SSD Not Recognized

justasiam

n00b
Hey all, I am new here and hope to be able to contribute the online help you are providing. However, I have to start with a question:

I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on a home built computer. I just bought a WD Blue SSD 2 TB drive.

First, I removed my existing 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD drive, so I would have an easily accessible open port. The computer did not recognize the "K" drive was gone, so I rebooted. All is cool now.

However, when I plugged in the WD Blue drive into the computer using the same proven connectors, the computer did not see the drive. No expected "ding," nothing. I rebooted the computer again, and still nothing. I went in Device Manager and Computer Manager, and they do not see the drive.

P.S. Now, I unplugged the WD Blue drive and re-connected the 860 EVO, and the machine does not see that drive either.

Ideas?

Did you look in disk manager and initialize it?

First, I removed my existing 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD drive, so I would have an easily accessible open port. The computer did not recognize the "K" drive was gone, so I rebooted. All is cool now.

You switched the drives while the computer was off, right?

However, when I plugged in the WD Blue drive into the computer using the same proven connectors, the computer did not see the drive. No expected "ding," nothing. I rebooted the computer again, and still nothing. I went in Device Manager and Computer Manager, and they do not see the drive.

P.S. Now, I unplugged the WD Blue drive and re-connected the 860 EVO, and the machine does not see that drive either.

Try a program such as CrystalDiskInfo, as that will show you info about the drive even if it's having issues: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Double-check the SATA cables, to make sure that it didn't wiggle loose on the motherboard end. Potentially switch to another SATA port if you have multiple available, and try a different SATA power cable.

What are you using as your boot drive?

According to my research, SATA drives can be disconnected and reconnected while the power is still on. I did this while the power was on. However, I did shutdown the computer several times to reset everything.

Yes, I did go to Disk Manager, the drive was not listed there. I re-scanned, and got the same result. This is the same now with both the old drive and the new one.

According to my research, SATA drives can be disconnected and reconnected while the power is still on. I did this while the power was on.

While it's technically possible to do it while the computer is on in some cases (like with an external hot-swap bay, when the drive is configured for quick removal), in practice you should absolutely shut down the computer first.

At this point I'd try them in another computer to make sure you didn't destroy both drives.

While it's technically possible to do it while the computer is on in some cases (like with an external hot-swap bay, when the drive is configured for quick removal), in practice you should absolutely shut down the computer first.

At this point I'd try them in another computer to make sure you didn't destroy both drives.
This!

OK, I replaced the WD Blue drive with a brand new one. I plugged it into my computer (this time with the power turned off) and still got nothing. No drive letter, no detection by the bios or Computer Manager or Device Manager.

I even plugged into a cable I have that allows me to plug a hard drive into my computer via USB like an external drive. Nothing.

Ideas?

Just now. Same thing. I just sent it back to Amazon and bought a Corsair SSD drive instead.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

open classic Power options and disable Fast startup (Zero point using it if your on a SSD,even on a HDD its a bad idea because drivers and system state is restored on bootup witch can result in an inconsistent system state becues last shutdown wasn't an actual shutdown more like a logged off sleep)

Back