Space invaders pt2

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-dying-from-gpu-sag

Looks like 2x00 and 3x00 are dying from sag, creating space invader artifacts.

I wonder if this was the original case?
No the original was a batch of bad memory caused by some tainted chemicals. It was believed but never proven to be a case of industrial sabotage. It only affected Taiwanese supply and happened just as China was ramping up a campaign of “our facilities are just as good, cheaper, and more reliable” advertisements to various industries.

Last edited:
Here is an article from when it affected TSMC, but I recall the issue cropping up in 2018 for Samsung, Hynix, and a couple of others, as they all made comments about tainted chemicals causing poor yields and looking into how those chemicals entered into their supply as those are strictly regulated and vigorously tested for purity at all stages.

https://www.theregister.com/2019/01/28/tsmc_chemical_blunder/

If your GPU is droopy, you need to get it fixed.

c82c5e84cd3506a20c4fde1e635fc16f--cone-basset-hound.jpg

No the original was a batch of bad memory caused by some tainted chemicals. It was believed but never proven to be a case of industrial sabotage. It only affected Taiwanese supply and happened just as China was ramping up a campaign of “our facilities are just as good, cheaper, and more reliable” advertisements to various industries.
Here is an article from when it affected TSMC, but I recall the issue cropping up in 2018 for Samsung, Hynix, and a couple of others, as they all made comments about tainted chemicals causing poor yields and looking into how those chemicals entered into their supply as those are strictly regulated and vigorously tested for purity at all stages.

https://www.theregister.com/2019/01/28/tsmc_chemical_blunder/

I have no doubt china is behind 'tainted chemicals'. There's a lot of that type of stuff ending up in pet food that's sourcing raw materials from china. And they wonder why everyone hates them?

I have no doubt china is behind 'tainted chemicals'. There's a lot of that type of stuff ending up in pet food that's sourcing raw materials from china. And they wonder why everyone hates them?
China has issues but hate is a strong word, industrial sabotage is not as uncommon as you might think, it's not exactly a thing only China does.
China has been a dumping ground for the world for a good 30 years, their farmlands are all heavily polluted and they are working very hard to get ahead of an impending ecological disaster. Chemical dumping from lax, unenforced, or non-existent environmental laws has resulted in many of their underground aquifers becoming unusable and large swaths of farmlands are polluted to the point where they can no longer be used for human consumption, so the farmers who have absolutely no safety nets or alternatives are left producing product for non-human consumption.
The number of resources they are currently putting into desalination and environmental cleanup research is ahead of just about everybody else, and until COVID put a halt on travel they have been bringing in leaders in the fields of industrial cleanup regularly for consulting work taking care of oil spills left untouched or cleaned for decades.

Many of the current leaders are old enough to have vivid memories of the famines of the 1950's and they are working quite hard on making sure it doesn't happen again, almost like it was traumatizing for them and they want no part of reliving another.

not just pet food. did you hear about there being dangerous amounts of heavy metals in 30-40% of spices that were tested?
https://www.consumerreports.org/hea...contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead-a6246621494/

and man being an electrician i remember when the chinese drywall thing went down. it about put some companies out of business (prob did) having to rip out and replace all that stuff because they were all new houses still under warranty.

oh and the kids toys that contained rufies!!??? i mean what even is that? well i guess you get enough of that in a baby's system it could prob kill them.

China has issues but hate is a strong word, industrial sabotage is not as uncommon as you might think, it's not exactly a thing only China does.
China has been a dumping ground for the world for a good 30 years, their farmlands are all heavily polluted and they are working very hard to get ahead of an impending ecological disaster. Chemical dumping from lax, unenforced, or non-existent environmental laws has resulted in many of their underground aquifers becoming unusable and large swaths of farmlands are polluted to the point where they can no longer be used for human consumption, so the farmers who have absolutely no safety nets or alternatives are left producing product for non-human consumption.
The number of resources they are currently putting into desalination and environmental cleanup research is ahead of just about everybody else, and until COVID put a halt on travel they have been bringing in leaders in the fields of industrial cleanup regularly for consulting work taking care of oil spills left untouched or cleaned for decades.

