Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

All year was working on salvage (in PTU right now) and the new persistent object storage (been slowly working its way in as they fiddle out the bugs - having 50,000,000 empty soda cans turned out to be an issue in main areas from internal testing, or so they implied, so figuring out how to "purge" some of that is kinda important). All under the hood work.
That's something MMOs figured out back in the Ultima Online days.

That's something MMOs figured out back in the Ultima Online days.
IIRC, ultima online didn't have ~everything~ as a persistent object - we're talking discarded coke cans and stuff. Now I know why they're doing it; I think it's absurdly silly and pointless - but that's the reason it took that long to balance.

fleetpic.png

Just because I think its fun to poke at angry non-backers, heres my current fleet, all ships owned for real money.
I just realized I left an entire $290 ship off there, I own two (2) Vanguard harbingers ;)

Ill keep throwing money at it, and enjoying the hell out of the game and my org as long as it still appeals to me. Not a single ounce of regret over my purchases, and quite a bit of excess satisfaction because so many people are upset with what I spend my money on.

View attachment 539125

Just because I think its fun to poke at angry non-backers, heres my current fleet, all ships owned for real money.
I just realized I left an entire $290 ship off there, I own two (2) Vanguard harbingers ;)

Ill keep throwing money at it, and enjoying the hell out of the game and my org as long as it still appeals to me. Not a single ounce of regret over my purchases, and quite a bit of excess satisfaction because so many people are upset with what I spend my money on.
I don’t think I will go all in like that but I find it impressive. As much as I enjoy the game now I am resisting the urge to buy more ships. I don’t mind grinding so I will just earn them in game for now.

The one exception might be upgrading my starter ship.

I think my next purchase will be a flight stick or two.

We aren't upset, we are sad and disappointed, the same sadness and disappointment we experience when watching a female friend keep going back to an abusive husband and justifies it by telling herself and others how great the relationship is.
Hey, if the sex is amazing, and he buys a new lambo every year...
fleetpic.png

I think I missed one or two. Galaxy/Odyssey/Kraken on my list to get before too long.

All I did was upgrade to a a freelancer, so that I could more easily rent a roc after a wipe to get boot strapped. Might eventually just move up to the prospector.

I'd like to see those images split with one side the ships you own that are currently playable, and the other side being the ships that aren't in game yet (or were, but currently aren't). It seems that most of the ships aren't playable.

I'd like to see those images split with one side the ships you own that are currently playable, and the other side being the ships that aren't in game yet (or were, but currently aren't). It seems that most of the ships aren't playable.
Everything I own is playable. The only one I waited on was the Carrack but I was happy to wait getting it for a nice reduced rate on the gray market.

After 3.17.2 dropped. I was reading global chat and some guys where talking about how cheap in game credits were.
I had been grinding asteroids for days. I normally enjoy space mining, but half of the asteroids were glitched or my quantanium would glitch to inert while landing.
I said to hell with it and bought 100 Million AUEC for like $10-20... can't really remember.

I split the credits with my son and we bought all of the ships/ground vehicles that we wanted.
Had some fun adventures in the Carrack. I think my favorite for solo play is the Constellation Phoenix.

I liked to goto the bar and get a glass of liquor and walk around like Julian on trailer park boys. It was also fun to get a bunch of water and food/snacks and lay them around the tables and bars on the ship, so that we could pick them up to eat/drink.

Shame the game is so damn buggy, my son thought it was the coolest thing ever... until he couldn't finish missions or would have to suicide to fix a bug. I am older and more patient, so it didn't bother me as much. Though my patience has limits.
I feel like the universe and general design of the planets, cities,stations,equipment.... pretty much everything blows Elite Dangerous and No Mans Sky out of the water.

If they ever get it stable. It will be all I play.

For mine it’s 100% minus the Polaris and Perseus.

Why do I keep visiting this thread thinking I am going to find out my original 45$ starter package or whatever has some sort of playable campaign available....

Well, if you want a playable campaign and only own a $45 pack, you likely dont own Squadron 42, which is the single player game that may or may not ever be released - so..... it will never have some sort of playable campaign that you're desiring as you only own the MMO portion of the series..

Well, if you want a playable campaign and only own a $45 pack, you likely dont own Squadron 42, which is the single player game that may or may not ever be released - so..... it will never have some sort of playable campaign that you're desiring as you only own the MMO portion of the series..

Way back when this was announced they were one game. It was only a few years later that they separated the purchases. They've even justified delaying the campaign because they want all of the systems to be 100% replicated across all modes. Which is kind of pointless because Star Citizen would be constantly updated over years so the campaign would fall out of date. But they haven't exactly managed anything well.

