SSDs from untrusted seller testing.

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have that moment again, brought a couple of 256 gig evo's to arrive later this week. The price wasnt unrealistically low, about 30% cheaper than what 256 gig evo's usually sell for.

So I am aware I can fire up samsung magician for a quick serial check. To confirm authencity.

I can check smart data to confirm if they new drives.

But then defects. Fill up the drive, then do some kind of checksum check? Check smart data afterwards? adequate?

The reason for this paranoia, as when I got the ebay receipt, it showed the seller and I noticed the lowish number, so thought would check the seller which I should have done anyway, and its the only product he is selling, which to me is a red flag. As its a multiple quantity of new products, in that case would expect to be a business selling other items.

So now is a fair chance I may send these back. But if everything checks out there is a chance I may keep them.

What you said sounds good, maybe try doing an HDTune write test, or loading up Bootice and playing around, it usually complains about anything and everything that is(nt) wrong with disks.

Hopefully they didnt farm chia on these drives, guess you will find out when you recieve them.

Hi guys little update.

SSD's arrived, packaging on the outside compared to my older 860 evo uses non bold font for the size on the seal label, vs bold on my older 860 evo, I say older but these two 860 evos have a older manufacturing date of early 2018.

Upon opening, and comparing labels, I dont have direct access to the existing 860 I have as its in my pc, so I loaded up a reviewers video, everything looks very similar except two things, the size on the back label on the reviewer's model was just above the line, mine was higher sort of floating. Also some differences in part of the label with bold vs non bold, mine was manufactured in china, reviewer model in tiawan.

The plastic casing is different to my existing 860 evo, it has some little dips at the bottom is best way I can describe it on these two drives, my existing 860 evo box is a plain flat bottom.

I installed the drives and recognised as 860 evo's in the bios, I then installed the latest samsung magician which reports both drives as genuine, I did benchmarks which look normal.

I checked smart data in crystaldiskinfo, and my power on is 2nd power on, everything else 0's.

I then noticed samsung magician now has a new diagnostics section so I ran a smart self test on both drives which passed, I then did a short scan which passed, and a long scan which also passed, however whilst the short scan writes data, and then reads it back to verify integrity, the long scan according to the help info is a read only test, and I did confirm there was no preparation phase (writes), so its just doing read checks. The short scan only tests 1 gig of data. Long does the entire drive albeit read only.

So far so good.

I do have a tool that I use to check for fake usb's, one of the tests it can do is fill the entire drive and then hash check all the data, I might run this on both drives, but it looks like they will probably be fine.

I happen to have an 860 EVO 1TB from 2018 in my drawer. Does yours look like this one?
Samsung-860-rear-label.jpg

I happen to have an 860 EVO 1TB from 2018 in my drawer. Does yours look like this one?
View attachment 386657
Yep pretty much, the 1TB is raised a bit off the line like mine is and the number 860 is not as thick as the EVO wording so thats a mirror.

I didnt do the full write test, I finished cloning the older ssd's about 20 mins ago and the 860s are in use now.

Yep pretty much, the 1TB is raised a bit off the line like mine is and the number 860 is not as thick as the EVO wording so thats a mirror.

I didnt do the full write test, I finished cloning the older ssd's about 20 mins ago and the 860s are in use now.
I have an older 1TB 860 in my 5800X machine, I'll see if that one is different this weekend when I swap my parts around.

Back