably fairly young at the time. I'd be curious as to whether or not she is still echoing those statements in the last couple of years. It would be more concerning if she was.

Why the fuck do they need to rewrite anything?! Take the god damn plot and dialogue and stick it into a fancier engine for fuck sake.
as much as i loved this game, i definitely see room for improvement in the writing. take the Krayt dragon pearl, the player is forced to choose between one of the more powerful upgrades in the game, or the lore behind the sand people, which before this, i dont think was ever addressed. a rewrite could allow the player to have both the lore and object

i wish people could stop playing the victim card and getting outraged over every goddamn thing for 10 fucking minutes
Excuse me, but how does being concerned about not getting a coherent story equals playing the victim? I mean Dan and I Even provided examples of where social politics gets in the way of coherent writing.

A lot of those in the first picture are pretty clearly just jokes. Why are you highlighting her being supportive of diverse crews as if it’s a bad thing?
If those are meant as jokes, then I'm even more concerned about her writing skills. But I doubt she'd appreciate you calling her fight against the big bad bogeyman a series of jokes.

In fairness, most of those tweets were from 4-5+ years ago, and I suspect she was probably fairly young at the time. I'd be curious as to whether or not she is still echoing those statements in the last couple of years. It would be more concerning if she was.

Doubt it, some of those are within the past two years. If someone creates their entire identity around pushing certain ideas in as brash of a way as possible I doubt they will suddenly tone it down just a few years later.

yup, totally just old posts and no reason to be worried about her crazy ideologies being jammed into everything she touches...

1631483433832.png

1631482095800.png

1631482176919.png

1631482292031.png

you know who she considers nazis right?
1631482408071.png

edit: fixed top pic, it included someone elses twit be accident.

Last edited:
Doubt it, some of those are within the past two years. If someone creates their entire identity around pushing certain ideas in as brash of a way as possible I doubt they will suddenly tone it down just a few years later.
None in the first picture were at all. The second picture had two within the last two years, none of which have anything to do with her politics.

yup, totally just old posts and no reason to be worried about her crazy ideologies being jammed into everything she touches...
Thank you for posting more recent contributions, definitely not giving me much hope from her at this point.

While I agree that Sam Maggs seems like a bad choice to help write the KOTOR remake her last credit was as the head writer for the new Ratchet and Clank game and that turned out well. If the remake turns out to be some woke nonsense I just won't buy it. Money talks in video game town.

While I agree that Sam Maggs seems like a bad choice to help write the KOTOR remake her last credit was as the head writer for the new Ratchet and Clank game and that turned out well. If the remake turns out to be some woke nonsense I just won't buy it. Money talks in video game town.
she WAS lead, she also wrote rivet to be "inclusive and representative" (woke speak) and better than ratchet. but then she "left to be a full time freelance"...

Fortunately GoG exists. No DRM means they can't take it away.

Steam version have an issue with the swkotor.exe file being encrypted. That means it makes it harder to get proper widescreen resolution with proper hud using the patches made by the community. There are workarounds replacing the exe, but getting the GoG version would be best way to play Kotor these days ... :p

Here is the method explained with links to the appropriate files in the youtube description:

I have installed windows 11 on my system and some language issues made me reinstall everything, so I currently doesn´t have Kotor installed there. Best way (in my opinion) would be to change the resolution and fix the hud according to the new resolution, install the community patch for the base game and the upscaled cutscenes. Should give you a decent basegame.

Beyond that, it all depends how much time you want to invest into it. As far as I know, there is not a single ultimate pack to install.
There are high res mods for everything from characters to the different planets.
You can also install "expansion packs", which brings more content and gameplay into Kotor.

Most common issues if I remember correctly, was fullscreen mode and high DPI scaling.
For fullscreen, edit swkotor.ini in notepad and under [graphics options], change fullscreen=1 to fullscreen=0
Add a line under [graphics options] AllowWindowedMode=1

For high DPI, rightclick on swkotor.exe, choose properties -> compatibility -> change high DPI settings -> and choose program as high DPI scaling override

Last edited:
Hate to break this to you, but Star Wars has ALWAYS been political.

It was a bunch of movies about space daimyos and their space samurai pledging themselves to the space empire which was at war with the space shogun and his space samurai and when they weren't having space swordfights they fought across the galaxy from space aircraft carriers and when they weren't fighting they'd get into their space racecars and make zoom-zoom noises. In space.

Star Wars was never about having the Space Conversation. That was firmly Star Trek's job. Star Wars was Kurosawa films with extraordinarily simple subtitles and zoom-zoom noises.

Rumor: KOTOR Remake Plans to Overhaul Gameplay

A YouTuber known as MrMattyPlays came out with a video recently stating that the remake will most likely ditch the turn-based combat system in the original game in favor of a more action-based system...the YouTuber has made many accurate predictions regarding the game so far owing to his network of sources...he was previously able to find out that the original game was being ported to the Nintendo Switch before it was officially confirmed

Although the change in combat system may not be to some fans' liking, this method has worked in other recent remakes...for example, the remake of Final Fantasy 7 also decided to make the change from turn-based combat and did so with a resounding amount of success...

https://gamerant.com/kotor-remake-gameplay-changes/

Last edited:
That's sad news. They could have worked with Hasbro to refresh the system, which was both important to the gameplay and important to the plot.

