SSD prices keep falling Patriot 2 GB $80, DRAM NVME added for Leven Brand

RecentlyAdded

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You could get an NVME to PCIE adapter if you have free PCIE slots.

I do have a slot but I found out the mb is already ridiculously crammed...No room above my video card due to the Noctua. No room below the video card or it starts obstructing airflow...
For the cost of adding one PCIE NVME I couldn't do it.

Wish I had more nvme slots. MB only has 2. One is a samsung 970evo only 512 GB and another is 2TB inland for $80 from BF.
Stick it in an external box and use it esata or usb-c. Not the fastest, but I'm sure you won't be able to tell except in benchmarks. (y)

But the sata SSD is already cheaper?
Cheaper in terms of bang for buck vs just cheaper. I'll always opt for a quality drive in my enclosure vs a lesser drive that's ready to go, especially if the price is similar.

Yeah a 512GB boot drive is pretty brutal for an often used/main rig. Love me some cloning. I've bought single SSDs before that basically amount to 3 maybe 4 upgrades as I shuffle things around! Last 512GB went into the GFs laptop for her, and so when I have to fix it I don't want to poke myself in the eyes with how slow it was with the spinner! :LOL: It had a TB in it but not much stuff (can also clone down of course).

Cheaper in terms of bang for buck vs just cheaper. I'll always opt for a quality drive in my enclosure vs a lesser drive that's ready to go, especially if the price is similar.
Yup, thanks for the info about Rescuezilla. Downloading and imaging now.

Serious question: I have a hard time in my feeble mind trusting these companies that come out of no where. Never heard of Leven or the many other bargain brands SSD's which I assume are either knockoffs or bulk purchased old technology retrofitted. Is this thought process still valid when using the mindset of finding a cheap boot drive for a customer build on a budget? I don't follow tech details very deeply anymore and my machine build amounts are very low from what they once were.

Serious question: I have a hard time in my feeble mind trusting these companies that come out of no where. Never heard of Leven or the many other bargain brands SSD's which I assume are either knockoffs or bulk purchased old technology retrofitted. Is this thought process still valid when using the mindset of finding a cheap boot drive for a customer build on a budget? I don't follow tech details very deeply anymore and my machine build amounts are very low from what they once were.
Anybody starting out in the business will be buying from the big 3 or 4 nand producers and just slapping a controller and a level with it. For a customer I would buy a name brand. For personal use, depending on the price delta I’d consider cheaper less wel known brands. Often times these brands are established players in other regional markets and just now breaking into North America or Europe. Once they get brand recognition they hope to get some pricing power to improve margins.

Sorry for the confusion. Clonezilla does have the ability to shrink/extend partitions to fit the destination drive when restoring from a backed up image, but it appears Rescuezilla does not have that feature as far as I can tell. I was under the impression that Rescuezilla was simply an easier to use GUI version of Clonezilla, but it seems that isn't the case, it's also missing some features from Clonezilla. I'll do more testing later to confirm.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. Clonezilla does have the ability to shrink/extend partitions to fit the destination drive when restoring from a backed up image, but it appears Rescuezilla does not have that feature as far as I can tell. I was under the impression that Rescuezilla was simply an easier to use GUI version of Clonezilla, but it seems that isn't the case, it's also missing some features from Clonezilla. I'll do more testing later to confirm.
Or clone it as suggested to the same size, then use Mini Tool Partition Wizard (https://www.partitionwizard.com/) after the fact and expand the drive to maximum available... it's free and completely reliable.

I have used many leven ssds for laptop upgrades and am currently running a 1 TB in this machine. I have had 0 issues with any of them in the last year and a half.

Or clone it as suggested to the same size, then use Mini Tool Partition Wizard (https://www.partitionwizard.com/) after the fact and expand the drive to maximum available... it's free and completely reliable.
It turns out Rescuezilla has gparted built in which can resize the drive after cloning it. Probably easier to just go with that since its built in and it works for both Windows and Linux installs.
But yes there's different options out there.

I'm having a hard time booting up to Rescuezilla via USB stick. Keeps giving me a boot error...anyone tried recently on a x570 chipset?

Is Gparted now quite compatible with recovery partitions, GPT and windows 11? I have had quite a lot of issues in the past and switched to free or lite versions of commercial tools like Easus, but would prefer to use a open source tool if it’s reliable.

Is Gparted now quite compatible with recovery partitions, GPT and windows 11? I have had quite a lot of issues in the past and switched to free or lite versions of commercial tools like Easus, but would prefer to use a open source tool if it’s reliable.
I don't use Windows 11 but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It has supported GPT partitions for a while now.

Back