In my exploration of all the gameplay loops I gave ROC mining a try and did not like it at all. Scanning for ground deposits while flying low and slow is a bit of a pain, and mining on Aberdeen and Arial makes driving a pain if you don’t land on top of the deposit. They are littered with rocks and every time the ROC hits the rock it bounces all over the place. Then on my last run I hit the loading ramp of the cutlass at an odd angle and my ship flipped onto its back.

I decided to try Prospector mining for Quantinium and that is much more satisfying and less buggy. It’s also kinda fun to race the 15 minute timer to get back to a station before the load blows up, not that it is hard to fail that part if you are paying attention.

I also find the refining and then carrying it in a cargo ship to a sale destination pretty interesting. It’s probably the most evolved gameplay loop so far.

Otherwise I’ve tried bounty hunter missions which are pretty quick to bang out in succession and delivery missions which are a bit boring but pretty profitable once you hit the 45k missions. Bunker missions are hit or miss and the FPS AI is so bad and half the time the bunkers don’t even load correctly.

I think next wipe I’ll jump straight to quant mining as soon as I can then save up for some of the larger ships to play around in.

In my exploration of all the gameplay loops I gave ROC mining a try and did not like it at all. Scanning for ground deposits while flying low and slow is a bit of a pain, and mining on Aberdeen and Arial makes driving a pain if you don’t land on top of the deposit. They are littered with rocks and every time the ROC hits the rock it bounces all over the place. Then on my last run I hit the loading ramp of the cutlass at an odd angle and my ship flipped onto its back.

I decided to try Prospector mining for Quantinium and that is much more satisfying and less buggy. It’s also kinda fun to race the 15 minute timer to get back to a station before the load blows up, not that it is hard to fail that part if you are paying attention.

I also find the refining and then carrying it in a cargo ship to a sale destination pretty interesting. It’s probably the most evolved gameplay loop so far.

Otherwise I’ve tried bounty hunter missions which are pretty quick to bang out in succession and delivery missions which are a bit boring but pretty profitable once you hit the 45k missions. Bunker missions are hit or miss and the FPS AI is so bad and half the time the bunkers don’t even load correctly.

I think next wipe I’ll jump straight to quant mining as soon as I can then save up for some of the larger ships to play around in.
I run bounties to afford to equip my mole, then the mole makes money and top-end bounties are for the crewed ships to fuck around in.

I run bounties to afford to equip my mole, then the mole makes money and top-end bounties are for the crewed ships to fuck around in.
That sounds like what I will do next patch. If I pledge for a prospector I get an Arrow as a loaner so that will handle most bounties fine I think. The Avenger isn’t too bad as well.

I also might pledge for a C1 when it is available again. Kinda makes my Avenger redundant but I’ll keep both for now. With a Prospector, Arrow and C1 I should have the money making part secured and then I can grind for credits to buy the bigger ships or whatever is the meta fighter that patch.

That sounds like what I will do next patch. If I pledge for a prospector I get an Arrow as a loaner so that will handle most bounties fine I think. The Avenger isn’t too bad as well.

I also might pledge for a C1 when it is available again. Kinda makes my Avenger redundant but I’ll keep both for now. With a Prospector, Arrow and C1 I should have the money making part secured and then I can grind for credits to buy the bigger ships or whatever is the meta fighter that patch.
I swap the Gatling guns on the arrow for cannons (energy), then it’s great up to VHRT if you’re careful, HRT if being lazy. Fast money too. I have an M2 for hauling, and add a cat for ore (plus I just love the thing). But same plan as I have - plus a warden for higher bounties 😁

Events and many releases have a lot of fun things to do. Depends on when you check in.
Indeed. Once they fix the initial failures of the next patch I'll jump back in for a while. Been since 3.11 I think since I last actually played. Been too busy. Looking forward to some cargo runs and mining. And some more exploring if I can get my snub, rover and Dragonfly in my Carrack properly lol.

Indeed. Once they fix the initial failures of the next patch I'll jump back in for a while. Been since 3.11 I think since I last actually played. Been too busy. Looking forward to some cargo runs and mining. And some more exploring if I can get my snub, rover and Dragonfly in my Carrack properly lol.

