SSD that can't be seen.... sometimes

l008com

Limp Gawd
I got this 240 GB Dell branded, Micron manufactured SSD for free. It's some Enterprise class drive out of a server.

If I put it in a USB dock, it works fine.

But if I put it in a Mac Book Pro, the computer won't see it. I tried two different machines.

To be more specific, it's not just that the volume doesn't mount, it physically does not see any sata device connected to the sata bus. Its like nothing is plugged in. The drive and both computers support 6gb sata. Both computers work perfectly fine with multiple other drives.

So I'm wondering if this drive might have some custom firmware that prevents it from working in non dell servers? If so, is there a way to flash it with a generic micro firmware so it can be used normally?

Attachments

• dell ssd label.JPG
    dell ssd label.JPG
    531.9 KB · Views: 0
I got this 240 GB Dell branded, Micron manufactured SSD for free. It's some Enterprise class drive out of a server.

If I put it in a USB dock, it works fine.

But if I put it in a Mac Book Pro, the computer won't see it. I tried two different machines.

To be more specific, it's not just that the volume doesn't mount, it physically does not see any sata device connected to the sata bus. Its like nothing is plugged in. The drive and both computers support 6gb sata. Both computers work perfectly fine with multiple other drives.

So I'm wondering if this drive might have some custom firmware that prevents it from working in non dell servers? If so, is there a way to flash it with a generic micro firmware so it can be used normally?
That is a rebadged Micron 5100, it should not be vendor locked to Dell. Which Macbook Pro's (Model #) are you trying it in, and what OS version are they running? If you go into Disk Utility do you see anything attached at all? The only time I have seen issues like this is if it was out of an EMC or NetApp and set to 520 or 528 byte sector sizes. If you put it into a windows box via SATA, do you have the same problem? If you put it into a USB enclosure, reformat it and put it into the Mac does the issue resolve?

Tried with a 13" 2012 macbook pro and a 17" 2011 macbook pro. One running 10.15.7 the other running 10.13.something
In disk utility, you see nothing at all, it's like nothing is connected.
I don't have a windows box or any other Macs I can get into easily (lots of mac minis).
It *DOES* work in my USB drive dock strangely, but even after reformatting there, nothing shows in the macbooks. Not just no volumes, but no physical disk shows as connected.

Seems to be a lot of issues with SSD not being seen or other type of problems these days...I have two drives that stops boot process in its track if connected with other drives...These have been cleaned, formatted , wipe

I wonder if it has the 3.3v issue that some shucked hdds have nowadays.

I just noticed mine starting when I bought the new Gig Z590 MB

Back