Squid server - only cache .tar files (for an extended period)

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
I'm trying to set up a squid server, and between the muscle relaxers I'm on (yay fucked up back from picking up a piece of stupid paper) and my general exhaustion, I'm having a fit figuring out the appropriate refresh_pattern

What I need:
I have a set of servers running an application that download "bundles" (tar files) from a web source to deploy to a set of internal systems. These tar files basically never change, but they're rather large (2G-15G) and the download source throttles to 50k/s - on top of that, instead of just doing a wget / curl / something sane, the app designer decided to write his OWN download tool in java that has neither error handling, or the ability to handle anything but the full 50k/s of download (any disruption/etc fails the download and you have to start over). This means that I normally have to sit in front of the system and whack "retry download" a few dozen times before it manages to complete... and there are 30 bundles for each of these servers I have to download. Fortunately, they're the SAME bundles, so I can just (supposedly) cache them, use a proxy, and have them download from the cache server!

I need to ONLY cache tar files - XML, html, etc needs to poll through transparently (as that part DOES change), and I need it to save those tar files for month(s) (I can manually clear the cache if for some reason they do change).

I've got 1TB set aside for the squid cache (will need about 600G of that), now I'm working on the refresh pattern. Here's what I have so far, but before I implement this (because I do have them, slowly, downloading in the background) I'd like a sanity check:

Code:
refresh_pattern *.tar:    0 90% 86400 override-expire
refresh_pattern *: 0 0% 0 refresh-ims

Are these sane? Do I even need the second one (if all other default refresh_patterns are commented out)?

Back