Many of the current leaders are old enough to have vivid memories of the famines of the 1950's and they are working quite hard on making sure it doesn't happen again, almost like it was traumatizing for them and they want no part of reliving another.
I don't think it's as strong a word as what a lot of countries and people around the world feel towards them. Industrial sabotage probably isn't uncommon today, but a lot of this started in the third world and china has led the way on how to 'make it work for you', laws be damned.

china allowed themselves to become a dumping ground and now are shipping that toxic sludge to everyone who is buying from them in the form of tainted raw materials, including food. There were a lot of pet deaths in 2007 and later years that were attributed to tainted raw materials from china. I've seen how the third world operates and it's all about a song and dance of the great and powerful oz while someone works the controls to make the charade complete. There may be advances in cleaning up that mess, but that's probably more of a 'we're doing something about it' PR with a 'we don't have to worry about it' pacification effect--except that since covid, many people even in china are waking up to reality.

Famine, poverty, war, revolutions, et al, all leave traumatic scars that are there for life. What people do with what they have experienced determines if they end up great or just greatly hated.

not just pet food. did you hear about there being dangerous amounts of heavy metals in 30-40% of spices that were tested?
https://www.consumerreports.org/hea...contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead-a6246621494/

and man being an electrician i remember when the chinese drywall thing went down. it about put some companies out of business (prob did) having to rip out and replace all that stuff because they were all new houses still under warranty.

oh and the kids toys that contained rufies!!??? i mean what even is that? well i guess you get enough of that in a baby's system it could prob kill them.
God dammit, why the mf does it have to be orgeno! I love adding that to my pizza. :( Why can't these mf just be honest? This is why everything just needs to come back to being produced domestic again where there is at least a semblance of law and order. :mad:

God dammit, why the mf does it have to be orgeno! I love adding that to my pizza. :( Why can't these mf just be honest? This is why everything just needs to come back to being produced domestic again where there is at least a semblance of law and order. :mad:
it's not much better in the states.. all you have to do is look at the ridiculous amount of food being recalled for salmonella because companies can't be bothered to clean their equipment.. while i'm sure china is guilty of some stuff it's ultimately a world wide problem, but it's not big news for the western media unless they can put the china badge on it.

it's not much better in the states.. all you have to do is look at the ridiculous amount of food being recalled for salmonella because companies can't be bothered to clean their equipment.. while i'm sure china is guilty of some stuff it's ultimately a world wide problem, but it's not big news for the western media unless they can put the china badge on it.
Not worldwide, some areas have not let large corporations buy their way out of basic safety (esp. meat / rail / pharm here in the US).

Well in the states they have at least passed all those right-to-work bills so they can legally put those 14-year-olds back in charge of cleaning the processing plants because they are very well suited for cleaning jobs it seems.

Well in the states they have at least passed all those right-to-work bills so they can legally put those 14-year-olds back in charge of cleaning the processing plants because they are very well suited for cleaning jobs it seems.
That is not what right to work does. Unless someone is twisting it to weasel around something else.

Child labor laws are separate from having to pay union dues to work.

That is not what right to work does. Unless someone is twisting it to weasel around something else.

Child labor laws are separate from having to pay union dues to work.
Yeah, Iowa, Alabama, and many others are all working on getting their kids back to work because they can't find enough people so meat-packing plants, industrial cleaning, demolition, logging, etc. With immigration at historic lows and unemployment hovering around 3.5% (for now) rather than raise wages and fight for employees with working conditions and such they are looking for kids who don't know better or don't have better options going as low as 14 years old.

Yeah, but there's regulations here that are supposed to prevent that, so people can get in trouble. I've seen it in the third world--if you saw where some of the 'food' and other things came from you'd see that eating off a paved road in the US is 100x more sanitary.

