SSD with average temperature of 65°C

Ericone

n00b
Hey guys. I have a TOSHIBA THNSNJ256G8NY SSD (258 gb) on my laptop (an MSI Raider 17")

My temperature is high, at 64-65 degrees Celcius at all times, even though the SSD isn't doing anything. Even when I just browse the web, and "current disc activity" is at 0%, it is still at 64-65 degrees.

I have checked temps in two different programs so it seems to be correct.

What can be done about this?
I have always been really careful with my laptop and it has mostly been sitting on my desk.

Hey guys. I have a TOSHIBA THNSNJ256G8NY SSD (258 gb) on my laptop (an MSI Raider 17")

My temperature is high, at 64-65 degrees Celcius at all times, even though the SSD isn't doing anything. Even when I just browse the web, and "current disc activity" is at 0%, it is still at 64-65 degrees.

I have always been really careful with my laptop and it has mostly been sitting on my desk.
Depending on where the manufacturer locates the SSD (always tight in laptops) it could just be getting some residual heat from other components so there's very little you can do. I'd check around and see if this is common with other owners of that laptop. If the spec sheet I looked at is correct that drive can be fine up to 80C so unless you see it going over that there really is no problem.

Step 1: Turn off your stove.

Step 2: Take your laptop off of your stove's hotplate.

Step 3: Profit!

Seriously though, 65C at system idle seems really off - unless you just came out of a heavy gaming session. You shouldn't be hitting that high a temp with it unless it is being worked with a good workload. It could be that whatever cooling your laptop has internally for your M2 drive isn't working all that great or has somehow failed. Or perhaps the m2 drive was installed and someone left a big fat non-thermally conductive sticker over the top of it. I'd shut off your laptop and check it out - there should be a panel for accessing it - if not, open up the case and have a look. If everything checks out, and it still runs that hot just sitting there at idle, then something may be up.

its probably sitting next to the heatpipes or something like that ^^ and theres probably still a sticker on it.
"(an MSI Raider 17")" what model, thats kinda vague.

I had similar question on my 2tb version of 980 samsung pro which seems to run bit hot 54c (as primary OS drive) while the computer is relatively idle (light office work). Its on crosshair VIII hero next to CPU slot (5800x) and it probably does not help that RTX 3080 is close by. Everything I read suggests these m2 drives tend to run hotter and with Samsung 980 pro throttling starts above 80c (which I never reached). When RTX 3080 is busy, it can get up to 67c but never saw it above 70c (at least yet). So I assume 60c range is safe.

Do you have a thermal pad on the SSD? On my Aero there is a piece of thermal pad on the metal back plate directly over the SSD slot. I thought it was over kill until I used an external nvme SSD enclosure, the heatsink almost burned my hand during load. I also use a cooling pad like this when I game / render for long periods of time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

The drive may report temperature in 0.5C increments. If this is the case and the programs you used just report the raw SMART value, the drive is going to appear twice as hot as it actually is.

As mentioned by Supercharged_Z06, 65C at system idle is not reasonable for your THNSNJ256G8NY. However, 32.5C at idle is.

I've noticed the Toshiba in my Dell (stock config) workstation has always run hot... I fully expect for it to fail prematurely.

Whether that temperature is within manufacturer specs or not, it's waaaay to hot in my opinion.

I'd throw a heatsink or something on it if I cared about the drive.

Obviously, cooler is always better!

Capsdsdture.JPG
Capture.JPG

I just got a 500 GB Crucial MX500 SSD for my tower PC and Crucial website said if SMART ever records a max temperature over 70° C it may void the warranty. I idle at 35° C and max recorded by SMART so far is 45° C with ambient room temperature of 23° C.

NVMe drives inside gaming laptops can easily hit these temps.

On my MSI laptop in my sig I have software alert me of the high temp on either of my NVMe drives and I push a button on my laptop turn the fan profile up to full speed to cool it down. I am unhappy with this solution but it works for now. I wish the unit was designed to allow better control of the fans. If there is no GPU load the fan on the GPU side shuts off completely which causes the NVMe drives to easily reach 70C if my the AV decides its time to scan or other background activity

BTW one of my 2 NVMe drives is a 256 GB Toshiba.

Last edited:
Here is some links where SSD temps were dealt with several years ago now. Not sure if there is newer work to reference. My take away is, if the SSD is not throttling the higher temps are okay. The idea that it's actually better to run them hot I think is a bit misleading, but not completely inaccurate.
Presentation on data retention - https://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/Alvin_Cox [Compatibility Mode]_0.pdf
Paper on reliability - https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~omutlu/p...res-in-the-field-at-facebook_sigmetrics15.pdf

Last edited:
Back