I have, successfully for multiple days on end and many play sessions, "lived" out of my carrack. I parked near New Babbage so it stayed in the armistice zone and treated it like a fully fledged apartment.
Loaded my C8 and STV into it, did box missions and general shittin around in the C8, used the STV to drive into NB ground gates if I wanted to go shopping. I loaded up a bunch of food, armor, weapons, ammo, and such, then placed plushies on several beds and drinks/food around the ship where I figured people might reasonably have set them, and a little meal in the crew dining area.
I could fly across the entire system and do missions for two hours, then fly back to my parked carrack and land in it to get supplies and such. The only issue with using it as a mobile hangar for the C8 on extended duration is it doesnt seem refueling works at all, despite that it should in the carrack eventually as they stated it could refuel the C8s (And it would make sense for an exploration vessel to be able to refuel a snub in the hangar), so you have to remember to refuel when out doing stuff.

The largest issue is that every time you log back in, the carrack *and* the C8 have retracted their gear, so you have to go extend it on both or the ships will eventually start to bounce around. This is not really an issue in space, as the C8 wont start to bounce around in the hangar until you lower its back gate to get in and it doesnt mtter then anyway.

All random small items remained if they were "full" in terms of drinks and food, and the plushies and a few other small things and weapons I placed around the ship remained the entire time as well, and had no issues when I moved the carrack itself to different places as well.

I have also parked and lived on moon surfaces in the middle of nowhere (I dont like this as you have to manually fly courses to get back there - they really need the ability to add your own marker anywhere on the map) and in space (Same issue with having to manually fly headings from different OMs to find ship again).

***Edit - you also can only have three ships spawned at once right now still, so you couldnt have your Carrack + Snub + Rover + Dragonfly unless you have someone else spawn one for you. It should remain once you load it into the ship as long as the ship persists.

Last edited:
The lack of manual waypoints is especially annoying. When I flipped my Cutlass while mining I could have wandered back to the nearest ore facility in my ROC but the lack of manual waypoints made that nearly impossible. Sure I could have called in a pickup on global chat but it wasn’t worth it for the small amount of ore I had at that point.

It's been awhile since I've played this game, about 4-5 years, and I've been enjoying the heck out of this game. Basically been going to a gem cave and raiding the place for a ton of UEC. Only real issue I've had to deal with is the inventory system. Items need to truly stack onto themselves and have a quick way to move items into your storage. Also, having items being "move" and not really be moved needs to be fixed as well.

I have, successfully for multiple days on end and many play sessions, "lived" out of my carrack. I parked near New Babbage so it stayed in the armistice zone and treated it like a fully fledged apartment.
Loaded my C8 and STV into it, did box missions and general shittin around in the C8, used the STV to drive into NB ground gates if I wanted to go shopping. I loaded up a bunch of food, armor, weapons, ammo, and such, then placed plushies on several beds and drinks/food around the ship where I figured people might reasonably have set them, and a little meal in the crew dining area.
I could fly across the entire system and do missions for two hours, then fly back to my parked carrack and land in it to get supplies and such. The only issue with using it as a mobile hangar for the C8 on extended duration is it doesnt seem refueling works at all, despite that it should in the carrack eventually as they stated it could refuel the C8s (And it would make sense for an exploration vessel to be able to refuel a snub in the hangar), so you have to remember to refuel when out doing stuff.

The largest issue is that every time you log back in, the carrack *and* the C8 have retracted their gear, so you have to go extend it on both or the ships will eventually start to bounce around. This is not really an issue in space, as the C8 wont start to bounce around in the hangar until you lower its back gate to get in and it doesnt mtter then anyway.

All random small items remained if they were "full" in terms of drinks and food, and the plushies and a few other small things and weapons I placed around the ship remained the entire time as well, and had no issues when I moved the carrack itself to different places as well.

I have also parked and lived on moon surfaces in the middle of nowhere (I dont like this as you have to manually fly courses to get back there - they really need the ability to add your own marker anywhere on the map) and in space (Same issue with having to manually fly headings from different OMs to find ship again).

***Edit - you also can only have three ships spawned at once right now still, so you couldnt have your Carrack + Snub + Rover + Dragonfly unless you have someone else spawn one for you. It should remain once you load it into the ship as long as the ship persists.
Man that sounds like a wet dream. You on the 3.18 test?

Stuff from above...
Nice, awesome it works much better now than before. Prior you had to spawn one, fly it off then go spawn another and hope things were still there when you got back.

Are you able to equip ships to the larger ones through mobiglass yet? The snub should spawn inside and with the Carrack so I would only need to add the rover and dragon fly to be around the limit but I dunno.

I can live without one depending on where I am going and trade it out for now. Sucks that refueling is not quite working yet from it. Last time I played the bug was going on where you couldn't get fixed, fueled or resupplied anywhere. Had to despawn and respawn. Not a big deal in most of my ships for what I was doing but did get annoying lol.

Long term being able to land the big ship and use it as a base of operations and a friend or two in the prospector and other craft should make for some fun activity.

Back