Spy hardware detection

Fronzel

n00b
Hi,

I've been having PC problems for a while now. I suspect someone installed hardware to be able to spy on my computer activity (possibly, streaming to a kind of site). If someone were to spy on someone else in this way, how would he do it? Would he use certain hardware or certain software?

If I were to take pictures of the contents of my hardware case, would you be able to identify any hardware that doesn't belong there?

In addition, if someone were to install hidden cameras in someones house, possibly through TV or other electronics, how would he do it?

Additional, possibly helpful, info: I bought this computer a while ago, ran completely fine, never had to open it. About a year and a half ago I rechecked, and someone had broken the seal, so I know it must have been opened for some reason. Does this ring a bell for someone, as a way of spying on someone's computer activity?

Thanks.

I've been having PC problems for a while now. I suspect someone installed hardware to be able to spy on my computer activity

Thats a hell of a leap. Why would anyone care about you? Computers slow down over time. This can be caused by failing hard drives, installed software, poorly tested software updates, or just "bit rot". How long is "a while ago". Consumer electronics have really short warranty periods. I've had those "security" stickers fall off after a year before.

Also, anyone capable of breaking into your house to install sophisticated monitoring hardware in you computer is also capable of breaking into your house and making you disappear, so good luck with that.

Spying is far more likely to occur via software than hardware these days.

Unless you are someone special or you know someone that has a very specific reason, the likelihood that you being spied on is essentially zero.

Other than the seal being broken and your computer running slow, do you have any other reason to believe someone is spying on you?

lol, unless you work with something top secret (which I doubt and you shouldn't have that on your home pc anyways) then you've been watching wayyyyy too many movies.

You've had it over a year and a half so far and never cleaned it? That right there is your problem, the amount of dust and dirt you have in there is slowing down if not preventing your fans from turning which means your CPU and GPU are downclocking to stay under the max temp....

Do take a pic of the inside, let's see how much dust you have in there

Yeah... I would be interested to inside this machine as well... if the machine is dirty it can EASILY cause slow-downs. I've seen it multiple times... CPU being throttled because of over-heating.

Hardware implants are unlikely after you have possession of the device, LEO's don't bother with them at all now if the device is in the targets possession, they will however interdict packages enroute to the targets. Look on youtube for the 30c3 presentation given by Jacob Applebaum titled "To Protect and Infect pt.2", there he covers hardware implants circa 2008.

Most LEO's are using software implants now, Finfisher's "Finspy", products from Gamma, HackingTeam, and others. If you are using windows, get this from the EFF, https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/...ol-can-expose-illegitimate-state-surveillance , This app uses Yara to scan for the known current versions of those same software implants. If your still worried about Hardware implants, MITM your own connection and capture all the packets and go from there, and get an SDR(software defined radio) and then find and ID the signals you see.

They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice men in their clean white coats
They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle thier thumbs and toes
They're coming to take me away Ha Ha Ha

I suppose I could maybe consider this a legitimate question if the OP lived in Russia or China....... yeah, right. :p

Back