Wife is going to start an herb garden--looks like I'm going to just plant some fresh stuff.

Yeah, Iowa, Alabama, and many others are all working on getting their kids back to work because they can't find enough people so meat-packing plants, industrial cleaning, demolition, logging, etc. With immigration at historic lows and unemployment hovering around 3.5% (for now) rather than raise wages and fight for employees with working conditions and such they are looking for kids who don't know better or don't have better options going as low as 14 years old.
A good friend of mine from Alabama who's now a Naval officer as well as a mechanical engineer was working at BK at age 14 nearly 20+ years ago. There have always been rules to allow 'kids' to work, but with limits on the number of hours, etc. But that's for an employer-employee situation. If you're working independently like my brother and I were for most of our early teens (and even before for my brother), we simply had 1099s from each of the companies and paid taxes on our tax returns each year. We did the work and we got paid. Today, you'd want to set up a legal entity and would probably need to be 18 to do that, but there's nothing to stop a kid from earning and filing tax returns.

oh you're gonna hate the one that came out this week then. you thought it was bad in the spices? listen to what they're finding in chocolate:

Yeah seriously--have you seen any licensed roofing employees lately?
Yes and he does great work but he’s booked solid for the next 18 months. He’s doing my neighbours house, one of my trees topped and put a small hole in it :(. I managed to get him to bump it up the list in exchange for fixing his kids gaming rigs that were completely fucked up from all the stuff you would expect to find on some teenager PC’s.

The harder job is finding licensed and insured tree fallers… these things are 80+ ft and to keep the peace all 6 of them need to come down.

Yes and he does great work but he’s booked solid for the next 18 months. He’s doing my neighbours house, one of my trees topped and put a small hole in it :(. I managed to get him to bump it up the list in exchange for fixing his kids gaming rigs that were completely fucked up from all the stuff you would expect to find on some teenager PC’s.

The harder job is finding licensed and insured tree fallers… these things are 80+ ft and to keep the peace all 6 of them need to come down.
Google certified arborist plus your zip code and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Google certified arborist plus your zip code and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
I got one who has me on his list and he is highly recommended, but before he can take them down the insurance people want the trees inspected by a 3'rd party arborist who isn't on the payroll of either insurance company because they are disputing whos policy needs to cover the damage because the guy who owns the house my neighbor is renting claimed to be a licensed tree faller who thinks the trees looked dangerous and I should have recognized they were a problem. But the inspector who my provider sent out said that the trees looked healthy with no visible signs that they would be a danger and now I get caught in the middle of 2 companies who will spend $20,000 to figure out who takes the $5,000 bill. All I know is I am going to get the most expensive firewood I have ever paid for.

Lol, I was working at 14 in a little place similar to DQ. Why is working at 14 a bad thing? I mean they limit your hours because of school, but it was money I didn't have before.

Lol, I was working at 14 in a little place similar to DQ. Why is working at 14 a bad thing? I mean they limit your hours because of school, but it was money I didn't have before.
DQ sure, but using industrial cleaners for sanitizing meat packing plants? Cleaning the insides of tanker containers?, Working the fields harvesting Tobacco? The bills are mostly allowing minors in jobs that are constantly getting caught employing large amounts of undocumented workers or have been heavily dependent on temporary foreign workers.
These proposed laws exist to give them an option other than paying a fair wage to an adult who knows their worth.
The backers of these laws are coming from the likes of General Mills which was recently caught employing hundreds of Guatemalan children as young as 13 to work night shifts—very different work than a 14-year-old working the dinner rush and weekends at a DQ I would think.

Last edited:
These proposed laws exist to give them an option other than paying a fair wage to an adult who knows their worth.
If the 3.5% unemployment figure are true, is it not more other than employing undocumented worker ?

If unemployment is low, big wage growth can change who "win" the labor but does not create labor, but maybe labor participation is low because of too low wage.