If they take FF7R as a large influence------it could make for a good KoTOR experience. As FF7R is a lot like what KoTOR might be like, if you could directly control a character.

With direct character control, physical or non-magic attacks (Barret's gun-arm) are no longer dice rolled to determine if they even hit. Such attacks are dodged from movement, not a dice roll. But stats like attack power, defense, etc, are still "rolled" or calculated with numbers. And Lots of aspects about most other things like magic and status effects, are still rolled/stat based.

FF7R lets you map some special attacks to buttons (like hotkeys), so you don't have to cycle through menus to select them. But...you can still play it like that. And you don't have to choose one or the other. But one thing which is cool about having such things on "hotkeys", is there is less pausing of the action, while you flip through the menus.

Honestly, I think KoTOR would be awesome if they did that and combined it with more options to instruct the AI of your party members (FF7R prefers to force you to micro-manage everyone and....I think opinion is split on whether or not thats a good thing). Another Final Fantasy, 12, is a great example of how to do that (offer tons of options for shaping party AI).

Rumor: KOTOR Remake Plans to Overhaul Gameplay

A YouTuber known as MrMattyPlays came out with a video recently stating that the remake will most likely ditch the turn-based combat system in the original game in favor of a more action-based system...the YouTuber has made many accurate predictions regarding the game so far owing to his network of sources...he was previously able to find out that the original game was being ported to the Nintendo Switch before it was officially confirmed

Although the change in combat system may not be to some fans' liking, this method has worked in other recent remakes...for example, the remake of Final Fantasy 7 also decided to make the change from turn-based combat and did so with a resounding amount of success...

https://gamerant.com/kotor-remake-gameplay-changes/
Changing the combat is actually something I approve of in this case.

Yeah, its not like KoTOR has "really good" combat, anyway. I think that visually it works out well (characters passively doing fight choreography, while you wait for abilities to cool down). And they covered a fair amount of force skills and whatnot. So, the overall aesthetic of small groups facing off in flurries of blasters and light sabers, and force pushes----is pretty well analogous to several scenes in the movies. but its not that complex in implementation and your overall success largely relies on do you have healing options and do you have a buff?

Changing the combat is actually something I approve of in this case.
I agree 100%. I was never a big fan of the combat system to begin with and it's one of the reasons I haven't replayed the games in quite a while because I find it so cumbersome.

I don't necessarily want an MMO style setup but something like the Dragon Age: Origins combat style would be welcome in my opinion. At least as long as the companion AI isn't complete shit or you can tailor it to your needs better than DA:O.

I agree 100%. I was never a big fan of the combat system to begin with and it's one of the reasons I haven't replayed the games in quite a while because I find it so cumbersome.

I don't necessarily want an MMO style setup but something like the Dragon Age: Origins combat style would be welcome in my opinion. At least as long as the companion AI isn't complete shit or you can tailor it to your needs better than DA:O.
DA:O combat is essentially the same as combat in the original KotOR games, so I don't know what you're getting at

Regardless, it's been shown that the D&D-style mechanics of combat can be done in a real time game, so I'm not entirely against the idea.

Yeah, its not like KoTOR has "really good" combat, anyway. I think that visually it works out well (characters passively doing fight choreography, while you wait for abilities to cool down).

There is no cool-down it's a turn-based game.

DA:O combat is essentially the same as combat in the original KotOR games, so I don't know what you're getting at

Regardless, it's been shown that the D&D-style mechanics of combat can be done in a real time game, so I'm not entirely against the idea.
Certain things about the combat is similar but it's far from being the same or even essentially the same.

I would prefer combat more like what we had in Fallen Order or the Force Unleashed.

from the always reliable Jason Schreier: the hotly anticipated Knights of the Old Republic remake is in serious trouble according to people familiar with the project and is indefinitely delayed...developer Aspyr abruptly fired two directors this month and told staff that the project is on pause as it tries to figure out what comes next...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup

Last edited:
from the always reliable Jason Schreier: the hotly anticipated Knights of the Old Republic remake is in serious trouble, according to people familiar with the project and is indefinitely delayed...developer Aspyr abruptly fired two directors this month and told staff that the project is on pause as it tries to figure out what comes next...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup

That’s troubling, but hopefully it also means the Aspyr wants to make it the best they can. I do hope they don’t cancel it, just step back and rework things

That’s troubling, but hopefully it also means the Aspyr wants to make it the best they can. I do hope they don’t cancel it, just step back and rework things
according to the article they have been working at it for 3 years and should release later this years, but according to some developpers it realisticly needs another 3 years, not surre that that timeframe works for the people fronting the money. Change the developpement to a more competent studio looks like the way to go.

Back