DQ sure, but using industrial cleaners for sanitizing meat packing plants? Cleaning the insides of tanker containers?, Working the fields harvesting Tobacco? The bills are mostly allowing minors in jobs that are constantly getting caught employing large amounts of undocumented workers or have been heavily dependent on temporary foreign workers.
The backers of these laws are coming from the likes of General Mills which was recently caught employing hundreds of Guatemalan children as young as 13 to work night shifts—very different work than a 14-year-old working the dinner rush and weekends at a DQ I would think.
If I could have gotten started early in industrial/ municipal cleaning I would have.

If the 3.5% unemployment figure are true, is it not more other than employing undocumented worker ?

If unemployment is low, big wage growth can change who "win" the labor but does not create labor, but maybe labor participation is low because of too low wage.
Well, employing undocumented workers is illegal no matter how you swing it, and doing so hundreds of people at a time is blatantly so, they have processes you can do to bring in workers legally, and with the proper pay, people will apply. But if the only way you can remain in business is by actively violating the law or finding new ways to rip off or exploit your employees, you deserve not to be in business.
But that is a different matter for a different place and is wildly off-topic here which I realize is mostly my fault but still I should try and put a stop to it before I get this thread locked.

On topic though, the GPU sag issue they reported is mostly bunk, the PCBs are designed for flex and the solder they use is more than adequate to handle that for extended periods.
The failed 2080TI's they were dealing with in his repair videos show all the signs of running volt modded as mining cards for too long and not from "flexing".

Yep, and that's par for the course now for legit stuff which is riduculous (hint hint, this is what it is like in the third world too for legit stuff/services). Pretty cool trade you were able to do with him.

I actually know a very good friend that does tree work and is fully legit. He covers N Alabama.

I got one who has me on his list and he is highly recommended, but before he can take them down the insurance people want the trees inspected by a 3'rd party arborist who isn't on the payroll of either insurance company because they are disputing whos policy needs to cover the damage because the guy who owns the house my neighbor is renting claimed to be a licensed tree faller who thinks the trees looked dangerous and I should have recognized they were a problem. But the inspector who my provider sent out said that the trees looked healthy with no visible signs that they would be a danger and now I get caught in the middle of 2 companies who will spend $20,000 to figure out who takes the $5,000 bill. All I know is I am going to get the most expensive firewood I have ever paid for.
And don't forget how they'll jack up your premiums for this experience, lol.

I loved working as a kid--you learned so much that adults wouldn't even know how to do. Have you ever operated an original at&t switchboard that looks like this? Well I have!! :D
32f745f01c322b63b4d14e06aa952a46.jpg

It was replaced by a very small pbx called a candela microswitch--while it handed things a bit more automated, you could hear the relays that did all the work. For a 22 room motel, it worked very well. I learned so much about electronics just using these machines. (y)

I wish we still had the switchboard--it was still working fine when we pulled it out of service and was so heavy that we literally just kept it in place and used it as a desk for the candela.

Cut the ability for a business to hire anyone illegally (which already comes with $25k fines for anyone interested in starting a grass roots effort to bust them all), and then the businesses will have to reassess if their business model can even work. It may kill the business too, but then everyone is out of work and someone will think of a better way as that's capitalism in a nut shell.

Well, employing undocumented workers is illegal no matter how you swing it, and doing so hundreds of people at a time is blatantly so, they have processes you can do to bring in workers legally, and with the proper pay, people will apply. But if the only way you can remain in business is by actively violating the law or finding new ways to rip off or exploit your employees, you deserve not to be in business.
But that is a different matter for a different place and is wildly off-topic here which I realize is mostly my fault but still I should try and put a stop to it before I get this thread locked.

On topic though, the GPU sag issue they reported is mostly bunk, the PCBs are designed for flex and the solder they use is more than adequate to handle that for extended periods.
The failed 2080TI's they were dealing with in his repair videos show all the signs of running volt modded as mining cards for too long and not from "flexing".
I just have to say--I totally agree. And I'm a business owner. (y)

Back